3BB internet not working correctly

seajae

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same problem here on Phuket, mostly with pages from Europe (Germany, UK, France, Italy) since 48 hrs. yesterday the support from 3BB called me back... asked for example pages... never heard again from them...

Guess its a proxy or DNS problem... lets be patient ... they will fnd the right switch sooner or later... :-)

No, still there. Can't be sure what is causing it but it appears to be on IP ranges which would make me think that it is an addressing issue with the proxy (as mentioned earlier). I will be calling in the morning if this problem is still there. For now....VPN!

Still buggy with 3BB.

3BB uses a caching proxy for most sites. From the way this bug is behaving it appears to me there is a problem with their caching proxy. That would explain why the problem goes away with the use of a socks proxy or VPN.

It's not a DNS problem as all sites resolve quickly with 3BB DNS servers.

ok guys, thanks for all the replies, this is why I think TV is a great site. I did try turning off the modem and turning it back on, I have tried using 3 different computers in the house(one I just built) and all suffer the same. I can still access the website(forth hosting) through my galaxy note 3 using my Dtac service but it is too small for me to read or use. Have thought about changing suppliers but 3bb has always proven to be pretty good with their call out technicians/in store staff, just their phone service that is pretty bad. I am on the 10 mb plan(unlimited) and based in Surat Thani, I will try the vpn now to see how it goes, just want to be able to access my email and websites but there are several sites that no longer are available, they just time out. Does anyone think there is a better carrier than 3bb here or not, as I said I think their service is great but faults like this arent, especially when their only answer is "everyone having problem"

This one looks like it is going to take some time to work out. Mainly because 3BB's telephone support lacks any real knowledge but doesn't want to admit it. Sometimes you can prod them enough for an engineer to call you back and they will understand but this is NOT TRUE's support who escalate quickly and efficiently. Conversely 3BB send awesome technicians to your home who will move heaven and earth to sort out your problems (if they are local) whereas TRUE send somebody who will blame everything else whilst staring at a modem that is on fire.

Right, rant over.

USEFUL INFORMATION HERE

As stated by numerous people above you can circumvent this issue with a VPN. If you don't have a VPN and don't commonly need one it might seem a touch hard to set one up and subscribe just for this. My tip for today is the easy to use http://www.tunnelbear.com/

The offer 500Mb for free each month. This isn't much but if you need something vital and can't get through due to this present issue then this is an easy (and free) way round. You can even get an extra 1Gb by just tweeting using a button in the app. It isn't going to get any easier than that for a temporary workaround whilst 3BB flick random switches in the hope of finding the right one. Not sure about the value for money for purchasing with Tunnelbear as for a little more elsewhere you can get a VPN that will sit on your router allowing you to use it across your home network for one cost.

Disclaimer: No, I don't work for Tunnelbear or ANY other VPN.

unboxed the bear and its brushing its fur, thanks mate

Still buggy with 3BB.

3BB uses a caching proxy for most sites. From the way this bug is behaving it appears to me there is a problem with their caching proxy. That would explain why the problem goes away with the use of a socks proxy or VPN.

It's not a DNS problem as all sites resolve quickly with 3BB DNS servers.

It's a routing problem. DNS resolves fine but tracerts just die somewhere outside Thailand on the way to Europe.

I don't know if it's related, but for the first time in years I got a html nag page when my wife forgot to pay the bill a couple of days ago. Never seen that before. A software update gone wrong would fit the bill. Although last time I had problems it was the NCPO consolidating the proxies so big brother could take a looksee.

Anyway, should be temporary. Still having problems when not using a VPN.

ok guys, thanks for all the replies, this is why I think TV is a great site. I did try turning off the modem and turning it back on, I have tried using 3 different computers in the house(one I just built) and all suffer the same. I can still access the website(forth hosting) through my galaxy note 3 using my Dtac service but it is too small for me to read or use. Have thought about changing suppliers but 3bb has always proven to be pretty good with their call out technicians/in store staff, just their phone service that is pretty bad. I am on the 10 mb plan(unlimited) and based in Surat Thani, I will try the vpn now to see how it goes, just want to be able to access my email and websites but there are several sites that no longer are available, they just time out. Does anyone think there is a better carrier than 3bb here or not, as I said I think their service is great but faults like this arent, especially when their only answer is "everyone having problem"

I think it depends on area you are in, to find what's better or not... I speak to people using TOT and there is nothing but grief with service..... True will throttle you... waste of time and money for the dongle, even on what they call their unlimited plan.... bah.gif

As stated I use 3BB (900 baht plan) and do not seem to be having the problems you and others are experiencing ... Using Firefox and HOLA to watch overseas TV..... without a lot of difficulty... thumbsup.gif

I have a friend here on Samui who uses CAT with a fiber optic line and gets great speeds.... but being in a fairly remote area, it cost him 30,000 baht +-, to put the line in.....his monthly charge if I remember is about 1000 baht....

I suppose you could check with CAT in Surratthannii, to see what it might cost you where you are.

Another friend uses 3BB, low cost plan 600 baht or there a bouts, that does have limits.... but he says he gets a pop up screen saying he has used his limit! ... at least 3BB warn people and you go and top up!!

Good luck with it! wink.png

Grrrrrrrrr

Google-Chrome-No-data-received.png

oh some of you guys are having problems,w00t.gif

I just got in there right away, as I did with the other link someone posted.... weird! facepalm.gif

ISP and location?

3BB, Chang Meye

I see that, further on, in this thread that you started to discover issues too. Have you tried the site I pointed out?

I think it depends on area you are in, to find what's better or not... I speak to people using TOT and there is nothing but grief with service..... True will throttle you... waste of time and money for the dongle, even on what they call their unlimited plan.... bah.gif

As stated I use 3BB (900 baht plan) and do not seem to be having the problems you and others are experiencing ... Using Firefox and HOLA to watch overseas TV..... without a lot of difficulty... thumbsup.gif

I have a friend here on Samui who uses CAT with a fiber optic line and gets great speeds.... but being in a fairly remote area, it cost him 30,000 baht +-, to put the line in.....his monthly charge if I remember is about 1000 baht....

I suppose you could check with CAT in Surratthannii, to see what it might cost you where you are.

Another friend uses 3BB, low cost plan 600 baht or there a bouts, that does have limits.... but he says he gets a pop up screen saying he has used his limit! ... at least 3BB warn people and you go and top up!!

Good luck with it! wink.png

thanks mate, I am on the 10 mb unlimited plan which is just over 600 baht a month, will trey jumping up to the same plane as you, dont really think I could find a better service in Thailand. Hopefully it is only a 3 day old glitch that will resolve before too long. Still trying to get the BEAR VPN working, got half through the install then it told me there was another program trying to load and stopped, trying to sort it out.

Anyone else on 3BB having mail problems? I have been unable to send or receive email since the outage on Monday evening - the VPN has solved the web access problems yet my email issue is baffling. Error message reads

'Outlook cannot connect to incoming POP3 or outgoing SMTP server. Contact ISP' This error across two machines which previously worked fine. No issues on the iPhone using 3G to poll for messages so mail server is not the culprit.

I am using ports 995(incoming) and 587 (outgoing) for mail. I hoped the VPN may fix the issue but this was not the case. Does anyone have knowledge around mail routing or is experiencing a similar problem?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile appjxnhl

Anyone else on 3BB having mail problems? I have been unable to send or receive email since the outage on Monday evening - the VPN has solved the web access problems yet my email issue is baffling. Error message reads

'Outlook cannot connect to incoming POP3 or outgoing SMTP server. Contact ISP' This error across two machines which previously worked fine. No issues on the iPhone using 3G to poll for messages so mail server is not the culprit.

I am using ports 995(incoming) and 587 (outgoing) for mail. I hoped the VPN may fix the issue but this was not the case. Does anyone have knowledge around mail routing or is experiencing a similar problem?

Thanks in advance!

If you know how to use traceroute, ping, openssl and telnet you should be able to diagnose the problem. I can use these programs, unfortunately explaining to you how to use them is beyond my ability.

Your "Outlook cannot connect" message indicates there is a blockage somewhere. Try to diagnose who is blocking what.

I have been unable to access my agencies pop3 email client, their webmail server and their website, all UK based, for about 3-4 days. I am using VPN to get by for now. I also noticed that my android app for accessing my UK bank was not working but that seems to be resolved for now. Streaming BBC radio has been mostly good but it will drop out randomly. Funnily enough, the Bualuang (Bangkok Bank) app is also timing out but that is probably just their crap service.

Looks like they are working on the problem.

I am getting mixed results now. Very fast connection or no connection at all.

I really hope they will fix this fast. facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

I hope you are right. From my perspective nothing appears to have changed but unfortunately my window for calling 3BB today has closed so I will have to wait until tomorrow. Here is my output from Axence NetTools (free version). If you want to do tracerts, etc the easy way try this tool.

post-68756-0-75397300-1408602385_thumb.j

Note the 21% packet drop at 110.164.0.251. This is the penultimate jump before going international. I've always debated the need for 6 jumps before going international compared with the 2 that are needed for addresses inside Thailand.....

4 extra jumps? What are jumps 3-5?

Edited by draftvader

Looks like they are working on the problem.

I am getting mixed results now. Very fast connection or no connection at all.

I really hope they will fix this fast. facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Forgive my earlier post. They must have sent the pigeons to your house first. Improving as we speak. Maybe they're reading this and thought "best fix this before (f*)King Farang calls" ;)

It's Jastel that is having problems with their connection to the EU. Mainly to the AMS-IX internet exchange.

Jastel / Jasmine provides connectivity to 3bb through their IIG. http://www.jastel.co.th/index.php/about-us

Jastel, based in Jasmine Tower....where 3BB are located...all owned by Jasmine International (JAS). Whichever way you look at it 3BB should have more influence over their international connection than they seem to.....

Then again group owns a company called "ARS" (little boy chortle!)

It's Jastel that is having problems with their connection to the EU. Mainly to the AMS-IX internet exchange.

Jastel / Jasmine provides connectivity to 3bb through their IIG. http://www.jastel.co.th/index.php/about-us

Jastel, based in Jasmine Tower....where 3BB are located...all owned by Jasmine International (JAS). Whichever way you look at it 3BB should have more influence over their international connection than they seem to.....

If I'm not mistaken 3BB doesn't have any infrastructure expect for the customer edge (dslams (dsl), ftth switches etc). Then all the core/internet stuff is handled by Jastel. But as you said this is more or less all the same company but they front as 3BB to the customer and Jastel to the international ISP community.

But I would say 3BB's stuff (customer edge) is working, or atleast as "working" as what is normal for them, and Jastel is having the problems :D

About influence. That's really the problem when it's all owned by the same company group but it's still splitt up when it comes to staff etc. The level where you can demand stuff to get fixed/implemented as soon as possible is far lower than if you had a normal customer, service provider relationship where you can put it in print in the contracts :)

If I'm not mistaken 3BB doesn't have any infrastructure expect for the customer edge (dslams (dsl), ftth switches etc). Then all the core/internet stuff is handled by Jastel. But as you said this is more or less all the same company but they front as 3BB to the customer and Jastel to the international ISP community.

But I would say 3BB's stuff (customer edge) is working, or atleast as "working" as what is normal for them, and Jastel is having the problems :D

About influence. That's really the problem when it's all owned by the same company group but it's still splitt up when it comes to staff etc. The level where you can demand stuff to get fixed/implemented as soon as possible is far lower than if you had a normal customer, service provider relationship where you can put it in print in the contracts :)

Exactly my point. How many names has their consumer division had? Personally I would use anybody who could be bothered to drag fibre down my soi. I'm 1km from Jasmine Tower but....no! Oh well I keep the pigeons well fed.

Seems the reliability of 3BB goes down the drain.... today no chance at all to get e.g. http://www.sea-bees.com/ or http://www.df.eu/ or http://www.wurzelimperium.de/ here on Phuket... Calling the different no. from 3BB no one picks up... omg... well then back to VPN ....

A simpler workaround to a VPS is a socks-proxy for web only. With Tor you can choose specific node for web use and the rest of your connection can use the standard 3BB routings. This is less processor intensive than using a VPN for everything, and it costs nothing.

Edited by 96tehtarp

Seems the reliability of 3BB goes down the drain.... today no chance at all to get e.g. http://www.sea-bees.com/ or http://www.df.eu/ or http://www.wurzelimperium.de/ here on Phuket... Calling the different no. from 3BB no one picks up... omg... well then back to VPN ....

Can confirm that this is happening to me too. Today I have had not had problems with the sites I was focussed on (all UK based). Here is my research on these 3.

http://www.sea-bees.com/ - Could not resolve - This is the message I get when the internet is down from Axence NetTools. This is the first time I have ever had it when I have a connection.

http://www.df.eu/ - Same

http://www.wurzelimperium.de/ - Same but I have managed to connect....it took about 3 minutes and refreshing shows me that I can't connect any more.

The only data I have from my research shows the connection dropping at 61.19.9.150 which is CAT.

All sites are on the same server in Germany

http://www.sea-bees.com.ipaddress.com/

http://www.df.eu.ipaddress.com/

www.wurzelimperium.de.ipaddress.com

This looks much like the problem we were having with a single UK data center. Somebody in Jasmine Tower is having a VERY bad week!