breaking a 2 year lease?

Currently looking for a rental house around bang Na and prawet and have found that the rental is generally cheaper if a 2 year lease agreement is involved. My question is, if I sign up for a 2 year lease and then, for whatever reason, am unable to fulfil the 2 years, what will happen? I assume I would just lose my 2 months deposit?

Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

I would like to think that if someone signed a 2 year lease and then left after 6 months, that laws exist to enforce payment of the lease as per the terms.

Maybe it would be more responsible for people to sign a lease they are happy with.

One guy I know has a price for 6 month and 12 month condo rental agreements. If after 6 months people sign up for another 6 month the price of the remaining 6 months is the same as the 12 month contract. I think that is a very reasonable compromise

Most leases allow for you to terminate the agreement, but you will forfeit your deposit. I would just be open and accept if you leave in most circumstances you will not get it back.

In areas of high demand now, most landlords do accept a 'diplomatic' clause in that if you are working for a company and they request you relocate, and a letter indicating this can be provided from your employer that termination is accepted, without loss of the deposit. Not sure if your circumstances allow for this, or whether the landlord would accept.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to think that if someone signed a 2 year lease and then left after 6 months, that laws exist to enforce payment of the lease as per the terms.

Maybe it would be more responsible for people to sign a lease they are happy with.

One guy I know has a price for 6 month and 12 month condo rental agreements. If after 6 months people sign up for another 6 month the price of the remaining 6 months is the same as the 12 month contract. I think that is a very reasonable compromise

Losing just the deposit IS within the terms of the lease. Thai leases are not the same as US leases. The deposit is there for those who break the lease within its duration. In Thailand you do not pay for the entire duration of the lease if you leave early.