Absolutely Confused re: Non-Immigrant O-A Multiple Entry 90 Day Rule

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to leave Thailand occasionally to explore the neighboring countries from time to time. If i leave next week... before my first 90 day stay ends #1 do I need a re-entry permit? and #2 If I don't report to Immigration at the end of my 1st 90 day period and then leave the country without a re-entry permit is my 1 year retirement visa cancelled?

Steve

During the validity of your visa you need, as others have mentioned, report your address every 90 day, but you do not need a re-entry permit. Hoever, if you leave Thailand just before your visa expires and return again before the expiry date, you will be given another year's temporary permission to stay. If you want to leave Thailand during that year you will be needing a re-entry permit. It can be obtained for one entry or multiple entries.

Gents can I piggy back onto Steevo's thread and ask .If I get a Spousal 1 year multi entry I wont have to go out every 90 days will I ?

If you mean a multi-entry visa, yes. O-A visa is not given for reason of marriage.

So what most people obtains is instead extension of stay.

Edited by paz

Gents can I piggy back onto Steevo's thread and ask .If I get a Spousal 1 year multi entry I wont have to go out every 90 days will I ?

If you get a multiple entry non-o visa as you spouse's dependent from an embassy or consulate you will have to leave the country every 90 days.

If you get a one year extension of stay as their dependent from immigration you will not have to leave every 90 days.

• Like 1

Yes you are indeed confused. With your kind of VISA you are allowed NOT to have to exit Thailand to stay here. You just report to the immigartion every 90 day and gain another 90 days stay here. If you wish to exit Thailand, than you MUST purchase a so called Re Entry Permit otherwise your VISA will be cancelled as soon as you leave..

Glegolo

Dear Glegolo,

Now you are confused...

Op has an non im o-a multiple entry, valid one year...

Meaning ; leaving and re-enter the kingdom of Thailand is mandatory...

He does not need an re-entry permit if he has indeed an multiple entry...

If he was dough at immigration and changed his status into an extension of stay, then his original visa would be replaced (void) by the extension and he would need an re-entry permit. Also then he would no longer have to leave and re-enter, only report every 90 days at immigration.

Dear Glegolo,

Now you are confused...

Op has an non im o-a multiple entry, valid one year...

Meaning ; leaving and re-enter the kingdom of Thailand is mandatory...

Not mandatory. Holders of O-A visa can stay in country up to one year..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you get a multiple entry non-o visa as you spouse's dependent from an embassy or consulate you will have to leave the country every 90 days.

If you get a one year extension of stay as their dependent from immigration you will not have to leave every 90 days.

Thank you . the second option is what I was doing before , If I enter on a 90 day O and then extend. I was told I cannot make that a Multiple entry though as its an extension of a single entry

Thank you . the second option is what I was doing before , If I enter on a 90 day O and then extend. I was told I cannot make that a Multiple entry though as its an extension of a single entry

Extensions do not carry right of entry because it's not a visa, and you have entered country already. To leave and come back you need to pay for a re-entry permit, single or multiple.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You're right I'm definitely confusing something. What I want is to be able to come and go when I need to work ect and not have to leave every 90 days

You are confusing visa validity with the permit to stay you get from it when you enter the country.

Thanks to all for the great advice. After dissecting I feel as though I am comfortable with my status. The only thing that remains a bit unclear is that my Visa is set to expire June 5 2015. If I leave Thailand say... January 3rd 2015, is my visa good for another year? Which then expires on January 3 2016?

Your visa is valid for one year from the date it was issued by the embassy or consulate. Look at your visa sticker and you will see a enter before date on it. That is last day you can enter the country and get another one year permit to stay,

After the enter before date you will need a re-entry permit if you want to travel to keep your last permit to stay date valid when you re-enter the coutner

I'm definitely confusing something. I want a multi entry but do not want to have to go out every 90 days , I am getting married in a couple of weeks and have full legal custody of my Thai kids , how to do ?

I'm definitely confusing something. I want a multi entry but do not want to have to go out every 90 days , I am getting married in a couple of weeks and have full legal custody of my Thai kids , how to do ?

Marry first, worry later. There is also quite a bit of paperwork needed, so enjoy the wedding at least.

Steevo

This is your definitive answer:

I too am here on a one year Multi Entry Non-immigrant visa category O granted to me as a pensioner. I listened to the guys on here and got more and more confused so that in the end I emailed the Thai Embassy that issued me the visa to get clarity. What we have is a new type of one year visa issued only to a list of specified nationalities. It requires you to do a border run at least every 90 days to keep the visa valid. On return no re entry permit is required so no charges are payable. I have now just completed my first border run and it all went perfectly.

Best of luck

Marry first, worry later. There is also quite a bit of paperwork needed, so enjoy the wedding at least.

I suppose you are right Paz mate , I need to be sorted by December. Before this "Crack down " started I'd never really worried about it now it seems my life has been revolving around going into Thailand to see my kids every month and whether I'll get into the country or not . Bring back the good old days , living in Udon going to Laos every Month and living in Naklua going to Cambodia . Actually I hated the Cambodia one , some right weirdos on the bus

I too am here on a one year Multi Entry Non-immigrant visa category O granted to me as a pensioner. I listened to the guys on here and got more and more confused so that in the end I emailed the Thai Embassy that issued me the visa to get clarity. What we have is a new type of one year visa issued only to a list of specified nationalities. It requires you to do a border run at least every 90 days to keep the visa valid. On return no re entry permit is required so no charges are payable. I have now just completed my first border run and it all went perfectly.

What people is trying to communicate here, is that since running to border every 90 days is expensive, inconvenient, and dangerous, you can obtain something called "extension of stay", that will allow you to quietly stay in your home for up to one year before renewing it. Of course if you prefer the treatment you get with your"new type of visa" that's fine as well. Oh, by the way the OP does not have the same visa type as you.

Fundamental: Visa or Extension thereof, issued by any Thai-Embassy or Consulate for long term visa (Retirement or Marriage) =MUST leave Thailand every 90 days

Visa or Extension thereof, issued by Immigration (within Thailand) = Must not leave Thailand, only report every 90 days within Thailand.

Can not mix, like Visa issued by Thai-Embassy (outside of Thailand) and do 90 day reporting within Thailand, NO CAN DO !

This is how I understand it. Am I on track?

Cheers.

Steevo

Best of luck

You have a totally different Visa to what Steevo has so your circumstances will be different.

He does not have to leave the country every 90 days unless he wants to.

Also it has been available for years and nothing new.

I shipped your post down to the important part

So you were actually asking about getting an extesnion of styay based upon marriage to a Thai. The spousal visa thing got me a little confused.

You can get the extension and then get a multiple re-entry permit. You will not have to leave the country unless you want to.

You will need a single entry non-o visa to get the extension. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 60 days or proof of 40k income.

When you apply for the extension you will first get a 30 day under consideration stamp before you get the one year extesnon stamp.

Sena Dave.

A Rough Guide.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.

Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)

Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

One or two witnesses may be required.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

Steevo

Best of luck

He doesn't have a multiple entry Non Imm O visa. He has a multiple entry Non Imm O-A Long Stay (Retirement) visa which allows him to stay for twelve months on each and every entry he makes prior to the Enter Before Date on that visa (in his case, 24 April 2015). He can leave and re-enter whenever and as many times as he wishes. He can even re-enter one day prior to the expiration of the visa and still obtain a one year entry (however he will need a re-entry permit if he wants to leave and re-enter after that date).

The only thing he needs to do every 90 days is report his address - he's not obligated to leave at all.

I shipped your post down to the important part

So you were actually asking about getting an extesnion of styay based upon marriage to a Thai. The spousal visa thing got me a little confused.

You can get the extension and then get a multiple re-entry permit. You will not have to leave the country unless you want to.

You will need a single entry non-o visa to get the extension. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 60 days or proof of 40k income.

When you apply for the extension you will first get a 30 day under consideration stamp before you get the one year extesnon stamp.

Thanks again, What you mention with the 90 day and then 1 year extension was what I originally was going to do. However I saw a Visa "Consultant" in Bangkok he said the I could do that but it would not be Multi entry, he Mentioned re-entry permit but not a multi re-entry one , so i thought I'd have to apply for a permit every-time I left Thailand and sometimes with my work I would not have time to do this not. So I decided get married to the woman Ive been with for 9 years and get a spousal/marriage Visa in Penang not knowing that this Visa requires me to exit Thailand every 90 days. They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing , I think this proves the point

I'm going to ask this probably stupid question as I should have asked before about a couple of things by the looks of it. If Ive got the Multi entry Visa where i exit Thailand every 90 days can I still go in and out as many times in that years as I like, is it limitless ?

I'm going to ask this probably stupid question as I should have asked before about a couple of things by the looks of it. If Ive got the Multi entry Visa where i exit Thailand every 90 days can I still go in and out as many times in that years as I like, is it limitless ?

Multiple entry means unlimited entries for a year.

Yes. As many times as you want.

Do a border run just before it expires and get another 90 days.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thank gents, It may not be so bad then, i have plenty of mates in Penang where I can stay and an excuse to catch up with them I suppose

After the year is up is it a case of extending again or completely new Visa and same process ?

Steevo

Best of luck

He doesn't have a multiple entry Non Imm O visa. He has a multiple entry Non Imm O-A Long Stay (Retirement) visa which allows him to stay for twelve months on each and every entry he makes prior to the Enter Before Date on that visa (in his case, 24 April 2015). He can leave and re-enter whenever and as many times as he wishes. He can even re-enter one day prior to the expiration of the visa and still obtain a one year entry (however he will need a re-entry permit if he wants to leave and re-enter after that date).

The only thing he needs to do every 90 days is report his address - he's not obligated to leave at all.

Thank you for that very clear explanation. Now I understand why I was getting so confused about my own visa. I have the correct visa for my purposes at the moment as I am not permanently in Thailand although in the future I intend to spend more and more time here. I will review my visa again at that time.

• Like 1

I'm a Canadian that stayed in Chiang Mai last year on an O-A Multiple Entry Visa. Every 90 days.....I would go to immigration close to the airport and simply fill out a short form letting them know where I was staying. And then they would issue me a 'Receipt of Notification" signed and stamped by an immigration officer. They just want to keep tabs on where us Farangs are staying. Just to be safe, I would go two days before the deadline.

If it is a O-A Multiple Entry Visa..... you should be able to travel outside of Thailand to wherever you wish and return with no problem. Otherwise it would not be a Multiple Entry Visa would it ? ?

I'll be returning to Thailand later this year or early next year. I really miss it very much. Maybe never leave when I get back there..

Edited by Catoni

Now I am absolutely confused about non-imm O-A M visa too, because of the following consideration.

If I enter Thailand as a retired person (over 50 years old) with O-A M visa and do "visa runs" every 89th day of my stay, then I do not interact with Immigration during my first year. Is it correct? I presume the answer is YES.

Does it mean that I do not need to make a deposit of 800,000 B to a Thai bank during my first year?

I need to show my bank statement only in case I apply for the extension of stay, which I ought to do on my second year, isn't it?