Just blowing off a little steam.

Today at 8:30am I went to Jomtien to get a 30 day extension on my Tourist Visa.

Everything went well on that part, but the delegation of responsibility to hand-out stamped passports does not seem to go smoothly.

There is a British man employed by the Thai immigration who is there to assist you with your visa problems.

There was a long queue of individuals with visa issues today, he seems very helpful to assist them.

Apparently another of his duties (from what I observed) is to hand-out your stamped passport after it has been processed.

So I pay my 1900 baht, check my ticket number and wait to be called and pickup my stamped passport.

The immigration girl processing the passports does a bundle of passports, but does not stop to call-out or post the finished numbers on the screen. Instead she just keep on processing the next batch of passports.

When the British imm agent is done assisting his last customer, only then will he walk over, get the finished batch and call out the numbers. He then goes back to his desk with more tourist begin lining up for assistance.

Giving the Thai agent the benefit of the doubt, I assume she just wanted to catch-up on unfinished passports then call out(post) the numbers, but again she just put a batch of completed passport aside to do more, and we (Tourist) patiently waited for the British agent to once again come over and hand-out our passports.

What could have been a 15-30 minute wait turned out to be almost 1 hour for me and other Tourist.

I hope someone from Thai immigration at Jomtien is reading this.

TC.

His boss was quite upset when he came back late from lunch.

Not sure who's boss your refereeing to, but I do not work in Thailand.

Why can't (as a poster mentioned above) streamline this process better.

Why runaround the Brit to handout passports when he is assisting other Tourist.

The Thai imm agent could post finished passports right there at her desk.

TC

• Like 1

Why can't (as a poster mentioned above) streamline this process better.

Why runaround the Brit to handout passports when he is assisting other Tourist.

The Thai imm agent could post finished passports right there at her desk.

Yes, so much can be obtained with little effort, thank you for clarifying it again.

Poor Briton begin given the runaround while trying to earnestly help these disorganized locals!

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

I find Jomtien Immigration very good indeed ! always nice and polite ( myself included...) and always offer a great service! Of course sometimes you have to wait but even if you have to wait a few hours does it really matter? every time i go to immigration i always see the usual farangs who " huff & puff and seem to act a bit twitchy " ( normally the ones that look " pale & white " ) who actually do absolutely nothing all day apart from sit in a bar or watch television all day!

I think some of us need to learn to " chill " (and get out and enjoy the sun a bit more...)

F.J wai2.gif

The person processing passports would lose about 50% of her time calling number in Thai and English (with most customers not understanding number or there own name)/waiting for person to appear/confirm identity and pass to them and then have to go back to normal processing - great chance for errors to be made. Much more effective to have native English speaker take care of this function and less chance for error as his task is dealing with this and customers.

• Like 1

bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif You are on a tourist visa. Sit back relax and enjoy the scenery. Isn't that what you are meant to be doing when on a tourist visa?bah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gif Maybe you should go and spend a day doing a border hop.

He cannot it is illegal now, is it notcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif You are on a tourist visa. Sit back relax and enjoy the scenery. Isn't that what you are meant to be doing when on a tourist visa?bah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gif Maybe you should go and spend a day doing a border hop.

Is is still possible to do border runs. Nothing has been made illegal.

In the HQ Immigration office in Bangkok I wait 2 or 3 hours but after lunch outside the office were close to 500 ppl

But really I understand how you feel, coming back from Myanmar by the friendship bridge, was horrible, the queue was quite long, full of rolinga muslim and other refugees and the queue was the same for all, only thai people can pass easy, was hot, smelly and slow, I tried to ask if there was another queue for tourist but all the people around me inclusive other tired tourist look me and tell me hey is the same queue for all, LOL

OP I would hate to think what your state of mind would be like after one hour in the Chiang Mai immigration office.giggle.gif Relax and enjoy the very pleasant and comfortable surroundings of Patttaya immigration. You don't realise how lucky you are.smile.png

O.K. I was under the impression that after August 12th. it was not possible to do back to back border runs, that was what I was alluding togiggle.gif

He cannot it is illegal now, is it not:cheesy: cheesy.gif

O.K. I was under the impression that after August 12th. it was not possible to do back to back border runs, that was what I was alluding to:giggle:

August 12th was only the date set to enforce in/out visa run rules for exempt entries at the airports.

Runs to get a new entry from a visa can be done without a problem,

In/out visa runs for visa exempt entries after staying for the enter length of allowed stay, leaving and then immediately returning for another one are restricted. Reports indicate one is allowed at the Cambodia border after flying in.

• Like 1