Palestinian President Abbas ready to seek peace pact on his own

webfact

What I really don't get is that I don't hear from the Palestinian People. I do not believe that Hamas is the voice of the people.

If you took a poll I wonder what the people of Palestine would say . Fight with Israel or make peace. So far we have only heard from the leader and I do not think

this is the desires of the people.

Does a mother want her child in the front lines NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What about all of the mothers who sent their children to suicide bomb before the wall was built?

One of them was a 16 year old girl

So yes, I think many of them DO want their children to die

• Like 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaza uses human shields. thumbsup.gif

Will Israel and its apologists ever grow weary of using this type of dehumanizing rhetoric to justify Israel's state sponsored massacre of innocent children?

The kind of rhetoric you just used is actually hate speech. You are suggesting it is the government policy of Israel to intentionally mass murder innocent children. That is a total lie. Those pushing this new era blood libel lie against the Jews are a big part of the reason antisemitism is on the rise internationally.

Intentionally edited out your absurd comment about overeating. Irrelevant.

It is not hate speech - we have seen the IDF using Palestinian children as human shields, and blowing up schools, hospitals and power stations. The IDF also targets pregnant women. The list of the murder of innocents by the IDF can go on.

This is why Israel is responsible for the rise in anti Semitism. Their actions put decent Jewish people in danger, but they don't care

Please prove your assertions

If you replace idf with hamas yhen you would be spot on

• Like 1

I always thought the one with upper hand has better choices, but I guess I was wrong.

No, you were right. Israel is the big kid on the block, and can choose between peace and continued conflict.

Israel should just bent over backwards because this is what Palestinians want.

Mind you Palestinians have not even once agreed to compromise , not even once.

There never was a state of Palestine and Jerusalem was never a capital of non existent country, yet Palestinians want it, so must be given.

They waged wars and lost, well too bad, give them the land back anyway.

Almost 2 million Arabs , Palestinians live in Israel and are Israeli citizens, but who cares, give them more.

Your tone makes it really clear that you resent Palestinians for...whatever. Anything. Just being there. All of your statements are patently incorrect, as well as morally objectionable. This is what I have come to expect from the Zionist/Israeli apologists and warmongers that inhabit these pages.

Quote: I always thought the one with upper hand has better choices, but I guess I was wrong.

No, you were right. Israel is the big kid on the block, and can choose between peace and continued conflict. I think that peace is the better choice. I'm just not sure that those Zionist colonists that keep stealing land agree.

Quote: Israel should just bent over backwards because this is what Palestinians want.

No, I think that Palestine is not asking for too much. Some things - such as right of return - may be a bit of an ambit claim to kick off negotiations about compensation, but other than that, most things that the PLO asks for are reasonable.

Quote: Mind you Palestinians have not even once agreed to compromise , not even once.

Totally incorrect. Abbas has indicated a willingness to swap land for some parts of Palestine that are best positioned to remain part of Israel. Even the "right of return" has been acknowledged as something to be discussed.

Quote: There never was a state of Palestine and Jerusalem was never a capital of non existent country, yet Palestinians want it, so must be given.

Palestine does exist, It is comprised of the occupied territories identified by the UN as being the basis of a Palestinian state. East Jerusalem was ear-marked to be the capital. Sure, Israel has been frantically building more and more units there to try to head off this possibility. And it may not be given to either side. There have been high level suggestions of an "international" Jerusalem (bet Israel rejects that one too!)

Also, Palestine would be a recognised, fully fledged member of the UN - as is Israel - except for the paranoid antagonism of the US and Israel.

Quote: They waged wars and lost, well too bad, give them the land back anyway.

Palestine has waged an on-off insurgency against the Israeli occupiers, never a war.

Quote: Almost 2 million Arabs , Palestinians live in Israel and are Israeli citizens, but who cares, give them more.

Yes, and Palestinians who live in the occupied territories are not Israeli citizens, and quite obviously want to have their own government, not one that practices discrimination against them. They are not asking for more - they are asking for what was promised them in UN resolutions.

In fact, it is Israel that clearly does not want peace. The successive governments of Israel over the last decade and more have danced to the tune of the Zionist settlers who want to take over the whole of Palestine. They want the bits of land that they believe some supernatural being promised them more many years ago. And so continue to make up any old justification or blame the Palestinians for the failure of peace efforts. Sadly, Israel is creating a really dark future for itself by its refusal to tolerate a 2 state solution.

The third sentence in this quote is an interesting development that seems to have gone overlooked:

Hamas Pledges Support For International Criminal Court Bid As Abbas Urges Resumption Of Talks

Egypt will invite Palestinian and Israeli delegations to Cairo to resume truce talks that ended Tuesday without a lasting deal, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said Saturday after meeting with his Egyptian counterpart Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, Agence France-Presse reported. “My main goal is for the truce talks to resume in Egypt as soon as possible to avoid more casualties and sacrifices,” Abbas said at a news conference.

Abbas’ announcement came just hours after Hamas said it would support any Palestinian bid to join the International Criminal Court, or ICC.

http://www.ibtimes.com/hamas-pledges-support-international-criminal-court-bid-abbas-urges-resumption-talks-1667212

If it is suggested that the reduced causalities are the intentional aim of Hamas I reject this.

There is something to be said that the vast majority of Israeli casualties were combatants. Not civilians. The flip side to the coin is in stark contrast.

Thank you for the introduction to this line of thinking. I responded with what I thought was said by the disproportionate numbers. Would you elaborate and tell us what you think the numbers mean?

What I see with these numbers is who is actually doing terrorising. And it is NOT the 'western branded' terror group, Hamas. Israel targets civilian which leads to the entire population being terrorised, knowing that they are indeed viewed as fair game by IDF, The air campaign was particularly terrorising for the civilian population in Gaza.

The flip side being that the majority of Israeli casualties were combatants. They were not terrorised by definition because they are trained to expect to be killed or wounded.

• Like 1

he flip side being that the majority of Israeli casualties were combatants. They were not terrorised by definition because they are trained to expect to be killed or wounded.

The whole country of Israel has been "terrorized" for years by Palestinian suicide bombers and rockets killing people, hurting people and disrupting daily life.

Edited by Ulysses G.

If it is suggested that the reduced causalities are the intentional aim of Hamas I reject this.

There is something to be said that the vast majority of Israeli casualties were combatants. Not civilians. The flip side to the coin is in stark contrast.

Thank you for the introduction to this line of thinking. I responded with what I thought was said by the disproportionate numbers. Would you elaborate and tell us what you think the numbers mean?

What I see with these numbers is who is actually doing terrorising. And it is NOT the 'western branded' terror group, Hamas. Israel targets civilian which leads to the entire population being terrorised, knowing that they are indeed viewed as fair game by IDF, The air campaign was particularly terrorising for the civilian population in Gaza.

The flip side being that the majority of Israeli casualties were combatants. They were not terrorised by definition because they are trained to expect to be killed or wounded.

Unfortunately, I think, increasingly, your position is not tenable. Example: Besides even the King of Saudi Arabia blaming Hamas for starting this conflict but also clearly indicting Hamas for terrorizing its people, Hamas TV notes the shocking claim that they are all civilians (

) and that therefore even the jihadi fighters who die are civilians. With this logic we begin to see how insidious the spread of such reasoning begins to seed the media. Casualties for Israel are divided up as military and civilian whereas many Gaza casualties are counted as civilians. Indeed, by Hamas' own admission this is design. Therefore, IMO, a persons such as yourself, with a valid point of view, is wedded to some questionable numbers manipulation.

There is no doubt there is disproportionate casualties but this reflects the degree of terrible choices made by Hamas to exploit public opinion against Israel. In Hamas' calculus, the sacrifice of citizens is a valid act in pursuit of their goals. These are well known points. What is odd now is how many Palestinian supporters have taken note of the brutality of Hamas. It is analogous to marching civilians, at gun point, out of the trenches and into machine-gun lanes.

I think it is horrible for any to die in such ways, soldiers included but I am unsure which unsettles me more, this point or rationalizing the goal of conflict should be equal attrition of opponents (and yes, Hamas counts its soldiers as civilians. Any one reporting from these areas are also made to report accordingly). http://www.palwatch.org/main.aspx?fi=157&doc_id=12249

When even Hamas spokesman is on my side, my point is made further:

There are numerous primary source records indicating that Hamas is intentionally increasing the civilian deaths. Likewise, never before in war has one side done so much to limit collateral damage, including calling all the phones in a given area with notification and sufficient time to egress the area.

• Like 2

Rather like the Zionists who call Al Jazeera, RT.com and many other sources "anti-Semitic". Unless of course the story is sympathetic to the Zionist cause..then they are all over it.

In fact, was it not your comrade UC that called Haartez a "liberal rag" when I used that newspaper as a source ?

Al Jazeera is anti Semitic. It would be beyond reasonable to imagine they are not. AJ is a Qatari operation, through and through. Qatar is increasingly the biggest backer of Hamas (and IS), via the Muslim Brotherhood, et al. For a person to suggest that Qatar would create an impartial news service that might... might... even occasionally, if not by accident, produce a point of few favorable to Israel, and have their local population see this, is absurd. Since that is the basic foundation of your point...

I think most posters refer to Al Jazeera's English language edition, which is less obviously biased than the Arabic language

one.

Yes, I vaguely recall some poster previously discussing this. Ok, I see your point. Indeed, AJ USA, while not gaining any broadcast audience, has been noted as having a fabulous organization. Their target audience is miniscule. Whereas Qatar proper aids and abets terrorism at every turn, as in local AJ. Qatar is among the biggest agitators in the Palestinian areas right now. It amazes me how this activity is as such odds with the Saudi King's reprimand of Hamas.

A large number of off-topic posts and replies have been deleted. This thread is not about Zionism. It's not about Jew Spotters. It's not about what is an ethno-religious group, etc. etc..

Re-read the OP and stay on topic.

The third sentence in this quote is an interesting development that seems to have gone overlooked:

Hamas Pledges Support For International Criminal Court Bid As Abbas Urges Resumption Of Talks

Egypt will invite Palestinian and Israeli delegations to Cairo to resume truce talks that ended Tuesday without a lasting deal, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said Saturday after meeting with his Egyptian counterpart Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, Agence France-Presse reported. “My main goal is for the truce talks to resume in Egypt as soon as possible to avoid more casualties and sacrifices,” Abbas said at a news conference.

Abbas’ announcement came just hours after Hamas said it would support any Palestinian bid to join the International Criminal Court, or ICC.

http://www.ibtimes.com/hamas-pledges-support-international-criminal-court-bid-abbas-urges-resumption-talks-1667212

Interesting. The article states that Abbas was under domestic pressure to join the ICC, and at the same time it mentions:

With Hamas now pledging its support, the pressure on Abbas is likely to increase. If Palestine does join the ICC, however, Hamas itself could also be investigated for its rocket attacks on Israel.

Wondering if this is not one of the Palestinian domestic maneuvering, a point earner for Abbas, and possible awkwardness for some Hamas leaders (and political rivals). Remains to be seen if such a motion would be accepted, even with Hamas's consent - not sure if the is a precedent for a divided nation to join up.

I always thought the one with upper hand has better choices, but I guess I was wrong.

No, you were right. Israel is the big kid on the block, and can choose between peace and continued conflict.

Israel should just bent over backwards because this is what Palestinians want.

Mind you Palestinians have not even once agreed to compromise , not even once.

There never was a state of Palestine and Jerusalem was never a capital of non existent country, yet Palestinians want it, so must be given.

They waged wars and lost, well too bad, give them the land back anyway.

Almost 2 million Arabs , Palestinians live in Israel and are Israeli citizens, but who cares, give them more.

Your tone makes it really clear that you resent Palestinians for...whatever. Anything. Just being there. All of your statements are patently incorrect, as well as morally objectionable. This is what I have come to expect from the Zionist/Israeli apologists and warmongers that inhabit these pages.

Quote: I always thought the one with upper hand has better choices, but I guess I was wrong.

No, you were right. Israel is the big kid on the block, and can choose between peace and continued conflict. I think that peace is the better choice. I'm just not sure that those Zionist colonists that keep stealing land agree.

Quote: Israel should just bent over backwards because this is what Palestinians want.

No, I think that Palestine is not asking for too much. Some things - such as right of return - may be a bit of an ambit claim to kick off negotiations about compensation, but other than that, most things that the PLO asks for are reasonable.

Quote: Mind you Palestinians have not even once agreed to compromise , not even once.

Totally incorrect. Abbas has indicated a willingness to swap land for some parts of Palestine that are best positioned to remain part of Israel. Even the "right of return" has been acknowledged as something to be discussed.

Quote: There never was a state of Palestine and Jerusalem was never a capital of non existent country, yet Palestinians want it, so must be given.

Palestine does exist, It is comprised of the occupied territories identified by the UN as being the basis of a Palestinian state. East Jerusalem was ear-marked to be the capital. Sure, Israel has been frantically building more and more units there to try to head off this possibility. And it may not be given to either side. There have been high level suggestions of an "international" Jerusalem (bet Israel rejects that one too!)

Also, Palestine would be a recognised, fully fledged member of the UN - as is Israel - except for the paranoid antagonism of the US and Israel.

Quote: They waged wars and lost, well too bad, give them the land back anyway.

Palestine has waged an on-off insurgency against the Israeli occupiers, never a war.

Quote: Almost 2 million Arabs , Palestinians live in Israel and are Israeli citizens, but who cares, give them more.

Yes, and Palestinians who live in the occupied territories are not Israeli citizens, and quite obviously want to have their own government, not one that practices discrimination against them. They are not asking for more - they are asking for what was promised them in UN resolutions.

In fact, it is Israel that clearly does not want peace. The successive governments of Israel over the last decade and more have danced to the tune of the Zionist settlers who want to take over the whole of Palestine. They want the bits of land that they believe some supernatural being promised them more many years ago. And so continue to make up any old justification or blame the Palestinians for the failure of peace efforts. Sadly, Israel is creating a really dark future for itself by its refusal to tolerate a 2 state solution.

So let me get this right.

You being a blind and hateful anti-semite is OK, but me bringing up atrocities and terror by muslims makes me islamophobe.

You resenting anything Israel does, good or bad is OK, but me pointing out the logical and obvious makes me resentful to Palestinians.

Well, since you are so pro Palestinian, may be you can name a few things they have contributed to the world? Besides terror and suicide bombers.whistling.gif

May be i should like and respect them as you do, when they celebrate murder of kids or death of 3000 people in US, in case you forgotten, they were celebrating 9/11 and giving out candies.

Ohhh, let me guess, its also Israel's fault?

On another thread you made claim to have visited the region, i asked you to post exact locations and names, to which you CHOSE not to respond.

Because you have never set a foot in the region.

Reading your drivel of how it is in Israel, is pointless and useless, because you do not have a single clue.

Those 2 million arabs, would never even consider moving or living in arab country, you want to know why?

Because they know they will never have same rights and conditions as they do in Israel.

As for the rest of your "explanations and facts" yet another fiction or vivid imagination or perhaps just lack of knowledge.

So please, save your hate speeches for an arab forum, where you will gain support no matter what rubbish you post.

• Like 1

There's a sizable public in Israel which does not conform with right wing ideas.

Just that no one can find them when its election time.

This is based on your fine understanding of Israel's domestic politics?

Sizable does not mean a majority, and Israel having coalition governments and petty politicians who are more worried about political survival and gains (same as most other countries, including the Palestinians) - often as not, the elected government does not represent a decisive coherent majority.

The current government theoretically controls 68 out of 120 parliament seats. 25 of these belong to two participating parties which would feel better at home at a center-left government. So, things could have gone different when creating the coalition, even if that does not mean that another government would have had the strength and will to carry through a diplomatic move.

And that wouldn't have to do with other factors, such as having Gaza under blockade, Security Barrier between Israel and the West Bank, Iron Dome operational, and regional players busy with their own backyards...?

Of course it would. Unlike Hamas, Israel does its best to protect its citizens. thumbsup.gif

You mean like Netanyahu has just done ...with the blood of 72 young Israelis on his hands... and for what?

... a global PR disaster

... increase in anti Semitism world wide

... strained relations with its US ally

... rockets reduced from less than one per week to zero

... bitterness and hatred of Gazans increased..more Hamas recruits

... concessions made to Gazans (whether they will be honored is a different matter)

... further away from a negotiated peace (maybe that was his intention)

... war crimes investigation

... increased awareness of BDS campaign

... threat of EU arms sanctions and moves for Israeli boycott in several countries (Let Israel pay for Gaza damage with lost orders, I say)

... not even a vote winner for him http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/.premium-1.612958

Was it all really worth it?

• Like 2

1)Lots of dead terrorists, including leaders.

2)A drastic depletion of Hamas' rockets and weapons which will be very difficult to replenish with Egypt firmly against them.

3)A growing strategic alignment between Israel and the moderate Moslem countries

Those who continue to make excuses for Israel's actions, who try to hide its duplicity and murderous intent, share responsibility. Those who try to censor open discussion of Israel's perfidy, and those who try to flood discussions to divert them also share this responsibility.

That snarky paragraph reads to me like a veiled rationale for retaliation against Jews who support the right of Israel to exist and defend herself. In other words, the VAST MAJORITY of global Jews. I realize you tried to qualify that, but I believe unsuccessfully ... you are pushing your rabidly baised anti-Israel POV as some kind of ultimate truthiness.

• Like 1

Those who continue to make excuses for Israel's actions, who try to hide its duplicity and murderous intent, share responsibility.

Those who continue to make excuses for Hamas' actions, who try to hide its duplicity and murderous intent, share responsibility.

In any case, they are indeed positioning themselves as allies of radical Islamist genocidal terrorists.

• Like 1

1)Lots of dead terrorists, including leaders.

2)A drastic depletion of Hamas' rockets and weapons which will be very difficult to replenish with Egypt firmly against them.

3)A growing strategic alignment between Israel and the moderate Moslem countries

1 replaceable

2 replaceable

3 you don't mean the Egyptian dictator Sisi do you? replaceable

all replaceable...unlike 72 young Israelis, who could have been sitting down for a meal with their families tonight or sipping a cold beer on a balmy Mediterranean evening....but for Netanyahu's reckless idiocy and blood lust.

• Like 1

So you measure a state's legitimacy on the number of scientific discoveries.

Whatever happened to your foolish insinuation that Israel has done nothing for the world? cheesy.gif

Where did I write that? No Nobel Prize in Literature for you, UG!

I laud all scientific discoveries Israeli or otherwise.

It's just this childish argument that Israel has produced some excellent scientists therefore ...therefore...what??....they have some fine schools, laboratories, universities that don't get bombed and some fine minds descended from European and American immigrants who benefited from an excellent education. It doesn't make people superior or more moral because they have had more advantages in life.

Who knows what talents could be nurtured if one day Jews and Palestinians start to cooperate in peace.

You forgot to mention their brilliant nuclear program.

Oh, that's right, they don't have a nuclear program, just as they don't have a plan for Eretz Israel.

• Like 1

This is the title of the thread:

Palestinian President Abbas ready to seek peace pact on his own

That is the issue that should be addressed. A number of posts have been deleted and one poster in these threads is on suspension. There are others than think that the topic is open season on either Jews, Israel, Muslims, Palestinians are sorely wrong.

Continue and you will be put on suspension.

If you cannot discuss the topic, please don't post.

palestine-recognition-plan-hamas.si.jpg

Hamas and the Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas have reportedly agreed on a three-stage plan that would create an independent Palestinian state, first of all calling on the US to come up with defined borders that Israel would agree with.

According to the Saudi daily Asharq Al-Awsat the agreement was reached between Abbas and Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal in Doha. According to the initiative, the US serving as a mediator in negotiations will be given a four month deadline to reach an agreement with Israel and demarcate the map.

http://rt.com/news/183984-palestine-recognition-plan-hamas/

Good to see the prospects of a Unity Government moving ahead. thumbsup.gif The key part of Abbas' plan is cornering Israel into demarcating a map. If/when they refuse to do it, that's when he goes to the UN General Assembly and/or the International Criminal Court.

It's almost as if you can feel the ire emanating from Tel Aviv. clap2.gif

I really think that Abbas has a chance of finally getting this done. In the words of MLK, "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice". wink.png

• Like 2

palestine-recognition-plan-hamas.si.jpg

Hamas and the Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas have reportedly agreed on a three-stage plan that would create an independent Palestinian state, first of all calling on the US to come up with defined borders that Israel would agree with.

According to the Saudi daily Asharq Al-Awsat the agreement was reached between Abbas and Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal in Doha. According to the initiative, the US serving as a mediator in negotiations will be given a four month deadline to reach an agreement with Israel and demarcate the map.

http://rt.com/news/183984-palestine-recognition-plan-hamas/

Good to see the prospects of a Unity Government moving ahead. thumbsup.gif The key part of Abbas' plan is cornering Israel into demarcating a map. If/when they refuse to do it, that's when he goes to the UN General Assembly and/or the International Criminal Court.

It's almost as if you can feel the ire emanating from Tel Aviv. clap2.gif

I really think that Abbas has a chance of finally getting this done. In the words of MLK, "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice". wink.png

It is good to see the prospects of the Unity Government moving ahead....I have a shivering cold fear though that, as with the last impetus towards a Unity Government, this progress will see further Israeli disruption to the process. I dread what that disruption may be. I just hope it is not more dead children.

I have to admire Khaled Meshaai too....and before ANYONE quotes me out of context (and the capitilisation should make it clear to whom I am referring lol)..... for the size of his balls. He has a highly militarised country, with a ruthless and highly trained spy/assassination agency literally gunning for him, yet he makes his way to Doha for talks.

If Assad can do it, the kudos to him. Peace is sorely needed.

• Like 2

Abbas should request a new UN resolution and request to revoke UN resolution 181.

UN resolution 181 never brought peace in the region.

Furthermore he should claim for justice at the ICC.

This reflects the kind of hatred of Israel that is hopelessly irrational. The Jewish PEOPLE of the world (PEOPLE who are Jews, whether religiously, ethnically, or both) united with the Jewish state of Israel need to take this kind of odious demonization more seriously:

This video provides some excellent background about the mentality of the Israel demonizers and suggests some new aggressive tactics to fight back against this dangerous movement:

It might seem too Jewish "inside baseball" for some but I think it is very informative viewing for all.

She brilliantly ties the Israeli fight against Islamic terrorism to the GLOBAL fight against it.

Now if some westerners choose to side with the Islamic terrorists, so be it, but they need to be made more aware of EXACTLY what they are supporting in doing so.

As far as Hamas being involved in a peace deal, who takes that seriously? Hamas is a racist, genocidal, radical Islamic terrorist movement dedicated to taking over ALL of Israel from the Jews.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The U.N. voting to revoke that historic resolution (which would be vetoed of course) would do much more to delegitimize the U.N. than Israel. The UN's rabid and irrational anti-Israel bias is already well known and documented. It is not surprising that enemies of Israel's very existence would favor such an exercise in blatant hatred against the Jew of nations.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Maybe he will change his mind after the leopard shows its spots once again. There is just NO WAY Israel wants peace with this sort of provocation. Boooooo!

Israel is facing increasing international pressure after saying it plans to seize 400 hectares of Palestinian land in the Bethlehem area in the south of the occupied West Bank.