Thai tour guides’ latest complaint over Russian workers falls on deaf ears

Rimmer

Thai tour guides’ latest complaint over Russian workers falls on deaf ears

n3PBTA-1.jpg

PATTAYA:--Pattaya police chief brushed away new complaints from Thai tour guides that Russians are stealing their jobs, saying Thai companies should consider Russian-speaking guides helpful, since Thai companies don’t have enough employees speaking their language.

Banglamung District Chief Sakchai Taengho told the Aug. 13 meeting of the Pattaya Business & Tourism Association the Pattaya Tour Guides Club has filed a complaint at the district’s new Complaint Center, alleging Russian guides are working illegally, stealing their jobs and may be connected to organized crime.

Police Chief Col. Supathee Bungkhrong said there was no evidence any Russian guides or companies were tied to criminal gangs. In fact, he said, owners of these companies “consider Pattaya their second home and have invested in the city.”

“Besides, there are not enough Russian-speaking guides at (Pattaya Tour Guides) Club member companies,” Supathee said. “So it’s better if the Thai guides consider the Russians as helping.”

Supathee noted that no charges will be filed against the Russian tour companies and pointed out that, in fact, the owner of the largest Russian tour company is a Thai.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/thai-tour-guides-latest-complaint-over-russian-workers-falls-on-deaf-ears-40501#sthash.mUZe04IU.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2014-08-22 footer_n.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A clear case of the market deciding. Why would a non English speaking Russian want to go on a tour with a Thai guide who speaks rudimentary English and no Russian?

I have to say I admire the Russian no nonsense approach. Give the people what they want and deal with the rules as they come up. Go to Harats, the Russian owned Irish bar in Jomtien. Not one thai working there. The barmen are Russian. How do they get away with it? I don't know but they do.

Pity the rest of the expat population don't have the cojones to do the same. It might make the Thais buck up their ideas of service. Buddha help them when Asean comes into force and the Phillipino's join the workforce.

Going to a bar where the music is played for the tastes of the customers not the staff would be a good start. I know some do and those are the ones where I spend my money but wouldn't it be nice if there was more bars doing this?

There is also a late night bar on Pratumnak soi 5 operated entirely be Russians "Tropicana" its not a clip joint, the Russian staff are friendly to any nationality

If work permits can only be given to people who can do a job that a thai cannot

Then having a Russian tour guide for Russians does make sense unless the Thai can speak Russian

As long as the Conpany does employ 5 thai staff and pays it's taxes

<snip>

Go to Harats, the Russian owned Irish bar in Jomtien. Not one thai working there. The barmen are Russian. How do they get away with it? I don't know but they do.

<snip>

Perhaps the Thai staff are on permanent holiday?

post removed under forum rule 11)

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Forget the General, I think Police Chief Col. Supathee Bungkhrong should become the new PM.

I agree with that. The guy sounds like a free market laissez-faire capitalist. I would endorse the guy. Although, It would be nice to see him elected democratically not appointed.

Perhaps the embassies concerned should help to organize/police language proficiency certificates for tour guides. I do not mean that the embassy actually do the work itself but rather that (as with visas) a third party supplier (a REAL language school for example) certify language skills to a set grade(1,2 3 etc.). And if the Thai holders of such certificates are available, they need to be hired. If they are not then temporary permits should be given to native speakers - which will help with minority languages. How many Thais speak Turkish?

Than every faring can get a Work Permit thumbsup.gif

Not for driving taxis and stuff like that

I know what u r saying

I just wonder if these your guides have the work permits or are doing on tourist visas

Most of them probably legit but some of them had better watch out

"Supathee noted that no charges will be filed against the Russian tour companies and pointed out that, in fact, the owner of the largest Russian tour company is a Thai."

A "nominee" perhaps? clap2.gif wai2.gif

Yes sounds like jealousy

End of the day we all sleep

Apart from that maybe other tour company's have a problem but at least Thais don't need a work permit, don't need visa, don't need to pay high taxes and cannot be deported

So there is allot of opportunity for them

• Like 1

Strange to see many people supporting Russian guides, bar staff, whatever.

Just yesterday a Norwegian man who appeared to be doing a good service to the community at large, was arrested for not having a work permit and visa irregularities. Some of the comments about him, such as being no more than a criminal, were over the top.

It would appear to some of us that the proverbial "blind eye" has been used for some tim for some nationalities, but unfortunately for the chiropractor, Norwegians aren't protected.

• Like 1

A clear case of the market deciding. Why would a non English speaking Russian want to go on a tour with a Thai guide who speaks rudimentary English and no Russian?

I have to say I admire the Russian no nonsense approach. Give the people what they want and deal with the rules as they come up. Go to Harats, the Russian owned Irish bar in Jomtien. Not one thai working there. The barmen are Russian. How do they get away with it? I don't know but they do.

Pity the rest of the expat population don't have the cojones to do the same. It might make the Thais buck up their ideas of service. Buddha help them when Asean comes into force and the Phillipino's join the workforce.

Going to a bar where the music is played for the tastes of the customers not the staff would be a good start. I know some do and those are the ones where I spend my money but wouldn't it be nice if there was more bars doing this?

Tell me about it. Asking nicely (after purchasing a dozen or more drinks)if they can play my compilation CD of classic rock, Led Zep, Clash, REM, Beatles etc. only to have the volume turned down or stopped entirely and CD returned to yours truly. Chek-bin please (for the final time). Out I go and on goes the vile dance pop at top volume. I thought it only happened to me...555

ASEAN won't happen, the Thais will revolt at the mass flight of jobs to the Filipinos. I really don't think they realise what they've been signed up for.

It's nothing like the EU as the countries were initially on the same economic level as each other. ASEAN has in contrast has massive economic disparity.

Edited by makescents
  • Like 1

<snip>

Go to Harats, the Russian owned Irish bar in Jomtien. Not one thai working there. The barmen are Russian. How do they get away with it? I don't know but they do.

<snip>

Perhaps the Thai staff are on permanent holiday?

You may actually be on to something. The thai paid Staff is simply paid told not to show up. 300 baht per day for not going to work. They are on books,Quotas are met. Taxes and social security paid. If this establishment can afford to do that, it might be a good business formula for others to consider.

I don't see why the tour companies could not do something similar, unless their profits margins are too thin.

• Like 1

there are russians handing out leaflets to all farangs right under the big TV at the start of walking street. no conversation is required as its all written down in the leaflet.........i wonder where the 4 thais for each employed russian leaflet monkey are? they must have work permits, right??

One post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Then having a Russian tour guide for Russians does make sense unless the Thai can speak Russian

4 Thai staff not 5 and no way in hell a Thai can speak good enough Russian to guide people.

Learn a few words in Russian and see if Russians understand it

Edited by konying

4 Thai staff not 5 and no way in hell a Thai can speak good enough Russian to guide people.

Learn a few words in Russian and see if Russians understand it

Can't tell if you are having a go at me

But it seems as if you are agreeing with me apart from the 4 thai staff

Maybe it changes

Anyway I agree that Russians should be tour guides for Russians just as Japanese for Japanese and Chinese for Chinese and so on

• Like 1