Cleared 11 year overstay

A couple of years ago I came to Thailand on a 30 day tourist visa then went to Cambodia and returned a couple of days later and never looked at the visa to return to Thailand only to get to the airport to go home from suvanabhumi 29 days after I arrived in Thailand and got hauled off by the IO and told I had overstayed because the visa from Cambodia was for 15 days and it had been 16 since I came back into Thailand.

1 day overstay because of a stupid visa stuff up and it cost 1000 bt.

you get 20000 bt for intentionally overstaying 3916 days at approximately 5 bt per day where is the justice??? 555

Very weird, you paid in Thailand for a visa overstay from Cambodia?

in Thailand is just 500baht per day

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

omg,

you should go to your home country and stay there, but I guess nobody wants you there!

if you are on overstay or retirement Visa or on ED Visa you pay the same tax in thailand,

VAT and may be for car and motorbike,

same like most thai never pai any tax more than this listed above,

how people can judge anybody who get a fine from Immigration for his offense and it is ok,

i not payed tea money to solve his problem, its thai law 20000 baht fine.

how people can write and wish that peopelafter cleared overstay should be banned to enter,

may be there are kids and wife, after 11 years his all life is in thailand.

An overstay is nothing only not left the country, this make you so angry?

so when you drive without helmet or wrong parking you should loose your driving licence for some year?

I guess you expect to get fines som e hundret baht and keep going on

Oh it gets better than that. There was a thread on here from a poster asking how he could get a passport to a friend who was currently being detained at a local prison pending trial. The bail was set at 300,000 baht, so we can safely assume it was for something much worse than 'overstay'. Posters on this forum to a man were jumping in with all kinds of advice, even after not having been given any information as to what the offence was other than that 'it wasn't drugs'. So could have been anything from fraud to theft to kiddy fiddling.

I can smell the hypocrisy from here.

It could be something as normal as having had an accident causing either damage or injury. Bail for that will be around that amount.

It 'could' be something as 'normal' as having had an accident ... But neither you nor any other poster aiding and abetting what was clearly an attempt to abscond back to their home country actually knew that. Did you.

And I would take issue with your implication that attempting to avoid prosecution for damage/injury to another is 'normal'.

Read what you wrote before making accusations. You said there was a post on how to get a passport (presumably the persons who had it in his room and not on him when arrested) Then you posted a lot of rubish saying `it could be "rom fraud to theft to kiddy fiddling" which is a very serious accusation to make. I merely pointed out that there were many reasons for 300k bail.

I really take issue with your kind of post.

Some of you guys are so thick it's unbelievable.

I'm guessing you weren't on the high school debate team.

I was - and I was taught to never engage with people that were so far out of their depth that humiliation would follow.

Anyway I'll break rule now - I have no doubt whatsoever you believe your first reply to be adroit and well thought out.

It's ridiculous -

I won't be angry with you my only question is

Why did it take you 11 years ???

We all know the rules, this is not our homeland and we have to abide by there rules....

Anyway, glad it's all worked out for you, and now you can have the correct papers and Visa to live here.

Be thankful that you are (obviously) Caucasian. Otherwise, you'd have been busted within the first 90-days of your over-stay,.... guaranteed! 10, 11, 14 and even 20 years of over-stays, have now been documented. An African (even with a healthy bank account) would have first become an immediate guest of the Bangkok Hilton, then deported, for some indefinite period of time. Again, recognize your good fortune, in that regard, at least. Cheers, rolleyes.gif

For real, but its not so unbelievable, all things considered. Be advised (dummies) that the Thai version of Scotland Yard/FBI monitors this website, on a 24/7 basis. Capiche? whistling.gif

I was - and I was taught to never engage with people that were so far out of their depth that humiliation would follow.

Anyway I'll break rule now - I have no doubt whatsoever you believe your first reply to be adroit and well thought out.

It's ridiculous -

For real, but its not so unbelievable, all things considered. Be advised (dummies) that the Thai version of Scotland Yard/FBI monitors this website, on a 24/7 basis. Capiche? whistling.gif

It's ridiculous -

That sounds like excellent advice for expats, when dealing with the vast majority of locals. Being ignored, by the local indigenants, can often be a blessing in disguise. Khap Khun Maak Khrap wai.gif

• Like 1

welcome back, 1800 baht per month that what i call the deal of the century!

As i used to think, all these story about people who where turned down at the airport and send to IDC, were only myths and BS.

mate, 11 years.... thats a very long time!

"1800 baht per month"

Hrmmmm... per YEAR!!!

It should have been per month, surely!

• Like 1

We all know the rules, this is not our homeland and we have to abide by there rules....

Anyway, glad it's all worked out for you, and now you can have the correct papers and Visa to live here.

Be thankful that you are (obviously) Caucasian. Otherwise, you'd have been busted within the first 90-days of your over-stay,.... guaranteed! 10, 11, 14 and even 20 years of over-stays, have now been documented. An African (even with a healthy bank account) would have first become an immediate guest of the Bangkok Hilton, then deported, for some indefinite period of time. Again, recognize your good fortune, in that regard, at least. Cheers, rolleyes.gif

Stop talking about the Bangkok Hilton when it's clear that you don't what or where it is, and for which detainees it's destined.

You cannot seriously believe that all the overstayers are monied up and can support themselves indefinitely on their savings.

Lot of American servicemen in the boonies, been here since the 70s.

Their pensions are there until they're dead.

I can easily see how someone could get a pension, then just live here the next 40 years without paperwork.

Please remember US Army pension can start at age 40 (or a bit earlier).

I know one former soldier living here on a disability pension (he was shot) he's had that started when he was 25!

Nobody in the rural areas cares about foreigners and paperwork.

Quite a lot of Thais don't even understand foreigners need passports or VISAs.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

welcome back, 1800 baht per month that what i call the deal of the century!

As i used to think, all these story about people who where turned down at the airport and send to IDC, were only myths and BS.

mate, 11 years.... thats a very long time!

"1800 baht per month"

Hrmmmm... per YEAR!!!

It should have been per month, surely!

yeah you right, 1800 baht per month would have been too much expensivewhistling.gif

in the op case that was 5 baht per day, yeah only 5 bahtlaugh.png

with 5 baht you can not even pay for the bus, but you can save for you overstay finelaugh.pnglaugh.png

Just keep you execution impeccable - 11 years overstay, 1 post count, that can be sort of a TV record.

Maybe he didn't have anything to say? I prefer lurkers over barstool philosophers who have an opinion on everything...just saying.

Respect to the OP for sorting himself out after such long time.

Don't know why that long overstay, but seen a few over the years. Basically two categories; one not earning enough to get the right visa, and two simply too old to travel or even care.

You are his advocate now or his confessor?

Not angry just sad that you treated the law here with such contempt. IMO you should have been blacklisted for at least another 11 years.

Why do you feel that way? I don't understand why there are so many people at this forum angry at other people who take chances with the laws. If the person (op) was in the country for 11 years with no trouble, I think he hasn't made problems for anybody or broke laws, so how did he do harm to you? Please don't say it is because he makes all western foreigners look bad because I am sure Thai population doesn't care if he breaks that law. The Thai population is probably happy that he was here spending his money for the 11 years.

It's people like him that caused the crackdown.

How do you feel about that?

Does the crackdown against long time over stayers with harsh penalties, make problems for you or people who only go with the law?

So please stop lamenting.

Problems can come with the now also more strict enforced, Visa exempt periods and (Tourist, ED-Visa)

for many people, but that is not the fault of the long term over stayers.

Not angry just sad that you treated the law here with such contempt. IMO you should have been blacklisted for at least another 11 years.

Why do you feel that way? I don't understand why there are so many people at this forum angry at other people who take chances with the laws. If the person (op) was in the country for 11 years with no trouble, I think he hasn't made problems for anybody or broke laws, so how did he do harm to you? Please don't say it is because he makes all western foreigners look bad because I am sure Thai population doesn't care if he breaks that law. The Thai population is probably happy that he was here spending his money for the 11 years.

It's people like him that caused the crackdown.

How do you feel about that?

Does the crackdown against long time over stayers with harsh penalties, make problems for you or people who only go with the law?

So please stop lamenting.

Problems can come with the now also more strict enforced, Visa exempt periods and (Tourist, ED-Visa)

for many people, but that is not the fault of the long term over stayers.

yes it does make problems

Respect to the OP for sorting himself out after such long time.

Don't know why that long overstay, but seen a few over the years. Basically two categories; one not earning enough to get the right visa, and two simply too old to travel or even care.

You are his advocate now or his confessor?

And you are the judge?

Funny, some overstayers have been here much longer than these hypocrites and law book moralists here, full of fire and brimstone. They are much more "native" than these puritans will ever become.

"Puritanism. The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy." - H. L. Mencken

• Like 1

Funny, some overstayers have been here much longer than these hypocrites and law book moralists here, full of fire and brimstone. They are much more "native" than these puritans will ever become.

"Puritanism. The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy." - H. L. Mencken

the overstayers spoil things for all farangs

Read what you wrote before making accusations. You said there was a post on how to get a passport (presumably the persons who had it in his room and not on him when arrested) Then you posted a lot of rubish saying `it could be "rom fraud to theft to kiddy fiddling" which is a very serious accusation to make. I merely pointed out that there were many reasons for 300k bail.

I believe it is you who should re-read my post, and this time, not selectively. At no point did I state the detainee was accused of 'kiddy fiddling'. I did say it could have been, along with theft or fraud, rather prevalent amongst certain areas in the ex-pat community here. However, we shall never know, but I'm willing to bet it was not a vehicular accident. Many here are involved in traffic related disputes and have no problem admitting that. After all, it does not carry quite the disapprobation of someone who has stolen from another, defrauded another, or, sexually molested a child. Does it.

You seem very defensive? Were you one of the posters aiding and abetting this criminal?

I believe it is you who should re-read my post, and this time, not selectively. At no point did I state the detainee was accused of 'kiddy fiddling'. I did say it could have been, along with theft or fraud, rather prevalent amongst certain areas in the ex-pat community here. However, we shall never know, but I'm willing to bet it was not a vehicular accident. Many here are involved in traffic related disputes and have no problem admitting that. After all, it does not carry quite the disapprobation of someone who has stolen from another, defrauded another, or, sexually molested a child. Does it.

You seem very defensive? Were you one of the posters aiding and abetting this criminal?

No, but I also am not a criminal overstayer. Have you got your overstay problem sorted yet?

No, but I also am not a criminal overstayer. Have you got your overstay problem sorted yet?

As far as I am aware, overstay is not a crime, but a misdemeanor.

Similar to jaywalking or parking next to a fire hydrant.

Wow 11 years no wonder you had high blood pressure, constantly waiting for the knock on the door or nearly having a stroke each time you see a policeman no way to live over something so easy to rectify

If i was you i would have gotten a new passport before returning to the country and cleared that overstay stamp out of your life. Now every time you apply for a new visa or extension it will be seen and come back to haunt you because we all know that the immigration rule book is open to interpretation with every different officer you speak to.

As far as I am aware, overstay is not a crime, but a misdemeanor.

Similar to jaywalking or parking next to a fire hydrant.

Overstay definition is given by google and others as "an action or omission that constitutes an offense that may be prosecuted by the state and is punishable by law." In fact even in an extended definition it is a crime as it can be punished by imprisonment.

I also want to know why 11 years.

Were you not privy of the law or did you just chose to ignore it ?

Because the OP is either lazy or very smart

Your continuing efforts to defend the indefensible and attempt to distract attention from the thrust of my post in that you, and others like you, consider 'overstayers' bad and criminal detainees worthy of sympathy, strongly suggest you have a personal interest ph34r.png

I would like to say I hope it all worked out for you. But I don't.