Wood Glue

chiangrai

Hi,

I want to screw and glue two pieces of plywood together and it has to be strong.

I looked the local shop and the lady showed me two types of wood glue.

Neither had English instructions on them.

One was a little bottle of clear liquid which she said was best used with glue and dried in seconds.

The other was a tin which said DOG

X-66

QUALIFIED ADHESIVE.

for leather and Formica

I take it that this one is not for wood and the one that dried in seconds will not give me time to get the screws in.

Does anybody what is the best wood glue to use in Thailand and where it is sold.

For a really strong bond use a two part epoxy glue. Halford make a reasonably price one in a blue tin and another in an orange tin, available at home pro etc.

If you want the best, use Marine laminating epoxy such as west system or similar. Epotec is a cheaper alternative to west system. No idea where you'd find that in Chiang Rai though.

As said, the X-66 is a contact cement that must be applied to both pieces and let dry for about 10 minutes before they are joined. Once joined there is no realligning the pieces so you have to get it right the first time. It will work on wood as is available everywhere.

I use ELMERS carpenter's wood glue. I buy it at Home Pro. It is specifically made for joining wood and gives a good bond. "Spread on both pieces, Clamp for 30 minutes. Finest bond is achieved after drying 24 hours" You can align the pieces after they are joined and if it is a large surface I just put weights on it for about an hour.

• Like 2

As said, the X-66 is a contact cement that must be applied to both pieces and let dry for about 10 minutes before they are joined. Once joined there is no realligning the pieces so you have to get it right the first time. It will work on wood as is available everywhere.

I use ELMERS carpenter's wood glue. I buy it at Home Pro. It is specifically made for joining wood and gives a good bond. "Spread on both pieces, Clamp for 30 minutes. Finest bond is achieved after drying 24 hours" You can align the pieces after they are joined and if it is a large surface I just put weights on it for about an hour.

Only sold at Home-Pro stores in Thailand.

Jerry

Only sold at Home-Pro stores in Thailand.

Jerry

I buy it at Home Pro but haven't looked anywhere else. I do know that the Ma and Pa stores don't carry it! It's very popular in the US.

Many decades ago in the late 1950s in woodworking class at school we used to use fish glue made from boiled up fish bones. Revoltingly smelling stuff but it worked. The reason I mentioned it is besause Thais eat a loy of fish and therefore there will be many fish bones available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_glue

"Animal glue was the most common woodworking glue for thousands of years until the advent of synthetic glues such as polyvinyl acetate (PVA) and other resin glues in the 20th century."

I have seen Thai's use the white glue, the same glue that the kids use in school. I've never tried it on wood though. They sell it everywhere. The ELMER"S is in a dark blue and orange plastic bottle and has "WOOD GLUE" in big white letters on the front..

A DAP product that the wood furniture makers used at my house in Buriram Province was "Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue". It is Made in the USA, but repackaged in Thailand to keep the cost reasonable. It is used at furniture factories in Thailand and by custom furniture makers in Buriram Province. I have seen "Weldwood" at family owned stores. The ingredients and instructions are in Thai and ENGLISH on the white can. The brand name is DAP SW COMMERCIAL. None of the wood furniture in my home have come apart. I bought this product to repair wooden doors and fiberglass doors that "came apart" after recalling the "wood team" who built the walk in closet, kitchen cabinets, bedroom wardrode closets, stereo shelves used the Weldwood successfully. .

A DAP product that the wood furniture makers used at my house in Buriram Province was "Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue". It is Made in the USA, but repackaged in Thailand to keep the cost reasonable. It is used at furniture factories in Thailand and by custom furniture makers in Buriram Province. I have seen "Weldwood" at family owned stores. The ingredients and instructions are in Thai and ENGLISH on the white can. The brand name is DAP SW COMMERCIAL. None of the wood furniture in my home have come apart. I bought this product to repair wooden doors and fiberglass doors that "came apart" after recalling the "wood team" who built the walk in closet, kitchen cabinets, bedroom wardrode closets, stereo shelves used the Weldwood successfully. .

post-202724-0-57521000-1408957974_thumb. Edited by CMCMANGOMAN
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

I just sent my wife to our local amphur Tesco to buy a zip pack tube of contact cement. This Tesco did not have one in stock.  She just came back with a  can of X-66 from a small mom and pop shop for 50 baht.  I saw this post when looking for details as to what type of adhesive she brought back. Never say never unless you are sure.

• 4 years later...