options when visa runs out and no funds

What nationality?

It's possible some embassies MIGHT help to repatriate but of course right of international travel would be lost unless paid back.

That's about airfare.

Not sure about needed overstay fines.

Beyond that ... maybe can raise funds for overstay fine (when leaving at airport) and fly to Singapore or someplace nearby that might have better prison conditions than Thailand. In Singapore the only crime would be no money ... so maybe that's a place to start better than in Thailand.

I know many people will accuse the OP of trolling ... oh well!

American here - about a decade ago I ran out of funds in Paris. It was an awful situation for me. I went to the US embassy, and they 're-patriated' me (as they called it) to the US, paid for the flight (and even some food money, if I remember correctly).

The deal was, my passport was invalid for any thing else, until I paid back the government for the amount. After I paid it back (about a year later), they issued me a new passport.

That was about a decade ago exactly, so I don't know if that's changed, or if the Embassy in Thailand would be the same as it was in Paris.

• Like 2

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are 60+ years. And have not been working the last 10-15 years. And don't have any special skill or education. The chanses of getting a job is nearly zero.....

It's also very difficult to start again when you are that old and have not done any working for many years

Obviously. But people will still moralize "get a job" when that isn't even possible.

yes it is. i could get anyone that wants to work a job in 10 minutes flat.

You basically just come here to say cruel things to people every day. It's very difficult to feel any respect for you.

• Like 2

Another case of unbelieve stupidity.

I assume OP is from US,would you give/buy everything in your wife's name there,i trust that answer is NO.

Finland&Sweden embassies do not help in anyway in cases like this,couple of cases i know,people collected money in bars for ticket home,both were homeless&in bad shape already. And guessed right,both back in LOS,so no lesson learned there.

OP,i hope that you sort you situation somehow,cannot contact someone thai to reason with your ex that she gives money for ticket?

Believe me,homeless in Thailand,do not do it!

How to make money out of a situation like this?

Send an edulcorated version of your story to your local news medias.

Set up a facebook page with a link to charity donations bank account... and wait!

At least, it worked for a Belgian guy who was arrested with a fake stamp in his passport...

Edited by lazygourmet

A very sad story, coupled with some serious stupidity surely.

30M batt ten years ago, why wait until absolutely nothing left before heading for the home country, makes no sense

Most major countries will help the elderly who have nothing, the UK for instance if you were a UK holder of passport would take you under their wing

There is a lot more to this than has been stated, maybe on the run for ten years with ill gotten gains, but still sad

It is so sad when somebody who is desperate and asking for advice, gets so much abuse. I am from the UK and so not from the Us as you are - my advice would be to contact your embassy and seek their advice, as well as contact charitable organisations in the US and plead your case.

• Like 1

Help from the US Embassy; now that will be a surprise. I had a smaller problem-needing funds to get home a few years ago. The US embassy said solly about that Farang You must get your money from family. I think your story is bogus anyway so get a cup and sit on the corner of any soi that has bars and start begging; else you will have a Thai prison in your near future, where I understand you can work off your debt at the rate of 200 baht a day . It might only take you ten years to get enough money to buy a plane ticket home where you should immediately enroll in English language classes instead of sitting on the toilet thinking about whatever is in your brain at the moment. You are in big trouble real soon

You managed to piss away 30 million baht?

Sorry I have no sympathy for you at all, go beg on your knees to your ex or go to the US embassy and speak to someone there

which means in less than 5 years you went from 1 million dollars to 0 and you claim you are on retirement visa so 50+... amazing Thailand where you can live easily for 4000$ per year but people end up spending 200,000$ per year I Don't Think 4000 A Year Is Possible That's Like 333 Dollars a Month I Think Including Everthing More Like 480000 Bht Per Year

Why are you so worried about your visa? This is the least of your worries...

I don't want to pile on but what has your consulate said? They must have some options, as your situation is not unique.

Do you have food? Are you sick?

This is actually a good question, are there places or agencies for someone to go while waiting to go home when they're in such a situation?

thank you for all those who try their best to reply helpfully ,to those who think i fake or not real perhaps you never had a million to spend it is quite easy buy a few cars some property some land build a nice large house

But all those assets don't evaporate into thin air in just a few years isn't it ?

I call you troll, and here are a few punctuation marks for your next post, as it seems you have run out of those as well.

..............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,??????????????'''''''''''''''' ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;""""""""""""""""""

• Like 1

thank you for all those who try their best to reply helpfully ,to those who think i fake or not real perhaps you never had a million to spend it is quite easy buy a few cars some property some land build a nice large house make friends with less fortunate people and it soon goes belive me i would not consider myself an extravegent man by any meens i have always been quite savy but if you have never had it to spend you not really know ,to those who are critical of my grammer you are probably right i never had much school and never had money till i was over 40 was unemployable really but i did make a million honestly paid all my taxes it took about 7 years and it took about the same to loss all.i came here onin my 40s and could not go on rtirement visa till i was 50 i hope that explains to someone their caculations where out somewhat ,i am glad i not suffer from thinking i know everything ,i have been poor most of my life and i am glad i made some money and i am quite happy i lost it all,it was quite an education better than having to spend my life wishing for something.i have experiences everything in life i ever wanted to and alot more i feel very good about myself,i only posted here against my better judgement in case i had missed something when reviewing my present situation,and i would like to thank all those decent people who try their best to be helpful and i will pray for all others thank you for your time

So did you have a retirement visa at 40? Your story stinks, sorry, I have not one bit of anything for you, but I guess you are a creative writer.... Yeah, you are , then you were there, and then you were gone......You are a spoiled bitch.

Leave now and go home, bet your parents are proud of you! Sorry no sympathy here..... I hope that pussy was worth it.....

Kerrycheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Fake or not, the abstract question is real ... what to do IF the money REALLY runs out and nowhere to turn any more.

History, and human nature show, it doesn't matter how much money you start with, all that matters is your personal spending habits, generosity and/or gullibility.

As Jingthing states, the question is real.

What would you do if you found yourself in a foreign country with no help. The OP provides he is out of funds, cannot meet the visa criteria to remain, has contacted family and will not receive support or help from them, and has contacted his Embassy.

What would you do in his shoes?

When you get your money down to the price of a one way ticket back to your country you leave. Simple.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What nationality?

It's possible some embassies MIGHT help to repatriate but of course right of international travel would be lost unless paid back.

That's about airfare.

Not sure about needed overstay fines.

Beyond that ... maybe can raise funds for overstay fine (when leaving at airport) and fly to Singapore or someplace nearby that might have better prison conditions than Thailand. In Singapore the only crime would be no money ... so maybe that's a place to start better than in Thailand.

I know many people will accuse the OP of trolling ... oh well!

American here - about a decade ago I ran out of funds in Paris. It was an awful situation for me. I went to the US embassy, and they 're-patriated' me (as they called it) to the US, paid for the flight (and even some food money, if I remember correctly).

The deal was, my passport was invalid for any thing else, until I paid back the government for the amount. After I paid it back (about a year later), they issued me a new passport.

That was about a decade ago exactly, so I don't know if that's changed, or if the Embassy in Thailand would be the same as it was in Paris.

Consistent with what this gentleman said, the United States does have an assistance program for repatriation.

The link that details the US State Department Repatriation Program: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86600.pdf

US Embassy Albania has a good page for how the program works, and though the US Embassy Thailand does not have a web page up for the program, it should work very similarly: http://tirana.usembassy.gov/repat-loan.html

If you are 60+ years. And have not been working the last 10-15 years. And don't have any special skill or education. The chanses of getting a job is nearly zero.....

It's also very difficult to start again when you are that old and have not done any working for many years

Obviously. But people will still moralize "get a job" when that isn't even possible.

yes it is. i could get anyone that wants to work a job in 10 minutes flat.

You basically just come here to say cruel things to people every day. It's very difficult to feel any respect for you.

who said life was easy?

Another case of unbelieve stupidity.

I assume OP is from US,would you give/buy everything in your wife's name there,i trust that answer is NO.

Finland&Sweden embassies do not help in anyway in cases like this,couple of cases i know,people collected money in bars for ticket home,both were homeless&in bad shape already. And guessed right,both back in LOS,so no lesson learned there.

OP,i hope that you sort you situation somehow,cannot contact someone thai to reason with your ex that she gives money for ticket?

Believe me,homeless in Thailand,do not do it!

They will help you even if they don't give you money. It's not like they will tell you that they don't help you and then send you away

a lot of people seem to focus on money ,money is not my problem other that i do not have any,i have little regard for money and i no wish to have ,also i would like to make clear that i was not cheated out of my money by mw wife she is a very good lady she never did me any wrong i walked out of that marriage for another lady not anything i am proud of i have however made another relationship with another fine thai lady and she looks fter me we have 3 children she can look after me feed me but i have no income whatsoever she does not want me to walk out of this relationship i do not want to go but my visa will run out i am housebound cannot walk and unable to work other than drive that i can do this family seem to rely on me not for money but we get along well and have respect dignity though in poverty i have had lots of support from thai people even people in authority i respect them and they respect me .however i am in process of facing uop to a fast approaching situation of do i go into overstay and stay with my family of am i to affraid of a thai gail and take the easy option and get out it amazes me how self rightous so many people aare in asuming they see the whole picture and their opinion are right and that they shoulded be listened to .this is why i love thailand thai people and their culture i do not have any attraction to any welfare sate give me a charitable communith anyday western culture is not attractive to me

• Like 2

thank you for all those who try their best to reply helpfully ,to those who think i fake or not real perhaps you never had a million to spend it is quite easy buy a few cars some property some land build a nice large house make friends with less fortunate people and it soon goes belive me i would not consider myself an extravegent man by any meens i have always been quite savy but if you have never had it to spend you not really know ,to those who are critical of my grammer you are probably right i never had much school and never had money till i was over 40 was unemployable really but i did make a million honestly paid all my taxes it took about 7 years and it took about the same to loss all.i came here onin my 40s and could not go on rtirement visa till i was 50 i hope that explains to someone their caculations where out somewhat ,i am glad i not suffer from thinking i know everything ,i have been poor most of my life and i am glad i made some money and i am quite happy i lost it all,it was quite an education better than having to spend my life wishing for something.i have experiences everything in life i ever wanted to and alot more i feel very good about myself,i only posted here against my better judgement in case i had missed something when reviewing my present situation,and i would like to thank all those decent people who try their best to be helpful and i will pray for all others thank you for your time

so if i read this right you bought cars , property ect , and land? where is all that? now did you sell , i know here you cant own land unless you have your own a company.. and you can only own 49% a thai must own 51% unless you bought for gf all? and its in her name or familys . and if you where 40 when you got here,and now on retirement at 50, how old are you now?you said you been on retirement for 10 yrs??. in your first post? 1 mill usd is not alot in todays standards. in usa . most houses cost 500 k or better now you could marry your thai gf may make it easier to stay here.only cost you 1,900 bh i think to stay as dependant.that way her family can apply for credits and help you pay for stay

troll post award comming

4 posts ... brags about 1 million us$ thrown away... you have no state pension ?

good planning if you cannot even leave 800k baht in a fixed deposit account

and a tip ... punctuation ... works in every language, makes a post more readable