Beware ,police now fining you for speeding on motorway

i claudius

In the last few days a friend on his way from Pattaya to Bangkok was fined for speeding ,then yesterday got a message from our son ,stopped for doing 127 in 120 zone ,fine 500 baht ,beware they are clamping down.sad.png

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also noticed CM to BKK & back my GPS showed cameras along the way - I spotted a few but don't know how advanced they are about ticketing/punishing via other means......but they had to be live to be picked up on the GPS.....

This has been a nationwide clean up of the police by the Junta, and migration to cameras for speeders as opposed to the old methods. I travel around the provinces a great deal, and the cop stops are still in the usual places, though less frequent, and from what I hear from everyone is that you won't be able to bribe anyone too easily. Also, I've noticed new cameras, and I play a game of looking for them. (Usually, there will be a wire strung over the roadway to a median or a new opposing lane rack with a camera on it. )I've heard stories of some people trying to be clever with the folded 100-200 notes under the drivers license which they had to the cops, and they hand the money back.

Damn...getting to be just like the places we left....

However, never heard of anyone getting a ticket for less than 10 over the speed limit.

Edited by keemapoot
  • Like 1

Also noticed CM to BKK & back my GPS showed cameras along the way - I spotted a few but don't know how advanced they are about ticketing/punishing via other means......but they had to be live to be picked up on the GPS.....

A GPS only shows cameras that are programmed on the map. Nothing to do with live or not live.

The Esri map includes camera locations that have been reported, but it doesn't mean there is a camera at that time you pass.

• Like 1

"Now fining" tongue.png

I must be ahead of time.

More than once been stopped and fined.

Once on highway #2 from Khon Kaen.

About the same speed as in your case.

400 Baht with receipt payable on site.

They assured me "we have foto/camera".

Even here on highway #12 near the Amphoe town they do measurements with laser based devices.

Nothing really new. Just a question of intensity/frequency.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A GPS only shows cameras that are programmed on the map. Nothing to do with live or not live.

The Esri map includes camera locations that have been reported, but it doesn't mean there is a camera at that time you pass.

You could be 100% correct - odd that when the alarm sounds it's always at different distances....never makes a peep when there's a guy with radar in the middle of the road - same spectrum I would guess <> anyway - they are out there.....

It's hard not to speed on some roads , take Highway 7 , you pay money to use it so you can travel faster 120kmh , now it has been reduced to 90kmh.

The road has 4 lanes , is smooth and pretty straight , it is hard not to speed on it.

They have been doing this for a while now, there is a few fixed camera's.

This......... Nothing new, they were doing it even before I left just about 2 years ago.

Like someone else posted though glad they're slowing down those idiots, now I wish they'd void licenses of those who probably shouldn't be driving anyway because they don't have the confidence to drive 1 kph over the speed limit safely and instead make it unsafe for those who can, like driving slowly in the passing lane, and not using turn signals to signal lane changes or never using their rear view mirror even once as if they're the only driver on the road........... Oh wait a minute! Forgot where I was, that's what it's like driving here in the west.. facepalm.gifbah.gif

A number of cameras are being put up near overpass bridges. There is one on Changwattana where where the express way comes down to it. Everyone comes down the expressway but want to go up the bridge. If you cross the solid line (too close to the bridge) - 500 baht. I'm not sure that camera (there are three together) are operational, but my wife got caught doing that at the Kae Rai intersection - took a month to get the ticket in the mail. The police much be raking it in, as every time I go past these camera, many cars are breaking the law. Just a heads up:)

No speed guns on Phuket. No anything. Drive as crazy as you want, all the time. No reason no to.

Yes, there are some, 90k/h zone on Bypassroad e.g., but they only take a photo if you driver faster than 120 km. I thought this was standard procedure all over Thailand, so the Op's comment he was fined in a 120 km zone for driving just over the limit surprises me.

This has been a nationwide clean up of the police by the Junta, and migration to cameras for speeders as opposed to the old methods. I travel around the provinces a great deal, and the cop stops are still in the usual places, though less frequent, and from what I hear from everyone is that you won't be able to bribe anyone too easily. Also, I've noticed new cameras, and I play a game of looking for them. (Usually, there will be a wire strung over the roadway to a median or a new opposing lane rack with a camera on it. )I've heard stories of some people trying to be clever with the folded 100-200 notes under the drivers license which they had to the cops, and they hand the money back.

Damn...getting to be just like the places we left....

However, never heard of anyone getting a ticket for less than 10 over the speed limit.

At the place I left there were still quite a few spots where you could legally drive as fast as you please, so whenever I feel the need for speed a trip home works well.

Flooring it in Thailand is not very joyful anyway and I rarely find myself driving or wanting to drive faster than allowed. It´s just no fun and the other drivers usually cause dangerous situations all the time so I don´t want to add more risk by speed. I think it´s good if they try to crackdown on speeding, it will make the roads safer and raise the awareness that everything has consequences. And please dear BIB, don´t forget your red light runner crackdown and push it forward.

I have noticed on Don Mueang Expressway and the Outer ring road/Kanchanaphisek Road between Bang Pa In and Bang Na, that at some locations they have installed the radar dishes for speed cameras on the overhead gantries but there are no cameras. At one location, just after the Lamlukka access road, they have recently removed the cameras but left the radar dishes in place.

They've been fining people on the number 7 for years.

Take the Bang Na Trat, they will fine you if you speed on the Bangkok side of the Banga Na toll gate, otherwise it's a free run. It's a shorter distance and the road is better (except for the Ch bypass). You can do Bang Na - North Pattaya in under an hour.

Received a speeding citation on Hwy 7 in the mail. 500 baht. Showed picture of my car and license plate.

Scam at the Bang Na-Chonburi Skyway (first toll booth) continues. Driver's licenses are held until extortion is paid. Friend paid 2000 baht. Another 400. Fining both Thai and farang. Well organized with tables setup for processing.