Thai education: Obec to cut school hours

webfact

Thai students spend a lot more time in classroom per day ( not counting goofy days off) than we did in the west growing up.

It's about quality of education, not hours.

You can't teach anything, especially English, in classes of 50+ students.

The culture of misbehavior and lack of accountability is also holding them back big time.

Kids knowing they will pass regardless of effort or learning is a huge block.

Make a fail, a fail.

Conversational English with the NES should be maximum 25 students.

They should also learn grammar, reading and writing taught by an experienced native speaker. Or any other nationality, where they don't lose their faces in a lesson.

Do you really think that Thai English teachers are better grammar teachers, explaining all in Thai and the kids understand nothing, as they don't have the needed vocabulary to use simple grammar?

Yes, let them fail, creates more jobs for Thais and Westerners and the kids will learn. Those who fail will have to go to a special school, again teachers for special needs needed.

And there're too many who shouldn't be in class............facepalm.gif ( including many Thai and foreign teachers, they should also fail).

It is so obvious to someone "outside the box"...instead of cutting the hours for learning, how about making the students take some classes in government and a civics class. They can learn (for the first time) what kind of governments are there around the world; what is a democracy... the advantage of a democracy... the duties of a voter in a democracy...ones civic duty in a community..the set up of the government of Thailand.... the importance of an honest government....

It the "powers at be" initiated this in schools within a decade maybe Thailand could produce some citizens that take voting more seriously and would know how their own government works.

• Like 1

How about cracking down on teachers that still hit their students?

At least someone is doing it... It sure isnt the parents that let their kids run around like wild animals...

If some kid got smacked for disrupting the class, so my kid could learn, then so be it.... And words mean JACK in Thailand... or anywhere else for that matter....

Thai students spend a lot more time in classroom per day ( not counting goofy days off) than we did in the west growing up.

It's about quality of education, not hours.

You can't teach anything, especially English, in classes of 50+ students.

The culture of misbehavior and lack of accountability is also holding them back big time.

Kids knowing they will pass regardless of effort or learning is a huge block.

Make a fail, a fail.

Conversational English with the NES should be maximum 25 students.

They should also learn grammar, reading and writing taught by an experienced native speaker. Or any other nationality, where they don't lose their faces in a lesson.

Do you really think that Thai English teachers are better grammar teachers, explaining all in Thai and the kids understand nothing, as they don't have the needed vocabulary to use simple grammar?

Yes, let them fail, creates more jobs for Thais and Westerners and the kids will learn. Those who fail will have to go to a special school, again teachers for special needs needed.

And there're too many who shouldn't be in class............facepalm.gif ( including many Thai and foreign teachers, they should also fail).

My comment about the ability to fail students had nothing to do with job creation.

The students need to know that there is a level of commitment required to get to the next level.

I think that the Thai English teachers are a valuable asset in the grammar component of the language.

Those at my school use mostly English in class and only resort to Thai when there's a more difficult concept to explain.

I think the NES teacher's focus should be on listening and speaking, not reading and writing as much.

Just my opinion.

This is great news. I remember when I was in school we'd get out at 230 and have a ton of time for physical activity, which we definitely took advantage of. The kids don't learn anything in school anyway, it is stupid to have them sit there so many hours. Let them out. So much healthier. I guarantee at many schools the teachers will have to stay until the same time, if this even goes through.

This is great news. I remember when I was in school we'd get out at 230 and have a ton of time for physical activity, which we definitely took advantage of. The kids don't learn anything in school anyway, it is stupid to have them sit there so many hours. Let them out. So much healthier. I guarantee at many schools the teachers will have to stay until the same time, if this even goes through.

Thais and physical activity don't go well together.

• Like 1

Education isn't about hours in the classroom...it is about guiding the natural curiosity of children and developing critical thinking skills, neither of which have a place in Thai educmacation. Thai educmacation is about teaching respect for the hierarchy, to make sure that the poor maintain a suitable deference to their betters in the hi-so class.

You're definitely preaching to the chior, on that score whistling.gif

Even if that is true, I think anything is healthier than them being in those classrooms that long, especially at that age. In caveman terms, school = good, too much school - very very bad.

I personally think among the many shortcomings here, thailand's physical education has to be one of the worst. I can't think of too many countries that don't rally around at least a sport or two. I suppose it is soccer here, but it's just not the right fit with the weather imo.... like Canadians and baseball :) It is just hopeless though, any way you look at it. It's too bad. But how healthy would it be for the country if every group of say 3 schools had their own olympic sized pool they could practice various sports in. Basic swimming, diving, snorkeling/scuba 101. I know this is out of left field but this country needs something. I don't see what kid in the world wont long to be around a pool in this weather either if you just get them to where they aren't scared of drowning.

"He affirmed that Obec would find a practical and effective way to ensure pupils didn't study too hard and still maintained their learning quality."

It is such an endearing quality of Thai (education) government spokespersons that they live in a parallel universe which has very little to connect it to the real world other countries' citizens live in

• Like 1

He affirmed that Obec would find a practical and effective way to ensure pupils didn't study too hard and still maintained their learning quality.

This will be most difficult to achieve since teachers don't teach students how to learn. They teach memorizing and copying.

The value of tutoring businesses rose from Bt7 billion in 2012 to Bt7.16 billion in 2013 and was expected grow to Bt8.189 billion by 2015.

The growth stemmed from hiked fees and student number increases, he said. Many kids hoped to improve academic results and boost scores in exams.

Let's see! Thai teachers withhold pertinent learning tools and then demand students attend tutoring classes if they want to pass their tests. With this in mind it makes sense that tutoring business is booming. I know several Directors who have their own business and demand students attend if they want to pass their finals.

Instead of having Tutoring classes the teachers should focus on really teaching their subjects instead of lecturing about their topics. Maybe then the students could really learn something and would not need to attend extra classes.

But business is business and teacher don't have any other way to make extra money other than these so called Tutoring schools and classes.

How about learning english, math and sciences.whistling.gif

Or better still world history and geography so the little dears might realise, unlike their parents, that Thailand is not the centre of the universe.

lol

They're going to cut the school hours, because they think students spend too much time studying, and should be doing more activities.....

Thai kids don't study enough in school, there are already too many days/weeks off for activities. When I was at school we'd spend a lot more time studying in school than what Thai kids do.

But the problem is, all parents know that what their kids learn in school isn't sufficient. As a result they place their kids in tutoring schools for 2-3h after school on weekdays and weekend school for 4-8h on the weekends.

The root problem is the quality of classroom learning, which causes parents to send their kids to the tutors (which then causes them to spend too long studying and thus not put in enough effort when they do study, which means they actually need the tutors just to get by).

The agency would at first reduce study hours in certain subjects such as the Social Studies, whose history and civic duty content could be taught via activities instead, he said.

I wonder if they know that social studies and history includes something other than just Thailand. What kind of activities would they be doing? More marching? Singing the National Anthem louder?

I am for reducing the study time, but it needs to be streamlined, not just reduced.

They should at least know that people in the UK would speak German now.....(without America's unselfish interest, "helping them out" a little).facepalm.gif

You mean the great loss of American blood that saved your ass.

Actually not mine, as I was born in the country that got bombed shirtless by you guys' airplanes and many of your GI's wanted our Fraeuleins......facepalm.gif

Without America's help, they would speak German now. Maybe not in Scotland.......

Sorry, for going off topic. My apologies.

What amazes me at Thai schools is that most Thai English teachers really teach, when they "Riang Peeset." ( Extra tutoring) after school, using the school's facilities.

Much different to an ordinary lesson. coffee1.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

A reduction in the school hours has its merits. My own children (aged 14 and 7) have to be up at six and are not home until six and five in the evening respectively (the younger one does an hour voluntary extra schoolwork at her school each day). They almost invariably also have homework - including at weekends - which leaves little free time for play or bonding with their parents.

To compensate for the lost learning time why not reduce the exorbitant number of days when schools are closed or non-functional due to official school holidays or public holidays and other events? In each year I reckon the children only actually receive nine months of education.

He affirmed that Obec would find a practical and effective way to ensure pupils didn't study too hard

Right guys, make sure you keep them stupid while another department will keep them poor, otherwise you might lose control at some time in the future.

Shhhh! You're letting out some secrets from Obama's playbook.

A reduction in the school hours has its merits. My own children (aged 14 and 7) have to be up at six and are not home until six and five in the evening respectively (the younger one does an hour voluntary extra schoolwork at her school each day). They almost invariably also have homework - including at weekends - which leaves little free time for play or bonding with their parents.

To compensate for the lost learning time why not reduce the exorbitant number of days when schools are closed or non-functional due to official school holidays or public holidays and other events? In each year I reckon the children only actually receive nine months of education.

You probably won't notice any difference though.

As the students will likely still be expected to complete the same curriculum, but with less hours per term to do so. What they don't finish in class, will likely be taught in special activities outside of school time, set as homework or simply examined but not actually taught (e.g. The teachers will expect the students to learn it during their afterschool classes).

They'll still do special school until the same time at night, just the special school teachers might charge a little extra for that additional 30mins or whatever it is.

(At least that's what I assume will happen anyway)

Even if that is true, I think anything is healthier than them being in those classrooms that long, especially at that age. In caveman terms, school = good, too much school - very very bad.

I personally think among the many shortcomings here, thailand's physical education has to be one of the worst. I can't think of too many countries that don't rally around at least a sport or two. I suppose it is soccer here, but it's just not the right fit with the weather imo.... like Canadians and baseball smile.png It is just hopeless though, any way you look at it. It's too bad. But how healthy would it be for the country if every group of say 3 schools had their own olympic sized pool they could practice various sports in. Basic swimming, diving, snorkeling/scuba 101. I know this is out of left field but this country needs something. I don't see what kid in the world wont long to be around a pool in this weather either if you just get them to where they aren't scared of drowning.

In Australia, only having pneumonia excused use from swimming! Really there was no excuse, even though the weather was, at times, chilly. So most Aussie kids learned to swim (properly). In Thailand, it seems 'being shy' is a valid excise not to get in the pool. So a lot of kids, especially girls, do not learn to swim at school (our school has a pool). Most kids like to pool, though a few seem to go through life not learning to swim. Those who do swim don't seem to do it very well. I think everyone here has seem little kids pulled out of klongs here, lifeless and full of water. There are too many needless deaths in this country due to lack of swimming skills.

A solution in search of a problem.

I was hearing lately about one private international school in BKK where the students were upset because the administration had decided to change the prior standard for getting an A grade in classes, which had been anything over 80%, to the new standard of at least 90% to get an A.

This was one of my first unpleasant surprises when I started teaching here. 80% or better is a 4.0, and 50% is still passing. When I was in school it was:

A: 90-100

B: 80-89

C: 70-79

D: 60-69

F: <60

Also, some of the subjects I teach are pass/fail at the 50% mark. Students can cut every class and still pass.

Edited by attrayant

Fairfax County Public Schools Mandatory Grading Scale for the 1978-79 school year.

94-100 A

87-93 B

80-86 C

70-79 D

<70 F

even in Math(s)......I believe they had so many complaints; they switched it off in some classes a few years later.....my senior year I had a shot at straight A's for the first time, ever, and the **** wouldn't give me an A, with a 92.4 average.....would have boosted scholarship offers, quite a bit.

Edited by SlyAnimal
language....

A solution in search of a problem.

I was hearing lately about one private international school in BKK where the students were upset because the administration had decided to change the prior standard for getting an A grade in classes, which had been anything over 80%, to the new standard of at least 90% to get an A.

This was one of my first unpleasant surprises when I started teaching here. 80% or better is a 4.0, and 50% is still passing. When I was in school it was:

A: 90-100

B: 80-89

C: 70-79

D: 60-69

F: <60

Also, some of the subjects I teach are pass/fail at the 50% mark. Students can cut every class and still pass.

I had a problem with this too. I just figured it was "their problem" however. I gave my tests, which I thought were very fair, and I took the highest score in every class and made that 100%. I then gave participation and homework points etc. When my grades came out in the end, all of the "A Students" (the real A students who should be getting A's), were lumped in with all these semi smart kids that didn't do too much...... because 80% was an A. The difference between 100% in my class (which I actually had once), and 80 percent was nothing, yet the difference in how much each actually learned was HUGE! lol I just figured, let the Thai logic continue; I gave them their percent values, and let Thai logic take it from there was my stance. I mean I could have went through the trouble of readjusting my scale or something, but it just seemed too subjective. Yet another reason for the kids not to try in the Thai schooling system.

Edited by isawasnake

With my tinfoil hat firmly in place, this comes as no surprised. Keep'em dumb and compliant.

It would fill me with great joy if the education was to improve, but there are much more pressing issues than 'stopping the children work to hard'.

Fairfax County Public Schools Mandatory Grading Scale for the 1978-79 school year.

94-100 A

87-93 B

80-86 C

70-79 D

<70 F

even in Math(s)......I believe they had so many complaints; they switched it off in some classes a few years later.....my senior year I had a shot at straight A's for the first time, ever, and the **** wouldn't give me an A, with a 92.4 average.....would have boosted scholarship offers, quite a bit.

I actually dislike the American scale of grading, much prefer the British one used for things such as IGCSE and what-not.

Here's why: Are you going to tell me that a student that knows 69% of the material is as bad off as a student who knows 1%? Then why give the same mark...

Definately a fan of having a broader range of scores to show student achievement.

94-100 A

87-93 B

80-86 C

70-79 D

<70 F

I actually dislike the American scale of grading, much prefer the British one used for things such as IGCSE and what-not.

Here's why: Are you going to tell me that a student that knows 69% of the material is as bad off as a student who knows 1%?

Nobody is going to tell you that because that's not what is meant to be inferred from a 1 versus a 69. What it means is that both students did unacceptably and therefore failed the course.

Then why give the same mark?

Because they both failed to achieve the minimum passing score. Don't read any more into it than that.

Edited by attrayant
  • Like 1

94-100 A

87-93 B

80-86 C

70-79 D

<70 F

Here's why: Are you going to tell me that a student that knows 69% of the material is as bad off as a student who knows 1%? Then why give the same mark...

Definately a fan of having a broader range of scores to show student achievement.

I feel the same way, in NZ when I was at high school etc we'd get given our base %s, and we could then make from what whatever we wanted. Our national exams gave As etc in addition to the %s, but I think this was to simply give a more "international feel" to it, as we only really ever cared about the %s.

I think they've changed the system in NZ now though, as they felt that %s were too discouraging for the really terrible students. Since then they knew how terrible they actually were, and it sapped their self esteem or something, just like they changed the wording from from "Failed" to "Not Achieved" to help boost the "Challenged" students self esteem.

For myself, I was much happier knowing that I got 78 78 77 78 85 74 on my school certificate exams than I would have been to simply know I got B B B B A B, as I could see how close I was to getting "A"s, and so even though I was gutted with my marks (I was expecting 80s in every subject & 90s in maths, so everything was about 5 marks below what I expected).

In relation to the actual article, this won't effect the kids grades, as the grades are relative to what is studied, they could only study 1h a day and still get 4s, because the cirriculium or testing methods should be adjusted to accommodate for the lower time spent studying. Less time in class will just give the kids who study with tutors afterschool a bigger advantage over the kids who don't. The hours studied for the kids in tutoring won't change, just the students who don't goto tutoring will have a bit more time each day to place computer games (Or maybe the schools will use that extra time for something really productive, like picking up rubbish or practising standing at attention for scouts).