16-Year-Old Student Dies During Hazing

Lite Beer

16-Year-Old Student Dies During Hazing

14094751941409475667l.jpg

By Khaosod Eng.

PRACHUAP KIRI KHAN — A 16-year-old student diagnosed with leukemia died yesterday following a night of hazing by his senior classmates.

The student was brought to the emergency room yesterday morning by a group of other students, staff at Krung Thep Hua Hin Hospital in Prachuap Kiri Khan province told police.

The group told medical staff the student had drowned, and then quickly left the hospital, staff said.

Medical staff immediately rushed the student, identified as Pokai Saengrojrat, to the emergency room but discovered he had been dead for an hour.

Police say the Mr. Pokai was a part of a group of 40 students from a university in Pathum Thani that were participating in hazing activities on Sai Noi Beach. The purpose of the trip was to "initiate" new students through a series of rituals, known among Thais as rub nong.

Vendors at the beach told police they saw the students making campfires, drinking, and organising many hazing activities throughout the night of 29 August.

Em-orn Kongkaew, a restaurant owner on Sai Noi beach, said she saw senior students order freshmen to line up in the sea at around 11 pm and kick them one by one, causing the students to fall back into the water. The activities continued until morning, when the senior students noticed that one of the freshmen was lying face down on the sand and brought him to hospital, Ms. Em-orn said.

"I feel pity for the boy who died, because he was so young. I feel sorry for his parents," Ms. Em-orn said, "The authorities should take care of this. I don't want any other further rub nong incidents that kill people like this."

Mr. Pokai's parents told police their son was diagnosed with leukemia many years ago, although his condition has been improving over the last four years.

"My son asked for our permission to go on a trip to the sea with his friends and senior classmates, so we let him go," said Mr. Pokai's father, Panupong Saengrojrat. "I told him not to drink any alcohol, which he agreed to. But I received phone call from his friends this morning that he was at the hospital. We hurried to see him but he already passed away."

Mr. Pokai's classmates surrendered themselves to police after Mr. Pokai's parents arrived at the hospital, police say.

Police detained 30 of the students and interrogated them, along with other witnesses on the beach. However, police said they have not pressed any charges, as they are still waiting for official autopsy reports to determine the cause of Mr. Pokai’s death.

"The students who participated in rub nong activities insisted Mr. Pokin died on his own, not because he was assaulted," said Pol.Col. Ranapob Pattana, an officer at Hua Hin Police Station. "However, I have sent the body for autopsy at the Police Hospital to find a clear cause of death."

Rub nong rituals are common in many Thai universities and schools. While a number of universities opt for friendly initiation ceremonies, some schools are known for violent and abusive rub nong activities that involve assaulting students and forcing them to drink alcohol.

In recent years progressive student activists have campaigned to end rub nong practices, but defenders of the tradition say it helps promote the ideals of SOTUS - Seniority, Order, Tradition, Unity, and Spirit - among freshmen.

In July 2008, a student at Uthenthawai University died after he was reportedly beaten by a group of senior students during a rub nong ritual.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1409475194

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-08-31

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So terribly sad that any student should be hurt, let alone die, as a result of these stupid and barbaric acts.

A bit of good natured, non-violent fun as an "initiation" is probably fine, and I doubt anyone would complain, but the problems are compounded when underage students add alcohol to the mix.

My heartfelt condolences to the boy's family and friends. So sad to lose his life for nothing.

Please ban these obnoxious and cruel American rituals from Thai colleges.

Unbelievable. Blame America for this?

Thai Visa...believe it or not. It is incredible, the lack of knowledge displayed by some posters.

To be fair, you might want to blame Hollywood and the export of American Television series.

Such a sad story. Bullying in any form is to be abhorred. I am a little confused though, the unfortunate lads age is given as 16, but it then says he was at University. How can this be?

There is a 15 year ole girl at the university I teach at. She attended an International school. I forget what she told me but something about the British curriculum and that enabled her to enter the university.

I had leukemia (ALL) at the age of 3 years and was exempted to participate even at the age of 6 years from most of all school activities. The order was issued to my step parents and school teachers at the time. Furthermore I ad two annual checkups all my life and only neglected it when I moved to Thailand 24 years ago.

With 40 years I had a relapse in Bangkok and the hospitals said stay away from any outdoor activities, holding anything heavy, stop diving and swimming in the ocean. When I carry my boy who is 10kg for over a minute I feel like passing out and have to give it quickly back to my wife or put him on the ground.

If a leukemia patient doesn't die on leukemia, he often has a heart problem or other health problems..

The parents also not at fault should have followed their son to keep an eye on him during the hazing from a distance so they are able to step in.

RIP

• Like 2

This is really disturbing and upsetting! The seniors of that Pathumthani University should have their identities along with that of their immediate families listed in the media and they should be kicked out from the University and never accepted at any Universities or Jobs and should be jailed for a very long time. Society should not tolerate such scum and also their famies should be ostracised!

My condolences to the family of the victim....must have been a bright kid to have been able to enter the Uni at 16 years and what a waste of such a bright life.

I repeat, the seniors involved and their parents should be made to pay. Must have been bad upbringing from loser parents that resulted in these trash!

I had leukemia (ALL) at the age of 3 years and was exempted to participate even at the age of 6 years from most of all school activities. The order was issued to my step parents and school teachers at the time. Furthermore I ad two annual checkups all my life and only neglected it when I moved to Thailand 24 years ago.

With 40 years I had a relapse in Bangkok and the hospitals said stay away from any outdoor activities, holding anything heavy, stop diving and swimming in the ocean. When I carry my boy who is 10kg for over a minute I feel like passing out and have to give it quickly back to my wife or put him on the ground.

If a leukemia patient doesn't die on leukemia, he often has a heart problem or other health problems..

The parents also not at fault should have followed their son to keep an eye on him during the hazing from a distance so they are able to step in.

RIP

Thanks for the information. I was already wondering what the "leukemia" had to do with the case.

It would seem the boy was indeed weak (as in under strength) and should not have participated or being forced through social pressure. Not easy with all kids though.

RIP

You will find hazing in many, many countries. It is certainly not related to American TV. As said before...was present throughout history.

Excuses, I might have been unclear. I meant that the image portrayed by Hollywood and American Television series may have been what lots of people remember nowadays.

Doesn't mean the image was correct, neither that basing your knowledge on Hollywood image is correct. wai.gif

hazing should be banned worldwide , happens everywhere . Sad truth is that the weakest and most vonnurable are the easiest targets .

It not only happens in uni. it happened in coalmines , factory's , army . ect .

If ur a senior u should earn RESPECT not force it .

I feel sad for the parents .

• Like 1

Just ban it, it has never really worked other than put people into Categories which later will turn into school Killings or other violent related problems.

A SCHOOL IS FOR TEACHING AND LEARNING. not for fun, or games, or other things.

• Like 1

Very sad for the boy.

Just another example of 'respect' in this country.

You will respect me because I say so.

You will respect me because I am a couple of years older.

You will respect me because I have/I think/ I like to pretend more money/credit/parents money than you.

I will show no consideration for you but you must respect me.

jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

• Like 2