Is life better in the land of smiles

sesdaman

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in a similar boat as the op.

Living in Australia, 39yo, Thai wife, 1 small daughter.

We often ponder packing up and moving to Thailand.

The main issue would be income living there. I would still need to earn enough to be able to save for retirement. No idea how that would go in Thailand. Would mean re starting a whole new type of career, from the ground up.

Visa issues...well that's maybe ok with a Thai wife, but who knows in the future. Here in Aus, Thai wife has no real visa issues.

Schooling for daughter...sounds a little worrying from all I have read on here.

Safety of daughter. Maybe I'm over reacting on that one, but I know she's safer here in Aus, and I trust Aussie doctors more for that matter.

Then let's not forget slimey things like Thai corruption, and extortion from locals trying to make a quick baht even though their bike hit yours.

All in all, as much as it sounds great moving to Thailand, think staying put here, schooling the kid here, earning here, saving here etc etc etc here is probably for the best. Then one day, Thailand here we come!

Maybe some longer Thai holidays are what's needed!

hi krisp.

there not all looking to scam you,

i was once parked outside the feed store getting pig feed, a motorbike came and parked right behind me, i never saw this, so got in my truck reversed and knocked the bike over, i got out and said sorry, how much do i owe, to be told ok nothing broke, so there not all bad, but saying that wangnamyen is a small place no tourists as such,,

jake

• Like 1

Great variation of replies, mostly positive, which is good.

My 4 years experience, is nothing but Positive, I have lived in a few countries, and Thailand, is the best for me, Quality of life. Is good, when I think back on Europe, yes it's beautiful but so so expensive, where as here in Thailand I never look at prices, not even in five star resorts and Hotels.

Fortunately I don't work, and can live of my European assets, comfortably..

I find Thai people lovely rarely have I encountered aggression or violence, but my life is simple and social life tends to be restaurants or friends houses...

My only negativity, is Driving, it's dangerous any time of day and any part of Thailand....,

But apart from that, I am living the dream.......

Happy as a bunny...

• Like 2

For we working in the oil offshore industry the choice were not hard.

I am still here, have a almost 5 year old son now. I think the schools are good enough here, private ones obviously.

Certainly working in the offshore fifo industries the choice would be much much easier.

In your case, I would be doing the same.

• Like 2

My wife son and I lived in the UK for many years,then we came here ,we love it but and it's a big but ,you need money ,and a loving wife who does not go off with her mates gossiping and gambling and a child who wants to learn and go to a good school,anyway that was made us happy everyone is different, as for the moaners ,they would find something to moan about if they lived in paradise

Some people are only happy when complaining.

Anyhow, I need to chase of some soi dogs in this damned heat now so must rush... great fun!

• Like 1

"It's great if you come from a country that's wet and cold.

It's great if you want a younger woman, or just want to go whoring."

After someone writes this you can disregard everything else they say. This is the only problem that I see living here is Sexpats like this poster.

What a stupid comment. A childs education should be paramount in any decision for a family to up sticks and move to another country. The education system here is dreadful , including the private schools. The OP and his family should stay where they are until the children are educated. I guess you came for the temples and the thought of sex with a much younger lady never crossed your mind ???

• Like 1

Like most ex-pats, I chose to move here. I had been visiting and working in Thailand on and off for over 30 years and had worked out that it is all 'smoke and mirrors'. I am therefore not surprised at what Thais do and therefore my frustrations are limited. I know I cannot vote, sit on the Council or in fact have any genuine input into the country except through my expenditure.

There are times, like many have stated, that I get bored or fed-up with the home (village) situation so I do what is naturaL and take myself (and sometimes my wife) out of the family/village melting pot for a short vacation; either in Thailand or overseas. Refresh my energy!

I live in a totally Thai Moo Ban in Isan on a 12 rai farm, so that keeps my wife and I busy - not rich. It allows me to have something to do each and every day, working either with my wife or on my own. There is the Internet and phone if I want to contact friends and family and the TV for sports.

I think that if you don't take yourself too seriously, have a hobby, project, employment or a good social life, Thais and expats, one can be happy. Just don't expect everything to work the same or at times as well as you are used to, go with the flow and life can be really enjoyable.

• Like 1

Very difficult to be objective because it is such a personal thing. There are obvious differences between the UK and Thailand such as the climate is hotter in Thailand, there's more sunshine and 12 hour days all year round. So the weather is better for sure if thats what you want. Beyond that I think it is much harder to compare.

I think that most people judge whether it is better here based upon how much further their money goes, you can see that in some responses you have already. Sure, if you are retired with a fixed income of say 1500 quid a month your money goes further and you can buy more stuff etc,, (There a lot of UK retired people on state pension out here.)

If you are still working however thats a very different scenario. You would need to maintain your salary in the UK when arriving here to significantly see a lifestyle change. I think that it is common now to have a combined household income of about 50k in the UK. So, this equates to about 200,000 baht a month.. In the UK on this income you are doing alright and getting by ok, in Thailand your household income would be considered to be high, well into "middle class" bracket, maybe further. So, in this example you will see a significant change in your financial freedom for sure. But if you cannot hold a similar salary and lets say it was half of your UK income then you are probably gaining very little from moving to Thailand in regards to lifestyle.

All of the other things people moan about are all to do with culture and the fact that Thailand is still a developing country, you will certainly find frustration in things the same as anyone else. (one of my moans is the condition of the roads and the total disregard for safety which is why Thailand has one of the worst fatality records int he world).

When all said and done I think if you ask people the question,, "if Thailand was a cold country and it was the same cost to live here as the UK would you still be here?" I am willing to bet the answer would be no, the UK is much better.

So, I think it all boils down to the sunshine and whether you have plenty of cash (by local standards).

• Like 1

I like it well enough here after several years. In the end, it is life, with the good times and the bad times. There are definitely annoyances and problems here like there are anywhere, so I don't think I would call it "living the dream." That said, I could live back in my home country (the US...problems and all), but I still find it fun and interesting to be here.

Don't base your view on the content on Thai Visa. When people post here, it tends to be some problem they have had. It is sort of like the news--they never post "Everything went well today and I was pleasantly surprised at a few moments," even though those days happen as well.

• Like 2

AnotherOneAmerican, on 16 Aug 2014 - 18:50, said:

It's great if you come from a country that's wet and cold.

It's great if you want a younger woman, or just want to go whoring.

It would be a disaster if you came here with a wife and children.

Your children would get a bad (yet expensive) education, no chance of a decent university, and have zero chance of making money in their future.

You owe it to your son to live in the UK until he has started university.

Then you can do what you like, and he will be free to choose his own future, knowing you gave him the best start in life you could.

So true, so many move here and think of "their" life, but do not take into consideration the life that they expect their wife and/or families will live, especially if they were to meet their maker.... where does that leave their family.

As a brit, living in England, with a Thai wife and son, we do think about living in Thailand quite a bit. But is life that great for you guys out there? I get mixed messages when I read some of the comments on here. Some of you are really content and happy, whilst others seem to be moaning about just about everything! Is this just the normal mix of views or not? I do wonder why some of you stay there, as theres moans about the government, soi dogs, the price of a meal, the thai people, the weather, taxi's, road accidents, it goes on and on. Some of you just don't seem happy unless you're having a moan! I've been a regular to Thailand for 15 years, and I know there's some real problems over there, but guys, youre living the dream, away from your home country that you weren't happy with. England has issues, everywhere has issues, but there must be good reasons why you stay, and not just the bars and girls!! So tell me, How many of you regret the decision to move out there, and how many of you love it! I'll be interested in adding up the positive replys against the negative ones.

Cheers guys

Where is the greenest grass? Like it or loathe it. Personal choice.

Some people share their negative Thai experiences...in hopes that others will be on alert...and not have to suffer the same pain...

That does not make them moaners or malcontents...they are just passing on the info..so that other may benefit from their unpleasant encounters...

Edited by ggt

My wife son and I lived in the UK for many years,then we came here ,we love it but and it's a big but ,you need money ,and a loving wife who does not go off with her mates gossiping and gambling and a child who wants to learn and go to a good school,anyway that was made us happy everyone is different, as for the moaners ,they would find something to moan about if they lived in paradise

I haven't much money, no wife, no child and I'm happy here.

You just need something to do. Me?, drawing, and photography.

• Like 2

Your children would get a bad (yet expensive) education, no chance of a decent university, and have zero chance of making money in their future.

Then you can do what you like, and he will be free to choose his own future, knowing you gave him the best start in life you could.

I somewhat disagree with that. You would have him raise a Thai kid who doesn't speak Thai and knows nothing about Thai culture.

I wouldn't do that to my kid. Not everything is about money and jobs .I'm sure many Thai kids do well in the west after doing some schooling here.

I've lived in many places across Asia and Europe incl London. On balance quality of life is still one of the best here in Thailand. Every place has its pros and cons but if I had to make a ranking Thailand would still come out on top.

• Like 1

Best thing I ever did was to come to Thailand!

The second best thing I ever did was come to Thailand. It opened up a new world for me.

The best thing I ever did was to move on when it got boring. Never looked back.

I somewhat disagree with that. You would have him raise a Thai kid who doesn't speak Thai and knows nothing about Thai culture.

I wouldn't do that to my kid. Not everything is about money and jobs .I'm sure many Thai kids do well in the west after doing some schooling here.

Why the expensive education jibe? Paid for my sons uni education and very reasonable. Suppose you think it was c**p uni?

For we working in the oil offshore industry the choice were not hard.

I am still here, have a almost 5 year old son now. I think the schools are good enough here, private ones obviously.

Certainly working in the offshore fifo industries the choice would be much much easier.

In your case, I would be doing the same.

Does FIFO mean what I think it does? Started a job once and big boss said that was how it worked.

I have a good time here -- plenty to keep me busy. One reason for that is -- since I read a lot on ThaiVisa -- that I don't hang out with any farangs 'cause even the one's that would be OK always seem to post about farangs that they know that are not OK.

Social life is non-English-speaking Thai females.

• Like 1

Why the expensive education jibe? Paid for my sons uni education and very reasonable. Suppose you think it was c**p uni?

I'm not sure you understood what I was saying. AOA said don't come here at all until the kid is in Uni. I was just saying you could come for a few years when he was younger and he'd learn Thai and Thai culture. If you wait until he's uni age he'll miss that.

I think it's an arguable fine balance between here and there for education.

I've met several kids of mixed country parents who couldn't speak one of the languages at all and it's a shame.

I have no clue how you misconstrued my statement as a slag against sending your children to an expensive university.

I said nothing of the sort.

I'm not sure you understood what I was saying. AOA said don't come here at all until the kid is in Uni. I was just saying you could come for a few years when he was younger and he'd learn Thai and Thai culture. If you wait until he's uni age he'll miss that.

I think it's an arguable fine balance between here and there for education.

I've met several kids of mixed country parents who couldn't speak one of the languages at all and it's a shame.

I have no clue how you misconstrued my statement as a slag against sending your children to an expensive university.

I said nothing of the sort.

Point taken. Ta.

• Like 1

Anywhere in the world is what you make it. Lived and worked in "dodgy" places, some loved by others some hated. Personally I was a bit indifferent. Knew when holiday time was and looked foreward to it. Miss things? Yes, weekends could be fantastic. Go back? Yes if I had to. Any country exept your own is personal choice, take it as you find it or choose another.