Thai Transport Ministry: No leniency for overweight trucks

webfact

Transport Ministry: No leniency for overweight trucks

BANGKOK, 29 August 2014 (NNT) - The Transport Ministry has resolved not to yield to a leniency request by operators of 24-wheel trucks to carry goods heavier than the 50.5-ton limit.

The decision was announced by Permanent Secretary for Transport Soithip Trisuddhi after her meeting with the truck operators.

According to her, these trucks, with 7 axles and 24 wheels, are not allowed to carry more than 50.5 tons of goods as it is against the rules set by the Department of Highways.

At the meeting, the Transport Ministry and the truck operators also signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to accept the result of a study to be conducted on truck size and weight limits.

Ms. Soithip said however the ministry would look into a proposal by truck operators that owners of the cargoes on overweight trucks should share responsibilities with truck drivers who mostly become the only target of such an arrest.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-08-29 footer_n.gif

i think they mean 50 tonnes gross weight, and not 50 tonne load.in the uk the max is 44 tonne gross, unless u talk about heavy special haulage( stgo class 3).

but when i look how they build the roads here, it shoud be 38 tonnes, as it was in europe years ago.

no wonder the roads are very bad where there is lots of trucks.

• Like 2

I for one supports leniency. No monetary penalty imposed.

Should the truck be found to exceed the legal weight limit, the truck shall be forced to carry double the legal weight up and down a 15-degree incline 2km long.

In engineering terms, stress test to the design limit.

Edited by trogers

i think they mean 50 tonnes gross weight, and not 50 tonne load.in the uk the max is 44 tonne gross, unless u talk about heavy special haulage( stgo class 3).

but when i look how they build the roads here, it shoud be 38 tonnes, as it was in europe years ago.

Less weight means more trucks, more fuel consumption, higher prices.

I don't think the roads here are bad in average.

• Like 1

I have seen the same statement many times over the last 4 decades. It is like old beer in a new bottle. The crack down will be on trucks operators that have not paid their dues.

In the past when we were loading out trucks, with cargo to be shipped through the world, we knew the weight well in advance. The biggest problem we had was not the weight but, 40 Ft. trailers that had no breaks, and no lock downs for the containers. We stared inspecting the vehicles before they were allowed on company property, and rejected all unsafe equipment. The owners of the trucking companies were told, fix the process problem, no more shipment with your company until you do.

OH! The company I worked for was Thai owned company.

when you see smaller trucks with "goods sticking 3 metres out the back and well over 3 metres high I suppose you can understand why the bigger trucks want to do the same thing. It is pathetic the way that the over loaded trucks are allowed on the roads with "special" payments to the police, they are that dangerous it isnt funny, a strong wind or sharp corner and they simply fall over, even when they hit a rut the whole truck has problems staying in the lane due to the bounce effect from overloading on the axles and the useless drivers sit in the fast lane doing 50 k because they cant go any faster without crashing but dont want to drive in the correct lane, these people are idiots..

Now they are scraping the bottom of the crack down barrel

I am sure of that they will come up with more great crack downs next week. How many great crack downs have we got this week? The crack down on the Beer girls, The new stickers on the Cig packs crack down, the inclusion of Patriosm and Thai history in the Soap operas crack down, am I missing any crack down for this week?

• Like 1

when you see smaller trucks with "goods sticking 3 metres out the back and well over 3 metres high I suppose you can understand why the bigger trucks want to do the same thing. It is pathetic the way that the over loaded trucks are allowed on the roads with "special" payments to the police, they are that dangerous it isnt funny, a strong wind or sharp corner and they simply fall over, even when they hit a rut the whole truck has problems staying in the lane due to the bounce effect from overloading on the axles and the useless drivers sit in the fast lane doing 50 k because they cant go any faster without crashing but dont want to drive in the correct lane, these people are idiots..

Only 3 metres overhang?...

post-121398-0-95658000-1409309276_thumb.

• Like 2

Never seen a lorry with 7 axles!!huh.png

I've seen thousands with 7 or 8 axles. Cab has 3 axles(1 steering 2 driving), trailer 4 or 5. Also used many with 3 + 10 axles for heavy loads. In Australia a 7 axle lorry is common to carry 50 to 55.5 Tonnes.

Never seen a lorry with 7 axles!!huh.png

I've seen thousands with 7 or 8 axles. Cab has 3 axles(1 steering 2 driving), trailer 4 or 5. Also used many with 3 + 10 axles for heavy loads. In Australia a 7 axle lorry is common to carry 50 to 55.5 Tonnes.

Yeah, I've seen plenty of cabs with 3 axles but have never seen a trailer with more than 3 axles.

How in the hell can owners of goods be held responsible for over loaded trucks. This would mean that they will have to supervise the loading. Stupid idea.

In some instances, the owners of the cargo may contract a carrier/truck. When the truck arrives, the owner of the cargo may have the truck loaded over the maximum weight allowed.

There are numerous scenarios that could also include a bribe the driver, the loaders and the outbound scales at the facility where the cargo was loaded.

On a side note. The reference to hell in the first sentence and the "Stupid idea" statement in the last, were of no consequence to the remaining contents of the post.

Less weight means more trucks, more fuel consumption, higher prices.

I don't think the roads here are bad in average.

You don't live where i live.