Absolutely Confused re: Non-Immigrant O-A Multiple Entry 90 Day Rule

Now I am absolutely confused about non-imm O-A M visa too, because of the following consideration.

I think it's because you have not read with attention.

If I enter Thailand as a retired person (over 50 years old) with O-A M visa and do "visa runs" every 89th day of my stay, then I do not interact with Immigration during my first year. Is it correct? I presume the answer is YES.

No. As mentioned about 125 times already, O-A visa does not require 90-day visa runs.

Does it mean that I do not need to make a deposit of 800,000 B to a Thai bank during my first year?

You do not need to make any deposit because you have a visa already.

I need to show my bank statement only in case I apply for the extension of stay, which I ought to do on my second year, isn't it?

In the second year you can stay again with the same visa. Just enter country shorty before the "entry before" date.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I understand the rules correctly, the retired person has to deposit minimum 800 000 THB and to bring the bank statement or letter from the bank every time he applies for extension of stay, e.g. every 90 days.

Now Paz says that I do not need to make the deposit, because I have visa already.

I get the O-A M visa from Thai embassy but brought them a letter from my European bank that I have funds.

So I repeat my core question:

Could it happen, that I stay in Thailand as a "retired person" without having the funds in a Thai bank?

If I understand the rules correctly, the retired person has to deposit minimum 800 000 THB and to bring the bank statement or letter from the bank every time he applies for extension of stay, e.g. every 90 days.

Now Paz says that I do not need to make the deposit, because I have visa already.

I get the O-A M visa from Thai embassy but brought them a letter from my European bank that I have funds.

Could it happen, that I stay in Thailand as a "retired person" without having the funds in a Thai bank?

not forever

Yes. By having a Non-Imm O-A visa.

Yes. By having a Non-Imm O-A visa.

without an income of 65,000?

Then I repeat,

I do not interact with immigration during my first year of stay on non-imm O-AM visa because of my "visa runs". Then whom should I report to about my 800 000 THB deposit?

from the vancouver consulate

3. Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

**********************************IMPORTANT*************************************

Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void.

**********************************************************************************

The alien shall report to the competent authority after 90 days in the Kingdom, and report every 90 days thereafter with the immigration officer in the alien's residence area, or report to the police station in the alien's residence area if there is no immigration control there. (In order to report to the competent authority by mail, the alien shall do as follows: Forward the Report Form (To Mo 47) together with a copy of the passport pages showing the alien's photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp and include a self addressed envelop with sufficient postage affixed. This must be forwarded 7 days before the due date. This package should be mailed to the Immigration Bureau, 507 Soi SuanPlu, Sathon Tai Road, Sathon District, Bangkok 10120.

At the end of the one-year stay, a visitor who wishes to extend his/her stay must submit a request to extend the period at the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer, or a deposit account in the Kingdom, or an income certificate, of the amount of no less than 800,000 Baht, or an income certificate plus a deposit account indicating a total amount of no less than 800,000 Baht a year. In the case of conducting any following reports, the Reply Form for the previous report shall be enclosed as well.) Copies of any previous such Reports should also be included.

Then I repeat,

I do not interact with immigration during my first year of stay on non-imm O-AM visa because of my "visa runs". Then whom should I report to about my 800 000 THB deposit?

You have got an OA visa already, by showing a bank account in your home country.

This will allow you to stay for two years approximately since your visa is valid for a year, and you are stamped in for a year's permission to stay each time you enter. You do not need to do visa runs for the 126th time- you are allowed to stay for a year without leaving the country!

Therefore if you leave and re-enter Thailand the day before your visa validity expires (the "enter before" date printed on the visa itself), they will stamp you in for a year. All this time you do not need to demonstrate any money in a Thai bank account.

BUT, 30 days from the end of that second year's stay, you can apply for a one year extension of your permission to stay within Thailand by going to an Immigration office (you will then not be applying for a visa, so you will not need to leave and go to an Embassy or consulate in another country).

This is the point where you have to show that you have 800,000B in a Thai bank account, and that it has been in this account for at least 60 days before you make this application. It is 60 days because this is your first application for an extension of permission to stay. Every time you you do it after this (and you can apply for this extension every year, indefinitely) the money must be in the bank 90 days before the application.

Every time you are in Thailand more than 90 consecutive days you must report your address at Immigration. This is nothing to do with your visa, it is just telling them where you are.

Edited by partington

Then I repeat,

You are not required to do 'visa runs' on an O-A multiple entry visa because it allows a twelve month stay on any entry and you can come & go as you please. But yes, you do still interact with immigration - to submit 90 day address reports (if any of your stays exceed ninety days).

You will have shown evidence of the equivalent of 800.000 baht in an account in your own country, along with your police clearance, medical certificate etc when you initially applied for the O-A visa there. You do not need the money seasoned in a Thai bank until you apply for an extension of stay in Thailand.

Edited by Songhua

Then I repeat,

3. Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

**********************************IMPORTANT*************************************

Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void.

**********************************************************************************

The above refers to single entry OA visas only. The OP has said that he has a multiple entry OA visa, and so he can leave and re-enter any time he wants without getting a re-entry permit up to the "enter before date" on his visa, that is for a period of about a year.

Only if he leaves and tries to re-enter after this "enter before date" will he need a re-entry permit.

Edited by partington

Then I repeat,

The above refers to single entry OA visas only. The OP has said that he has a multiple entry OA visa, and so he can leave and re-enter any time he wants without getting a re-entry permit up to the "enter before date" on his visa, that is for a period of about a year.

Only if he leaves and tries to re-enter after this "enter before date" will he need a re-entry permit.

That must be unique to Vancouver consulate, I doubt single entry O-A visa actually exists at all.

Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay)

4. Visa fee

5,000 Baht for multiple entries

Then I repeat,

i know but I was posting it to show AT SOME POINT he will be required to transfer the money to a thai bank

Then I repeat,

That must be unique to Vancouver consulate, I doubt single entry O-A visa actually exists at all.

Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay)

4. Visa fee

The thai embassy in America says:

Validity of a visa:-

multiple entries : Validity of a visa is 1 year.

Period of stay:-

Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of 1 year.

Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

· Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void.

Then I repeat,

3. Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa O-A (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

Non-Immigrant Visa O-A (Long Stay)

4. Visa fee

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of 1 year.

Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa O-A (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

· Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void.

Not disputing what it says AYJAYDEE, but what would be the sense of paying for and obtaining a multiple entry visa allowing twelve months stay on any entry if the holder then still had to apply for a re-entry permit?

Naturally, if a holder enters just prior to the 'enter before' date they would subsequently require a re-entry permit to re-enter because the visa itself would've expired. But who'd wait (almost) a year after obtaining the visa to make their first entry?

When I applied for mine in Sydney I was told that all O-A (Long Stay) visas are the same price and are only issued as multiple entry.

Then I repeat,

3. Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa O-A (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

Non-Immigrant Visa O-A (Long Stay)

4. Visa fee

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa O-A (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

Not disputing what it says AYJAYDEE, but what would be the sense of paying for and obtaining a multiple entry visa allowing twelve months stay on any entry if the holder then still had to apply for a re-entry permit?

Naturally, if a holder enters just prior to the 'enter before' date they would subsequently require a re-entry permit to re-enter because the visa itself would've expired. But who'd wait (almost) a year after obtaining the visa to make their first entry?

When I applied for mine in Sydney I was told that all O-A (Long Stay) visas are the same price and are only issued as multiple entry.

I notice the discrepancy too and it is probably going to confuse a hell of a lot of north americans. but i only posted it to show that a person does have to put money in the thai bank at some point if they dont use the income option alone.

• Like 1

Please let me ask if I understand this correctly.....

For an O-A Multiple Entry Thai Visa... from Royal Thai Embassy, Ottawa, Canada.....

(among other things...)

• A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to no less than $ 25,000 or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of no less than $ 2,100 or a deposit account plus a monthly income of no less than $25,000 a year and must be accompanied with a letter of guarantee from the bank stating the monthly income from a source such as a pension or other sources and the letter from the bank must be certified by a Notary Public.

4. Recommendations for the Applicant while Staying in the Kingdom

• The Report Form (To Mo 47) together with a copy of the passport pages showing the alien's photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp as well as self-addressed envelope with postage affixed, shall be forwarded, by 7 days before the due date, by acknowledgement of receipt mail to the Immigration Bureau, Sathon Tai Road, Sathon District, Bangkok 10120.

In the case of conducting any following reports, the Reply Form for the previous report shall be enclosed as well.)
  • At the end of the one-year stay, the alien who wishes to extend his/her stay shall submit a request for the extended period at the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer, or a deposit account in the Kingdom, or an income certificate, of the amount of no less than $800,000 Baht, or an income certificate plus deposit account in the total amount of no less than $800,000 Baht a year(equivalent CAD $25,000)

Therefore.. .at the end of your first year with the O-A Multiple Entry Visa:

This would seem to say that you need at the end of the first year....... either.... evidence of money transfer..... OR a deposit account in the Kingdom.... OR an income certificate..Or the amount of no less than 800,000 Baht....or an income certificate plus deposit account in the total amount of no less than 800,000 Baht per year. (Equivalent to $25,000 Canadian.)

That should mean that you DO NOT need 800,000 Baht in a Thai account. Because you have a few options.... and one of them is to show proof of at least 800,000 Baht income per year....... so an income certificate or proof of income should suffice.....

Is this not correct ? ? You do NOT need the 800,000 Baht cash in a Thai bank..... you have a couple other options to renew your O-A as long as you have a yearly income equal to 800,000 Baht or more ? ?

Or does something change if you wish to stay longer than two years ? ?

If I am mistaken..... my apologies... and my thanks...

Info on embassy websites posted is for a single entry visa from back when they still did them.

A multiple entry OA visa will give a one year entry every time you enter for a year meaning you can get a almost two years of stay from it you do an entry just before its enter before date (one year from date of issue).

After the enter before date you must get a re-entry permit if you travel to keep your permit to stay from the last entry valid.

This means no financial proof will be needed until the permit to stay from the last entry is about to end and you wouild need to apply for an extension of stay or go home to get a new visa.

Income certificate is enough, but in that case the income should be 65,000 a month. That is even a little bit less than 800,000.

A money transfer does not do, unless it is 800,000 baht into your Thai bankaccount 3 months prior to extension.

Thank you for the replies.

So what that means is.. an O-A multiple entry visa...... you can renew after one year (reporting every 90 days)..... then at two years.... you do not need 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank as long as you can show 65,000 Baht or more income a month, or 800,000 Baht income or more per year... or a combination of both equaling 800,000 Baht.

Correct ? ? The reason I ask is..... I have income of more than 65,000 Baht per month.... more than 800,000 Baht per year. And I can prove it legally.

But I do not have 800,000 to put in a Thai bank account... so I'm worried I would not be able to stay longer than two years...

Thank you everyone...

The 65,000 baht income is enough for a 1 year extension of stay and must be certified by your embassy. The embassy decides what they accept as proof of your income. (The rules don't talk about 800,000 income per year, but the embassy normally looks at your yearly income).

If you had a OA visa you would of gotten a one year entry not 90 days. Where did you get your visa?

You apparently have a multiple entry non-o visa that only gives a 90 day entry and you must leave the country every 90 days to get another 90 day entry. You do not have to stay the full 90 days you can leave anytime you wish and get another 90 days when you return no matter how long you stay of the country up to the date your visa expires.

What immigration was telling you was for you to return apply for a one year extension of stay.

What OA visa only gives 90 days and must leave?

Blokes like Stevo and myself really rely on thaivisa for help/advice. I dont want to stray from the OP , think he has his answers. Reading all the replies, I get the impression that the O-A is a better beast than the non imm O.

Soon I return to AU (tax return) Was obtaining a non imm O , then when back thailand (lived here 2 yrs) obtain the extension to stay based on retirement. Straight forward gig. I had planned on the non imm O-A , but does have lot of hassels. So here is my question. Is the extra hassels worth it to obtain O-A. Side note I intend to live here permanently and similar to stevo exit the country often to places like hcm etc. Thanks in advance for any advice

You have to report every 90 days of continuous stay.

There is a window of 15 days before and 7 days after.

So yes that would be early September.

You are not renewing anything.

You are reporting your address in Thailand.

Leave and enter just before 4th June and you will get another 12 months stay.

You can do your 90 day report anywhere,if you happen to be cruising around Th.

Lite Beer

Thanks for the clarification. BUT, do I need to get a re-entry permit?

Obviously, my visit today was beyond the 15 days before... hence the confusion Ill wait a week or so and then return.

Do you happen to know if I can visit the Division 1 Office in the Chamchuri Square Bldg... It is much closer to home in Sukhamvit?

Yes you do.They should have mentioned that when you got your original visa.When you get your yearly extension get the re entry as well.

If you had a OA visa you would of gotten a one year entry not 90 days. Where did you get your visa?

You apparently have a multiple entry non-o visa that only gives a 90 day entry and you must leave the country every 90 days to get another 90 day entry. You do not have to stay the full 90 days you can leave anytime you wish and get another 90 days when you return no matter how long you stay of the country up to the date your visa expires.

What immigration was telling you was for you to return apply for a one year extension of stay.

What OA visa only gives 90 days and must leave?

That was a reply before the confusion of what exactly he had was sorted out.. Read the OP and you will understand.

That was corrected a few posts later.

I'm going to ask this probably stupid question as I should have asked before about a couple of things by the looks of it. If Ive got the Multi entry Visa where i exit Thailand every 90 days can I still go in and out as many times in that years as I like, is it limitless ?

Sena Dave... as has been answered already - yes it means Multi Entry Visa (such as Non Imm. Multi 'O') - you can exit Thailand and re-enter as often as you wish within the year of validity of the visa. I like to think of it as one must exit At Least every 90 days.

Using the Multi Entry is perfect for touring adjacent countries - but it can get costly as for instance Laos has a fee for a visa on arrival that you must purchase (I don't recall the length - only 30 days perhaps but I paid 1500 baht for it - cheaper with American dollars). You can go to Vientiane and book a down river tour for instance. Malaysia does not charge a fee but it is a long way and much easier by air of course. I don't know what the other nearby countries charge.

You use the word 'limitless' - yes exits and re-entries are virtually limitless but it does not increase your total time of permission to stay - except (as previously posted) when done a day or so before the Expiration Date (Enter Before Date). Example: with a Multi 'O' it would add 90 days for a total of about 15 months permission to stay (on a one year visa).

I have traveled by land (rent car) from Ao Nang, Krabi to the Malaysian border... did my out and in at the border checkpoints in the Thale Ban National Park... Quite an adventure - 600 kilometers round trip. I have posted about it.

Doing a border run for an out and in at Nong Khai was a snap - but a bit confusing on the Laotian side - the window you go to varies from time to time and they hold your passport for 15 to 20 minutes behind a black glass window - and it magically appears handed out another window... then you walk around the main building where signage is a bit confusing ... Looking a bit lost I was directed to the right booth for checkout and to the return bus. Part of the confusion comes from returning Laotians having to queue up in front of booths and for a moment I thought I needed to be in one of those lines... All in all still a snap.

Blokes like Stevo and myself really rely on thaivisa for help/advice. I dont want to stray from the OP , think he has his answers. Reading all the replies, I get the impression that the O-A is a better beast than the non imm O.

Soon I return to AU (tax return) Was obtaining a non imm O , then when back thailand (lived here 2 yrs) obtain the extension to stay based on retirement. Straight forward gig. I had planned on the non imm O-A , but does have lot of hassels. So here is my question. Is the extra hassels worth it to obtain O-A. Side note I intend to live here permanently and similar to stevo exit the country often to places like hcm etc. Thanks in advance for any advice

O-A Multiple Entry Visa .....you do not have to leave every 90 days. You only have to report to the nearest immigration office and fill out an address form to let them know where you are staying. They will issue you a "Receipt of Notification" signed and stamped by a Thai Immigration Officer.

Then you are good for another 90 days.... (Go in a day or two ahead of time though....it's a good idea) You do not have to leave the country as with some other types of visas.

Edited by Catoni

Thank you. I got my O-A visa from the Royal Thai Embassy in Canada last year and spent four months in Thailand, primarily in Chiang Mai, last year from the middle of February to the middle of June...

But had to return to Canada to settle some family issues. That O-A is now expired.

Now, I wish to return to Thailand later this year or early next year. I'm sure it will be easy for me to once again get the O-A visa as I did last year. Police check, health form, and monthly income letter from the bank etc...

My only concern is .... after spending two years there,,,,, will I need to have 800,000 Baht deposited in a Thai account in order to spend more than two years there ?

Or is the continued more than 65,000 Baht per month income...... (more than 800,000 Baht per year income) enough ?

($38,000.00 Canadian per year...net.... after taxes. 1,112,000 Thai Baht ..clear...per year.)

It's pension income that I get for the rest of my life....

But the thing is... I will have tremendous difficulty depositing 800,000 Baht into a Thai account.

That worries me. I might be limited to only two years in Thailand if 800,000 Baht is needed in a Thai account by the end of the second year in country......

So hoping with the O-A Mutliple Entry "Retirement" Visa that I can get now..... they will be happy with my monthly and yearly income without putting 800,000 Baht in a Thai account.

That is my concern.

Thank you for help .... best wishes...

All that is needed is 65k baht income. There is no need to have 800k baht in the bank.

With the income you have you could do the extension of stay at immigration here instead of doing the OA visa at the embassy in Ottawa or the consulate in Vancouver.