Did you burn your bridges when you moved to Thailand?

giddyup

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gave everything to my daughter or my friends, only brought over what I thought I would use. Used to go back a bit when I first came over but have only been back once in the last 3 years and dont miss it at all. I thought long and hard about it before I made my decision because I knew I would have to live with it. Thailand is my home now, if people that move here cannot accept that then they shouldnt do it, simple, I love it here and will never move back.

Edited by seajae
  • Like 2

Nah no burned bridges.

Got family, car, bank accounts and stock back in England and while I love Thailand, I can't really take it seriously

People come here and build lives without considering the foundations.

They put property, cars and other assets in other people's names or through shifty company arrangements that likely will NOT stand up to "junta-style" scrutiny; they start businesses with 100% of the capital but end up owning only 49% of the equity

I'd have to be a complete tool to torch my links at home to pump money into a country in which I had F.A. in the way of rights just because there's easy p***y there.

Sorry but that's what most - NOT ALL - of these guys have done.

If you are of an advanced age as I am, and with no descendants, it doesn't matter a hoot to me where I "pump" my money, as long as I have enough to see me through, Thailand or elsewhere. You might try and get your head around the fact that it's not just "easy pu**y" as you so crassly put it, that entices people to retire to Thailand, it's a whole range of things, like good weather, relaxed lifestyle and relatively cheap living.
  • Like 2

Anything but, I kept two London properties which I rent out, and have still kept my British Bank Account and Bullding Society accounts open with funds in them, also kept my British Address , which enables me to use the NHS and family doctor when I go back on vacation....

Saying all that I do class Thailand as home, and I have an excellent quality of life, simple but I am happy.

Totally different from life in London , which I do like to visit every few months, London is a great city and is great to make money with all the opportunities that it has to offer..

The topic is essentially "Did you go all in?" and this was covered not 2-3 weeks ago at length on here. Next.

Sure. Let's not talk about the same thing twice. Somebody new might contribute something new and insightful, interesting, humourous or helpful. Can't have that. All the words that have been written about this topic have been written already. I'm surprised the mods don't close this thread and banish the OP.

• Like 1

Sold the house, car, and either sold or gave away all our possessions when we moved here 18 years ago.

That said, we still have a daughter in the US who we visit and I have brothers who I visit. I still maintain a portfolio of banks in the US where we keep most of our finances. And finally, from day one, we told ourselves to always always have a plan B in the hip pocket. My wife and I feel confident that we could pack a suitcase in 24 hours and leave what we've invested here behind........if that's what plan B called for. It might not be pretty, but we could do it and survive elsewhere..

• Like 1

Burning one's bridges: Do something which makes it impossible to return to an earlier state.

Selling one's stuff and taking all your money out of your country doesn't mean you can never go back. There's always a way. But having committed a serious crime does! Who strangled his wife to come and move in with his girlfriend or robbed a bank for a plush retirement ? Well, you've burned your bridges! facepalm.gif

I do not think that burning bridges is a very apt phrase - it's a bit like the half empty half full glass question - it's more a question of whether or not you are fully committed to your new environment - that's the half full glass .

Personally, I never had any doubts when I came to LOS and after some 30 years still do not doubt that I made the right decision - regardless of some of the difficulties I have encountered , the plus side far outweighs any negativity , so to answer the OP.

No, I did not burn my bridges because there weren't any but I did come with a determination to make it work and a total commitment to making a new life - my glass is now overflowing........

• Like 1

The topic is essentially "Did you go all in?" and this was covered not 2-3 weeks ago at length on here. Next.

Sure. Let's not talk about the same thing twice. Somebody new might contribute something new and insightful, interesting, humourous or helpful. Can't have that. All the words that have been written about this topic have been written already. I'm surprised the mods don't close this thread and banish the OP.

Sorry, but everything you just said was covered in the last post.smile.png

Burning one's bridges: Do something which makes it impossible to return to an earlier state.

Selling one's stuff and taking all your money out of your country doesn't mean you can never go back. There's always a way. But having committed a serious crime does! Who strangled his wife to come and move in with his girlfriend or robbed a bank for a plush retirement ? Well, you've burned your bridges! facepalm.gif

Read the definition again. It doesn't say you can never go back, it says "return to an earlier state". It's not easy to return to the house you've sold, or to even replace it with one of equal value if you've spent the money elsewhere.

I realised that I finally burnt the bridge when I auctioned off my collection of Hawkwind lp's back in the UK leaving nothing else just before moving here for good.

I almost feel like crying, you wouldnt believe the conversation I am having by PM just now on this very subject.

Mine will be burnt at the local wat with me, they can accompany me to the next life where I can listen to them all over again.

• Like 1

I realised that I finally burnt the bridge when I auctioned off my collection of Hawkwind lp's back in the UK leaving nothing else just before moving here for good.

Gosh that a a blast from the blast, Hawkwind , was it I've got a silver machine ????

That's the one. Saw them live in 1976 as an impressionable 16 year old and was never the same.

• Like 2

I almost feel like crying, you wouldnt believe the conversation I am having by PM just now on this very subject.

Mine will be burnt at the local wat with me, they can accompany me to the next life where I can listen to them all over again.

I had the entire collection on cd which I bought with me so not as bad as it sounds :-)

The lp sale almost paid for half of my Triton which was some sort of consolation I guess.

Hope the day when you finally 'Disappear in Smoke' is a blast :-)

• Like 2

Sold my house that was fully paid for, lived off of that until pension kicked in. Some of my stuff is kicking around in family homes, but nothing else. Why own a car I won't drive? Why have stereos and furniture with no place to put? If it didn't work out in Thailand I'd move elsewhere. Oops! Just recalled I moved here from Bali....

• Like 1

Gosh that a a blast from the blast, Hawkwind , was it I've got a silver machine ????

That's the one. Saw them live in 1976 as an impressionable 16 year old and was never the same.

That was a top tour, Atomhenge, Calvert at his menacing best, the swords during Hassan, Uncle Sams On Mars, etc etc, what a light show, strobes and back screen projections, never seen anything like it either before or since.

Got the double Atomhenge CD, its not the same as the real thing.

• Like 1

Well done, until you're other half kicks you out or immigration.

Btw, you haven't actually burnt your bridges. You have sold up and relocated, which many people do. Burning your bridges signifies quitting your job, telling your boss, family and friends where to go and tearing up your passport. You have merely moved, no big deal. As long as you're fine with being looked down upon and forever the tourist you'll do well wink.png

I would love the idea of tearing up my passport and move with my family, but first i have to sell big properties..Who's buying property in Greece today? Only the insane!

Any offers? :-)

I would not say I burnt my bridges in that I retired in good standing at both the college and at city hall, two areas in which I was very involved. Sold the 18.5 acres in rural Kentucky, all the furniture, let my sons take what they wanted, brought a third of my library, donated a third to the local library and a third to Chiang Mai University (American History). I believe in a few years I will be the expat who might visit the U.S. but feel reverse culture shock. You just can't go home because things continue to change. Thus far, it has been the right decision to go to cash and retire here.

• Like 1

If you are of an advanced age as I am, and with no descendants, it doesn't matter a hoot to me where I "pump" my money, as long as I have enough to see me through, Thailand or elsewhere. You might try and get your head around the fact that it's not just "easy pussy" as you so crassly put it, that entices people to retire to Thailand, it's a whole range of things, like good weather, relaxed lifestyle and relatively cheap living.

Yeah the clue was in this sentence.

Sorry but that's what most - NOT ALL - of these guys have done

im doing it the other way,

ive got a very happy loving life here,

but im looking to buy some houses in the uk to have rented out for the future,

and of course we can never say that the junta wont alter things were we wont be able to stay here, so im getting in the property market again while the prices are still on the buyers side,

money not making much in the bank, and to put it into my grandfathers words,

put your money in bricks and mortor

I too sold my 560 SM house in the USA, all my "stuff" and left behind a life time of friends. I discovered having lots of possessions including friends has it's obligations and is confining. I now live in a 120 SM condo and consider it huge. I have a lovely Thai girl friend, a few nice Farong friends here and lots of time for myself. I don't think I could ever fit in again in the US. I would just be another old man living alone. I have a grown daughter and a brother that I chat on the phone with each week and visit each year but other than that I have no connections with my past life.

Is your thai girlfriend OLD like you

My gf is 45 but looks 25. Each day we both spend an 2 hours in the gym or on the bicycle. It seems to work better for her than for me. No matter what I do, I still look 67. ;-)

• Like 2

I do remember seeing a post not to long back entitled "All in In". I do not see "Burning your bridges" the same. "All in" seems more of a calculated choice where as "burning bridges" seems a bit more reactive and spiteful. Either way both have you in Thailand in what appears to be "no way back" position.

Answering the OP's question, No I did not burn any bridges, I made a few people mad and have received endless flack on how could I ever leave the "Beautiful US of A" to go live in a 3rd world country but I am not "Trapped". I have committed no more money here than I am willing to lose. I keep my financial activity in the US leaving me options to return pretty easily. I did sell off all my assets but that's really not a big deal. I prefer not owning a home and having to be saddled with Property tax and rental management at this juncture in my life. Just not for me. Besides moving back and renting and buying a car are really easy. I am still young enough to be employed at this stage in my life. Do I plan on returning to the US...NO. I love my life in TL with my wife and I do because I do not listen to any of the whiny, complaining old people on this site. Thailand is exactly what YOU make it not what others say it is.

I will say that on a few occasions maxing out my credit cards and then filing for bankruptcy did sound kind of fun. Not very responsible but fun nonetheless.

• Like 1

I do remember seeing a post not to long back entitled "All in In". I do not see "Burning your bridges" the same. "All in" seems more of a calculated choice where as "burning bridges" seems a bit more reactive and spiteful. Either way both have you in Thailand in what appears to be "no way back" position.

Answering the OP's question, No I did not burn any bridges, I made a few people mad and have received endless flack on how could I ever leave the "Beautiful US of A" to go live in a 3rd world country but I am not "Trapped". I have committed no more money here than I am willing to lose. I keep my financial activity in the US leaving me options to return pretty easily. I did sell off all my assets but that's really not a big deal. I prefer not owning a home and having to be saddled with Property tax and rental management at this juncture in my life. Just not for me. Besides moving back and renting and buying a car are really easy. I am still young enough to be employed at this stage in my life. Do I plan on returning to the US...NO. I love my life in TL with my wife and I do because I do not listen to any of the whiny, complaining old people on this site. Thailand is exactly what YOU make it not what others say it is.

I will say that on a few occasions maxing out my credit cards and then filing for bankruptcy did sound kind of fun. Not very responsible but fun nonetheless.

"Burning bridges" reactive and spiteful, how do you figure that? In my experience there's more whiny young men, especially those who seem to take offence that anyone over 60 still has the audacity to draw air. I have yet to see any complaining responses to my question, it's pretty simple, you either burnt all your bridges or you didn't. I wasn't asking for a commentary on whether you had made the right choice, or if you loved or hated Thailand.

Edited by giddyup

"Burning bridges" reactive and spiteful, how do you figure that? In my experience there's more whiny young men, especially those who seem to take offence that anyone over 60 still has the audacity to draw air. I have yet to see any complaining responses to my question, it's pretty simple, you either burnt all your bridges or you didn't. I wasn't asking for a commentary on whether you had made the right choice, or if you loved or hated Thailand.

I did answer your question. NO!!

I still think they are very different. Could all be interpretation

No harm. The thread will have varying responses to your OP.

Edited by JAFO