How good are Thai Motorcycle Helmets?

I find the best value for money is this helmet:

Only 199 baht at Big C

2000002776659_7.jpg

best value for making a brain omelettebiggrin.png

but yeah, better than a plastic bucket or nothing!

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

I must admit I'm not very experienced but none of the helmets I tried or seen had foam padding in front of the mouth, including the top models of Shoei RF-1200, X-12 etc. maybe they should all go learn from Real ;-)

If the front hit your face then you either had the wrong size on or it's completely not your head shape (or both).

I've just watched the Index youtube vids, man that was like watching a show from the 80's. Check out below a proper helmet brand facility and their testing. (note the testing methodology,tools, measuring equipment, different headforms etc.)

If anything, these vids show Index to be built using really old and subpar standards. Personally I wouldn't wear them even if I was paid, well stationary maybe :-)

Ride safe and enjoy your bike and gear.

Shoei has the extra structural foam, look at the pic, theres also a layer underneath that extends to the main shell as one integral piece. Its not foam 'padding' in front of the mouth so its fairly obvious you do not know what you are talking about.

The low cost HJC and Sharks do not have this.

I tried on atleast 10 helmets today and Ive been riding bikes for 25 years. They were all in the same cheap price range, and I stress 'cheap' price range - but you seem unable to grasp the concept that Im talking about 'cheap helmets' and not the more expensive high ends ones.

shoei.jpg

I see what you mean. I'm not a native English speaker, it didn't look like "foam" type of material to me.

Anyway, bottom of the "food chain" Shark S700 (shown on the left) has it. The S600 (on the right, and discontinued elsewhere) has it as well, but looks like maybe it's thinner there. Obviously as you go down in price you start cutting down on things. Thankfully, safety doesn't have to be one of them. The S600 did very well in independent tests, has 4 stars Sharp rating.

So judging a helmet safety based on that piece? Not too sure about that..

post-43886-0-26190800-1409759249_thumb.p

post-43886-0-75293400-1409759266_thumb.p

Edited by rambling

Even top quality helmets don't have foam or padding in the chin because a helmet is meant to fit tightly around the cheeks.

If you don't get chipmunk cheeks and you can push your fingers between the helmet and your forehead it's too big.

Best helmet IMHO for scooters is a Moto X helmet. Looks cool but not out of place.

@rambling:

So Vemar helmet ECE rating is fake too? Please stop this shit if you are not 100% sure about what you say. Thanks

No, I did not say that. Maybe I should have refrained from the "fake" joke posted earlier as it may not be understood as such despite the smiley. I'm not in any position to say for certain, I'm just comparing those stickers you posted to that PDF document as can anyone else reading this. I believe this is a legitimate due diligence to check their certification if in doubt. [/size]

Thank you for posting that of Vemar as well, it helped since it looks like the numbering, which should start with 05 (for the amendment) here clearly came before the P rather than after (As described in the doc) and that's why it didn't match. As for what is the correct order, I can't tell, maybe something to look into or maybe not. I'm not a customer of either of these brands.

You are refering to a PDF document you found somewhere on a Czechoslovakia doamin. What does it proof? Who has written it?. In this document there is not even a publisher noted or some kind of reference. And for me it doesnt even read like "this is the number convention that has to be followed".

Bilmola doesnt follow your "number convention" too. Guess its safe to say there isnt such convention.

I must admit I'm not very experienced but none of the helmets I tried or seen had foam padding in front of the mouth, including the top models of Shoei RF-1200, X-12 etc. maybe they should all go learn from Real ;-)

If the front hit your face then you either had the wrong size on or it's completely not your head shape (or both).

I've just watched the Index youtube vids, man that was like watching a show from the 80's. Check out below a proper helmet brand facility and their testing. (note the testing methodology,tools, measuring equipment, different headforms etc.)

If anything, these vids show Index to be built using really old and subpar standards. Personally I wouldn't wear them even if I was paid, well stationary maybe :-)

Ride safe and enjoy your bike and gear.

Shoei has the extra structural foam, look at the pic, theres also a layer underneath that extends to the main shell as one integral piece. Its not foam 'padding' in front of the mouth so its fairly obvious you do not know what you are talking about.

The low cost HJC and Sharks do not have this.

I tried on atleast 10 helmets today and Ive been riding bikes for 25 years. They were all in the same cheap price range, and I stress 'cheap' price range - but you seem unable to grasp the concept that Im talking about 'cheap helmets' and not the more expensive high ends ones.

shoei.jpg

my gf's budget HJC at 3900 thb has the same structural foam you are talking about.

I always thought any foam or rubber in front of the mouth was just for show because the front part of the helmet is never supposed to touch the mouth.

I think if it is touching your mouth your neckstrap is not tight enough and the helmet is rotating down too much.

• 3 years later...

I once crashed on a full face Index 811 Helmet, Was running only 60kph when a taxi suddenly cut me off. I face planted on the road, skidded a few meters.There's a crack on the Index's forehead, scratches on the chin and a the shield is broken. That could've been my face. Even the cheap Probiker gloves and knee pads saved my hands and knees from painful road rash. Might be a diff story if i am running at higher speeds, but then again you'll have other things to worry too aside from your head in these situations. 

I agree that quality helmets are much better. But any helmet is better than no helmet at all. A REAL FF helmet is better than any expensive half-face helmet, imo. 

Only complain with cheaper helmets is the wind-noise, I have to wear ear plugs to be able to hear cars and other vehicles clearly.

REAL has batter quality than Index. Bimola comparable to REAL. AGV,HJC and Shark, better. 

• Like 2

^ 100% agree. My motocross helmets are AGV. My road helmet is Arai , but have had AGV and Shoei in the past. All full face apart from my Arai trials bike helmet. Gloves are often overlooked , but your hands nearly always make road / off-road contact. Real seems better than Index , and a decent  Real is 2,000 to 2,500 Baht. 

The present line up of Helmets.

I just bought a Shark R-Race Pro Carbon (in the picture).

HJC is the day to day helmet, to match my undies, and the AGV is a spare.

20180630_193432.thumb.jpg.d9f319854e31bc353552a2870c8647b5.jpg

Edited by soihok

Made in Canada. Given as a gift in the early 90's. By a Canadian...

Bit chilly on the old ears in an English winter... Perfick for touring Italy in the summer or out here.

If riding silly fast, i have a traditional open face....

Last full face i wore was when i was 17. 40 years ago...

1492843877408.jpg.57136c78d30dabb67dc08656695b2fe7.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/4/2014 at 2:14 PM, drift said:

It's got an ECE sticker and I think there was a DOT sticker too.

Wow has a sticker or two that must make it better. The stickers don't look Chinese by any chance. Probably has an ISO 9000 sticker as well just for good measure.

On 7/11/2018 at 10:59 AM, alx123 said:

But any helmet is better than no helmet at all.

Amen to that. 

Good Skate board knee/elbow pads are also not to be sneezed at.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

hi there looking for advice on decent helmets

was thinking of a Shark helmet, full face with sun visor

price before discount is 13,000 baht, will sell for 10,000 

not sure of the model, but is this make ok for the money, or should i look elsewhere for different make

will be riding 300 bike so want to upgrade from my cheap 2,000 baht helmet

Also, the helmet is extra large, but still quite tight on my head, by which i mean it a push fit and not wobble, but feels a little tight , is it like new shoes, they get better with use ?

will they ease off with use ?

Edited by Joinaman
additional question

Thanks jackdd

its at the cheeks where it feels tight, the head is ok

i prefer a snug fit but this is the first full face helmet i've tried so wasn't too sure about it, just felt a little too snug squashing my cheeks, but then read your supposed to squash a little

24 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes, helmets "get bigger" over time, but mostly at the cheeks, not much arround the head

Well not for me, they get smaller when my hair grows...and keep hurting me more at the temples.

I have size XXL or XXXL for helmet and all helmets i bought in Thailand hurt me. 

I made them bigger though by cutting out foam or just pressing it very hard.

But finally i have a real good helmet now, with intercom. If you guys want a good deal in Europe try here:

https://www.rad.eu/nl/x2/motorhelm-en-communicatie/f/2

• 8 months later...

Just read all the posts about helmets.

I have been riding a Honda Wave 125cc in Bangkok City for 4 years but now moved to Udonthani where my secretary has a Honda Scoopy.

I have been using these helmets that are 450bt each and they appear to have the TIS on them.

To be honest, I never looked at the safety aspect, I just thought they looked quite cool at the time.

CrashHelmets.thumb.jpg.4fb0a1ab5ce0afbd3cb7d1846187c30d.jpg

I have recently bought a Honda Rebel 500 and like an open helmet.

Are these helmets safe to use?

• Haha 1

Just read all the posts about helmets.

I have been riding a Honda Wave 125cc in Bangkok City for 4 years but now moved to Udonthani where my secretary has a Honda Scoopy.

I have been using these helmets that are 450bt each and they appear to have the TIS on them.

To be honest, I never looked at the safety aspect, I just thought they looked quite cool at the time.

CrashHelmets.thumb.jpg.4fb0a1ab5ce0afbd3cb7d1846187c30d.jpg&key=ad1b09e5b2469905ff58fb9d77aa839820d869820acc2d22658bb3a23fd9b0b8

I have recently bought a Honda Rebel 500 and like an open helmet.

Are these helmets safe to use?

Open face helmets aren't as safe as full face helmets because no chin protection. Look for a helmet with DOT or Europe safety, i forget the name.

I'll probably buy my next helmet on AliExpress. Many with Europe Safety standards for example LS2

I value my head and face so I bought a Shark Pro-Carbon at just over 19.000 baht. VERY good helmet but has a problem with the locking mechanism for the front part half-helmet.

But I'll probably buy a full-helmet (no half split) for longer trips and just use the Pro-Carbon as a half-helmet for city driving. The chin guards are excellent.

If you ride around a bit I really would suggest you buy a good quality helmet that fits you well. Just saw a video on Facebook of a thai big bike rider who t-boned a u-turning SUV at speed. His helmet went flying and he died. So use the chinstrap and see that it is properly tight so it doesnt fly off.

• Like 1

It's like insurance, cover the odds as best you feel necessary! the best helmet in the world will protect your head but does nothing for the rest of you!

I used to do a lot of bike riding in Thailand and covered a lot of miles, with an open face helmet could cruds comfortably at ~100 KPH, with a good quality full face helmet could happily cruise at 140 KPH for hours, good quality full face helmet by far more comfortable and more protection - but in the city!!! just too hot..........

When I was back in the US in January I purchased a full face, SHOEI RF-1200 helmet for about $485.00 and brought it back with me to Chiang Mai.  It's both SNELL approved and DOT rated.  Compared to the REAL helmet I bought in Chiang Mai and was using up to that time, there is no comparison.  I don't remember exactly what I paid for the REAL helmet but I believe it was less than Bt 2000.00, or about $60.00.  

If you're in Chiang Mai, Chang Moto sells legitimate SNELL rated and DOT approved helmets.  I bought my girlfriend a HJC CL-17 full face helmet for Bt 4200.00 or about $134.00.  That same helmet is also SNELL rated and DOT approved and costs the same back in the US at Cycle Gear.  

Believe me.  Trying to talk my Thai girlfriend into getting a good helmet was an uphill battle.  Finally I had to take her to Chang Moto without her realizing where we were going until it was too late.  And then there was the comical arguing we were having in the shop as she was refusing to get one.  I told her we weren't leaving until she agreed on a helmet which I would gladly pay for.  

Here are photos of my SHOEI and the REAL helmet side by side for a comparison.  The thickness in padding is quite noticeable and although not visible in the photos, the REAL helmet has a ratcheting chin strap, which I'm not too impressed with. 

The bottom line for me is that safety and quality should not be compromised when talking about a helmet.  Even if your Thai helmet looks cool, you're going to want something that is going to protect you and prevent you from turning your head into a canoe if the unthinkable happens while you're on your bike.

NBAlNzlkRQiZgxqeon%6lw.jpg

Bh%gW0xzTn66nHfLZ2ItlA.jpg

Edited by ibtg68
Correction of spelling errors.
  • Like 1

It's like insurance, cover the odds as best you feel necessary! the best helmet in the world will protect your head but does nothing for the rest of you!
I used to do a lot of bike riding in Thailand and covered a lot of miles, with an open face helmet could cruds comfortably at ~100 KPH, with a good quality full face helmet could happily cruise at 140 KPH for hours, good quality full face helmet by far more comfortable and more protection - but in the city!!! just too hot..........
I agree, i use a open face helmet and still need to wash the inserts every 3-4 weeks latest as its so hot here, so fully removable foam is very important
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1