US actor Robin Williams found dead

webfact

Robin always had this sadness inside of him - just jumped right at me whenever I saw one of his movies, even the funny ones. 

I always sensed this too.  I remember thinking it when watching Good Will Hunting.  His eyes told a lot of the suffering and torment inside I think. Consequently, he played dramatic roles brilliantly where he had a chance to show that very real sadness of the tears of a clown.

• Like 1

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We went to the same High School, although he graduated a few years before I did.

I used to see him around Marin County at local eateries and he lived about 15 minutes away from me on the water in a very expensive home in Tiburon, CA with a nice view of San Francisco.

Makes you wonder why someone with so much would check out.

ROBIN WILLIAMS 1951-2014
US President Obama calls Williams 'one of a kind'

30240757-01_big.jpg
The official Sesame Street handle tweeted a photo of Williams laughing with the note;

He arrived in our lives as an alien - but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit. : Obama

WASHINGTON: -- US President Barack Obama called Robin Williams "one of a kind" who shared his talent "freely and generously with those who needed it most."

Williams, Oscar winner and comedian legend, was pronounced dead at his home in California Monday and officials said it appeared to be a suicide.

Obama said in a statement issued Monday night that Williams "arrived in our lives as an alien — but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit," referring to Williams’ breakthrough role in the TV show "Mork and Mindy."

The president said the actor was generous with his comic talents for those who needed it, including troops abroad. "Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan, and everything in between."

The statement said: "The Obama family offers our condolences to Robin’s family, his friends, and everyone who found their voice and their verse thanks to Robin Williams."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/US-President-Obama-calls-Williams-one-of-a-kind-30240757.html

[thenation]2014-08-12[/thenation]

• Like 1

It wasn't the alcohol, perhaps that just provided the lubrication.

I liked his stand-up better than his movies, and I liked his movies a lot.

Robin on golf in Scotland: (p.s. he did that routine after having heart surgery)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4

A great comedy actor but my favourite stuff was when he done stand up comedy. This is one of my most favourite ever routine's.
  • Like 1

He was so amazing in The World According to Garp. Sad news.

Money and fame... (almost) everyone is after them (especially here in Asia where being famous is considered like talent and being rich like a blessing from karma) but when you see how many famous actors or singers end up killing themselves, it makes you wonder...

I like Williams, but there was always a manic-depressive aspect to his humor. I also enjoyed his acting - particularly his roles in Good Will Hunting and Garp.

Regardless of his undeniable skills as a performer on stage and in front of the camera, it came as no surprise that he was a man with demons - I recall reading an interview with him years ago where he was very open about his problems.  Condolences to his family.  

I was blown away when I heard the news.  Deeply saddened. Robin Williams came on the scene during my high school years cracking me up in Mork and Mindy series.  He made my eyes well up in Centennial man. He is gone from the earth but he left the world a great legacy in all that he gave of himself. RIP Mr. Williams. 

Edited by pagover

RIP

He always looked depressed to me. I can't understand why so many comedians suffer from  depression.

Interesting.

I totally CAN understand why comedians are prone to depression. I'm not sure I can explain it though. For some insight into this, perhaps watch the t.v. "comedy" show LOUIE. It features a lot of material about depressed and even suicidal comedians. 

In the 1980's I literally "ran into" Robin Williams on the streets a few times (solo, without entourage, already very famous), on Folsom Street SF, South of Market (daytime). Not sure what he was doing there. Don't even remember what I was doing there, but do remember him. Quite hairy! Apparently once named the Godfather of Hollywood Hairiness. 

Yes, beyond the hair, there was indeed something very special about Robin Williams! (An amazing talent.)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

RIP

He always looked depressed to me. I can't understand why so many comedians suffer from  depression.

Interesting.

I totally CAN understand why comedians are prone to depression. I'm not sure I can explain it though. For some insight into this, perhaps watch the t.v. "comedy" show LOUIE. It features a lot of material about depressed and even suicidal comedians. 

In the 1980's I literally "ran into" Robin Williams on the streets a few times (solo, without entourage, already very famous), on Folsom Street SF, South of Market (daytime). Not sure what he was doing there. Don't even remember what I was doing there, but do remember him. Quite hairy! Apparently once named the Godfather of Hollywood Hairiness. 

Yes, beyond the hair, there was indeed something very special about Robin Williams! (An amazing talent.)

" I totally CAN understand why comedians are prone to depression. I'm not sure I can explain it though."

Yes John Cleese suffers also but the most open one to talk about it was Stephen Fry , who even made a BBC documentary about his problem

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/stephen-fry-the-secret-life-of-the-manic-depressive/

I thought he suffered from bipolar disorder?   He was very hyper and that doesn't usually fit with depression.   Regardless of what demons he had, alcohol probably didn't help.   He was a dynamic actor and a credit to his profession.

I lived and worked not too far from where he lived in Marin County quite a few years ago.   I never met him, but did see him occasionally drive by.  

RIP.  

Actually, "bi" polar disorder is when the person continually goes from mania to depression to mania, etc., etc.. 

Very sad that anyone dies but i must be one of the few who didn't find him funny. He just seemed to rely on shouting ever louder to make a joke as in GOOD MORNING VIETNAM.

I get where you are coming from. I never thought of him as being particularly funny. 
What made GOOD MORNING VIETNAM work for me is the fact that he was playing an amateur. He did not really have to be all that hilarious to make the role work. I really enjoyed the movie, but not mainly as a comedy.

There's a scene in G.M.Vietnam where William's farang character is walking, first time, at a Vietnamese street with a beautiful young VN woman who he's got a crush on. It's early evening. She points at a street vender's display and says, "You like fish balls?" He retorts with, "I didn't know fish had balls."