Tourist Visa Not Honoured By Immigration Officer at Suvarnabhumi!

Hi,

I just returned from Japan yesterday and the immigration officer looked at my Passport for a while and then asked me how long I plan to stay. I stupidly told him, 'about a month' and then he decided not to stamp my second entry on my tourist visa and instead stamped me for one month only!

I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can get my 60 days + 30 days extension still and how to go about it??

Also, don't do what I did and try to downplay your stay because they can apparently call your bluff! I guess I was trying to be modest or something. The truth is, I'm considering staying here long term but haven't decided yet. But obviously I didn't want to get my tourist visa cut short! By the way, I don't work here, so I'm totally following the rules! I have been here for a total of 6 months, though, which may have been what he was upset about, but I know other people have done this for years.

:/

• Like 1

I'm quite sure there's not much you can do at this time. Why did you let him stamp the visa exempt instead of the tourist visa? I had this once where the immigration officer (also at Suvarnabhumi) simply didn't see it. I went back a minute later and he corrected it. If you would have demanded - in a polite way, of course - that he stamps the visa you obviously have, I can't imagine he'd just ignore you. Maybe next time.

• Like 1

Wehave a few post here on occasion by people who want the 30day stamp to save there tourist visa. Op have you considered using the 30 days given do a fast border run and then using your tourist visa. But check to see what the use by date is first to make sure that will work.

• Like 1

Wehave a few post here on occasion by people who want the 30day stamp to save there tourist visa. Op have you considered using the 30 days given do a fast border run and then using your tourist visa. But check to see what the use by date is first to make sure that will work.

You cannot save your tourist visa for later, I tried this last time but the immigration woman insisted that I had to use the tourist visa.

You can go to chaengwatanna goverment office or go back to the immigration at the airport and they will fix it for you . It happened to me once by mistake of the officer and I went back to the airport the next day and they fix it for me.

If actual visa was not marked canceled it would appear officer did what many travelers ask him to do - allow entry visa exempt for shot visit prior to use of the tourist visa on next entry. Does not appear to be any mistake made. You now have a valid visa for new 60 day entry and 30 day extension after your current 30 day stay. If you want to push your luck you could also try to extend the 30 days for 30 days but they might question having valid visa in passport so would not advise it.

• Like 1

It may havr been a genuine mistake and his lack of attention to the stamp he used. It happened to me once and I only noticed a week or two later. I went to the immigration office in Phuket and they re stamped it for the 60 days no problem. I think it happens more often than people realise.

So basically when you entered the officer either ignored or didn't notice your visa and gave you a 30 day visa exempt entry.

As some have said, if your tourist visa expiration date is still a way off, you could use the 30 days you were given and then cross a border and re-enter on the tourist visa.

You are meant to put the visa number on your arrival card. If you left that blank he probably assumed you were without an active visa.

If your tourist visa is about to expire then rather than doing a border crossing after 30 days, go to immigrations now and ask them to change your entry stamp so that you get the 60 day permission to stay which would then be extendable for another 30.

Double check your expiration date (enter before) on your Visa. Your second entry needs to be used by the expiration date as well. That might be why he stamped you in for only 30 days. This happened to me once.

Otherwise, if your visa is not yet expired, go to immigration and they will fix it.

Edited by inbangkok

You cannot save your tourist visa for later, I tried this last time but the immigration woman insisted that I had to use the tourist visa.

I have done that several times.

I show them my visa, and ask if they kindly could just give me 30/day/exempt,

has worked every time for me.

• Like 1

Yes we all know but it appears a mistake happened in the visa holder benefit if he still wants to use the tourist visa.

If using a visa for entry you put that number on the arrival card - if using a re-entry permit you put that number on the card. Always best to point out re-entry being used as they have to manually set date on there stamp.

• Like 2

The visa number.

I have been using the number on the re-entry permit for years....

Presumably if you've been doing it for years your visa is already expired.

If someone put the (dead) visa number on the arrival card, after a quick glance the immigration officer probably would know enough to look for your extension & re-entry permit. They're probably well-used to people doing either, although using the re-entry permit would be the correct thing to do.

leaving it blank would be the most likely to lead to them assuming you had no visa or re-entry permit and giving your 15/30 days unless they scanned the whole passport, which for frequent travellers can be a load of things to look through.

Edited by Suradit69

I have done that several times.

I show them my visa, and ask if they kindly could just give me 30/day/exempt,

has worked every time for me.

I've done it to, but I and my wife had to argue hard on the way out (1 day after entry) for the IO not to cancel the unused visa. So just because you got an exempt stamp doesn't mean you won't have an entry canceled. Edited by sometimewoodworker

Agreed.......Had same scenario around 10 years ago with same end result

7 - 8 years ago (1st time I had used the Re entry Permit) the Immigration officer actually crossed out the Visa (Extension) Number I had entered and wrote in the Re Entry number on the TM6 Card and told me that is the one I should have used. Been doing so ever since. I never leave the desk without checking for the correct validity date first.

Edit: Clarification

Edited by bdenner