Nai Harn looks perfect, all cleaned up!

steelepulse

Thanks for the report. I was planning to visit Nai Harn today, but was too late to get there before the sunset.

Bang Tao looks nice now. There is a bit of construction trash around, but will be cleared out at some point.

Surin, even if the Catch and other restaurants, which are located east of the beach walking street are still operating, is looking much much better than before.

Kamala, which in Finnish means "awful" had quite a rain once I got there. I have nothing good to say about that bloody place :)

What happened to Bubblebumgun's earlier positive attitude?

Thanks for the report. I was planning to visit Nai Harn today, but was too late to get there before the sunset.

Bang Tao looks nice now. There is a bit of construction trash around, but will be cleared out at some point.

Surin, even if the Catch and other restaurants, which are located east of the beach walking street are still operating, is looking much much better than before.

Kamala, which in Finnish means "awful" had quite a rain once I got there. I have nothing good to say about that bloody place smile.png

What happened to Bubblebumgun's earlier positive attitude?

In Kamala I notice a large section of land right next to the beach has been fenced off at the northern end. Looked like some developer's signage on the fence.

"What happened to Bubblebumgun's earlier positive attitude?"

He's a spoiled brat who can never get comfy on the beach without a chair and burns like hell without an umbrella. He also likes to enjoy some luxuries like being served a bottle of water or a Leo.

And yes he can't be bothered bringing his own icebox :-)

But have to agree; it looks nice, just looks nice

@bubblebumgun: I admire your honest self assessment :D

Maybe Phuket could learn what Vietnam had already 10 years ago. Instead of being on the beach, move to the sea. Added bonus - toilet trips have never been so easy.

CIMG0083.JPG

I heard Krix Luther held one of his boot camp cleanups. I wonder if that was it. Kind of sounds like one of the Green Club activities organized by SEEK, but I am cc'ed on all their activities and didn't see anything. Steelepulse, do you know what group it was?

• Like 1

They told me they were volunteers from hotels around the area.
They were all wearing look alike (grey) T-shirts.
Might have said something on them, but I didn't take noticed.
I thanked them mach mach and picked up a few bits myself as it was a much needed and welcomed deed they were doing.

• Like 1

I heard Krix Luther held one of his boot camp cleanups. I wonder if that was it. Kind of sounds like one of the Green Club activities organized by SEEK, but I am cc'ed on all their activities and didn't see anything. Steelepulse, do you know what group it was?

I know a Western couple who have lived here for a number of years who have taken it upon themselves to clean Nai Harn and the surrounding beaches at least once a week. The last time they did a clean up of Nai Harn, they came away with ten bags of trash. I have also noticed some of the Thai artists in the area on the beaches in the morning taking away trash and various other items that have washed up on the shore to make recycled art.

I don't have anything to do with Krix Luther and his boot camp cleanups, but I do know that the Kamala Green Club has been active recently in beach cleanups.

I was at Nai Harn early Saturday morning and it was looking a lot cleaner than it initially had - I picked up a few items of trash I found, as well as my dog's contribution, and headed home after that. In a perfect world, all of us who live here and actually care about the beaches would do our part in picking up bits and pieces when we are on the beach ... I'm sure some of the posters on this forum will slaughter me for having that mentality, but it seems like an easy solution.

• Like 2

Naiharn and yanui this afternoon

The only thing I see in the picture on the left is a massive algae bloom along the sand. These clean ups might make everyone feel warm and fuzzy inside, however the real issues are the toxicity of the seawater and silt run off. As the overdevelopment continues, those problems worsen every month. With the exeception of isolated spots like Ao Sane and Bananna beach...all of the coral around Phuket is DEAD. What does picking up a few Big C and Tesco bags do if the marine ecosystem has already perished and is set to come under even more pressure as high season approaches?

The bulk of the trash that I see left on the beaches comes from Thais. For example go up to the park at Nai Yarn on new years day and have a look at the trash left there by Thai families, unbelievable. And so to the second problem, what good will returning the beaches to Thai people do when they treat the beaches like a garbage dump?

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn
  • Like 1

<snip>

The bulk of the trash that I see left on the beaches comes from Thais. For example go up to the park at Nai Yarn on new years day and have a look at the trash left there by Thai families, unbelievable. And so to the second problem, what good will returning the beaches to Thai people do when they treat the beaches like a garbage dump?

While that is all true, it would be good if local government would supply garbage bins along the beaches. I walk Kata beach each day and see the rubbish left from the previous night's picnic. But not one garbage bin in sight.Used to be a couple last year but removed by Kata Tesibaan.

• Like 1

They've got to get serious about educating the Thais and rubbish, really. I was up in Pai at a waterfall/beauty spot and there they were, snapping away with their Nikons, straight out of their Benz, simply dropping cans and food containers where they stood. jawdropping bloody ignorance that cannot be blamed on just the 'lower classes'.

Oh and BTW, a Thai friend made a point of picking up discarded beer bottles as we were all walking along Patong beach. On New Year's Eve. If he cared, why can't the rest of them?

Edited by jpeg
  • Like 1

They've got to get serious about educating the Thais and rubbish, really. I was up in Pai at a waterfall/beauty spot and there they were, snapping away with their Nikons, straight out of their Benz, simply dropping cans and food containers where they stood. jawdropping bloody ignorance that cannot be blamed on just the 'lower classes'.

Oh and BTW, a Thai friend made a point of picking up discarded beer bottles as we were all walking along Patong beach. On New Year's Eve. If he cared, why can't the rest of them?

Yes... it is not ALL of them, just the majority. First time I met my girlfriends mother (who is very poor from a village down south) we went to a local fair. After we finished our takeaway food she spent 10 minutes walking around the fair to find a garbage bin. All of the other Thais around us just dumped their rubbish against a tree.

I was also walking on the beach in Khao Lak last year and met a beautiful young Thai girl from Hat Yai. She was a doctor working in forensics. She was walking along the beach collecting glass from broken bottles strewn by some Thai men drinking nearby.

• Like 2

I know a Western couple who have lived here for a number of years who have taken it upon themselves to clean Nai Harn and the surrounding beaches at least once a week. The last time they did a clean up of Nai Harn, they came away with ten bags of trash. I have also noticed some of the Thai artists in the area on the beaches in the morning taking away trash and various other items that have washed up on the shore to make recycled art.

I don't have anything to do with Krix Luther and his boot camp cleanups, but I do know that the Kamala Green Club has been active recently in beach cleanups.

I was at Nai Harn early Saturday morning and it was looking a lot cleaner than it initially had - I picked up a few items of trash I found, as well as my dog's contribution, and headed home after that. In a perfect world, all of us who live here and actually care about the beaches would do our part in picking up bits and pieces when we are on the beach ... I'm sure some of the posters on this forum will slaughter me for having that mentality, but it seems like an easy solution.

I have always picked up trash. It gets a bit discouraging when two 30 kilo feed bags are filled on a 20 meter stretch of beach.

Of course now, it is beyond repair ( Mid Bang-Tao aka Laypang

)post-179390-0-74641600-1409319395_thumb.

Drove through there today, beach looked great. Still a bit of cleaning to do where places have disappeared.

Noticed one of the restaurants had snuck a couple of tables and umbrellas on the west side of that little road along the beach front. The creep has begun!

On a separate note, I heard all the speedboats who operate their charter businesses from Rawai Beach, at high tide, have been/ or will be given their marching orders. Long tails can stay. See what happens.

• Like 1

Drove through there today, beach looked great. Still a bit of cleaning to do where places have disappeared.

Noticed one of the restaurants had snuck a couple of tables and umbrellas on the west side of that little road along the beach front. The creep has begun!

On a separate note, I heard all the speedboats who operate their charter businesses from Rawai Beach, at high tide, have been/ or will be given their marching orders. Long tails can stay. See what happens.

Interesting! I will have to ask my landlord's son about that, as he is the president of the Rawai long-tail association.

Interesting! I will have to ask my landlord's son about that, as he is the president of the Rawai long-tail association.

Is he the one who owns 20 million baht worth of plastic chairs?

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn
  • Like 1

Naiharn and yanui this afternoon

The only thing I see in the picture on the left is a massive algae bloom along the sand. These clean ups might make everyone feel warm and fuzzy inside, however the real issues are the toxicity of the seawater and silt run off. As the overdevelopment continues, those problems worsen every month. With the exeception of isolated spots like Ao Sane and Bananna beach...all of the coral around Phuket is DEAD. What does picking up a few Big C and Tesco bags do if the marine ecosystem has already perished and is set to come under even more pressure as high season approaches?

Zzzzzzzzzzzz..........violin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTC.gifsaai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCd.gif

I have to agree. When someone who supposedly lives here doesn't know the difference between coral and sand, compared to a algae bloom, what can one say…