Prayuth must not forget what Thais want

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL
Prayuth must not forget what Thais want
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- It now comes down to fulfilling public trust and hopes - failure will only widen our divisions

It may be giving Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha too much burden - or credit - if we were to say the success or failure of the reform process depends entirely on him. The process, after all, has begun to stutter already, with criticism and scepticism loud and clear over the outlook of the interim Parliament and the prospects of the reform council. But certainly, if we are to call on the head of the National Council for Peace and Order, who now will double as prime minister, to ensure that Thailand’s political deadlock won't get stickier, that's not too much to ask.

Thaksin Shinawatra has started making noises again, coincidentally just a few days before Prayuth became interim prime minister, unopposed. The man in exile asked his visitors to "cooperate" with the military junta to the best of their abilities, but many are reading between the lines of his statement. He might be smelling blood, some analysts say. Whatever his motives, Thaksin has increased the heat in the kitchen.

But Thaksin is politically gone. And that's the main point, because Prayuth's task is even more delicate now. The apparent decline in the NCPO's popularity can lead to a dangerous situation where the political deadlock worsens but the Thai people have absolute no alternatives. The NCPO was able to restore a semblance of peace thanks to two main factors: The active military checkpoints and the decisions among the Thai public to give it a try.

In short, the guns and the faith have contributed to the fragile peace. The guns have remained "friendly" because the faith is still there. The status quo has been endangered by recent developments and the political fact that no honeymoon lasts forever. Prayuth doubling as prime minister is not going to foster a second honeymoon.

Make no mistake: Some NCPO moves, no matter how badly they have been criticised, are in fact understandable. The interim charter, for example, features the ugly truth about power seizure and the need to empower coup-makers. But it's imperative that Prayuth take the criticism seriously and not think the critics misunderstand him. More important still, Prayuth must realise that his countrymen want democratic reform and he has the biggest promise of his life to keep.

Thailand has gone through abuses of democracy. Now the situation has changed. We are awaiting true democracy at the temporary expense of freedom and liberty. From the now-familiar NCPO song being played day in and day out, it looks like Prayuth understands his task. However, he must also understand that the power to carry out the task derives more from the people's trust than the roadblocks manned by his soldiers.

Thailand's situation is different from that after the 2006 coup and the 2010 crackdown on the red shirts. The current deadlock is sticky, considering the relentless protests against the Thaksin regime. This means that, if the NCPO lets down those who trust it, the impasse could become even bigger than in pre-coup days. The country cannot afford to be divided into two camps of no-hopers.

In short, the NCPO cannot let itself be corrupted. It cannot abuse its power. The reform process will certainly involve a lot of people and there will be things and ideas that even Prayuth cannot control. What he can control is the NCPO itself, and now his Cabinet. The coup-makers must set good examples, stay away from temptation, heed the calls for assets declaration - and never be mistaken about what the people truly want.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Prayuth-must-not-forget-what-Thais-want-30241563.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-23

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed reading that.

Though I don't follow the politics to judge the veracity of the argument.

Do the Thai people believe that the current changes being undertaken by the Military Management for the good of the Kingdom, for themselves personally?

• Like 2

What do Thai's want, that is a good question , because I have not seen anyone from this present junta ask any genuine Thai, what do you want, all I have noticed so far, the military have bulldozed the freedom factor and lets face it most wouldn't know about Democracy and what they do know you could print on the back of a postage stamp, the out look for Thailand , Business as usual coffee1.gif

• Like 1

A few posts have been removed from view. Please abide by our new forum rule which is in place while we are under martial law:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/727616-zero-tolerance-for-disruptive-behaviour-during-martial-law/

Extraordinary events are taking place once again, and it is important that this venue remains a source of reliable and accurate information so that those needing information to keep their families safe and informed are able to do so without finding a forum cluttered up with senseless fighting, rumours and speculation.

For the time being we will have a zero tolerance policy towards:

- Abusive behaviour towards others.

- Rumour mongering, speculation, or other inflammatory posts.

- Political lobbying or propaganda of any kind.

- Abusing the report system.

Posts in violation will be deleted without comment and posting rights removed.

It is time to set aside your bickering and arguments and help keep others informed. We thank you in advance for your co-operation.

wai2.gif

I know a lot of Thai's across the community from fairly High So's to the dirt poorest people living in unsanitary old wooden homes in the sticks. I've not met one yet who is truly interested in what's best for the country; their main priority is what's best for them personally and/or their families. Getting enough money to improve lives is the main theme, and lets be honest, that's the main interest in just about any country. After all; when you lived in your own country did you spend much time thinking about 'what's best for the country ' ? I doubt it because personal survival always comes first.

In short; people want more money in their pockets to do things that will improve their lifestyles and unless any Government can provide enough of it and the ways and means of getting it honestly, the cycle of corruption and general unhappiness will continue.

And as your example shows: money in the pocket is never enough....not for the poor, and not if the poor get high so....it is never enough.

So good politicians don't provide money, they provide dreams of a better future....It is cheaper and works the same.

• Like 1

I know a lot of Thai's across the community from fairly High So's to the dirt poorest people living in unsanitary old wooden homes in the sticks. I've not met one yet who is truly interested in what's best for the country; their main priority is what's best for them personally and/or their families. Getting enough money to improve lives is the main theme, and lets be honest, that's the main interest in just about any country. After all; when you lived in your own country did you spend much time thinking about 'what's best for the country ' ? I doubt it because personal survival always comes first.

In short; people want more money in their pockets to do things that will improve their lifestyles and unless any Government can provide enough of it and the ways and means of getting it honestly, the cycle of corruption and general unhappiness will continue.

Well Trainman, easy to see that your glass is half empty.. get a life mate..

He's constantly asking for 'trust'. Fact is, without any opposition/transparency, no self imposed leader in any country in the world can truly expect it. Unless you're Kim Jong Il. He really should loosten the grip a tad and allow others to join in with this reform. After all, that's what 'democracy' means huh.png

• Like 1

After all; when you lived in your own country did you spend much time thinking about 'what's best for the country ' ? I doubt it because personal survival always comes first.

Yes, I thought about what was best for my country when serving for over 20 years. I found that doing so enabled me to serve and make a decent living at the same time. Service, in or out of uniform, is an alien concept possibly due in part to the dynamics of capitalism. While I embrace capitalism, it seems to foster the "Me, Me, Me", "Take, Take, Take" mentality.

Volunteering is a great way to break this dynamic and I don't have any idea if the Thai culture follows this. From my perspective, the wearing of saffron seems to satisfy most since the relationship between religion and state are intertwined.

From the number of poor, disabled and maimed that are seen begging on the streets, I think that taking care of one another and service is a secondary concept.

I agree that survival is the main goal of most humans. How that is achieved varies from place to place. From my experience observing and interacting with the local vendors/merchants/drivers, the mantra seems to be "Get as much as you can, From as many as you can, As often as you can, Because you can".

Beg merit later.

In short, the NCPO cannot let itself be corrupted. It cannot abuse its power. The reform process will certainly involve a lot of people and there will be things and ideas that even Prayuth cannot control. What he can control is the NCPO itself, and now his Cabinet. The coup-makers must set good examples, stay away from temptation, heed the calls for assets declaration - and never be mistaken about what the people truly want.

Agreed, surely it isn't too much to ask for this group to put personal gain on the back burner, to spend a few years, at a decent salary, trying to make their country a better place for all Thais.

What do Thai's want, that is a good question , because I have not seen anyone from this present junta ask any genuine Thai, what do you want, all I have noticed so far, the military have bulldozed the freedom factor and lets face it most wouldn't know about Democracy and what they do know you could print on the back of a postage stamp, the out look for Thailand , Business as usual coffee1.gif

All I want is for them to respect my vote.

I think that a lot of Thais want only that.

As in all things, you earn respect, when you show me that you respect your own vote well enough to use it responsibly, i'll respect it. Voting for thugs, thieves and scoff laws isn't going to cut it.

• Like 2

Here in Isaan all they want is some politician who gives the most baht, regardless of party, most dont even know what they are voting for.

I'm sure that you wouldn't go around telling them that. Thais are getting more educated and the results of doing so might 'surprise' you.

As in all things, you earn respect, when you show me that you respect your own vote well enough to use it responsibly, i'll respect it. Voting for thugs, thieves and scoff laws isn't going to cut it.

Ah right, so you condone a system that respects only one kind of vote and not the other kind, right?

Anyway, I'm not asking you to respect my vote, and I don;t have to show you anything at all.

You are only a foreigner, so your opinion matters not.

• Like 2

Agreed, surely it isn't too much to ask for this group to put personal gain on the back burner, to spend a few years, at a decent salary, trying to make their country a better place for all Thais.

How on earth will you know if the coup makers don't stay away from temptation?

You've heard what they say about power, and absolute power?

Edited by Thanet

What Prayuth has pulled off in Phuket has been a miracle. The only way it could have done was through military action. Phuket was a cesspool of corruption. I like results. I've heard of no actions that were motivated by greed. I remain wary and very hopeful that we will see a new Thailand soon emerge. I want to believe that Prayuth is the best thing that ever happened to the Land of Smiles.

There will be a time of corruption of someone under Prayuth. And this will be test. If Prayuth removes one of his own buddies with the iron fist and throw him into jail than he is a real great leader!

If not...than he is just same same.....

• Like 2

"Prayuth must not forget what Thais want"

And if they want different things? We all know where that led last time round.

Harsh as it may seem, people need to be given what they need, not what they want.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

Okay, okay, raise the minimum wage a little bit. How many Thais will put their hand up for this ?

What about all those Cambodians here ? Some are legal, some are illegal. Okay, all of them, send them back home to Cambodia. This might jack up pay for the Thais who are doing jobs for under 300/400 baht a day. How many Thais will put their hands up for this ?

Now then, IF more Thais put their hands up for these ideas than those who have their hands down, well, surely, that's what the Thais want. Well, most of them, anyway.
Right, show of hands please !
:)

Increasing social awareness and behavior in Thai society would have to be a top priority. Start with the education system. Thais act according to what they have learned and from examples of authorities. Greed, materialism, lack of empathy are characteristics for Thai society today. Just see how they behave on the streets, no respect for each other and definitely not for the law.

• Like 1

It's not up to the junta or even the NCPO, it's up to the NRC and CDC.

"respect my vote even after it has been counted and even if I voted for another party"

Anyway, let PM Prayuth with the NLA take care of the day-to-day administration to keep the country running. At the same time help the NRC / CDC to define a broader base for a real democracy in Thailand.

• Like 1