retirement extension.

I have done a retirement extension for 5 years.

My question is: i have been asked for proof of Baht 65,000 for 3 months before i apply.

I know of 4 people from the same country that do not EVEN HAVE a Thai Bank Account.

They get a statuary declaration from their Embassy, AS I ALSO DO.

WHY? do i have to show the amount and they do not.

Thanks in Advance.

Different immigration office or an officer asking for something that is not really required.

Other proof should be accepted besides a bank account should be accepted.

There is no rule that says you need to show the full amount for 3 months.

At least in Bangkok, it's Immigration's normal practice to simply accept the Consulate-issued income declaration letters, which simply state a monthly income amount. I don't believe any of those letters deal with multi month periods of time.

However, Immigration is always free to request/demand backup documentation for whatever monthly income amount is being stated on the Consulate-issued income statement.

Though the three-month period is more associated with the required time that a Thai bank deposit must be in place ahead of a retirement extension renewal, for those who instead satisfy Immigration's financial requirement via the 800,000 baht Thai bank deposit method.

Different immigration office or an officer asking for something that is not really required.

Then why do they ask me.

And what would happen if i did not show my pass book with the 65,000 Baht for 3 months before i apply.

At least in Bangkok, it's Immigration's normal practice to simply accept the Consulate-issued income declaration letters, which simply state a monthly income amount. I don't believe any of those letters deal with multi month periods of time.

However, Immigration is always free to request/demand backup documentation for whatever monthly income amount is being stated on the Consulate-issued income statement.

Though the three-month period is more associated with the required time that a Thai bank deposit must be in place ahead of a retirement extension renewal, for those who instead satisfy Immigration's financial requirement via the 800,000 baht Thai bank deposit method.

So it seems that each officer can do what they like.

Why not one rule for ALL.

Then why do they ask me.

And what would happen if i did not show my pass book with the 65,000 Baht for 3 months before i apply.

Can you clarify, just what exactly Immigration was asking you for:

--Did they want to see documentation that you had 65,000 baht in monthly income for the three months prior to your application?

--Or were they asking for proof that you have 65,000 a month coming into a Thai bank account for the prior 3 months?

For the 65,000 baht in monthly income method, there's no requirement that income has to be deposited into any Thai bank. You just have to prove than you are earning the income, usually from outside Thailand -- and not where you are depositing it.

I have been getting retirement extensions at CW for many years now. To do this I take proof of income to UK embassy who then provide me with a letter for immigration. To show that my income exceeds the 65k I have to provide evidence from two sources - my UK company pension payslip paid into SCB here in BKK and accounts of rental business in UK paid into First Direct in UK.
To be on the safe side I always take these proofs to immigration along with the letter, so far it has always been plane sailing at CW, takes aprox 20 minutes to get the extension.

Edited by brian1314

Then why do they ask me.

--Did they want to see documentation that you had 65,000 baht in monthly income for the three months prior to your application?

--Or were they asking for proof that you have 65,000 a month coming into a Thai bank account for the prior 3 months?

For the 65,000 baht in monthly income method, there's no requirement that income has to be deposited into any Thai bank. You just have to prove than you are earning the income, usually from outside Thailand -- and not where you are depositing it.

65,000 thai baht in a thai bank account for 3 months.

Then why do they ask me.

65,000 thai baht in a thai bank account for 3 months.

I have to do mine in december.

maybe this time i will have the 65,000 in my account and photo copy.

BUT i will not show them until they ask.

just to see what happens this year.

Immigration has a right to ask for additional documentation to support your application. Happens for all cases not just retirement. The fact that most people is not asked does not mean that they can't start the day their boss tell them to be more strict, actually it 's quite common.

Asking to see a bank book with consecutive transfers may be inconvenient, but does not seem extraordinary.

I did my retirement extension renewal yesterday at CW-BKK Immigration via the 65,000 baht in monthly income method.

As has been the case in every time I've ever gone that route, the Immigration staff accepted by U.S. Consulate income letter without asking for any additional documentation.

However, just in case, I always bring along home country bank / brokerage / pension statements showing the monthly income amounts I'm claiming. Never yet had to use them.

There's nothing in the Immigration rules anywhere that requires one to deposit their 65K into any Thai bank account, or even that you're spending 65K per month.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I have been getting retirement extensions at CW for many years now. To do this I take proof of income to UK embassy who then provide me with a letter for immigration. To show that my income exceeds the 65k I have to provide evidence from two sources - my UK company pension payslip paid into SCB here in BKK and accounts of rental business in UK paid into First Direct in UK.

To be on the safe side I always take these proofs to immigration along with the letter, so far it has always been plane sailing at CW, takes aprox 20 minutes to get the extension.

Just to be clear, from your post here, it sounds like you're saying that it is the UK Embassy in BKK that's requiring you to show the pension and rental income documentation/evidence, in order from them to issue their consulate letter.

You don't seem to be saying that Thai Immigration is asking you to provide those original source documents. Immigration just wants to see your Consulate income letter.

Immigration has a right to ask for additional documentation to support your application. Happens for all cases not just retirement. The fact that most people is not asked does not mean that they can't start the day their boss tell them to be more strict, actually it 's quite common.

Asking to see a bank book with consecutive transfers may be inconvenient, but does not seem extraordinary.

Asking to show backup evidence or documentation of something that has long been a clear requirement is one thing...and a smaller thing.

But potentially asking people to show proof of having made certain kinds of financial transactions that they've never been asked to make/do before in all their prior renewals -- without any prior notice of a policy change -- is pretty poor performance, if that's in fact what happened.

There's no Thai Immigration rule, as part of having the required 65,000 baht in monthly income, that requires anyone to deposit those funds in any Thai bank or even to spent them at any particular level. You're just required to show you have the income being earned. That's all. Nothing in the rule in any way says that income has to be moved from one's home country where it might be earned into Thailand.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

There is a vague set rule ,,,,But in Thailand each Immigration officer can ask for extra info because this is Thailand,,,, :))

Asking to show backup evidence or documentation of something that has long been a clear requirement is one thing...and a smaller thing.

But potentially asking people to show proof of having made certain kinds of financial transactions that they've never been asked to make/do before in all their prior renewals -- without any prior notice of a policy change -- is pretty poor performance, if that's in fact what happened.

There's no Thai Immigration rule, as part of having the required 65,000 baht in monthly income, that requires anyone to deposit those funds in any Thai bank or even to spent them at any particular level. You're just required to show you have the income being earned. That's all. Nothing in the rule in any way says that income has to be moved from one's home country where it might be earned into Thailand.

Well that is what they ask me to do.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

Just to be clear, from your post here, it sounds like you're saying that it is the UK Embassy in BKK that's requiring you to show the pension and rental income documentation/evidence, in order from them to issue their consulate letter.

You don't seem to be saying that Thai Immigration is asking you to provide those original source documents. Immigration just wants to see your Consulate income letter.

NO it is the Thai Immigration that is asking.

I am from Australia and go to my embassy to get the Statuary Declaration.

BUT Immigration want me to show the money in my Thai bank account.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

You're talking about two different sets of documents here:

1. is your UK pension and rental income documentation.

2. is your Thai bank account documentation.

In trying to decipher your comments, it sounds like your Consulate is asking for the pension and income documents in order to issue the Consulate income letter.

And now in the wake of that, Thai Immigration is asking you to show bank document proof that those funds have been/are being deposited into your Thai bank account.

It's normal for some consulates to have their own policy for providing documentation in order to issue income letters.\

It's NOT normal, or required, for Thai Immigration to require proof of the deposit of monthly income into a Thai bank account.

You're talking about two different sets of documents here:

1. is your UK pension and rental income documentation.

2. is your Thai bank account documentation.

In trying to decipher your comments, it sounds like your Consulate is asking for the pension and income documents in order to issue the Consulate income letter.

And now in the wake of that, Thai Immigration is asking you to show bank document proof that those funds have been/are being deposited into your Thai bank account.

It's normal for some consulates to have their own policy for providing documentation in order to issue income letters.\

It's NOT normal, or required, for Thai Immigration to require proof of the deposit of monthly income into a Thai bank account.

No you DO NOT understand what i am saying.

I am from Australia NOT the UK.

I have NO PROBLEM getting the letter from my Embassy in Bangkok.

IT IS THE THAI IMMIGRATION THAT WANT TO SEE PROOF OF 65,000 Baht in my bank account.

NOTHING to do with rental income.

I can not explain it more simpler than this.

Sorry Bridge...I got your question mixed up with the post by Brian here below...which got put together with one of your posts above.

But the answer remains the same: there is no basis for Immigration asking you to provide what you're saying they're asking for.

Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry Bridge...I got your question mixed up with the post by Brian here below...which got put together with one of your posts above.

But the answer remains the same: there is no basis for Immigration asking you to provide what you're saying they're asking for.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hi Tallguyjohn.

That's ok no problem at all.

Confused me a little that's all.

Yes i don't know why they ask for the bank book details.

I seem to be the only one they ask.

Just afraid if i do not show it, they might refuse my extension, then what would i do then?

Ha ha this is Thailand is it not, offices vary and officers within an office can vary. At my last 90 day extension the officer asked for three passport pages copied, never been asked for one before, but you have to grin and bear it however unnecessary, up to them i'm afraid.