Why do Thais like to eat on the floor?

Costas2008

You cannot eat or wear furniture, wardrobes eg, who has enough clothes to need one, beds no room anyway,extended family eating together, where would a dozen or more chairs come from, when we visit my gf family the only place for me to sit is on a single bed that we bought her mum after she had a nasty fall to help her recuperate. Different continent different culture.
  • Haha 1

Comfort for them to sit x legged....in ancient times after western chairs were adopted they had to be extra wide so they could sit cross legged and be comfortable....in Thai fashion.....

And today, things like these are been introduced

...and it took so long to find out!

Sometimes, it doesn't mean that one culture's habits are wrong or inferior - it is just that one is different to the other.

Edit

Typo

Edited by ravip
  • Haha 1

The reason behind it is certainly cultural, but my experience is that it is also somewhat dependent on if they are from the country or the city. Most of my wife's city family eat at the table, while most of the country family eat outdoors while sitting on top of a raised platform that resembles a large, though shorter than normal table. wai2.gif

My hairdresser on Soi 7 in CM has become a friend over the years. I am always invited to New Year and Chinese New Year meals. Always on the floor and sometimes on the pavement in front of the Salon. I'm always being invited upstairs for breakfast or a snack. We eat at the table. I was invited last year to Big Sister's new house. Practically a mansion, but we ate on the lawn in front of the house. When Big Sister's son (I have known her for 13 years and I still call her Big Sister as my friend does)graduated from university, I was invited to the celebration. At this time they lived in the suburbs of CM. There were many people and I was the only farang. There were tables set up and no one ate on the ground. How to work it out. Nowadays me old knees won't just get down, so they give me a little stool. I just take it how it comes, it's thailand. It's only my legs that get rather shitty with it all.

It probably give more homely feeling.

Yes, I like that.

We are a Bangkok family and most days all the immediate family eat together, on the floor.

Thai can squat, do so from when they first walk. I cannot and have arthritis, probably due to not squatting in my boyhood, Thai can easily sit cross legged with feet pointing away.

Once my wife's younger sister admonished me because my feet were sideways, towards her. I explained that I cannot bend my left knee and she got a roasting for being rude.

I usually sit at the kitchen table when there or on the wooden bench, everyone knows why.

At our home we have beautiful traditional Chinese style furniture, and always sit at the round table, maximum of six, six chairs that is, but on special occasions here, it is on the floor for the younger family and table for us seniors.

I have the same problem at  the Wat, but can tuck both legs back on one side.

Once I was invited to a television event celebrating the King, boy was it hard staying still for hours of chanting on the floor, but I like my head attached to my neck!

Edited by buhi
  • Haha 1

last year, I was 2 strikes out of 3, for putting the food on the ground, food meant for offering to the Monk - because I thought I was doing the right thing in emptying my hands to wai him.

boy, did I cop it from her - losing face, and very bad luck.

Monk 3 weeks later finally mentioned he didn't mind, because I was still learning...

... but the wifey, still - hmmmpf bah.gif  about it

• Like 1

In a way there is a sense of equality, sitting on the floor.

There is a strong family pecking order in Thailand, the patriarch is served first ,all sitting  together lessens this.

And once everyone gets to tuck in there is a free for all, help yourself, but under no circumstances hog all the best dishes; there is always plenty and it will be noticed what your preferences are and insisted that you have some more.

And this aspect of lowering yourself when someone of higher status is present is very important to Thai.

Not quite off topic, on another occasion I was close, too close in distance to the Princess Royal and a very stern officer commanded, farang get down!

• Haha 1

Guys...  I'm willing to bet 80% of the world's population eats sitting on the floor.   No kidding.

And the majority of those eat with their hands.  Damn.  Read a book.

'nuff said

~

Edited by 'nuff said

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There are half a dozen restaurants in this medium sized town that have mats and low tables.  A couple are outside and the mats are on the ground.  They are quite popular.

Ever heard of JAPAN? 

You guys really don't get around much.  Guess what?  In Malaysia, they eat with their HANDS while sitting on the floor.

'nuff said

~

Some old ppl still eat with hands here too - always the left hand because they wipe their ass with their right hand (the explanation I was given). In England ppl like to eat chips out of old newspaper because that's how it was when they were kids.

I have friends in Morocco. When I go to their home, we eat at a low table and are seated on cushions. They eat quite often with their hands. They usually give me western implements because they know it's not in our customs and the husband is with westerners all the time. That's the way it is......

To the OP

I have not read all the responses nor am I going to. BUT:-

You have been polluting this site, for what seems an eon, with your crap and you still cannot get a grip on the culture you have involved yourself in!

Get a life!

Mr Bdenner,

Thank you very much for your kind remarks.

In the future, in order to avoid any nauseating comments from me, I beg of you, go to your profile, click on Manage Ignore prefs and then add Costas 2008, in users I'm ignoring.

Please do not forget to save changes.

In the meantime, I will be doing the same for your username.

Have a happy life

biggrin.png

My BF didn't own a mattress until he was 23.

Yes, but ask him now to sleep on the floor, and I bet you he will not be able to close an eyelid all night.

my wife, mother in law and sisters in law can all sleep soundly on the floor with no problem

No Thai other than peasants  from a village would sit on the ground to eat, just not done,  i have been going to Thailand for 30 years i haver never eaten on the floor or seen a Thai eat on the floor, most would just laugh and say, only rural people(peasants)  eat like this  .

Edited by howerde
  • Like 2

No Thai other than peasants  from a village would sit on the ground to eat, just not done,  i have been going to Thailand for 30 years i haver never eaten on the floor or seen a Thai eat on the floor, most would just laugh and say, only rural people(peasants)  eat like this  .

then you havent seen much. i have eaten on the floor with richer families from the big city than you and i will ever be

• Like 2

at the end of the day what does it matter,?

i cant use chop sticks very well, but my wife its like extra fingers,

ive said on here many times we are all different, eat different food in different ways,

some of the threads on here, just go with the flow, 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1