British Drivers Licence

Wellington

I have recently applied and got a new plastic GB Drivers Licence, which was issued by The DVLA,

and showed my UK address of 5 years ago

When I pointed out to them that I was resident in Thailand for the last 4 years, they told me they could not issue another licence when the current one runs out in 3 years as

1.I am not resident in UK

2.I am over 70

3.Foreign addresses are not permissible .

4. They had issued the current licence in error.!

I am English; I hold a GB Passport; I have paid my taxes;

Can this be a joke?

Are they serious?

Can I be refused a GB licence as an Englishman born and bred, just because I chose to retire to where I can afford to live. ?

PS: I do have a Thai licence, but am not sure of it's acceptability when I hire a car in Europe .

Grateful for any comment .

Edited by Rse

They are correct, you are resident in Thailand and therefore the DVLC in the UK will not issue you with a UK license.

It is nothing to do with nationality, nor the amount of taxes you have paied, it's all about residence and address.

You need a valid UK address to receive the license, no address - no license.

Based on the Thai - licence you can get an IDP (Intern. Drivering Permit) in Thailand.

IDP and Thai licence together are perfectly ok to drive in Europe as long as you reside in Thailand.

You can either get a friend in the UK to recieve a UK licence for you, but as you are over 70, you will need a medical I think. Alternatively you can obtain an international licence in BKK to go with your Thai one. My wife drives in the UK on her Thai/international licence without a problem. Car hire companies must always be renting cars in Europe to non europeans, but I guess if you were not sure, you could check with them.