Flying Thai with an Infant aged 6 months +

David48

Most likely, soonish, I'll be flying Thai with a two Infants aged 1 year old.

I had a mental list of questions so phoned through to one of their Australian Offices.

Fifteen mins to pick up. The lady, an Aussie, I almost wanted to apologise for disturbing her.

The monotone drone and the silent *sighs* spoke of a consultant not having a good day.

Soooo ... I get around to asking about what Thai offer on-board for infants and how is the bulkhead accommodation allocated.

She ... "How old is the sprog?"

Me ... "We have twins, they will be 12 months old when travelling"

She ... "Thai supply bassinets up to 6 months old"

Me ... "But my boys are 12 months, and classed as infants"

She ... "Well, we have nothing for them."

Me ... "How is the seating allocated for those with infants?"

She ... "24 hours before the flight, the staff will look at who requires that (bulkhead) space, the number of wheelchairs etc we are expected to carry". "But the staff will do the best to have you made comfortable."

Me ... "So, it the flight is near capacity, the boys will be sat on our laps for the entire 10 hour flight?

She ... "Yes"

Me ... "Sigh"

She ... "Well, you can always buy a child seat for them ... Khun Key Nok"

We then went onto why Thai charge a ridiculous amount for a single ticket as opposed the price of a return ticket.

OK, the conversation above ... they weren't exactly her words ... I embellished ... but, geeze, it felt like that was what she was saying.

Anyone got any tips on flying on Thai with an infant aged 6 months +?

Any experiences generally for flying with young 'uns?

Thanks in Advance ... thumbsup.gif

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

Only on Thai domestic flights so not really the same thing.

I googled flying Thai with infants and it bought up quite a few hits.

We flew last time with Air Asia, at least with them you can pre book a hotseat on the bulkhead which includes a bassinet. Our baby was over 12 months at the time, so not sure why Thai won't allow this.

I'd rather say bye to Thai Air, and book with Air Asia. Extra $50 for a bassinet seat, $100 for 2 bassinet seats.

Holding twins for that distance just won't be nice.

I almost thought this was in the wrong forum and should have been in the conversation section (the Pub?) until I finally got to the point at the end of a long read - if you are after some serious replies perhaps next time just ask your question? Not sure why the long emotive anecdote at the start, oh well.

As for flying with infants, I have friends who flew with their 14 month old daughter and 3 year old son from Hobart to Bangkok, joining their Thai fight in Melbourne. They were able to pre-book on the bulkhead and got a bassinet for the girl.

Why not try Air Asia? You can pre-pay per bassinet and the cost overall is still way cheaper than Thai. Plus they have the brand new terminal to transit in KL (KLIA2) which gives you a break. Then again you may be after a direct flight to get it all over in one hit.

Good luck

We too have flown Thai Airways, LHR-BKK-LHR, with a a one-year old who nevertheless got a bassinet.

But that was ages ago, their policy may have changed.

At least the sprog did fit in the box.

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

We flew back to the UK 18 month ago with ETIHAD and flew to Japan for a holiday with THAI about 1 year ago.

On the flight to the UK our daughter was in a basinet and it was fine. However, with THAI, she was older so we couldn't get her in a basinet and my wife and I took it in turns to hold her while she slept during the flight - but that could be much harder with twins!

As for general tips, some advice that was given to me which worked when we flew with our daughter:

- fly as late at night as possible so that the kid(s) are really tired and just sleep as soon as they get on the plane.

- give your kid(s) a bottle of milk during take off and landing as this helps to avoid discomfort from ears popping (i'm pretty sure that's the actual medical term! lol!) during the change in pressure.

Like I said, both worked for us and our daughter was good as gold on both flights.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I travelled to the UK with my wife and our two sons, 2 years old and 4 months old. It was the worst thing I've ever done, from now on if family want to see me and the kids they have to come here :-)

Good luck with your trip :-)

Edited by mattk1

I was on a 12 hour flight from AMS to Bangkok and in the middle if the night, some guy from coach decided that walking through business class was the best thing to do to help quiet his screaming baby.

To all you who fly with infants and toddlers: Please stop doing it!

Isn't there a lovely boat trip from OZ to BKk?

• Like 1

I read through the thread just to see how long it would take before somebody said either this, or, "don't sit anywhere near me!" Well, the species has to reproduce itself, or all progress stops. And those of us without small children need to cut slack for those who do their reproductive duty. I remember the misery of being on a jam-packed 4 hour flight, with a baby on each of our laps. 12 hours could take you all the way to the outer reaches of sanity. Good luck to the OP.

I recently flew KLM Amsterdam to Bangkok with about 5 infants (under 3 years old) in close proximity. Nothing makes the flight more enjoyable than screams/crying and the smell of dirty nappies and sweet puke on the nose, when there's heavy turbulence to cope with as well! It's up to the airlines to provide adequate private facilities for families so that other passengers don't have to suffer like this.

The best tip for flying with infants is to try to get them to sleep for as much of the journey as possible. In our case we didnt let our 2 year old son fall asleep in the terminal (even though he was very tired) before our flight, better for you and everybody else if they are bawling in the terminal rather than awake and hyper active on a long haul flight. I am due to take my son now 5 and daughter who will be 2 on a long haul next year and am not looking forward to the prospect! Good luck to you and your Mrs. unsure.png

• Like 2

A while ago cinemas used to have glassed-in crying rooms in the back of the theater so when mom thought her 6 month old baby would enjoy watching The Unsinkable Molly Brown as much as she did and it cried instead, she could move to the soundproofed room so as not to spoil the cinematic experience for the people who paid their $3.75.

Airlines on the other hand let babies fly for free and move them to bulkhead seats, directly behind first class or business class so the people who paid $4000 for a lie-flat bed do they could sleep can enjoy the crying too.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses above ... particularly the one from rct99q ... thumbsup.gif

I do understand the negative comments about screaming kids on flights.

Last year, I saved up the pennies and flew Business Class on one long haul leg.

We had a screamer through out the night flight just behind the bulkhead ... dry.png

It's a goldfish bowl up there in the skies ... my partner and I will do our best to allow

the kids to enjoy their first flight, but, at the same time, try not to disturb others.

Sadly, due to the tight enforcement of the Thai Airline Policy that they won't supply

Bassinets to Infants over the age of 6 months, we are forced to seek seats elsewhere.

At this stage QANTAS looks the go, but yet to confirm their Policy regarding infants.

Meaning you lot are all safe to fly Thai again ... laugh.png

Is it considered ok to give a toddler a small dose of a sleeping pill, for a long flight? It seems to be a reasonable solution, and may result in a smooth flight for all involved. And please make sure the infant is not suffering from any sort of ear or nasal congestion prior to the flight. If so, consider an analgesic, to prevent any pain due to compression issues. I have been on countless flights where an infant was in obvious pain or distress, and barely stopped howling for the entire flight. This is very unfair for the 300 other people on the flight. It is painful to have to listen to this for hours on end. Please do not even consider taking an infant on a long flight unless you have all of this under control.

<snip>

Airlines on the other hand let babies fly for free

If only ! laugh.png

Unlike most other sorts of carry-on luggage, rug-rats need their own ticket, even in a bassinet, and are charged accordingly !

We recently waved-off number-one-child to university, he reports that he had a crying-baby next-to/in-front-of him on three of the four sectors, we merely chuckled at the memories of when that was him crying ! The biter bit, so to speak ! wai.gif

Edited by Ricardo

scenario:

• Single mother lives in country A
  • Parents live in country B (for whatever reason)
  • Parents are killed in a car crash
  • Single mother decides not to go back to country B with her infant for the funeral, because MZurf asked to please stop doing it!

Come on, there is world filled with people doing all kinds of things outside of your little bubble mate... facepalm.gif

We have traveled a lot with our daughter and here are some tips:

1. Check what airplane your are flying in and check the seating arrangement (seatguru.com)

2. Book your seat through travel agent or online (first row with place for bassinet)

3. If 2. doesn't work, show up @ airport 3+ hrs before departure and book @ check in counter

4. The bassinet is provided by cabin crew and they will set it up for you if you ask (and if your baby fits in it - google dimensions and measure your baby)

5. Ask for assistance, we were always provided good service when traveling with infant (priority check-in, fast track immigration, boarding first etc.)

Also check with airline, some have rule 1 adult for 1 infant.

Regarding number 3:

You could also try checking in online and choosing your seats 24hrs before the flight, (usually only possible if you have not taken a low cost option)

May help a little.. Good luck.

While I do understand that infants/toddlers can be a bit of a nuisance sometimes, to other passengers in the same cabin, until airlines start to let us put them in a dog/cat-box with the rest of the cargo in the hold, we really don't have much choice !

Most parents understand that, and are more tolerant, having been there themselves ! rolleyes.gif

Very well said, i agree 100% thumbsup.gif

While I do understand that infants/toddlers can be a bit of a nuisance sometimes, to other passengers in the same cabin, until airlines start to let us put them in a dog/cat-box with the rest of the cargo in the hold, we really don't have much choice !

Most parents understand that, and are more tolerant, having been there themselves ! rolleyes.gif

Well if we couldn't stand this disturbance we would be extinguished a million year ago.

Of course babies are annoying but that is life.....No babies....no humans and everyone was one at some time.

I have the feeling the least tolerant are people who had babies before and it seems that men are more tolerant than women.

When I am total tired and a baby cries into my ear 10 hours, you won't see anything else that a big smile to it an the parents.....