Cleared 4 year overstay this month. Returned without problems.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fwiw I did not work in Thailand and I am well off. I did not ever use any sort of social services here and I never harmed anyone. I know my choice to overstay was one most people would not consider. I jumped through the endless hoops for years, practically on house arrest having to always check in with immigration and leave on arbitrary dates, but decided it was worth risking a day in IDC to avoid the circus show. Now that they are being more strict I'm back to juggling through legislation to remain legal and in Thailand. I do not regret my choice, and I would not if I had been arrested, thrown in IDC, and deported and blacklisted, just because it was such a relief to not have to suffer through the process. Also I was able to travel freely, regularly traveled in Thailand, booked hotels, opened a bank account, and everything else on overstay. I contributed to the economy for years at no expense to anyone besides the visa run companies. Anyone who thinks I was doing something morally wrong or harmful simply because I didn't have an up to date stamp in a book is being too narrow minded without knowing anything about me.

so you never walked on a public street,

you never putted your garbage in the bin, ( you putted it beside the road,

you never used a public toilett, just pissed beside the tree to fertilice,

you never ever used any public transport which is much sponsored by all

regulary tax payers !

Great !!

You just say, everyone who keeps the law is stupid !

Great !

This are the foreigners which any country needs !

Please calm down. The man over-stayed his visa, and then did the right thing by paying his fine and becoming legal. End of story.

4 years !! 1.460 days, so he broke the law just 1460 times ! forget it, its over ! a funny mind !

So, if you will not pay your duties in your home country for 4 years,

your gvt will say , ok, it happens,

story over !

If you would have family and kids in Thailand,

you would change your mind !!

I can read - I get it smile.png

I also know history well enough to know that America was built by illegal immigration. You know that, too...right? Walt Disney's parents were illegal immigrants, and very (very) poor. Did his company not pay enough taxes for you since then?

Edited by John1thru10

But surely that means you are stuck in Thailand and you couldn't leave the country in those 4 years? It is people like you that are making the Thai authorities stricter, which sucks for the rest of us who are legit.

If you are legit then what difference does it make to you? You are going to continue doing it the way you always have legitimately.....so what's with the beef?

• Like 1

I just don't get it with some of you people, you all want to be here but for some reason a lot of you figure your above and beyond any law concerning Visas in Thailand, dont use the excuse about it being a inconvenience a lot of foreigners live, work and contribute to Thailand and do it the legal way. If you can't follow the law or the rules you dont belong here period. I give you no sympathy.

I give your spelling and grammar no sympathy.

how many languages you know to write, read and speak ?

I hate to hijack this post/thread but I am a little impressed with myself on this as I read, write and speak fluently 4 different languages and have almost my 5th language perfected. I speak fluent English, American, Canadian and Kiwi and have just about perfected Australian language.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Interesting post. For many the risk of being picked up for some random reason and being arrested and deported would have made it not worth it. Good that the OP got out and back before the new rules are effective.

5000 THB per year

No visa run

No 90 days reports

No waiting for hours at immigration

No immigration interview

No MOE interview

No school fees

I am an idiot

I think the peace of mind is worth the extra few baht.

One simple request to see his passport could have landed this guy in the lock-up.

Only one idiot.

Yes I though like you too but I can name countless stories where police (outside immigration) was shown an over stayer passport and did not blink.

Call it luck, incompetence, negligence or anything you like most policemen struggle reading a foreign passport.

I'm in a similar situation than the OP was, just is it 11 months in my case.

Individual life and it's circumstances are a lot bigger than ballistics in a discussion forum so please to the grumpy and disgruntled here...

@sickntired,

I have sent you a PM, if you continue reading here then please reply.

I think many are upset, (including myself) that this guys just does not care about the law and chooses to overstay. I'm sure many here that are upset have a visa same as me. We follow the rules to stay legal in Thailand. Guys like him who dont care are one of the reasons for immigration to preform these crack downs. It's never been hard to stay in Thailand legally. For allot of people that are being affected (not me as I have a B visa and work permit) one of their options to do visa runs has been stopped because of people like him. People get upset because of exactly what he did is a result of the new crack down which is effecting so many long time stayers.

Since you are so happy for the OP, I guess you don't care about illegal immigrants in your home country either.

What BS, how you can blame an overstayer that Visaruns are not allowed anymore? he never made any visarun, thats the basic of overstay biggrin.png everybody who drive without helmet, use phone while driving, dring alcohol on a budda day, pay a woman for ...

I am sure you never made in Thailand this things, because you are all legal ....

The problem is that in Thailand nobody care about law, even the Thais dont care, the courts, the police nobody care, and then you blame people for doing something like overstay? really you must be a happy person with no problems at all ....

Are you not paying attention to what is going on around Thailand? The have adjusted the fines for overstaying to be much more than only 20,000b so this is directly related to people that overstay. As for not following laws. Have you not noticed the Junta is cracking down on everything? Working on getting the police to do their job, working on stopping the corruption etc. Pay attention to what is going on around you and you will see.

Are you not paying attention to what is going on around Thailand? The have adjusted the fines for overstaying to be much more than only 20,000b so this is directly related to people that overstay. As for not following laws. Have you not noticed the Junta is cracking down on everything? Working on getting the police to do their job, working on stopping the corruption etc. Pay attention to what is going on around you and you will see.

Actually they have not adjusted the fines at all, but will introduce a gradual banning period.

They also made possible 30 days extensions for tourist visa.

Regarding the great achievements of the current regime, off-topic but we can reconvene in a year and check again what has changed.

5000 THB per year

No visa run

No 90 days reports

No immigration interview

No MOE interview

No school fees

I am an idiot

1. You are assuming we arent being wound up

2. How many of us would have slept soundly over that 4 year period knowing we could end up in IDC ?

Thanks, but no thanks to that 'option'.

After 37 years in Thailand I have never once in that period ever been asked for my passport by immigration, when I travel I provide the hotel with a my passport # My Tim card, # (haven't left the country since 1996) date of entry, a Thai drivers lic and or a copy of my yellow book has always been enough never has a Thai policeman outside of the annual immigration process seen my passport. I have never, never, never done a 90 day report in 37 years

The only crime I commit, leave sleeping dogs lie

How did not you not do any 90 day reports in the last 37 years? There is a fine if you don't report. Are you on overstay?

As for police asking to see a passport in the last 20 years i have only been asked twice by police to see my passport. Both time i was near a boarder. the one time i was on my way to laos so had it with me. The other time i was on my way to my factory so didn't have it with me so just gave them my driver license and car registration and they said ok. S

How did not you not do any 90 day reports in the last 37 years? There is a fine if you don't report. Are

Some Immigration offices do not care if one fails to report. Also some people use visa agents that are paid to smooth things up anyway.

Are you not paying attention to what is going on around Thailand? The have adjusted the fines for overstaying to be much more than only 20,000b

No....they have not adjusted the fines to be more than 20k baht. Have they? This is an information forum. Your opinion is one thing, but please don't make false statements. The maximum fine (as far as I have read) is still the same.

Edited by John1thru10

Are you not paying attention to what is going on around Thailand? The have adjusted the fines for overstaying to be much more than only 20,000b

No....they have not adjusted the fines to be more than 20k baht. Have they? This is an information forum. Your opinion is one thing, but please don't make false statements. The maximum fine (as far as I have read) is still the same.

I imagine he meant penalties

5000 THB per year

No visa run

No 90 days reports

No immigration interview

No MOE interview

No school fees

I am an idiot

I think the peace of mind is worth the extra few baht.

One simple request to see his passport could have landed this guy in the lock-up.

Only one idiot.

Yes I though like you too but I can name countless stories where police (outside immigration) was shown an over stayer passport and did not blink.

Call it luck, incompetence, negligence or anything you like most policemen struggle reading a foreign passport.

Strangely enough, I had my visa and reporting status asked of when I was checking out of hospital last year.

I don't know why they were interested, unless it could impact the insurance.

Another thing to worry of, and it was posted on this board recently, would be someone shopping you, particularly if a reward was to be offered.

Edited by jacko45k

Strangely enough, I had my visa and reporting status asked of when I was checking out of hospital last year.

I don't know why they were interested, unless it could impact the insurance.

Another thing to worry of, and it was posted on this board recently, would be someone shopping you, particularly if a reward was to be offered.

Jacko they ask you in the hospital because you are eligible for a medical visa or visa extension on medical grounds. Another thread here about a guy didn't know this and was refused a Tourist Visa because of his overstay. With a letter from the hospital medical visa no problem. The hospital also has staff that liaise with Immigration to help you with these matters.

• Like 1

John this is the second time you are scrutinizing my posts. I know exactly what TV is for I have been a member for a long time. Dont know when you became a moderator.

Before you said I was judging posters when I was not. Review my posts I feel bad for the guys under 50 and for the teachers that are getting caught up in things. As for this post besides the 20K monetary fine there is also a ban from Thailand depending on how long you overstay and if you turn yourself in or not. So as I said the fines can be much more than just 20K. Dont you think being band from Thailand for X amount of years being more then a measly 20K? I do and apparently many others that have been overstaying do to as they are getting their affairs in order.

Edited by ericthai

Not a comment directed towards the OP, but I always wonder how people support themselves while staying here illegally for 4, 7 or 11 years. I mean, can't work (legally), likely dont have a bank account here. I suppose they can ATM their retirement checks off their home bank, or their family sends them Western Union to keep them away. If a person comes flush with cash why do they need to overstay for so long? And if not flush, how do they live? Just wondering.

5000 THB per year

No visa run

No 90 days reports

No immigration interview

No MOE interview

No school fees

I am an idiot

Yep. I did a 4 year overstay too. Best decision ever. Saved me a lot of baht and hassle. Unfortunately, you can't do this anymore. So we really lucked out didn't we?

wink.png

• Like 1

Not a comment directed towards the OP, but I always wonder how people support themselves while staying here illegally for 4, 7 or 11 years. I mean, can't work (legally), likely dont have a bank account here. I suppose they can ATM their retirement checks off their home bank, or their family sends them Western Union to keep them away. If a person comes flush with cash why do they need to overstay for so long? And if not flush, how do they live? Just wondering.

Combination of dodgy dealings & money from credit cards. thumbsup.gif

5000 THB per year

No visa run

No 90 days reports

No immigration interview

No MOE interview

No school fees

I am an idiot

Yep. I did a 4 year overstay too. Best decision ever. Saved me a lot of baht and hassle. Unfortunately, you can't do this anymore. So we really lucked out didn't we?

wink.png

spoiled things for a lot of guys

• Like 1

spoiled things for a lot of guys

Right yeah the effects of expats overstaying have been slowly but surely mounting up over the decades, reaching a critical tipping point mid 2014 just coincidentally at the same time as a military dictatorship seizes power.

facepalm.gif

Edited by jspill

I personally like to do things by the book, legally.

However; I do think it's fantastic of the interim administration to clarify the law and allow

those who overstayed, a few months to rectify their situation.

I also don't care about the reasons the OP overstayed. I suspect I would not respect his reasoning but, hey, who cares?

There seems to be two camps on this forum, those lambasting his overstay, and those condoning the law breaking.

I don't belong in either camp. But I do believe Thai officials should enforce the already existing immigration laws as a way to address corruption.

I suspect many of you supporting the law breaking of the past will miss all the other loopholes, like buying off the cop when caught drunk driving.

Edited by duanebigsby

Declaring you overstayed on a public forum like TV is the latest craze for the trolls. And you all keep feeding them with your responses. There's some sad lonely people out there pissing themselves at you lot.

Edited by bendywire