Just drove through the Central Festival underpass for the first time

SeaVisionBurma

Can you imagine them building that proposed underpass at chalong circle..?? if they had to close that huge area at Tesco down to virtually one lane each way how the hell are they going to build an underpass in chalong with that extremely limited, virtually one lane/five ways space? ..unless they close the circle completely and detour everything through chalong pier side road / stunt show road/ and all the back roads that lead to the rear of villa market.....and the circle with be closed for what?? about 3 years to finish it? I live in chalong and except when the police decide to 'assist' with traffic directions its not so bad except when you are coming north from rawai at times.

Perhaps some new roads that offer an alternative route would be better, like they have done on the new[ish] muang chaofa road that runs near Honda/shell station on way north to central that now comes out near makro so you can completely bypass the central and Tesco debacles.

Wait until they bring the light rail to the Chalong Circle terminus.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been said many times before. The underpass southbound is just going to shunt the traffic problem to the next set of lights where the road narrows, where you turn left for the weekend market.

agreed, it will help nothing until all those lights between central and kajonkiet area are fixed.

and what's with more lights by that new moo baan just north of kajonkiet? no one lives there but they have there own set of lights already! the guy in the city traffic department must be getting a nice taste from the traffic light manufactures.

Very good news for everybody, as reported today by PG, the tunnel is now officially open for 1 northbound lane, ahead of scheduleclap2.gif

I wish everybody a lot of courage using the underpass,

The part about it being 'officially open' is nonsense - this is a stopgap caused by the torrential rain for the past couple of days flooding the approach road heading north the the Central intersection.

If you drive through the underpass, you will see clearly that it is not an 'early opening' or 'ahead of schedule'

If you want to drive North through that intersection, the only choice is through the tunnel - the slip road/approach road is blocked.

If you want to turn left to Makro, you've either got to go past Central and then turn left down Bang Yai or go down the back way before you head up towards Central

Can't believe they have spun this into an 'early opening' piece, simply not the case

• Like 1

I wouldn't drive through the tunnel. Screws,nails and wire will be keeping tire shops busy.

Very good point.

Although no choice today and the other day during the heavy rain, all traffic northbound was being diverted into the tunnel.

Nothing to stop you using the slip road up to the junction and driving as normal through the lights junction. I have no plans to ever use the tunnel until it has been well proven flood free, and the point about all the nails, wire, and debris is most valid.

Actually yesterday and Saturday, at least for a time - access through the lights heading north was blocked. ALL northbound traffic was being diverted through the tunnel, you could not approach the lights from the south.

Nothing to stop you using the slip road up to the junction and driving as normal through the lights junction. I have no plans to ever use the tunnel until it has been well proven flood free, and the point about all the nails, wire, and debris is most valid.

Actually yesterday and Saturday, at least for a time - access through the lights heading north was blocked. ALL northbound traffic was being diverted through the tunnel, you could not approach the lights from the south.

What about folks wanting to go to Patong, as in exit left at Central ? Then right before Makro, and back onto bypass ??

I wouldn't drive through the tunnel. Screws,nails and wire will be keeping tire shops busy.

Very good point.

Although no choice today and the other day during the heavy rain, all traffic northbound was being diverted into the tunnel.

Today going north the only option was through the tunnel.

Today going north the only option was through the tunnel.

What about anyone wanting to go West to Makro/Kathu/Patong ?
They are expected to take the back road that runs behind wichit police station. Signs in Thai roadside explain this. English not so much.
  • Like 1

Just went and had another look to make sure I wasn't mistaken, and as others posted above - completely blocked for the several hundred metres up to the lights. Only option is down the back before you get to Central (sorry not familiar with the road name) or continue through past Big C and back to Makro, or head up to the Tesco intersection

And it looks like it will be blocked for a while, there's heavy construction gear on that part of the road. Not so much as a pushbike to see on that stretch!

Just went and had another look to make sure I wasn't mistaken, and as others posted above - completely blocked for the several hundred metres up to the lights. Only option is down the back before you get to Central (sorry not familiar with the road name) or continue through past Big C and back to Makro, or head up to the Tesco intersection

And it looks like it will be blocked for a while, there's heavy construction gear on that part of the road. Not so much as a pushbike to see on that stretch!

That's good to know. I use the turn left often. Guess I will have to use the Vichet/Wichet (whatever spelling) Police Station turn left.

• Like 1

Had to go through twice yesterday but not too much of a lineup. I hope they ban sidecars from using the underpass though. One got in front of the line which caused everyone behind to slow to a crawl. They are sometimes difficult to get past on the open road when a lot of traffic & then they sneak through to the front of the line at the next set of lights.

Had to go through twice yesterday but not too much of a lineup. I hope they ban sidecars from using the underpass though. One got in front of the line which caused everyone behind to slow to a crawl. They are sometimes difficult to get past on the open road when a lot of traffic & then they sneak through to the front of the line at the next set of lights.

Yes, they can be a big problem at times....The powers that be have said that motorbikes can not use the underpass and will have a dedicated lane above...whether or not this applies similarly to sidecars will be seen in time i guess...

Yes, they can be a big problem at times....The powers that be have said that motorbikes can not use the underpass and will have a dedicated lane above...whether or not this applies similarly to sidecars will be seen in time i guess...

They can say what they like. Nothing ever gets enforced. If the rider of a salang wants to use the tunnel he will do so without a second thought.

This high season Phuket's roads will be chocked full of buses carrying free visa chinese mass tourists. In time two of those buses will have a head on in this tunnel. Heaven help everyone when a fire breaks out and those not killed by flames will die of asphyxia.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

I haven't a clue what to believe regarding this underpass.

First it was supposed to open this October, then they said it would open in January or February this year to allow the rest of the project, which I assume to be the left and right turns and east/west to be completed. They then stated that the underpass would be open just after Songkran, Now they announce a partial opening "ahead of schedule".

It sound to me that they just announce what they want to when it suits, the project is woefully behind schedule, that the rains will make this worse. Tesco is already behind schedule as they've hit a hitch, I have previously announced that I will leave Southern Phuket before they start work on Chalong as I will not be able to tolerate the mess that is going to ensue there.

Anyway, I've been away from Phuket for seven weeks and will be returning tomorrow to see for myself.

Very good news for everybody, as reported today by PG, the tunnel is now officially open for 1 northbound lane, ahead of scheduleclap2.gif

The part about it being 'officially open' is nonsense - this is a stopgap caused by the torrential rain for the past couple of days flooding the approach road heading north the the Central intersection.

If you drive through the underpass, you will see clearly that it is not an 'early opening' or 'ahead of schedule'

If you want to drive North through that intersection, the only choice is through the tunnel - the slip road/approach road is blocked.

If you want to turn left to Makro, you've either got to go past Central and then turn left down Bang Yai or go down the back way before you head up towards Central

Can't believe they have spun this into an 'early opening' piece, simply not the case

Exactly what happened to me today heading north to Central from Chalong...

I missed my turn at the short cut Honda Road..sooo...only way i could go..stuck in trafic.

My first trip thru the tunnel...hahahahaha what a discrace third world all the way...

In a normal country the authorities would never open a tunnel in such disrepair due to public safety concerns,.

Not a cop to be seen no signs or direction explaining where to go nothing but a 3 lane in 2 lane (thai style) to a 1 lane bottle neck entering the tunnel, upon exit from tunnel most cars turned left to cut thru Big C...like i did to get to Central...

I'm sure the conditions will improve quickly...TIT

Edited by glassdude007

I missed my turn at the short cut Honda Road..sooo...only way i could go..stuck in trafic.

My first trip thru the tunnel...hahahahaha what a discrace third world all the way...

In a normal country the authorities would never open a tunnel in such disrepair due to public safety concerns,.

Not a cop to be seen no signs or direction explaining where to go nothing but a 3 lane in 2 lane (thai style) to a 1 lane bottle neck entering the tunnel, upon exit from tunnel most cars turned left to cut thru Big C...like i did to get to Central...

Best get used to it...its going to be a major headache for ever...IMO it will only add to traffic transition times not lessen them..maybe if you are going to/from airport about 2-4 AM you will get a good run..apart from that..ziltch!..Enjoy..smile.png

Built by the same wonderfully corrupt contractor that built Suvarnabhumi Airport...

Looks like the underpass 'experiment" is a success for northbound traffic as there is little or no hold up with a single lane so should be a breeze with 2 lanes operating. Southbound ought to be more interesting with the bottleneck just out of the underpass.

All north bound traffic ,

The road is closed off near to the underpass ,all traffic diverted down a small soi on the left that eventually brings you out opposite the central entrance heading towards Macro.

Get ready to wait in the traffic a while guys

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The road is closed off near to the underpass ,all traffic diverted down a small soi on the left that eventually brings you out opposite the central entrance heading towards Macro.

The road northbound leading up to the lights at the Central intersection has been closed for more than a week now, all northbound traffic has been going through the tunnel.

Or do you mean the tunnel is closed right now as well?

The road northbound leading up to the lights at the Central intersection has been closed for more than a week now, all northbound traffic has been going through the tunnel.

Or do you mean the tunnel is closed right now as well?

All closed down , theres a tiny soi there diverted traffic down , maybe 100 meters or so before the tunnel entrance

• Like 1

Pleasure , looked like it was gonna back up a long way pretty quick .

Id avoid it if you can chaps

Edited by N47HAN
  • Like 1