Should we listen to the children?

hotsoup

I am from the UK and France.My wife is Thai

We have 4 children.2 are grown up and have good jobs/careers in Thailand

The 'little ones' 1 is in in school in M2, one in school P6

All of them are trilingual English, French, Thai

I chose to come and live here for 25 years. My wife is, naturally, happy to be in her country.

All 4 children now say they want to go 'home'to France and the UK

We have explained endlessly why it might be better to live in the Far East..........not interested!

What would you wise members advise?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids often want what they can't have.

We are looking at ways to get our now 8 year old to a European school for one year at the age of 11 and again at the age of 18 (she'll still have to complete the 'missing' year).

I think it is important to get whatever certificate her Thai (private) school will give her, and I don't want her to miss out on becoming fluent in Thai, English and Chinese. After that: up to her. Whatever happens, sooner or later she will be leaving home so we are keeping her options open.

• Like 1

Two thoughts for your consideration:

1. P6/M1 age range wouldn't be a bad age range to transition from one school system to the other. The longer you wait, the harder I would think it would be to make the transition academically. For me, quality of education the two younger kids are getting would be an important factor. Curious about what your kids find attractive about the UK and France, and whether they feel assimilated here?

2. On the other hand, with two older kids still in Thailand, why break up the family by moving to another country? Especially if your wife's happier here.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

As for the young ones ....schools in the west give a better education IMO, so you and the wife have to decide what's best obviously.

As for the grown ups....tell them GO ...and good luck! Are they not old enough to cut the strings to Momma ?w00t.gif

my kids did their high school in thailand, moved to Canada and got straight A's in college.

As for the young ones ....schools in the west give a better education IMO, so you and the wife have to decide what's best obviously.

As for the grown ups....tell them GO ...and good luck! Are they not old enough to cut the strings to Momma ?w00t.gif

my kids did their high school in thailand, moved to Canada and got straight A's in college.

Smart kids, raised right, will do good anywhere!....Good job!

• Like 1

the fact is they were just as advanced as the western kids. and friends kids that came to do high school in canada ended up tutoring the western kids n math and science. the thai education is plenty good.

the fact is they were just as advanced as the western kids. and friends kids that came to do high school in canada ended up tutoring the western kids n math and science. the thai education is plenty good.

Wouldn't know ....never went to school in Thailand ...

BUT ...When I see the rote teaching (Well that's not really teaching!), and failure to teach critical thinking .....I wonder?????

What would you wise members advise?

I do not know about wise, but here are a couple of points for you to consider.

1. Your eldest 2 have good jobs / careers in Thailand. Do they still live at home ? If so, its time to cut the apron strings.

2. I think your youngest 2 are being influenced by your older 2.

If my assumptions are correct, whatever decision you come to is going to cause problems.

I wish you the best of luck, I fear you are going to need it.

PS, I really hope my assumption is wrong.

• Like 1

BUT ...When I see the rote teaching (Well that's not really teaching!), and failure to teach critical thinking .....I wonder?????

well, from first hand evidence, I dont

critical thinking can be taught at home, as can respect.

• Like 2

As I said before....Great, happy to hear your kids are doing well. BUT, widen your perspective and open your mind, Thailand is a BIG country with many different types of schools.

I have 3 children here in Thailand, and although they are doing well, its no thanks to the school system. Parents should be an integral part of teaching their children here in Thailand as elsewhere in the world....unfortunately a lot of Thai parents are too busy trying to survive and see school as a babysitting service.

Again your kids are lucky (as I'm sure there are many Thai kids with involved parents) that you and your wife cared about their education. You have obviously offered them opportunities most Thai's don't have available to them (ie college in Canada) so rating the WHOLE countries school system based on a few students.....

Well....whistling.gif

Edited by beachproperty

As I said before....Great, happy to hear your kids are doing well. BUT, widen your perspective and open your mind, Thailand is a BIG country with many different types of schools.

I have 3 children here in Thailand, and although they are doing well, its no thanks to the school system. Parents should be an integral part of teaching their children here in Thailand as elsewhere in the world....unfortunately a lot of Thai parents are too busy trying to survive and see school as a babysitting service.

Again your kids are lucky (as I'm sure there are many Thai kids with involved parents) that you and your wife cared about their education. You have obviously offered them opportunities most Thai's don't have available to them (ie college in Canada)

you know nothing about it so spare me the "open your mind" crack. my kids had absolutely no participation from parents. like most thai kids, they respected their teachers and worked hard and did well.

critical thinking can be taught at home, as can respect.

MY point exactly....Parents need to take a part also in the education of their children.....Unfortunately may Thai's do not have that luxury as they are busy just trying to survive!

Again your kids are lucky (as I'm sure there are many Thai kids with involved parents) that you and your wife cared about their education. You have obviously offered them opportunities most Thai's don't have available to them (ie college in Canada)

you know nothing about it so spare me the "open your mind" crack. my kids had absolutely no participation from parents. like most thai kids, they respected their teachers and worked hard and did well.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif WOW ...did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed! Sad to hear that you, as a parent, did not assist in their education!w00t.gif

Edited by beachproperty

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif WOW ...did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed!

like I said, you know nothing about how they were raised or educated. but hey, when generalizing about the faults of thailand why let facts get in the way?

Sorry to say....read the posts ....Maybe a few times. YOU are the one generalizing....I use the words "some" "Many"

YOu though, think its OK to base your rationale based on your children (who again ...I say....am sad to hear You and the wife "had absolutely nothing to do with their eduction")....NOW that's what I call "generalizations"

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif WOW ...did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed!

like I said, you know nothing about how they were raised or educated. but hey, when generalizing about the faults of thailand why let facts get in the way?

Sorry to say....read the posts ....Maybe a few times. YOU are the one generalizing....I use the words "some" "Many"

YOu though, think its OK to base your rationale based on your children (who again ...I say....am sad to hear You and the wife "had absolutely nothing to do with their eduction")....NOW that's what I call "generalizations"

you assumed you knew how my kids were raised and educated. you made a smart crack about "opening my mind" you generalized about the western system being better than the thai based on YOUR narrow experience with YOUR kids in ONE system. try again pal!

you assumed you knew how my kids were raised and educated. you made a smart crack about "opening my mind" you generalized about the western system being better than the thai based on YOUR narrow experience with YOUR kids in ONE system. try again pal!

Sorry to say ....YOU are the one making the asumptions .....I only commented on the post, to which you attacked with you generalizations.

Anger management issues?????????w00t.gif

............................................................................coffee1.gif

Sorry to say ....YOU are the one making the asumptions .....I only commented on the post, to which you attacked with you generalizations.

Anger management issues?????????w00t.gif

............................................................................coffee1.gif

if you can call a smartmouth line like "open your mind" legitimate comment!

Here's an observation based on over 15 years of working in a professional environment in Thailand.

I can count on one hand the number of Thais I know working in the professions who where educated in Thai state schools, those that I do know attended a select few Thai state schools (which despite being state schools have an unofficial pay to access system in operation and run many of their classes as 'private tuition'). These schools are all in metropolitan areas and are effectively private schools since not being able to pay the 'entrance fee' excludes pupils entering.

All of the Thai professional I know send their children to private schools (which are not cheap and represent a significant investment) - They (Thai people who understand the Thai education system) clearly do not have faith in the Thai state schools.

They understand very well that there are a handful of adequate schools in which the staff and administrators are milking parents in exchange for an adequate education, and there is the vast majority of Thai schools which offer education ranging from less than adequate to downright disgraceful.

Respect for teachers - We've had a very recent example of why Thai teachers might be feared, but I'd not call it respect.

Edited by GuestHouse
  • Like 2

the older ones are old enough to go live wherever they want and as for the younger ones, since when do parents design their lives around childrens whims??

I agree, but not 'whims'!! These are well reasoned arguments...I am perturbed by the fact that, regardless of the little ones, the older ones think the same. We have tried, endlessly to have them integrated into 'Thai' society. They just reckon Thailand is not 'cool'!!

Here's an observation based on over 15 years of working in a professional environment in Thailand.

I can count on one hand the number of Thais I know working in the professions who where educated in Thai state schools, those that I do know attended a select few Thai state schools (which despite being state schools have an unofficial pay to access system in operation and run many of their classes as 'private tuition'). These schools are all in metropolitan areas and are effectively private schools since not being able to pay the 'entrance fee' excludes pupils entering.

All of the Thai professional I know send their children to private schools (which are not cheap and represent a significant investment) - They (Thai people who understand the Thai education system) clearly do not have faith in the Thai state schools.

They understand very well that there are a handful of adequate schools in which the staff and administrators are milking parents in exchange for an adequate education, and there is the vast majority of Thai schools which offer education ranging from less than adequate to downright disgraceful.

Respect for teachers - We've had a very recent example of why Thai teachers might be feared, but I'd not call it respect.

what are "the professions"?

the older ones are old enough to go live wherever they want and as for the younger ones, since when do parents design their lives around childrens whims??

I agree, but not 'whims'!! These are well reasoned arguments...I am perturbed by the fact that, regardless of the little ones, the older ones think the same. We have tried, endlessly to have them integrated into 'Thai' society. They just reckon Thailand is not 'cool'!!

lol! youre thinking of relocating based on what your school age kids consider cool?? lol

The reasons they went/go to school in Thailand are

1. To learn to read and write Thai. Nobody is concerned about speaking. It is almost axiomatic they will be able to speak

2. If you can read and write Thai, then there are options, in Thailand . If you cannot those options diminish rapidly

3. If they wish to live in Thailand, they have to learn how to 'behave' like a Thai person..not saying this is entirely what one would wish...but it does not help to be an outcast!

4. We want them to be 'citoyennes du monde'..at ease and competent in a most cultures...I guess that is important because we are!

5. I am concerned for the older 2 because they say..no future here....interesting observation from a poster about 'Hi So Thai schools in this respect. But they are never going to become part of HiSo Thai society. As you know there is a lot of admiration for young pretty Luk Khreung...but I doubt that it translates into worthwhile 'careers'

• Like 1

The reasons they went/go to school in Thailand are

1. To learn to read and write Thai. Nobody is concerned about speaking. It is almost axiomatic they will be able to speak

2. If you can read and write Thai, then there are options, in Thailand . If you cannot those options diminish rapidly

3. If they wish to live in Thailand, they have to learn how to 'behave' like a Thai person..not saying this is entirely what one would wish...but it does not help to be an outcast!

4. We want them to be 'citoyennes du monde'..at ease and competent in a most cultures...I guess that is important because we are!

5. I am concerned for the older 2 because they say..no future here....interesting observation from a poster about 'Hi So Thai schools in this respect. But they are never going to become part of HiSo Thai society. As you know there is a lot of admiration for young pretty Luk Khreung...but I doubt that it translates into worthwhile 'careers'

why on earth do the older ones need you to move? why cant they go on their own? no future in thailand? you think that becoming hi so is necessary for a future?