Swimming Pools Surin Area,,,, How Much ?

JOCKANESE

Hi Folks

Been trying to find as much info as possible about building a swimming pool at the same time as house later this year,,, i would appreciate any feedback about experiences (good reputable companies) could we save cash by digging the hole while we have machinery on site for house building ?,, particularly the costs,, we are in the Surin area

pool dimensions - (approx) 8m x 4m - 1.3 deep

1) which type - concrete, fibreglass etc

2) chlorine or salt

3) skimmer or overflow ( does a fibreglass pool automatically mean skimmer etc)

Thanks for any help and advice.

Cheers, Jock

Chlorination by direct addition of chlorine or conversion of salt into chlorine?

Not possible to give a yes-no answer. My two pennyworth, having run my pool on both systems is:

• Chucking in chlorine powder or granules is much cheaper if you properly cost in the purchase, renewal and maintenance costs of the salt conversion kit and include the cost of cyanauric acid (CyA is expensive unless you run a combined approach of manually dosing with stabilised chlorine every so often)
  • You can detect the salt in the water, even though it is much less offensive than sea water. I personally prefer the feel of a non-salt water chlorinated pool, but others disagree (some deny you can detect salt, some wrongly think chlorine-dosed pools smell of chlorine and some like the smoothness/softness salt gives to your skin)
  • A salt-chlorinated pool is much easier to maintain. The pool sides seem to require no brushing and you can pretty much leave the pool alone for a few weeks. All chemical levels are much more constant/predictable when you have equipment that is keeping a constant free chlorine level (though you could replicate that with a chlorine dosing machine)
  • The industry will tell you that direct chlorine attacks your pool grouting and even your tiles over only a few years. I have not seen normal users confirm that.
  • Salt-conversion makes it easier for a casual pool boy (like my BIL!) to maintain your pool when you are away.
  • Some people dislike handling chlorine powder. Some people dislike humping 25kg sacks of salt around. Some people have help and would not stoop to such sordid details anyway! I don't find chorine powder offensive or dangerous and I'm still fit enough to hump my own sacks.

Your decision tree should be:

• You and pool-using members of your family should try a swim session in pools of both systems and see what you think and how strongly you think. Noone buys cars without test-driving them first. Most people buy pools at an equivalent expense without testing the system first!
  • Are you present most of the time and who will look after the pool while you are away? If I was a OMOOMO oil worker and my BIL was untrainable I would definitely go for salt conversion.
  • Is maintenance cost a critical consideration?
  • Not for you, but how big is the surface area of your intended pool. I have read that very large pools (100 sq.m plus, but maybe bigger than this, can't remember the exact cut-off point I read) cannot be adequately chlorinated by a salt-conversion cell without an uneconomic and otherwise unnecessary amount of pumping time/power

Still can't decide? Don't be intimidated into forking out for salt conversion without first trying out the cheaper alternative of manual dosing. Instruct your pool builder to design it so that a converter can be retro-fitted later. It's only a question of having a place to hang the control box and leaving a long enough piece of pipe on the return side of the filter to allow the converter cell to be plumbed in.

On balance I will continue with my salt-chlorination approach until the conversion cell expires and think about it again then. I'll probably renew. Ease of maintenance and the cleaner pool I seem to get is a big plus for me.

• Like 1

Santisuk

A huge help, and much appreciated. As our pool will be relatively small and i'll be there 52 weeks a year and i'm still able to lug 25kg bags around the shop,,, that certainly appeals to me. The retro fitted converter also seems to be a wise move if i've understood correctly.

Thanks again for the advice, i'll certainly be bringing up those issue with whichever pool provider we decide on in the end.

All the best, Jock

i built my own concrete pool with the help of a well respected TV member in Phuket , in Isaan i was quoted 600k with standard tiling for salt water pool using very average equipment ..i built it myself for less than 300K using mosaics ...and top of the range Aussie equipment ... 10m x 3.5m .....

• 4 months later...

I would suggest to move into an estate that has a community pool. If not then visit other people that have pools who give a glowing report about their pool builders and use that builder. Never trust expats unless you have seen there work and you have references from independent people that have used their services.

1) which type - concrete, fibreglass etc

I have a concrete pool.

2) chlorine or salt

I have salt, but bad idea. No one in Khon Kaen understands salt water pools. I had the maintenance guy adding table salt to our pool. The new guy threw chlorine tablets in and neglected the salt. Get chlorine pool as every Thai pool maintenance worked understands them.

3) skimmer or overflow ( does a fibreglass pool automatically mean skimmer etc)

I have overflow. Looks good, but it is more expensive and is just a another place the water can leak from if the expat is incompetent.

Look at all the pools around your area and get the same as them. Use the same builder as them and get the same maintenance guy as them.

If there pools are looking good then you are on a winner.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i built my own concrete pool with the help of a well respected TV member in Phuket , in Isaan i was quoted 600k with standard tiling for salt water pool using very average equipment ..i built it myself for less than 300K using mosaics ...and top of the range Aussie equipment ... 10m x 3.5m .....

I will be building a pool in isaan this year.

Some people bought their pumps etc from australia and i was wondering if you did so and the brand and import duty costs involved.

My pool will concrete and reo, about 15 x 4 x 2.5 m.

I used an approx cost calculator on a surin pool company site, and while their pool construction pics look great, seems too expensive to me.

I am in aus at the moment and there is a pool expo on for the next couple of days so i would like to know what pumps and motors to look at and salt water clorinators and see if buying them here and sending to thailand is an option.

I have previously bought teak furniture and electrical stuff from other countries for our house in isaan, the import duty wasnt that bad, but the 'under table' duty, to have the goods released was the killer.