Tourist visa from Hull (UK) Consulate [info]

I'm about to send off a postal application for a double entry tourist visa from the RTC in Hull and the payment form no longer has the option for paying with a debit/credit card. In the past I always paid with my debit card.

I will send cash as I will be sending the application and passport by Royal Mail Special Delivery. Cheques it is stated they have the right to clear first which would mean an extra delay in receiving the visa.

There is also nothing mentioned about the return postage fee which used to be £10 (GBP). I tried calling but all operators were busy so I don't know whether just to include the extra £10, I guess they could return it with my passport.

I'm also not sure whether it would be beneficial to include my flight ticket with my return date to London in December, my outward flight is 2nd September, showing that I will return after my 2nd entry. I'm planning a trip to Cambodia in between.

I have 3 visa exemptions this year and a tourist visa from last year of which the last entry was made in January this year. I've been out of the country for 2 months so hopefully it will all be as smooth as silk. ;-)

--damole

Is this a change of procedure because last year I got my visa from Hull by post?

Slightly off subject but very conflicting stories coming from Thai consulates in the UK.

When returning to Thailand on the 27th August I intend applying for a retirement visa extension as I have turned 60 in May. Having my funds already sorted in a Thai bank account. My plan was to enter the country on a 30 visa exempt obtain a 90 day imigrant O in Thailand and get my extension on the back of this visa. After a lot of thought because my return flight is not on till 25th June next year I was concerned the airline would not allow me to travel without a visa so I decided to get my emigrant O here in England.

I telephoned the consulate in Hull as I had done in previous years and they informed me that they no longer issued emigrant Os at the consulates and my passport had to be posted to the embassy in London. I subsequently phoned the consulate in Liverpool they told me no problem booked me an appointment. I jumped on a train with my passport and 2 photo's and within 10 minutes of reaching the consulate had a nice new sticker.

I think this my be a case of the left arm not knowing what the right arm is doing.

Is this a change of procedure because last year I got my visa from Hull by post?

Slightly off subject but very conflicting stories coming from Thai consulates in the UK.

When returning to Thailand on the 27th August I intend applying for a retirement visa extension as I have turned 60 in May. Having my funds already sorted in a Thai bank account. My plan was to enter the country on a 30 visa exempt obtain a 90 day imigrant O in Thailand and get my extension on the back of this visa. After a lot of thought because my return flight is not on till 25th June next year I was concerned the airline would not allow me to travel without a visa so I decided to get my emigrant O here in England.

I telephoned the consulate in Hull as I had done in previous years and they informed me that they no longer issued emigrant Os at the consulates and my passport had to be posted to the embassy in London. I subsequently phoned the consulate in Liverpool they told me no problem booked me an appointment. I jumped on a train with my passport and 2 photo's and within 10 minutes of reaching the consulate had a nice new sticker.

I think this my be a case of the left arm not knowing what the right arm is doing.

I suspect that this is probably due to Hull in the past being very naughty boys (and girls) in issuing non-O visas in circumstances they shouldn't have. Hence the Embassy in London has clipped their wings in this regard. Liverpool, on the other hand, have a track record of being very good boys (and girls).

I suspect that this is probably due to Hull in the past being very naughty boys (and girls) in issuing non-O visas in circumstances they shouldn't have. Hence the Embassy in London has clipped their wings in this regard. Liverpool, on the other hand, have a track record of being very good boys (and girls).

Hull was a great and popular consulate while it lasted and yes they were friendly and accommodating but I don't think it is fair to say that they were in any way "naughty".

Not really related to the subject but just to finish the story. I went to the London embassy yesterday, spent about 10 minutes queuing to hand in my application form for a double entry tourist visa, the woman behind the counter didn't appear to check anything and just took my money. I went back this morning and got my passport back with the visa in it in about 5 minutes. Even though there was no real reason to think I wouldn't get it, with all the chatter and uncertainty on this forum, it was nice to actually have it in my hand. :-)

Not really related to the subject but just to finish the story. I went to the London embassy yesterday, spent about 10 minutes queuing to hand in my application form for a double entry tourist visa, the woman behind the counter didn't appear to check anything and just took my money. I went back this morning and got my passport back with the visa in it in about 5 minutes. Even though there was no real reason to think I wouldn't get it, with all the chatter and uncertainty on this forum, it was nice to actually have it in my hand. :-)

Yes, it's easy to get a visa if you qualify for it.

It's the under 50's who are working illegally that they're trying to stop.

Edited by ukrules

Hi sounds good , I'm a newbie on here as you can see , but I've been busy getting confused by the day as to how to obtain and what visa to request .. Quick bit of potted history , I've been going to Thailand every year for 20 years but normally only 30 day entry visa , I have a thai girlfriend of 14 years how lives with me here in the Uk since 2004 , she has residency here , works etc .. I've wanted to retire for some time now or semi retire ( I'm 55 ) .

My other half though does not want to return , she has a good job and sends her wedge home every month , anyway because she's from krasang if and when she returns she wants to stay at home , I get bored shitless up there and prefer Pattaya . And because a bus journey would be 7-9 hours .. And a flight 12 hours anyway ,what's the difference ok stay in the uk . we've decided I'll go for 6 month a year alone , while she stays home in the uk ( I own my property ) . I can't seem to find a 6 month visa .

Now here's my questions .... I plan to go in November and return in about May 2015 and do this every year , certainly for 5-6 years before I finally sell up and go hopefully for good . What info do I need to take to the London embassy ? .. Would it do any good taking my girlfriend ? ( she does need a new passport anyway ) .. What do I apply for ? .. If I go for a retirement visa , I don't yet have a Thai bank account and will to transfer money while in in Thailand to open that account , then it's got to be in there 2 months ,plus how do you get a health check ? And criminal clearance .. ? It might sound silly but do I go to a police STM and the doctors for them ?? ... Or do I just get 3 month visa and go to immigration in Thailand and get it extended ? .. Do I take bank statements to the London embassy ? I do draw a small pension already , but do have substantial savings .. I should know all things things but they seem to change the rules so often and there's so many different opinions .and when do apply as does that visa start as soon as it's issued ? .. I just want 6 months on .. 6 months off ..

I just want 6 months on .. 6 months off ..

For a six months stay you can get a double entry visa. Each entry is extended 30 days, and you do one border hop to activate 2nd entry.

Edited by paz

...Would it do any good taking my girlfriend ? ( she does need a new passport anyway ) .. What do I apply for ? ...

She can get a new Thai passport from the Thai embassy in London.

What do I apply for ?

Ideally, you should get a single-entry non-O visa and then get the retirement extension from your local immigration office. Unfortunately, however, the Thai embassy and honorary consulates in the UK deviate from the standard visa requirements and you will probably have to start out with a single-entry tourist visa, promptly after your arrival in Thailand open a savings account and transfer the equivalent of minimum 800k Baht into it, make sure that the account balance never drops below 800k until you apply for the retirement extension, during the last 30 days of your permission to stay apply at the immigration office for a change of visa to non-O (fee 2,000 Baht), which gives you an addition 90 days' permission to stay, then during the last 30 days apply for the retirement extension (fee 1'900 Baht). No medical certificate is needed for this.

Thanks guys

I don't want do anything illegal or apply for the wrong thing , maybe I'm worrying about nothing but when I'm not sure of the rules it concerns me as I don't want to keep mucking about . Or for that matter be panicking at the airport ! .

It sounds like either option will work

But are you saying a single entry could last 3 months , and in that time and 30 days before it expires ( and already making sure I've transferred within the first month 800k bht ) apply for a retirement visa .... And there will be NO health or criminal checks ?

But are you saying a single entry could last 3 months , and in that time and 30 days before it expires ( and already making sure I've transferred within the first month 800k bht ) apply for a retirement visa .... And there will be NO health or criminal checks ?

You will apply in Thailand for an extension of stay, not a visa.

There are no health and criminal checks for that.