Now require HIV testing.

I am teaching at a university and it is time to renew our visas and work permits.

We have to provide the usual health certificate showing we don't have Leprosy, TB, Third stage syphilis and Elephantiasis but this time we need to also have an HIV test.

Is that a new requirement?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the medical check form the io provides for medical statement for visas such as non imm o a, it specifically states that there should be no requirement for hiv status. I would be agast if this had change and very very surprised.

Might be an add on from your university

you have to have serotology for syphilis(covers other STD's)

not heard that HIV is asked for

Just been informed by HR of requirements

Not sure if the govt would dare ask for this as it is standard international practice to prohibit involuntary HIV testing since it is not airborne and not something that can be fixed, unlike syphilis and is purely discrimination and stigmatisation. The Thai govt was very upset when middle eastern countries introduced HIV testing for Thai labourers and got it stopped, although of course the problem with Saudi was resolved by a complete ban on Thai labour after the jewellery heist. In the early 90s the Thai BOI required HIV testing for its one stop PR application processing but they were unable to get PR for anyone anyway and the scheme was dropped.

but with the above being said, on for my very first WP through Chonburi DOL, nearly 14 years ago, an HIV test was required, now this may have been a "local" requirement and not official goverment policy, but it was asked for and done none the less, but when I changed jobs, not required second time around, so maybe there was a brief time in the past where it was required under certain DOL's

In the case of the OP, as we sure its the DOL is asking for this and not the University as part its HR process ?

Edited by Soutpeel

There is still no real justification for it though, other than to discriminate. I can't think of any justifiable reason as to why it would be requested.

I guess when our next member of staff goes to renew their work permit we will see.

There is free and anonymous testing in BKK at a clinic subsidized by the US. Can't remember the name of the clinic which is located a hospital I am afraid. Beautiful, clean place to go with a friendly staff. This in the case that you want to test and keep it to yourself before testing at a regular hospital.

I believe the test required for work permit is 3rd stage syphilis which starts to affect the mind. Normal syphilis is easily treated and not transmitted easily.

Is elephantitus contagious?

Someone told me working overseas as a cook required hiv test

HIV status is a problem because even though it has become much cheaper and easier to manage to stay alive with it for many decades ... it STILL carries a horrible SOCIAL STIGMA that other common (and even more quickly fatal) diseases don't. So it is a legitimate area of controversy as to who to force to test and when and how private the results are (or not).

Is this part of a compulsory annual health check by the employer rather than the Labour Dept or Immigration Dept?

On the industrial estates, factory workers are routinely checked, usually annually, for all sorts of things including normal health checks for cholesterol, blood sugar level, etc. and less normal health checks more like employer information checks such as HIV and drug use.

Are you worried about the result ? Sounds like a good idea to me.

Does having HIV change the way you teach?

I don't think so.

Rules are rules, but I don't see why they need to know unless they are covering his insurance or he's teaching a contact sport.