Coins, the little ones, do we really need them?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Australian currency the lowest value is 1 cent, however the lowest denomination coin in circulation is 5 cents. Prices can still be quoted in any number of cents, however for cash payments this is rounded up to the nearest multiple of 5 cents if 3, 4, 8 and 9 cents, or rounded down if 1, 2, 6 and 7 cents. If you buy many items at a supermarket each item is entered at its actual value but the total is rounded up or down to the nearest multiple of 5 cents for cash payments. If you pay by credit or debit card the actual charge is debited.

There are considerable savings in not having to produce 1 cent coins, not to mention weight in your pocket. I would prefer that 1bt (or preferably 10bt) was the lowest value coin in circulation in Thailand - but I guess there will be objections from those who feel they are being ripped off. In fact in the Australian system sometimes you pay 3 cents more, sometimes 2 cents less. It averages out over time.

Many other countries in the world use similar systems – I think that it originated in Sweden when low denomination coins were removed from circulation some time ago.

Just wet your finger tip, press down, lift up and voila you've picked it up. biggrin.png

We've got piggy banks overflowing with them and rarely put them back in my pocket the next day. Keep the 5 and 10 though but not the 1 baht, 25 satang, 50 satang. 2 baht, never sure what to do with them except write 2 on them like the Thais. wink.png

They have the King's face on them. You don't leave them on the ground. That's likely why she was scrambling to pick them up.

Easy fix, things tat cost 50 satang now 2 for 1 baht. Things that cost 25 satang, now 4 for 1 baht! Round off large items to nearest baht and remove the dividers in the cash drawers so the clerk doesn't have to think!

Actually later on they did increase the price to, 2 for 1 baht 25 satang,

so you still Carn’t win.

Have a Nice Day.

My wife loves them.

She saves them up till she has a large jar full and takes them to 7 11.

I'm not sure if its her desire to see the staff franticly count them or what, but she always returns home with a big cheesy grin on her face tongue.png

We have a piggy bank that we fill up for our 2 kids... when they are full, we go to the Bank and the money is put into their respective accounts to spend as they please.

Also, giving the correct change when buying at Big C or whatever makes the process go a lot quicker....

Its a currency, so treat it as that...

Its disgraceful to throw it away when their are homeless, disabled or orphaned children that could use it to help them out in their daily lives.... Throw it away??? What a scum-pond reply!

I amassed a considrable amount of satang came out to a princley sum of 20baht an ice cream for the kid went to bank to get a twenty note sorry we don`t take satangs here <deleted> ! dumped the hole lot to the icream vendor not pleased I said go to the bank and complain to them as they don`t accept Thai coinage,kid was happy biggrin.png

• Like 1

thhMan, on 21 Aug 2014 - 09:40, said:

We have a piggy bank that we fill up for our 2 kids... when they are full, we go to the Bank and the money is put into their respective accounts to spend as they please.

Also, giving the correct change when buying at Big C or whatever makes the process go a lot quicker....

Its a currency, so treat it as that...

Its disgraceful to throw it away when their are homeless, disabled or orphaned children that could use it to help them out in their daily lives.... Throw it away??? What a scum-pond reply!

Pray tell what bank was that

whether or not we have coins and their denomination is decided by the amount of transactions that they are used in.

coins being metal have a vey long life span seven if they are worth more as scrap, they return the value in years of service.

As countries get "richer" one finds that inflation affects how we use the currency. it's what a coin buys that is relevant, not it's numerical value.

E.G. - if a meal costs 20 baht, then it is probably a good benchmark for a note.......... however if that "standard cost" - goes up to 50 or 100 baht, then the argument for 20 baht to become a coin becomes stronger.

At the bottom end the small denominations become less and less frequently used until they gradually disappear - there is no 1 setang colin...the smallest unit is 25?

it really doesn't matter what you call a coin or its face value, what is important is frequency of use.

As a rich farang we may find the smaller coins a nuisance, but Thailand still has a massive portion of its population that is very, very poor so these coins may still perform a function.

As the clerk is giving you your change, pick out the copper-colored coin and politely tell her that she (or the store) can keep it. That way you'll never have to deal with those annoying, good-for-almost-nothing coins again. Take care of it as they are about to come into your possession, and it's finished.

lets change the thai currency now to suit us

Yes, it seems life is so challenging for some people. I wonder what they would do if they had to deal with real problems.

Maybe the O/P needs to buy pants that have adequately sized pockets or else watch an instructional video demonstrating how to undress without causing pandemonium.

And let's not forget the guy who had to be sedated because 7-Eleven couldn't give him every last satang in change after paying his utility bill. If they round down your change to the nearest baht for lack of coins, he may run amuck and need to be restrained.

Some people feel unfulfilled unless they have a litany of things about which to whine.

dogfart.jpg

• Like 2

At the gym a big water 15฿. Hand over a twenny. There's another bloody coin. Rattling around my pocket until I get home again. Pants off for a shower and its rolling around on the floor...aaahh

You could always shower with your pants on.... problem solved..... too easy.

Cheers.

The Satang is just over doing it. I'm constantly asking what the hell they are for. What can you buy for 25 or 50 Satang???

Every few days I present them to the wife and tell her they are for all the hard work she does or I love her so much I want her to have the sum total of my wealth.

With a giggling Wai I receive a "Khorb Khung Ka"

Answered my own question, they buy a light moment with my wife. Wouldn't live without them...

When I built our (the Wife’s) house, 1 red brick cost 50 satang…

If, as some one suggested that they did away with the 25 and 50 satang coins and rounded the prices to 1 Baht,

my house would have cost twice as much to build (brick wise).

Just saying like.

Have a Nice Day

Maybe you could have got 2 red bricks for one baht ?? You think ?

If at 7/11 or Tesco Express and I get charged an amount ending in 25, 50 or 75 satang I put my hand in my pocket picking up all the little copper colored coins and offer it to the salesperson. Normally they will take as many as they can offering back some 1, 2, 5, or 10 baht coins to the same value in exchange. Rarely do I have many of those little coins in my pocket for more than a day or two.

There are a lot a lot of charity boxes around to put them in.

The Satang is just over doing it. I'm constantly asking what the hell they are for. What can you buy for 25 or 50 Satang???

Every few days I present them to the wife and tell her they are for all the hard work she does or I love her so much I want her to have the sum total of my wealth.

Answered my own question, they buy a light moment with my wife. Wouldn't live without them...

When I built our (the Wifes) house, 1 red brick cost 50 satang

If, as some one suggested that they did away with the 25 and 50 satang coins and rounded the prices to 1 Baht,

Just saying like.

Have a Nice Day

That makes no sense at all. You would just get multiple bricks per baht. Did you bring a truckload of coins to the brick maker and literally hand him 50 satang per brick? The only way eliminating 25/50 satang coins would have made your house more expensive is if your house was actually made of coins.

Have a nice day as well.

Big C, Makro , Lotus have often bills with 25 or 50 satangs ( specially with milk ) , it's still useful to give the exact count, like this , the cashier don't give back a lot of 1 baht coins ( price is 880.25 bahts, I give 900.25 bahts , and she gives back 20 bahts )

At the gym a big water 15฿. Hand over a twenny. There's another bloody coin. Rattling around my pocket until I get home again. Pants off for a shower and its rolling around on the floor...aaahh

I am thinking you can work on taking off your pants some. ROFL

My suggestion is to sit down before you take them off.

• Like 1

In the Australian currency the lowest value is 1 cent, however the lowest denomination coin in circulation is 5 cents. Prices can still be quoted in any number of cents, however for cash payments this is rounded up to the nearest multiple of 5 cents if 3, 4, 8 and 9 cents, or rounded down if 1, 2, 6 and 7 cents. If you buy many items at a supermarket each item is entered at its actual value but the total is rounded up or down to the nearest multiple of 5 cents for cash payments. If you pay by credit or debit card the actual charge is debited.

There are considerable savings in not having to produce 1 cent coins, not to mention weight in your pocket. I would prefer that 1bt (or preferably 10bt) was the lowest value coin in circulation in Thailand - but I guess there will be objections from those who feel they are being ripped off. In fact in the Australian system sometimes you pay 3 cents more, sometimes 2 cents less. It averages out over time.

Many other countries in the world use similar systems – I think that it originated in Sweden when low denomination coins were removed from circulation some time ago.

Across the ditch, in Un Zud, they've dumped the 5c coins. When it happened the question was, if I buy a 55c stamp and pay 60c, do I get 10c change?

Heard Australia is also talking about getting rid of the 5c coin as they cost 6c to produce.

As far as the little coins are concerned in Thailand, they're still widely used up in the countryside.

To avoid shrapnel hitting the tiles in the bathroom . . . buy a bathmat (or a bahtmat).

When I built our (the Wifes) house, 1 red brick cost 50 satang

Just saying like.

Have a Nice Day

That makes no sense at all. You would just get multiple bricks per baht. Did you bring a truckload of coins to the brick maker and literally hand him 50 satang per brick? The only way eliminating 25/50 satang coins would have made your house more expensive is if your house was actually made of coins.

Have a nice day as well.

Wooooooo....yes i will have a nice day...Thank You

and obviously you did not read my post correctly.

Have a Nice Day.

Have your wife stick her hands in your pockets before you take off your pants.

I'll bet she won't complain about a handful of coins.

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 1

In my native country Norway we discuss being the first country in the world to get rid of coins and bills altogether and only use cards and smartphones to pay any bill or when you do the shopping . A card is all you need really. You won't find any shop in Norway that will refuse you to pay with a card.

There was a news story about a restaurant in Oslo that you only could use credit cards to pay with. They refused anyone with cash to eat at their restaurant. So I guess this is the future.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1