Assets declaration would help fill the trust vacuum: Thai opinion

webfact

All NLA members, asset declaration cut off date is Monday 8th September.

All members of the National Legislative Assembly are required to declare their assets and liabilities to the National Anti-Corruption Commission and the public within 30 days since August 8 when they took an oath at the parliament.

NACC secretary-general Sansern Poljiak (said) the requirement to declare the assets and liabilities (was) unanimously decided by the commission on Thursday.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nacc-nla-members-must-declare-assets/

It would appear that small details like the rules are not taken that seriously by the NACC when it concerns the "right folk". The same 30 day rule should apply to cabinet ministers as well. They were appointed on 31st August which gives them a cut off asset declaration date of the 30th September, so I'm not sure how the NACC are applying/interpreting these rules.

Or is that "propaganda?

May I point out that here we talk about the cabinet folk, not the NLA lot ?

The Cabinet members were sworn in on the 4th of September (a nice gesture since that's my birthday smile.png ). With September only 30 days, the deadline is the 3rd of October.

I'm talking about both, as is the OP

Last month, National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) secretary-general Sansern Poljiak confirmed that Cabinet members, MPs and senators were required by law to disclose their assets and liabilities. He later added that NLA members were deemed political officeholders under the 2014 provisional charter. But he also said that the law did not require NCPO members to disclose assets.

A recent poll of citizens showing the majority are in favour of asset declarations by NCPO members has drawn no response from the junta. It remains to be seen whether this will change now that NCPO members are holding ministerial posts.

The NLA members should have declared their assets over a week ago. There has been no report that this has been done.

If the Junta really want to be taken seriously in their stance that they are better than all who came before, being tardy in publicly declaring assets on a timescale determined by the Law, is not the way to do it.

To not declare assets at all because they happen to be junta members first, pseudo politicians second is compounding the crime.

The Cabinet members were sworn in on the 4th of September (a nice gesture since that's my birthday smile.png ). With September only 30 days, the deadline is the 3rd of October.

Last month, National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) secretary-general Sansern Poljiak confirmed that Cabinet members, MPs and senators were required by law to disclose their assets and liabilities. He later added that NLA members were deemed political officeholders under the 2014 provisional charter. But he also said that the law did not require NCPO members to disclose assets.

A recent poll of citizens showing the majority are in favour of asset declarations by NCPO members has drawn no response from the junta. It remains to be seen whether this will change now that NCPO members are holding ministerial posts.

The NLA members should have declared their assets over a week ago. There has been no report that this has been done.

If the Junta really want to be taken seriously in their stance that they are better than all who came before, being tardy in publicly declaring assets on a timescale determined by the Law, is not the way to do it.

To not declare assets at all because they happen to be junta members first, pseudo politicians second is compounding the crime.

You're obfuscating. Where in the OP does it mention the NLA members didn't report their assets? Are you complaining no one told you if they did that in time?

"For a "government" that is all about transparency the junta's NLA are not exactly doing themselves any favours."

Are you so impatient you can't wait till the 3rd of October that you're even prepared to suggest the NLA should pressure the NACC, that independent commission ?

You're obfuscating. Where in the OP does it mention the NLA members didn't report their assets? Are you complaining no one told you if they did that in time?

"For a "government" that is all about transparency the junta's NLA are not exactly doing themselves any favours."

Are you so impatient you can't wait till the 3rd of October that you're even prepared to suggest the NLA should pressure the NACC, that independent commission ?

I'm not obfuscating at all. I've shown examples of where the PTP government cabinet members followed the law and reported their assets as required by that law in 30 days. It was splashed all over the papers the very next day.

You would have been the first to jump all over the PTP if they hadn't done what they were required to by law but here you are, once again, making excuses for the junta. That is rank hypocrisy.

NACC independent? - Yes, OK, if you say so, not a partisan streak amongst them.

I'm not obfuscating at all. I've shown examples of where the PTP government cabinet members followed the law and reported their assets as required by that law in 30 days. It was splashed all over the papers the very next day.

You would have been the first to jump all over the PTP if they hadn't done what they were required to by law but here you are, once again, making excuses for the junta. That is rank hypocrisy.

You're obtuse again. Where does it say the NLA members didn't comply ?

nobody remember this general who died few years ago, and his only legitimate heiress was his mia noi.... She got 100 millions

Everybody was wondering how a general with a "normal salary"can accumulate so much moneywhistling.gif

Quite correct and good point.

Glad to see that you are on the reform "bandwagon" to ensure this does not happen again.

Rest easy my dear friend because luckily the good General Preyuth has a vision of democracy in October next year when the scourge of the corrupt terrorists is removed from the political landscape.

When a UDD arms dealer leaves Thailand (she was allowed to go so the Junta had no fears she would say anything bad), does not see a medical expert in Singapore (or anywhere apart from Thailand) to show unequivocal and undeniable evidence to prove torture claims she made against the Junta then I think I trust the Junta more. One doctors report was all it took yet nothing but the word of an arms dealer that supplied arms to terrorists.

Well done Bender and thanks for highlighting why reform is needed.

May PEACE and reconciliation be with you. I do assume you like peace.

rubl, sometimes you have to think for yourself. I can only presume your argument goes something like this:

the NLA members declared their assets by the cut off date according to law which was the 8th September. Since then the NACC have kept this information to themselves because they know that the public is not interested in knowing if the unelected NLA is a transparent body or not and are going to set gold standards in their fight against corruption. It hasn't been reported that the members haven't declared their assets, therefore they must have declared their assets.

Alternatively they haven't declared their assets, but the media have been lent on not to report this.

rubl, sometimes you have to think for yourself. I can only presume your argument goes something like this:

the NLA members declared their assets by the cut off date according to law which was the 8th September. Since then the NACC have kept this information to themselves because they know that the public is not interested in knowing if the unelected NLA is a transparent body or not and are going to set gold standards in their fight against corruption. It hasn't been reported that the members haven't declared their assets, therefore they must have declared their assets.

Alternatively they haven't declared their assets, but the media have been lent on not to report this.

My reasoning goes like this: since the NACC didn't complain I assume all NLA members declared their assets on time or maybe even before. Since this would be complying to the law it didn't need any special bulletin by the NACC.

I'm not saying that these declarations will be perfect. Even real politicians tend to forget some assets they didn't think would be of value or good for the NACC to know.

So, for the NLA members we'll know by the 3rd of October, for Cabinet members by the 3rd of November. I didn't really look, but maybe some even had to report twice rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl

• 2 weeks later...

My reasoning goes like this: since the NACC didn't complain I assume all NLA members declared their assets on time or maybe even before. Since this would be complying to the law it didn't need any special bulletin by the NACC.

I'm not saying that these declarations will be perfect. Even real politicians tend to forget some assets they didn't think would be of value or good for the NACC to know.

So, for the NLA members we'll know by the 3rd of October, for Cabinet members by the 3rd of November. I didn't really look, but maybe some even had to report twice rolleyes.gif

According to a story in the BP but not reported in the nation, Gen Panya and 27 others in the nla have submitted a petition to the Administrative Court to not declare assets.

So much for transparency.

According to a story in the BP but not reported in the nation, Gen Panya and 27 others in the nla have submitted a petition to the Administrative Court to not declare assets.

So much for transparency.

Interesting article. The NACC caught off guard it says. The Adm. Court has said it would decide Tuesday (30/09)) whether or not to accept the petition of 28 NLA members led by Gen. Noppadon.

The NACC studying the Interim Constitution had stated that although there was no direct mention, as the NLA acted as both parliament and Senate they must declare their assets. The group of 28 argued that they're not 'political' office holders and therefor the rule doesn't apply to them.

BTW it would seem this may mean that where ALL NLA members where supposed to declare their assets by the 7th of September, at least these 28 might not have done so or done so very reluctantly. There is no mention when the petition to the Adm. Court was lodged.

Anyway, later this week the NACC will release information on assets declared. I assume it will also show who didn't do so yet.

Personally I think all NLA members should declare assets, for various reasons like transparency, setting an example, image and feel good and so.

Edited by rubl