US actor Robin Williams found dead

webfact

A day later and a new morning and still devastated at this loss, the same as heaps of people here in Kiwiland. May be because no matter how life was Robin was a anchor stone that you could place your trust of the beautiful things in life on. May be also because people who have had to let their own loved go the same way that Robin chose are struggling with his wish to leave when he appeared to have more talents than the rest of us could wish for. Maybe because he brought inspiration and hope and opportunity for the average person. Maybe because he brought so much to all that he felt like one of your own. He made life worth living and that is the irony of this loss.
Someone said he was an American icon but i think he is a western world icon. A sad loss. I am grateful of sharing the same life time. He was an inspiration.
Farewell oh Captain, my Captain.

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. Medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits, and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman: 'O me, o life of the questions of these recurring, of the endless trains of the faithless, of cities filled with the foolish. What good amid these, o me, o life?' Answer: that you are here. That life exists, and identity. That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"

~ Dead Poet Socity

Best John Keating quotes:

"O Captain, my Captain. Who knows where that comes from? Anybody? Not a clue? It's from a poem by Walt Whitman about Mr. Abraham Lincoln. Now in this class you can either call me Mr. Keating, or if you're slightly more daring, ‘O Captain my Captain’."
"Why do I stand up here? Anybody? I stand upon my desk to remind myself that we must constantly look at things in a different way."
"They're not that different from you, are they? Same haircuts. Full of hormones, just like you. Invincible, just like you feel. The world is their oyster. They believe they're destined for great things, just like many of you, their eyes are full of hope, just like you. Did they wait until it was too late to make from their lives even one iota of what they were capable? Because, you see gentlemen, these boys are now fertilizing daffodils. But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary."

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by Cuddlycat

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very sad waste.

Don't wish to be accused of bringing levity to the thread, but CNN had a clinical psychologist on speaking about depression and she came up with this brilliant insight "when you start wishing for your death, it is a serious, serious, warning." Yes quite.

The Bangkok Post today said that Mork & Mindy was a spinoff fom Happy Days, news to me, can anyone on here elaborate?

Yes it was, I was a huge Happy Days fan growing up, Fonzie was the coolest!   The character Mork (from Ork), a young Williams at the time, originated on that show for a couple of episodes and I guess the Network liked him so much they gave him his own show!  

It did much better than another spin-off....Joannie Loves Chachi!   

Please let's not just blame this on alcohol, which is just a substance.

Probably a lot of people don't want to blame ethanol as causing or contributing to Williams' suicide; such people are in denial of the harms caused by ethanol, as they themselves are probably consumers. ethanol does not treat depression (but it can make depressed people feel better for only a few hours), but in the longer term can worsen depression. See Alcohol and depression.

The fact that he felt the need to attend rehabilitation for ethanol consumption despite having had used other drugs too (e.g. cocaine), may be one additional piece of evidence that ethanol is more harmful than other drugs and its consumption therefore should not be more condoned than other drugs despite it being legal and others not.

It would be interesting to learn more about Williams' consumption of drugs during his life. Had Williams known of the dangers of ethanol consumption beforehand, would he have avoided making a habit of consuming it, and chosen to consume other safer drugs instead? If so, maybe he would still be alive today.

Please let's not just blame this on alcohol, which is just a substance.

Probably a lot of people don't want to blame ethanol as causing or contributing to Williams' suicide; such people are in denial of the harms caused by ethanol, as they themselves are probably consumers. ethanol does not treat depression (but it can make depressed people feel better for only a few hours), but in the longer term can worsen depression. See Alcohol and depression.

The fact that he felt the need to attend rehabilitation for ethanol consumption despite having had used other drugs too (e.g. cocaine), may be one additional piece of evidence that ethanol is more harmful than other drugs and its consumption therefore should not be more condoned than other drugs despite it being legal and others not.

It would be interesting to learn more about Williams' consumption of drugs during his life. Had Williams known of the dangers of ethanol consumption beforehand, would he have avoided making a habit of consuming it, and chosen to consume other safer drugs instead? If so, maybe he would still be alive today.

One can assume because of his experience in rehab programs of one kind or another that he knew but like many addicts was not able to kick the habit.  There has been enough on the news about it to answer your question. 

And of course some top quality people chose to react to his death by sending abusive messages to his daughter. The mind never ceases to boggle.

But, she responded in a way that would probably have pleased her father.

Twitter Inc. (TWTR) is reviewing its policies on privacy and support for family members of deceased users after Robin Williams’s daughter was sent abusive messages following his death.

“To those who are sending kind words, know that one of his favorite things in the world was to make you all laugh,” Zelda Williams said on her blog this week. “For those who are sending negativity, know that some small, giggling part of him is sending a flock of pigeons to your house to poop on your car.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-14/twitter-reviews-policies-after-robin-williams-s-daughter-abused.html?cmpid=yhoo

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Warning:

This article is depressing:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/suicide-crime-loneliness?src=mp

A great hope gets crushed every time someone reminds us that happiness can be neither assumed nor earned; that we are all prisoners of our own flawed brains; that the ultimate aloneness in each of us is, finally, inviolable.

the scare of possibly losing his intellectual edge would have devastating

Casting forward to a future time - walking around like a 'jittering Mork' wouldn't have concerned him IMHO, as his acting prowess would have gotten around that, even use it to advantage...

Edited by tifino

the scare of possibly losing his intellectual edge would have devastating

But doesn't that happen to a majority of people as they age, I think that he was more than adequately intelligent and aware to have understood that. I'm inclined to think that Parkinsons was a minor contributor to all of this. Regardless, it's now three days since his death and I remain shocked, Mia Farrow was one of the very first people to comment and said something along the lines of, No! you were so loved, how very very true.

Michael J. Fox has done a good job of turning his disease into somewhat of an asset. I love his role on "Suits".Of course, he would be much better off without it.

I think his performance in The Good Wife was excellent.  He was in quite a few episodes, Parkinson's and all.

I didn't make it past season one of Suits.  I'll go back and take a peek.  Thanks for the heads up.

Well it's official: more money doesn't make a person happier. Even Mr. Eastman, the multi-millionaire owner of Kodak Corp pulled the plug on himself.

To me, alcohol is a low-class drug, even if some of its manifestations cost thousands of dollars per bottle. If I wanted to debilitate myself with a drug, I would choose one that feels better than alcohol. As it is, I don't do any drugs except Bayer aspirin once in awhile. My brain, when functioning well (some of the time, thanks), produces bits of seratonin, so that's nice. There's even mention that the pineal gland produces DMT, but I imagine if that's true, it rarely happens.

Robin was the court jester for the English-speaking world. He was like a 33 rpm record put on 78 rpm. Like so many others (many of whom are rich, like Wall Street wheeler dealers), he didn't seem to know how to relax in his being. I wish I'd been able to hang out with him. We're the same age and had similar up-bringing.

To me, alcohol is a low-class drug, even if some of its manifestations cost thousands of dollars per bottle. If I wanted to debilitate myself with a drug, I would choose one that feels better than alcohol.

I agree. I don't enjoy the feeling of alcohol. If they were legal, opium or cocaine would be a lot more difficult to resist!

• Like 1

To me, alcohol is a low-class drug, even if some of its manifestations cost thousands of dollars per bottle. If I wanted to debilitate myself with a drug, I would choose one that feels better than alcohol.

I agree. I don't enjoy the feeling of alcohol. If they were legal, opium or cocaine would be a lot more difficult to resist!

Have to disagree gentlemen, i love the high with beer, after work in the evening, takes the edges off the day and gives everything a nice mellow glow. The trick is to stop once you're on that plateau, any more only means more trips to the bathroom and a dulling of the senses