Just drove through the Central Festival underpass for the first time

SeaVisionBurma

A question for the experts.

If heading north-south (or south-north) will you have to use the tunnel?

Or, will you be able to stay on the existing road, designed for people to turn left or right, but then continue straight on when the right turn arrows are green?

This is a tactic some use in my home country when the freeway/tunnel is clogged so as to gain some ground on the stalled traffic.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you will be able to stay on the road and then continue straight at the turns. There would be no point having a tunnel, otherwise.

Not so sure that would not be able to use the slip roads if you you did not want to use the tunnel. Might be the would put up barriers but that would impede traffic east/West trying to slip north or south. Interesting.

I don't think you will be able to stay on the road and then continue straight at the turns. There would be no point having a tunnel, otherwise.

Not so sure that would not be able to use the slip roads if you you did not want to use the tunnel. Might be the would put up barriers but that would impede traffic east/West trying to slip north or south. Interesting.

Thanks for understanding my post.

I was thinking if, in a scenario where an accident or flooding blocks the tunnel (as many here predict), could the slip roads be used to bypass it.

And, if so, what would stop people doing this at any time if the tunnel traffic is moving slowly because of the idiotic 3 lanes system?

You guys are all so negative. At least there was no one fishing in the lake at the bottom of the tunnel.

This will be the new hotspot for road deaths in Phuket.

Just imagine if you were a private owner and you paid a company to make you an underpass, and this is what they handed over to you.

What an absolute joke.

Anyway, my predictions still hold true, there is no way this project will be finished until next year.

Yes you can stay on the slip roads and go straight ahead.

But you are controlled by the traffic lights.When the east west traffic is flowing you will be stopped at a red light if you are going straight ahead.

But you are controlled by the traffic lights.When the east west traffic is flowing you will be stopped at a red light if you are going straight ahead.

Yes, that's why I said this in my original post.

then continue straight on when the right turn arrows are green?

On freeways in Australia sometimes they specifically ban this practice, and set up police traps to catch people who ignore the signs.

Edited by Old Croc

To get a bit of sanity of the 'tunnel will be submerged during the rain' discussion.

- What is the rain collection area for the tunnel?

If it would be for example 100 meters in length and 10 meters wide, then the area is 1000m2.

Very light rain precipitation rate is < 0.25 mm/hour Light rain precipitation rate is between 0.25mm/hour and 1.0mm/hour Moderate rain precipitation rate is between 1.0 mm/hour and 4.0 mm/hour Heavy rain recipitation rate is between 4.0 mm/hour and 16.0 mm/hour Very heavy rain precipitation rate is between 16.0 mm/hour and 50 mm/hour Extreme rain recipitation rate is > 50.0 mm/hour

Source: http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Rain_measurement#Rain_Rate

If the rain is heavy, let's say 10mm/hour, this would mean that the rainwater collection would be 1000m2*0.010m = 10m3. Pumps should handle that quite easily.

In case of extreme rain (50mm/hour) pump capasity would need to be 50m3/hour or 830 liters/minute.

To get a bit of sanity of the 'tunnel will be submerged during the rain' discussion.

- What is the rain collection area for the tunnel?

If it would be for example 100 meters in length and 10 meters wide, then the area is 1000m2.

Very light rain precipitation rate is < 0.25 mm/hour Light rain precipitation rate is between 0.25mm/hour and 1.0mm/hour Moderate rain precipitation rate is between 1.0 mm/hour and 4.0 mm/hour Heavy rain recipitation rate is between 4.0 mm/hour and 16.0 mm/hour Very heavy rain precipitation rate is between 16.0 mm/hour and 50 mm/hour Extreme rain recipitation rate is > 50.0 mm/hour

Source: http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Rain_measurement#Rain_Rate

If the rain is heavy, let's say 10mm/hour, this would mean that the rainwater collection would be 1000m2*0.010m = 10m3. Pumps should handle that quite easily.

In case of extreme rain (50mm/hour) pump capasity would need to be 50m3/hour or 830 liters/minute.

We have a new concrete road running past our house.

It's not that long, but in that downpour that's just gone over, we had enough water (and sand) channelled into our carport to fill the tunnel several times over.

Yes, that's why I said this in my original post.

then continue straight on when the right turn arrows are green?

On freeways in Australia sometimes they specifically ban this practice, and set up police traps to catch people who ignore the signs.

Yes, that's why I said this in my original post.then continue straight on when the right turn arrows are green?

Not necessarily correct Chiang mai has maybe a dozen?? underpasses and it all works really well.Here you have to wait for a straight ahead greenlight..the right turn one is for right turn from both directions only..If you went straight ahead on green turn arrow you would collide with traffic turning in front of you coming from opposite direction. It is usually not a 'shortcut' to take the slip road..lights are long between changes[same as central intersection before the underpass] and besides that the traffic flow on highway [underpass is usually very fast..Love Chiang Mai underpasses!!

All underpasses here are 4 lane and mostly have centre divider and access footpath on both sides and unlike Phuket motorcycles can use them..they are really efficient here but obviously were build with a lot more thought all round.

post-169941-0-67644300-1408342002_thumb.post-169941-0-67644300-1408342002_thumb.

PS to all you who are worried flooding..get over it..never seen any of the underpasses flooded here..maybe if exceptional circumstances..major, major 100 year flooding where all else is flooded it could happen but that can happen anywhere in the world.

post-169941-0-79343300-1408342051_thumb.

Edited by andreandre

And here is an example of water pump which handles 50m3/hour. By installing 3 of those should be on safe side if the collection area is somewhere around 1000m2.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/IS80-65-125-DN-80mm-65mm-Flow-50M3-H-Head-20M-single-stage-and-single-suction/985738103.html

The deaths that will occur due to flooding will have absolutely nothing to do with pump capacity. Thais cannot even maintain their water supply pumps that are relied upon daily. Do you really think that a pump hidden somewhere in the bottom of a tunnel will be properly maintained.

I will stand by my earlier post. This tunnel will become the new hotspot for road deaths on the island. And not just from flooding...

And here is an example of water pump which handles 50m3/hour. By installing 3 of those should be on safe side if the collection area is somewhere around 1000m2.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/IS80-65-125-DN-80mm-65mm-Flow-50M3-H-Head-20M-single-stage-and-single-suction/985738103.html

The deaths that will occur due to flooding will have absolutely nothing to do with pump capacity. Thais cannot even maintain their water supply pumps that are relied upon daily. Do you really think that a pump hidden somewhere in the bottom of a tunnel will be properly maintained.

I will stand by my earlier post. This tunnel will become the new hotspot for road deaths on the island. And not just from flooding...

It would be waste of my time trying to change your state of mind. So go ahead believe what you wish. Time will show the truth once the underpass has been in function for a while.

As i said earlier and therefore agree with you in part about potential for accidents, by way of its poor 3 lane design, but more worrying is the lack of access to vehicles/people involved after any crash.

As for your comment about pumps/flooding..sorry but that that is just crazy talk IMO

Next job once this underpass is completed is sortout the traffic problem at Chalong roundabout.

They're planning another underpass for there! Should be brilliant, if it's anything like the one up at Central! For some reason an overpass is not even being considered. Not enough graft involved in an overpass I guess?

• Like 1

Next job once this underpass is completed is sortout the traffic problem at Chalong roundabout.

They're planning another underpass for there! Should be brilliant, if it's anything like the one up at Central! For some reason an overpass is not even being considered. Not enough graft involved in an overpass I guess?

wonder if they had there survey on a rainy day like today

I did open a discussion about the Chalong Circle here a few days ago.

Found the initial meeting http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/651558-proposed-solution-to-chalong-circle-traffic/

very interesting the following:

Mr Samak told those at the meeting that Phuket was a tourist island, so required a modern designed underpass or overpass.

“We need to work hard to find the right design for this project,” he said.

“We have to carefully calculate the right size and shape because Phuket is very small.

The effects on the environment and landscape also needs to be a primary concern too.”

My, not to be taken seriously, suggestion was to apply for a world heritage because of the existing Landscape of the Chalong Circle

I wouldn't drive through the tunnel. Screws,nails and wire will be keeping tire shops busy.

Very good point.

Although no choice today and the other day during the heavy rain, all traffic northbound was being diverted into the tunnel.

I wouldn't drive through the tunnel. Screws,nails and wire will be keeping tire shops busy.

Very good point.

Although no choice today and the other day during the heavy rain, all traffic northbound was being diverted into the tunnel.

Nothing to stop you using the slip road up to the junction and driving as normal through the lights junction. I have no plans to ever use the tunnel until it has been well proven flood free, and the point about all the nails, wire, and debris is most valid.

North bound traffic is back through the tunnel now at a single lane crawl.

attachicon.gif1408349484353.jpg

attachicon.gif1408349510301.jpg

Wow, that really shows just how narrow this really is..looking at the bus, then picture 3 off them together at some stage in transition of this underpass..w00t.gif

That's four lanes thai style. Maybe 5 in rush hour.

Yep and only two lanes in the real world...

This project is doomed to fail if its sole aim was to improve traffic flow...

Found the initial meeting http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/651558-proposed-solution-to-chalong-circle-traffic/

Mr Samak told those at the meeting that Phuket was a tourist island, so required a modern designed underpass or overpass.

“We have to carefully calculate the right size and shape because Phuket is very small.

The effects on the environment and landscape also needs to be a primary concern too.”

My, not to be taken seriously, suggestion was to apply for a world heritage because of the existing Landscape of the Chalong Circle

Can you imagine them building that proposed underpass at chalong circle..?? if they had to close that huge area at Tesco down to virtually one lane each way how the hell are they going to build an underpass in chalong with that extremely limited, virtually one lane/five ways space? ..unless they close the circle completely and detour everything through chalong pier side road / stunt show road/ and all the back roads that lead to the rear of villa market.....and the circle with be closed for what?? about 3 years to finish it? I live in chalong and except when the police decide to 'assist' with traffic directions its not so bad except when you are coming north from rawai at times.

Perhaps some new roads that offer an alternative route would be better, like they have done on the new[ish] muang chaofa road that runs near Honda/shell station on way north to central that now comes out near makro so you can completely bypass the central and Tesco debacles.

Can you imagine them building that proposed underpass at chalong circle..?? if they had to close that huge area at Tesco down to virtually one lane each way how the hell are they going to build an underpass in chalong with that extremely limited, virtually one lane/five ways space? ..unless they close the circle completely and detour everything through chalong pier side road / stunt show road/ and all the back roads that lead to the rear of villa market.....and the circle with be closed for what?? about 3 years to finish it? I live in chalong and except when the police decide to 'assist' with traffic directions its not so bad except when you are coming north from rawai at times.

Perhaps some new roads that offer an alternative route would be better, like they have done on the new[ish] muang chaofa road that runs near Honda/shell station on way north to central that now comes out near makro so you can completely bypass the central and Tesco debacles.

While I agree with you. I don't think Phuket or Thailand in general has heard of civic planning or infrastructure. It's always years too late and just a poor attempt to try to alleviate a long existing problem, sadly...

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 2