Best used long distance auto-scooter around 25k THB

bassinurface

Hello,

This is my first post, so please be sympathetic to my ignorance when it comes to all things two wheel related. My daily commute is 25km down the superhighway with speeds at a steady 80km/ph. At present I am renting a Honda Spacy, which is a good little scooter, but doesn't have great stability on these long commutes. I also use the scooter around town and for short trips to the 7/11 to pick up the evenings Chang supply. The Spacy is great for this as it has a hook by the step-through, and is nimble through traffic, and has decent underseat storage. Another big plus with the rented Spacy is it's nearly brandnew, I have put 5k on it since renting it, and never fear that it won't start in the morning, after hitting the snooze alarm too many times, and needing to make a quick getaway. So reliability is very important, i.e scooters renowned for being sh*t starters are a big NO NO. Basically i'm looking to save money longterm and buy a scooter, so something that will hold it's value is important too.

Basic requirements are:

RELIABLE

Stable and good on long journeys at a steady 80km/ph.

Fully-automatic.

Decent carrying capacity and convenience.

More poke than the Spacy.

Hold its value for resale.

Budget on the used market around 25k Baht.

My current research based on budget and requirements is pointing me towards the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance, as it seems to have a bit more boogie than the smaller scooters, longer wheelbase for stability on longer rides, reasonable carrying capacity and practicality, and comes in around budget on the used market. However I was thinking about something Honda for the age of scooter I will be looking at, as they seem to fair better over time than the Yamahas?

I'm in Chiang Mai, so any links or tipoffs about a potential suitor are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

i suggest a honda wave 125. they last forever and not harder to ride than a scooter. also at least 30 percent more fuel economy plus easy and cheap to service and everywhere!

for 25 k , you can get a honda click 125 if scooter is a must.

Edited by ll2

i suggest a honda wave 125. they last forever and not harder to ride than a scooter. also at least 30 percent more fuel economy plus easy and cheap to service and everywhere!

for 25 k , you can get a honda click 125 if scooter is a must.

The wave is also probably going to use less fuel than an auto with transmission loss and be a bit quicker, well suited to a 25km trip, autos are better around town in traffic, the clicks a bit small after riding one for a while, the larger Honda Air Blade would be the pick of autos at this price range for me.

Interestingly I did see some new dreams at a local honda dealer the other day, the older ones last even longer than a Wave

Thanks for the input so far guys. I understand about the extra efficiency, but my bike riding experience to date is very limited, so I was looking for an auto. Also the Spacy doesn't seem excessively thirsty for my type of useage. I can swap my rented Spacy for a rented Click 125i, so will give one of these a try before buying. Does anyone have opinions on the Airblade vs Click?

Does anyone have opinions on the Airblade vs Click?

The click is a lot smaller, feels twitchy and wobbly at speed to me, also hit a bump and knee knocks the key and it shuts down, not designed well for anyone around 6 foot, rather dangerous if you need the power when it dies.

the Air blade isnt a step through, it has the hump, but a more solid gig for doing distance and more stable I feel

click is fuel injected 125 cc and a modern bike. airblade is 110 cc and carbed i remember and it is not sold anymore.

click is better for sure.

As the price range is 25k a 125cc click is most likely out of that, so an older one with less cc would be the option.

The Air blade had FI since 2009 http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/2009_Honda_Air_Blade_i_fuel_injection and for the price the OP is looking at a much better bike for a 25km each way ride everyday

For OP's needs and money: +1 for honda wave, get the 125cc and with front disk brake and electric start and FI.

Didn't be so stubborn against the non auto transmission, there is no clutch lever to pull so it is very easy to ride.

This is the best ride to get for your 25k baht and the waves/dreams are so cheap to run and can be fixed very cheap anywhere in Thailand.

As late as yesterday I was quoted +5 k baht to get my alarm fixed on my 2012 pcx150. I told them no bloody way am I buying a whole new instrument cluster just because the alarm is not working and everything else is. We agreed that I will come back next week where it need a scheduled service anyway and they can have it the whole day but I warned them not to install a new ins. panel as I wont pay for it and get it fixed elsewhere. This it the the big shop on sukhumvit charring space with honda big wing.

I forgot to add that they did check the battery on the remote but that was okay.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

I commute from Chana to Hatyai on a daily basis, an 84-km round trip not counting side trips. I use a Yamaha Filano. Can do up to 50km per litre, going steadily at 80-90 kmph on the highway. Bit more pottering around town. Lots of space under the seat because the fuel tank is in front. Starts without a miss every morning. Got it with ZERO downpayment. Only 2150 bahts per month. Fully recommend it. Just get a Thai friend to get it for you. Give it to your Thai friend at the end. Consider the 2150 bahts per month as rental. Superb value for money.

I also want to be a used auto step through for 25k, but my needs are opposite to the OP. I like the helmet under seat feature, and it seems only the Click 125i and Spacy have this?

I noticed the Honda Spacy as a used bike only one year old seems to really drop in value, can be picked up for 22-27k with almost no miles on them. Is there anything wrong with this bike? I need to buy a step through that will be used very little, only for some local errands. I also notice the Suzuki Skydrive is in the same situation, but obviously a bigger engine, but also drops in value. I don't care about resale, but which one would you buy for this 25k price?

Edited by keemapoot

I noticed the Honda Spacy as a used bike only one year old seems to really drop in value, can be picked up for 22-27k with almost no miles on them. Is there anything wrong with this bike? I need to buy a step through that will be used very little, only for some local errands. I also notice the Suzuki Skydrive is in the same situation, but obviously a bigger engine, but also drops in value. I don't care about resale, but which one would you buy for this 25k price?

I am leaning towards honda as they are by far the most sold bike brand here but the suzuki is most likely very good too.

Buy the one you like best/fell most comfy on and have most storage capacity.

Honda only sells FI models for 2-3 years now how about the suzuki is it carbed or FI?

I am leaning towards honda as they are by far the most sold bike brand here but the suzuki is most likely very good too.

Buy the one you like best/fell most comfy on and have most storage capacity.

Honda only sells FI models for 2-3 years now how about the suzuki is it carbed or FI?

Yeah, the newer skydrives are FI too. I like the size of the newer clicks better, but really don't need to spend more than 25k, because it will be used so little. I really would like that helmet storage feature.

Only 2150 bahts per month. Fully recommend it. Just get a Thai friend to get it for you. Give it to your Thai friend at the end. Consider the 2150 bahts per month as rental. Superb value for money.

And a real bargain too....

Only 77400 Baht after three years for a bike which costs only ~45K cash....

But ok, I've seen many loan agreements, where ordinary Finos were 80K+ at the end of the day.whistling.gif

Only 2150 bahts per month. Fully recommend it. Just get a Thai friend to get it for you. Give it to your Thai friend at the end. Consider the 2150 bahts per month as rental. Superb value for money.

But ok, I've seen many loan agreements, where ordinary Finos were 80K+ at the end of the day.whistling.gif

Where does it say he got it over three years?

• Like 1

I don't think 1 bike fits the OP criteria.

RELIABLE = any Japanese bike

Stable and good on long journeys at a steady 80km/ph. = Nouvo Elegance since it is a longer bike with 2 rear shocks, but yes the carb is less convenient than a fuel injected bike.

Decent carrying capacity and convenience. Nouvo Elegance fit my full face helmets

More poke than the Spacy. Wave/chain drives or bigger automatic

Hold its value for resale. =Honda.

Frankly if I was risking my life at high speed riding 25km every day, I'd spend a lot more than 25K on a bike.

Make sure you get a bike with tubeless wheels (no spoked rims like bicycles).

Forget the Yamaha if you don't want starting problems, also not many aftermarket parts which means your stuck with expensive OE parts, the Honda parts are more reasonable for a used bike

I don' doubt you had problems with your Nuovo but don't generalize.

We are using the Nuovo for 3,5 years. There was only one problem with starting. But after 3 years it may be necessary to replace the battery.

I cannot complain of the stability.

It's easy to keep a speed of 80kmh. But on the GPS this means only a little bit more than 70kmh.

I was not able as a single rider to maintain more than 105kmh (speedometer).

I you keep the speed in the high region, you consume gasoline near to 3l/100km, may be caused by E10 with its lower energy.

Finally: the disk-brake is OK for 1 person. With 2 person, about 135kg, I can only hope at "high speed" there is a lot of space for braking.

Forget the Yamaha if you don't want starting problems, also not many aftermarket parts which means your stuck with expensive OE parts, the Honda parts are more reasonable for a used bike

Plenty of aftermarket parts for the nuovo and no more starting issues then any other Japanese brand sold here.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input yankee99. Do you have long term experience with one of these bikes? I'm currently renting a Click 125i (first day today). It seems to have a bit more torque than the Spacy at low revs, but I have a problem with my knees pressing against the front when my tiny GF is on the back. Didn't have this issue on the Spacy. If the Nouvo Elegance is reliable then they seem good value on the used market. Do you know if they generally last well?

• Like 1

Here's a tip go change your front tire for a 90/90 and then decide if you need to change scooters. You will have no problem with stability at 80 km or even 100 with the wider tire. If not get an airblade and put the 90/90 on the front and it will be a better bike than the pcx125 and more durable for around 18 or 20k for a good used one.

Edited by losworld

That depends on how you look at it. If you are thinking of owning the vehicle, then, of course, you get the best deal by paying cash for it. That's assuming you have figured out how, as a non-citizen, you can legally own the vehicle. Since I am a non-citizen and I haven't figured out how to legally own the vehicle, I look at it as if I am just renting it (which, for all practical purposes, is exactly what it works out to be) and at 2150 bahts per month for a brand-new vehicle, it's superb value for money. No?

That depends on how you look at it. If you are thinking of owning the vehicle, then, of course, you get the best deal by paying cash for it. That's assuming you have figured out how, as a non-citizen, you can legally own the vehicle. Since I am a non-citizen and I haven't figured out how to legally own the vehicle, I look at it as if I am just renting it (which, for all practical purposes, is exactly what it works out to be) and at 2150 bahts per month for a brand-new vehicle, it's superb value for money. No?

As long as you have a visa. You can legally own a vehicle. I own two!

Since Suzuki's tend to lose value in the second hand market, when compared to Honda, you should be able to pick up a good condition Hayate for 25 k. It will take a full faced helment under the seat. Its dimensions are similar to Yamaha Nuovo Elegance. It is fuel injected and quite stable at speed.

• Like 1

Yes, I think I bought my Nouvo on a tourist visa 5 years ago.

I second buying a Suzuki, it has the worst depreciation of the 4 Japanese brands but will feel just as good to ride as any of the more sought after brands.

Plus no one would ever think to steal a Suzuki because they can't sell the parts.

• Like 1