US actor Robin Williams found dead

webfact

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he suffered from bipolar disorder?   He was very hyper and that doesn't usually fit with depression.   Regardless of what demons he had, alcohol probably didn't help.   He was a dynamic actor and a credit to his profession.

I lived and worked not too far from where he lived in Marin County quite a few years ago.   I never met him, but did see him occasionally drive by.  

RIP.  

Actor Robin Williams dead from apparent suicide: police

LOS ANGELES - Oscar-winning actor and comedian Robin Williams was found dead at his home in California from suspected suicide, police said Monday.

A statement from the Marin County Sheriff’s Department said the 63-year-old funnyman was found shortly before midday at his home in Tiburon, northern California.

"At this time, the Sheriff’s Office Coroner Division suspects the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia," the statement said.

According to US media reports, the veteran actor had been battling depression.

One of the most beloved American entertainers of his generation, Williams rose to fame in the iconic US television sitcom "Mork & Mindy".

He later reeled off a string of big-screen hits, which included 1987’s "Good Morning Vietnam", where he played a motormouth US military disc jockey, 1989’s "Dead Poets Society" as a maverick English teacher and 1997’s "Good Will Hunting" which earned him a best supporting actor Oscar.
AFP

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Actor-Robin-Williams-dead-from-apparent-suicide-po-30240753.html

[thenation]2014-08-12[/thenation]

Very sad that anyone dies but i must be one of the few who didn't find him funny. He just seemed to rely on shouting ever louder to make a joke as in GOOD MORNING VIETNAM.

I get where you are coming from. I never thought of him as being particularly funny. 

What made GOOD MORNING VIETNAM work for me is the fact that he was playing an amateur. He did not really have to be all that hilarious to make the role work. I really enjoyed the movie, but not mainly as a comedy. 

Edited by Ulysses G.

What a shame, Alcoholic takes so many lives.   RIP    I will also remember you as Mork.   

I wouldn't be so quick to blame alcoholism. Unless one has direct experience with depression, you would not have an inkling as to how desperate it can be. Though a depressive in itself, alcohol can merely be a soother and it's possible he would've gone sooner without it.

RIP brother.

/If you haven't seen Good Will Hunting, I urge you to watch it// Edited by daveAustin

I thought he suffered from bipolar disorder?   He was very hyper and that doesn't usually fit with depression.   Regardless of what demons he had, alcohol probably didn't help.   He was a dynamic actor and a credit to his profession.

I lived and worked not too far from where he lived in Marin County quite a few years ago.   I never met him, but did see him occasionally drive by.  

RIP.  

Yes, he had Bi Polar  (not sure if he was type i or ii), however I understand that he was in the midst of a depressive episode - not uncommon with Bi -Polar sufferers. It's very sad.

BREAKING NEWS
Robin Williams, actor, comedian and oscar winner, found dead in home

Agencies 

Robin Williams, the Oscar-winning actor and comedian died this morning in his home at the age of 63, according to a police statement.

At 11:55 a.m., police were called to Williams’ home where he was pronounced dead at 12:02 p.m. According to the Marin County Sheriff’s Office Coroner Division "suspects the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia." A comprehensive investigation has yet to be made.

Williams’ publicist has confirmed the news. Mara Roberts, a press representative for Williams, released a statement this afternoon saying that "Robin Williams passed away this morning. He has been battling with depression of late."

His wife, Susan Schneider, also released a statement saying: "This morning I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings," she said in the statement.

"On behalf of Robin’s family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope that the focus will not be on Robin’s death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Robin-Williams-actor-comedian-and-oscar-winner-fou-30240755.html

[thenation]2014-08-12[/thenation]

RIP you brought much talent to the world.
Yes, Robin Williams suffered from bipolar (manic-depression).
Many who do, self medicate unfort through either drugs or alcohol.
Some of the most creative people, actors, & artist suffer from this. Some of the most creative "ordinary" people suffer too. Some walk among you, and you will never know, due to being in correct medicine & controlling it.
The problem right now, some drs are so fast to give diagnosis for this disorder and other ones, that people now do not take any serious, and people are on medication that do not need it.
Mental health awareness needs to be raised, and "fake" diagonis needs to stop.
I am a long time member, just rare poster.
I see some hateful comments about "jumpers", & it breaks my heart. I thought the western world was abit more aware to the these issues.
Mental health issues hit home for me hard, from friends to family.
So, please, while the comments so far here have been kind, due to Robin Williams being a celebrity (one of my favorites), take in account the other news of "ordinary" people we read about. Living in SE Asia, where mental health issues is still very much a taboo topic, it makes it hard for people who live here that do suffer from one of the various types of mental health issues to deal with.
  • Like 2

RIP.  

Yes, he had Bi Polar  (not sure if he was type i or ii), however I understand that he was in the midst of a depressive episode - not uncommon with Bi -Polar sufferers. It's very sad.

Type 1 = considered manic bipolar more manic phases with possible hulicinations, milder depressive states
Type 2 = considered depressive bipolar, more depressive states with mild manic states

How terribly sad.  One of my most favorite actors.  His new show was very funny also.  Incredibly talented.

Actually it wasn't and it got cancelled. Which maybe was the final straw for an already fragile ego.

RIP, such a loss. Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

Very sad news. He was a real talent. A very good actor, and a great comedian. Real stream of consciousness comedy. Brilliant. Perhaps that was part of the problem. Too difficult living inside his head. A lot of really intelligent people find that their intelligence is not their ally. Too much analysis. I have often thought it might have been better to have been born with about 10 or 15 less points in IQ, though I am not brilliant, that is for sure. Intelligence can get you in trouble, if you do not know how to harness your mind. It is a shame, as he did not consider the amount of pain this act would cause, his family, and his friends. Not to mention his fans.

He had the Woody Allen syndrome. He had everything in the world he needed, and every reason in the world to be living a happy and fulfilling life. He was an actor and a comedian, who's work was appreciated by millions. Yet, he still found a way to be miserable. 

• Like 1

RiP ,one of the greatest comedians & actors ever , of my generation ! A loss that reminds me of when we lost Belushi.

way ahead of his time. Robin Williams will be missed, and there is no two ways about it. A genius in Comedy , who also honed his acting skill to become a master of all kinds of roles to entertain the Public.He was so far out there sometimes ,I laughed so hard I cried !  Just remember Na na nOO noo , you will be missed by so many !

• Like 1

A big loss for the world and a tragedy beyond belief. Robin always had this sadness inside of him - just jumped right at me whenever I saw one of his movies, even the funny ones. He has given the world so much but still wasn't able to find peace, happiness and contentment for himself - how sad is that? I hope he has found what he was searching for now and that he will get a warm welcome in heaven despite the fact that he took his own life. I will certainly miss him :(

Rest in Peace, Mrs. Doubtfire, Patch Adams, Peter Pan, Robin - I love you! The world loves you!!!

Sincerest condolences to family and friends.

• Like 2