Just drove through the Central Festival underpass for the first time

SeaVisionBurma

A short while ago I drove with a friend to head past Central (going north from Chalong), and the traffic was at a crawl (figured it was due to all the heavy rain)

Imagine our surprise when we were diverted down through the tunnel.

Haven't seen it open to public traffic before today.

Snapped a few photos and videos out of interest.

post-136-0-01493100-1408164819_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-13010700-1408164833_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-31372700-1408164847_thumb.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple of video clips, can't upload a .3gp file though. Can video files be uploaded/embedded here?

You could upload it to youtube or Facebook and then copy the share link here. It will be embedded automatically.

This one was on Phuket News facebook feed.

You could upload it to youtube or Facebook and then copy the share link here. It will be embedded automatically.

Thanks for that, no need now, I've been scooped! (and that one has a far better soundtrack than me swearing at the water and stuff lying around biggrin.png )

How insane was that decision to allow public traffic through that work site. And quite deep water in that video clip. Insane !!

In hindsight, definitely was insane.

At the time I drove through, it was quite surreal. Curiosity got the better of us, and all we could think of was checking out the inside of the tunnel. There was equipment and crap everywhere, and a lot of rather amused looking Burmese labourers down in the middle of the underpass.

The lady on the back of the motorbike in front of me was taking videos on her mobile phone, she thought the whole thing was hilarious

Question is why did they divert the traffic.? The state of the concrete roof looks quite rough.

For sure, the roof is very poor finish....still a lot of ''cosmetic'' work to be done on the job overall.

Shows you just how narrow it is also at only 3 lanes wide...w00t.gif

Question is why did they divert the traffic.? The state of the concrete roof looks quite rough.

For sure, the roof is very poor finish....still a lot of ''cosmetic'' work to be done on the job overall.

Shows you just how narrow it is also at only 3 lanes wide...w00t.gif

The 3 lanes is the most ridiculous part of the expensive, time consuming inconvenience of this project. At least the next one looks like 4 lanes but even then I don't think there is much if any future proof in these underpasses judging by the ever increasing traffic on the island.

Edited by Valentine
  • Like 1

The 3 lanes is the most ridiculous part of the expensive, time consuming inconvenience of this project. At least the next one looks like 4 lanes but even then I don't think there is much if any future proof in these underpasses judging by the ever increasing traffic on the island.

Maybe the plan is to use underpass for one way traffic. Then make an overpass to allow east-west traffic to flow :)

Maybe the plan is to use underpass for one way traffic. Then make an overpass to allow east-west traffic to flow smile.png

The plan has always been 2 lanes one way, 1 lane the other, & then change them around when required. One can only imagine the shambles.

• Like 1

It's been said many times before. The underpass southbound is just going to shunt the traffic problem to the next set of lights where the road narrows, where you turn left for the weekend market.

It has been stated there is a plan to widen that section of road which really should have been done a long time ago. Imagine how long it will take to secure all that land some of which I am sure is public land which has been encroached upon. It took several years just to get some extra land needed at the junction just past Promphan after the road was built & same with the tank debacle on the road to Rawai.

The plan has always been 2 lanes one way, 1 lane the other, & then change them around when required. One can only imagine the shambles.

That has been used in Bangkok for years. Works quite ok.

Then again, it would be nice to see one of these machines on the local roads.

http://youtu.be/dl0Q2bDnBUc

Last weekend I saw bikes being allowed through and exiting north of the walkway. No exit created, though. The bikes had to waddle through the mud. Strange to allow traffic through an unfinished project.

That will create happiness for Thai people, increase GDP and tourism arrivals will now jump 300% thanks to that underpass. w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

Very cool machine!

Yes, but never to be seen here in Phuket. We will have some poor soul on the back step of a yellow truck plunking cones down the dividing lane.

And how much extra on the budget for 4 lanes with a dividing crash barrier. I can foresee many head on crashes.

• Like 1

Wow, that video is amazing. That whole stretch has a rich history of dangerous work, like when they installed the pedestrian overpass connecting HomeWorks to Central without any regard for the potential for danger of falling objects crashing onto the cars below.

Totally correct that the whole thing will just shift the traffic south and give Phuket drivers the chance to sit in a subterranean traffic jam.

They will not stop until the whole island looks like Bangkok, minus any viable public transport.

Very cool machine!

Yes, but never to be seen here in Phuket. We will have some poor soul on the back step of a yellow truck plunking cones down the dividing lane.

And how much extra on the budget for 4 lanes with a dividing crash barrier. I can foresee many head on crashes.

I can foresee many head on crashes.

Yes quite true and as i have pointed out previously, when this does happen and all the traffic banks up as it does before rescue vehicles arrive the road will be gridlocked from both directions..

How do the rescue vehicles access the crash scene?

They basically can not!!bah.gif

Very cool machine!

I can foresee many head on crashes.

Yes quite true and as i have pointed out previously, when this does happen and all the traffic banks up as it does before rescue vehicles arrive the road will be gridlocked from both directions..

How do the rescue vehicles access the crash scene?

They basically can not!!bah.gif

This is a very important point as I do not see any access points from above which would be the logical thing to have. Surely there must be room for at least a set of steps.

Maybe the plan is to use underpass for one way traffic. Then make an overpass to allow east-west traffic to flow smile.png

Am I to believe that you will face oncoming traffic in this tunnel! And If an accident happens and blocks the tunnel, OK so I see this posted previously.

• Like 1

did it yesterday too, there where less water in the tunnel then on the 1.5 lane's torwards central, they where flooded over a stretch of about 50-60m. maybe because they pumped the water out of the tunnel to continue work????

Am I to believe that you will face oncoming traffic in this tunnel! And If an accident happens and blocks the tunnel, OK so I see this posted previously.

Not just inside the underpass...there are high walls north and south of that as well....its a major disaster in the making...very poor planning here!

Not just inside the underpass...there are high walls north and south of that as well....its a major disaster in the making...very poor planning here!

SOP for Thailand!

• Like 1