US actor Robin Williams found dead

webfact

This sucks so much, I dont usually care that much about celebrities but Robin Williams was great, loved this commercial he did with his daughter a few years ago, cant imagine what his kids are going through now. I wonder what must have been going through his mind to make him do this?

http://youtu.be/09wBn4ux3N0

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watch Stephen Fry myself as well. As sometimes his documentary helps people to understand my my problem.

Not a bipolar, but major depressive disorder.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you like Stephen Fry also here he is with Robin Williams. It's hilarious because Robin Williams steals the interviewlaugh.png

Thanks for sharing. I'll watch it tomorrow. I started to watch Stephen Fry as one of my best friend suggested me that it's the best way to make people understand who we are. I have major depressive disorder while he has personality disorder. We were both suicidal in the past. We get through it because we had each others. I talked him out of suicide thoughts and he always listened to me when I need to let it out.

I personally save at least 3 people from commuting suicide. I never happy for what I have but I am proud of myself to save their lives.

• Like 2

I liked some of his movies and am sorry he has done this to his family and friends

Hmm.coffee1.gif

http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2014/aug/12/robin-williams-suicide-and-depression-are-not-selfish?CMP=fb_gu

Robin Williams's death: a reminder that suicide and depression are not selfish

News of Robin Williams’s death due to apparent suicide, said to be a result of suffering severe depression, is terribly sad. But to say taking your own life because of such an illness is a ‘selfish’ act does nothing but insult the deceased, potentially cause more harm and reveal a staggering ignorance of mental health problems

• Like 1

I have never really understood why it is always the good that die so young.

63 might not be 'old' for many on this forum, but it's hardly James Dean or Bruce Lee, is it ? I'm 55 and if I was diagnosed with a terminal condition tomorrow I wouldnt feel that I was being robbed of my 'youth' - Dean and Lee were. No question that Williams had more to give - I simply question whether 63 can be considered 'young'. 

• Like 1

pretty sad that we dont get to see robin williams again. not mork for me, just some psycho comedian with a genius filter between his thoughts and his mouth. gotta be brave enough to go there and he was. guess life was like that for him. i absolutely love robin williams. you were the best and today's world won't produce another you.

Robin once said Jonathan Winters was his Idol, now their both gone to Comedy Paradise. I throughly enjoyed both of their genius talents.

Yes, you can definitely see the Winters influence in a lot of his style. 

;

Yeah and I liked 'em both, the respective mental disorder of each being the basis of their individual style of great humor.

I liked Robin Williams more for his dramatic roles too which had a memorable impact on me. That producers wanted him anchoring such films as Good Will Hunting and Dead Poets Society speaks to his effectiveness as a lead player in two very different kinds of drama and outcome, each of which presents departure as a conclusion.

During this day of nearly five decades of clips of Robin Williams, I saw the one of his visit to the retired Jonathan Winters at Winters' home. Robin said So this is your home and Winters got an intense look on his face then strode forward in a deep voice pointing, "They're buried over there!" Robin nearly disintegrated in a howling laughter. 

Winters' humor was more low key and comfortably done while as has been noted Robin's humor was high energy and definitely manic. Robin was much more balanced and in charge in his dramatic roles than in his stand up stage humor.

Near the end of his life Winters said in a major and very warm interview that he lived his life the way he had wanted it from when he was young. While Robin too realized his career dreams (and then some) it's apparent Robin didn't have the control over his faculties that he'd so desperately wanted and needed to have.

Not the best exit but understandable and hopefully leads to things positive for everyone..

RIP and thx.

Edited by Publicus

UPDATE:

Robin Williams death: Police confirm suicide

(BBC) US actor and comedian Robin Williams took his own life at his California home, police have confirmed.

Marin County Sheriff's Lt Keith Boyd said Williams, 63, had been treated for depression and killed himself by hanging.

The entertainer was last seen alive by his wife on Sunday evening, and was found dead at about noon on Monday, Lt Boyd said.

Tributes have poured forth from President Barack Obama and others.

Lt Boyd said Williams's wife saw him before she went to bed the evening before and left the house at 10:30 the next morning, believing him still to be asleep in another room.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-28765693

[bbc]2014-08-13[/bbc]

UPDATE:

Officials: Robin Williams apparently hanged himself with a belt
By Josh Levs and Alan Duke, CNN

(CNN) -- The tributes to Robin Williams flow from around the world as stunned friends and family search for answers about why the comic legend would take his own life.

Investigators believe Williams, 63, used a belt to hang himself from a bedroom door sometime between late Sunday and when his personal assistant found him just before noon Monday at his home in California, according to Marin County Assistant Deputy Chief Coroner Lt. Keith Boyd.

Boyd would not confirm or deny whether Williams left behind a letter, saying that investigators would discuss "the note or a note" later.

The coroner's investigation "revealed he had been seeking treatment for depression," Boyd told reporters.

"He has been battling severe depression of late," Williams' media representative, Mara Buxbaum, told CNN on Monday. "This is a tragic and sudden loss."

Full story: http://us.cnn.com/2014/08/12/showbiz/robin-williams-dead/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

[cnnews]2014-08-13[/cnnews]

Though Williams had one of Hollywood’s most enduring careers, divorce — from first wife Valerie Velardi in 1988, and from second wife, Marsha Garces in 2008 — had gutted his bank account.

“Divorce is expensive,” he recently said. “I used to joke they were going to call it ‘all the money’, but they changed it to ‘alimony’. It’s ripping your heart out through your wallet.”

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/08/robin-williams-had-serious-money-troubles-in-months-before-his-death-claims-friend-was-the-pressure-too-much/

• Like 1

I watch Stephen Fry myself as well. As sometimes his documentary helps people to understand my my problem.

Not a bipolar, but major depressive disorder.

If you like Stephen Fry also here he is with Robin Williams.   It's hilarious because Robin Williams steals the interviewlaugh.png

it's a fantastic interview that one. love it.

this morning's UK newspapers are just beyond contempt in their reporting of this. 

RIP robin and thanks for so, so many laughs and tears over the years.

2 in 2 days. Lauren Bacall has died.

Shame, but, she had a good and long life at 89.

The only person I can think of who is alive and was part of the Hollywood golden years is Olivia de Havilland.....long may she live.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 2

The only person I can think of who is alive and was part of the Hollywood golden years is Olivia de Havilland.....long may she live.

kirk douglas?

kirk douglas?

Technically yes, but he wasn't a star until the 50's and 60's. Olivia was a star in the 1930's. Golden age as I understand it is 30's and 40's.

• Like 1

The Official Marin County Sheriff's Office Coroner Division report

on the death of Robin Williams. Initial findings. I've posted this for

the facts since being in the media biz myself...the media tend to

twist fact to suit their own ends. This is a PDF file. RIP Robin....

Condolences to the family.

[attachment=278952:857.pdf]

Edited by sunshine51

A very sad waste.

Don't wish to be accused of bringing levity to the thread, but CNN had a clinical psychologist on speaking about depression and she came up with this brilliant insight "when you start wishing for your death, it is a serious, serious, warning." Yes quite.

The Bangkok Post today said that Mork & Mindy was a spinoff fom Happy Days, news to me, can anyone on here elaborate?

Edited by rott

kirk douglas?

Technically yes, but he wasn't a star until the 50's and 60's. Olivia was a star in the 1930's. Golden age as I understand it is 30's and 40's.

May one propose:

Maureen O'Hara.

Luise Rainer.

Rhonda Fleming.

Angela Lansbury.

I think Kirk Douglas qualifies though.

• Like 1

A very sad waste.

Don't wish to be accused of bringing levity to the thread, but CNN had a clinical psychologist on speaking about depression and she came up with this brilliant insight "when you start wishing for your death, it is a serious, serious, warning." Yes quite.

The Bangkok Post today said that Mork & Mindy was a spinoff fom Happy Days, news to me, can anyone on here elaborate?

There was an episode with a script that involved an alien. They brought in Robin Williams at the last moment and everyone was gobsmacked. The episode was a roaring success so they give him his own series.

Henry Winkler was talking about it last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHWXAJhmvyU

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

I honestly am disgusted by some of the reporting and comments that have been made regarding this tragedy.

I prefer to ignore the negative and disgusting and center on the positive and beautiful. I can't change what others say or do, but I can enjoy the goodness that is all around.

A day later and a new morning and still devastated at this loss, the same as heaps of people here in Kiwiland. May be because no matter how life was Robin was a anchor stone that you could place your trust of the beautiful things in life on. May be also because people who have had to let their own loved go the same way that Robin chose are struggling with his wish to leave when he appeared to have more talents than the rest of us could wish for. Maybe because he brought inspiration and hope and opportunity for the average person. Maybe because he brought so much to all that he felt like one of your own. He made life worth living and that is the irony of this loss.

Someone said he was an American icon but i think he is a western world icon. A sad loss. I am grateful of sharing the same life time. He was an inspiration. 

Farewell oh Captain, my Captain. 

“a new morning and still devastated at this loss “

same same. Another one of my favourite entertainers, sadly gone.

I went out on my bicycle ride as usual this morning and thought about Robin Williams also a keen cyclist as he enjoyed biking around the San Francisco area

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1