Dual-pricing is scaring tourists away: Thai editorial

webfact

Dual pricing sometimes applies to Thai people too within Thailand.

Was just reading a post on another forum by a Thai visitor to Koh Lan island off South Pattaya. He went to a restaurant there and ordered Lat Na and was charged 55 Baht. However, the prices weren't displayed and when the locals came in they were charged 30 Baht for the same meal.

He was in a fury at the double pricing, calling them bastards and exhorting any future visitors to the island to boycott the restaurants and just use the 7-11 there for food.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your not Thai you must pay more

its not the act of doing this that's the problem, its the mindset that says its correct to do so.

I can imagine many Thais honestly saying "Why not ?"

I am quite happy to pay 35 times the real price! Once per every like, Nobody should be put of by this practice.

It appears, looking at this clip, that the beach mafia are also scaring away the tourists. Absolutely disgusting behaviour. bah.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEZ7XicTTLs

That is terrible digusting behaviour on a Public Beach. Everybody should be well aware of this, if she would have struck him (whilst defending herself) she would have been at fault. And how about the thug totally covering himself, faceless cowards.

I am trying to understand what this thai guy was thinking here. Maybe the russian woman had stayed inside his "territory" where he rents out beach chairs. Or maybe she had some issues with him in the past, that made him angry ?

Really strange behaviour from a thai . He was pushing her away from what looked like a public beach area.

Apparently he is Cambodian and the bosses Thai.

http://dailynews.co.th/Content/regional/264880/%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%9F%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%8C

Edited by uptheos

Hate to be the one to ruin it for all you rabid Thai bashers, and this thread seems to be full of them, but dual pricing happens everywhere, even in countries like the USA, UK, Australia etc. and I am guessing many of the posters complaining about dual pricing in Thailand come from those countries.

In Australia there are restaurants with 2 different menus, one for regular use and one for the busloads of Japanese and Chinese tourists.

So get over it and find something else to pick on.

Thais are poor. Falang rich. When Thais go to Falangland, Thais always get charge expensive Falang price. So when Falang in Thailand, they should also pay expensive Falang price. This is the universal law of same same no change. If falang want to pay thai price in thailand, falang should also charge cheaper thai price to thai people while in falangland.

Ridiculous. Totally absurd. What an incredible mangling of common sense and economic reality! Do you REALLY think the whole world must accommodate itself to Thai spending ability by lowering their prices in their own countries just esp. for THAIS?? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif I'd like to travel to Norway, but their pricing is kind o' high. Could we please have them cut their prices for me? Uh, Japan, too. Oh, and Monaco?

SHOULD BE: one price for everyone wherever you happen to be, whatever the market there happens to bear; no discrimination just because you're a foreigner! Thai prices (for everyone) in Thailand. Farang prices (for everyone) in Farangland. THAT'S actually the "same same" rubric you're groping for - try & wrap your mind around the "sameness" in THAT concept. It's there. It's obvious. That Thai prices should apply to Thais in NYC, instead of NYC prices in NYC, makes no sense at all! (And how I hate that silly, simple-minded, lethally worn-out, phrase, "same same"...'just like that excruciating "methinks" thing)

Can't live with that? TIT? Thais must have their way? OK. That's their right; no argument. But then prepare for the travel industry consequences, such as those being editorialized here. Travelers may be slow to wake up to these things, but sooner or later the light always comes on. And Thais just DON'T seem to get THAT!

If they dressed it up a bit it would be better.

Thai residents and long term stayers versus tourists

And then applied the rule consistently. But then beyond that it should only be applied by government public funded events. Private companies should not be allowed to do it.

Its complicated mind. Just imagine the discounts given by hotels to foreign travel agents which aren't available in the domestic market.

Agreed. A good compromise to start with would, in addition to what Thai at Heart has mentioned look as follows:

All private businesses would need to end dual pricing immediately. This includes zoos such as the Chiang Mai zoo and night safari, Siam Ocean World, Ripley's Believe it or Not Pattaya - yes you better believe it that discriminatory pricing where foreigners pay more is used by Ripley's in Thailand (imagine if they tried that at their locations on the Gold Coast in Australia or in Los Angeles?), while at certain Heritage sites such as some national parks (the bigger ones at least) and the Grand Palace, Thai citizens and residents (expats who work or are retired in Thailand, perhaps even those that have spent a considerable amount of time in the country on various visas as long as they can prove "residency" via a Thai DL or something) where EVERYONE including Thais would be asked for ID to enter at reduced rates. No ID = no entry or at least, no reduced price or free entry. That way accusations of racial discrimination would disappear and other Asians such as Filipinos and Vietnamese wouldn't "slip through the net" and gain reduced entry that they aren't entitled to simply because of their similar physical appearance to Thais. I wonder whether it goes through the minds of officials manning tourist attractions that use dual pricing that by not asking for ID and using racial profiling numerous Asian foreigners that shouldn't be getting in at reduced rates are slipping through? Or are the officials so dumb as to think that only westerners, and maybe Africans travel to Thailand when in fact 60% of visitors are actually Asian and have always been? Now I realize that at the Grand Palace they will realize this, but even there they don't ask for ID, but at some upcountry national park they obviously don't expect foreign, or at least non-Thai Asian foreign visitors (the exceptions would be when large numbers of Asian tourists in a group or a group of Asians where the ticket purchaser doesn't speak Thai show up).

Now that would be a start - private businesses could start benefiting from more foreigners coming and without all the nonsense of proving their "credentials" while local looking non-citizens can just pass through, at the same time the national parks etc. could still offer Thais and residents alike a discount without appearing to discriminate on the basis of race.

Similarly, since private businesses that operate tourist attractions are made with middle class visitors in mind (all of whom by definition can afford to go to these places without needing to rely on foreigners being charged more), while national parks and certain temples are supposed to be accessible for all. It would seem reasonable that as a first step towards hopefully completely eliminating dual pricing in the future, such a policy could work wonders for both tourism and Thailand's image in general.

I do hope someone from the current administration reads my post and can see where I'm coming from. NCPO, please crack down on dual pricing, starting with what I have suggested (private businesses = no dual pricing permitted; heritage or cultural attractions - discounts must be available to all residents not just Thais and all persons must show ID, no more racial profiling please).

Mods... good time to either get the thread back on topic... or close it. It is about dual pricing... not scams and being robbed/ripped off.

Isnt dual pricing a rip off and a scam?

I don't think so necessarily. IMHO there are instances where discounts can be applied to residents, and not foreigners, (and I include foreign Thais). If you get on a boat down here (as a Thai) with an ID card marked as a local, you pay less than a Thai from say BKK. So they differentiate between Thais on the basis of where they come from. Why? Because we pay a myriad of local fees, licenses and taxes, and use the service a whole lot more, so are more entitled to a discount than a non-local... Thai OR Farang. If I go to the fish shop, I will pay less than a non-local Thai. Why? Because they know me, we are friends, and I buy a lot of fish. I am a good customer, so I get a discount. The notion that prices may vary between 2 or more groups is just a fact of life... and not immoral or unethical. Totally different to being ripped off.

Kind of a different concept though. Any shop, anywhere in the world, or let's say business in general, can provide a discount to a good customer, friend or whoever they want. It's wrong however to do so on the basis of race or nationality, because as we know in this day and age racism is a very uncomfortable issue and one we want to eliminate.

However, I can concur with getting discounts at local shops if the people know me. At least 2 restaurants in Nha Trang, Vietnam give me 10% discounts even when I haven't been there for months. They remember me. Also they apparently give all expats 10% discounts if you ask and let them know you are an expat or they identify you as one as a result of a few regular visits. I used to live there and while I don't anymore, whenever I visit (which is often enough, definitely at least a couple of times a year on average) they will remember me and give me the discount.

The key is charging everyone the same and then only offering a discount to good customers.

Hate to be the one to ruin it for all you rabid Thai bashers, and this thread seems to be full of them, but dual pricing happens everywhere, even in countries like the USA, UK, Australia etc. and I am guessing many of the posters complaining about dual pricing in Thailand come from those countries.

In Australia there are restaurants with 2 different menus, one for regular use and one for the busloads of Japanese and Chinese tourists.

So get over it and find something else to pick on.

In the 4 years I worked in the retail trade back in Scotland many moons ago, there was never a price for locals and a different one for tourists, if anything the locals were fed up paying tourist prices, but there was never an alternate price for tourists, what there was and still is in many countries is a VAT return, where you can hand over your receipts and claim the VAT back.

It appears, looking at this clip, that the beach mafia are also scaring away the tourists. Absolutely disgusting behaviour. bah.gif

That is terrible digusting behaviour on a Public Beach. Everybody should be well aware of this, if she would have struck him (whilst defending herself) she would have been at fault. And how about the thug totally covering himself, faceless cowards.

"if she would have struck him (whilst defending herself) she would have been at fault. "

How do you work that out?

rolleyes.gif

"if she would have struck him (whilst defending herself) she would have been at fault. "

How do you work that out?

rolleyes.gif

Errrrr it doesn't matter now, it has been found out he was a Cambodian and the Thais have wiped their hands from event.

Thais are poor. Falang rich.When Thais go to Falangland, Thais always get charge expensive Falang price.So when Falang in Thailand, they should also pay expensive Falang price.This is the universal law of same same no change.If falang want to pay thai price in thailand, falang should also charge cheaper thai price to thai people while in falangland.

typical attitude of the thai scammers,but so wrong. Go to Uk/London and everyone can go to museums free, masses of foreign tourists, and of course churches and cathedrals are free to go inside.

the difference is the UK is an advanced, fair, democratic and civilised society - Thailand is not.

Thais are poor. Falang rich.When Thais go to Falangland, Thais always get charge expensive Falang price.So when Falang in Thailand, they should also pay expensive Falang price.This is the universal law of same same no change.If falang want to pay thai price in thailand, falang should also charge cheaper thai price to thai people while in falangland.

typical attitude of the thai scammers,but so wrong. Go to Uk/London and everyone can go to museums free, masses of foreign tourists, and of course churches and cathedrals are free to go inside.

the difference is the UK is an advanced, fair, democratic and civilised society - Thailand is not.

Not everyone wants Thailand to be the same as the UK. I'll put up with the extremely minor inconvenience of dual-pricing.

Not everyone wants Thailand to be the same as the UK. I'll put up with the extremely minor inconvenience of dual-pricing.

OK, you put up with it. No doubt others will choose to overlook it, too. But you'll recall that the topic isn't "Dual-pricing is scaring brewsterbudgen away", and the fact that it's not running you off doesn't mean it's not having an impact on tourism, or that it's fair, or is seen by everyone else as an "extremely minor inconvenience", or even that it's consistent with business practice in the developed world, which I think have a bit more to do with the topic.

Edited by hawker9000

I don't think many tourists are scared away, as they don't really know or hear much about it before coming for their two week vacation. Interesting statistic would be the percentage of returning tourists. Many tourists come back for years and years in places like Turkey, Spain etc. How do Thai statistics stand up or compare?

As for the Dual pricing, it is clearly applied by race, even though not intended as such. An American of Thai descent would likely pay the Thai price when showing up with some Thais or speaking the language. Our Burmese maid gets the Thai price, I don't. As far as I see we are both foreigners, but I am not SE Asian. Same for the Filipina nanny etc.

I am fine with discount for locals, same as the Texas hunting Liscense mentioned earlier, but usually the residents need to show I'd to proof that they are entitled to discounts...

Never mind.

As it is quite clear that many posters here don't actually understand the difference between 2 tier pricing and over-charging in Thailand any explanation they come up with has to be of limited value.

...... the idea of shouting "racism" is just risible - it shows that on top of 2-tier pricing they also don't understand racism....or business.

Dual-pricing is scaring tourists away.
definitely.
Maybe not the first-time visitors, but on the internet and among friends itself speaks around.
- Lumpini Thai boxing: +1000 Baht
- King Palace: +500 Baht
- Wat Pho: +100 Baht
- Siam Ocean: +500 Baht
- Cable Car at Phra Nakhon: +150 Baht
- Lanta Marine National Park: +360 Baht
- Summer Palace Ayutthaya: + 70 Baht
- Museum Siam Bangkok: + 200 Baht
- National Parks: + 100 – 300 Baht
- Massage Parlours: + 500 – 1000 Baht surcharge
- restaurants with two price lists
- and everyone else who try to rip you off here.
+ scams
+ crime
+ political instability
+ travel safety
+ rip off culture
So the negative image effect will in long-term harm the tourism.
I'm pretty sure that many tourists, instead of making a second visit, opt for another destination!

I have never experienced a restaurant here with two price lists ?

Where do you find them ?

Here on the islands (Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao) there are many small restaurants with two menus.

One in Thai and one in English.

The prices on it are not the same!

Happened to me in Chiang mai in a Soi south of Moet. They had nice menu with pictures and with prices and somehow they managed to leave a menu written in Thai. You can guess the price was about half. I complained but they refused to sell me fot thai price. i never went back again.

Also a seller near condo i stayed suddenly when the season came put out the price in English which was about third higher as he normlly charged. I asked him what happened. He smiled and say "That is for farang, but you live here you pay Thai price :-))

definitely.
Maybe not the first-time visitors, but on the internet and among friends itself speaks around.
+ scams
+ crime
+ political instability
+ travel safety
+ rip off culture
I'm pretty sure that many tourists, instead of making a second visit, opt for another destination!

Where do you find them ?

Here on the islands (Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao) there are many small restaurants with two menus.

Happened to me in Chiang mai in a Soi south of Moet. They had nice menu with pictures and with prices and somehow they managed to leave a menu written in Thai. You can guess the price was about half. I complained but they refused to sell me fot thai price. i never went back again.

Also a seller near condo i stayed suddenly when the season came put out the price in English which was about third higher as he normlly charged. I asked him what happened. He smiled and say "That is for farang, but you live here you pay Thai price :-))

Never went back? I'd have quietly gotten up & walked out the first time. Thais often really just don't get it.

definitely.
+ scams
+ crime
+ political instability
+ travel safety
+ rip off culture

Where do you find them ?

most of these stories are at best anecdotal and frequently apocryphal.

I think overcharging is a common practice in many countries with tourists. I have been in Thailand for 6 years....I speak the language as well as a person learning it at age 55 can be...but I don't tolerate overcharging, if the price is too high I won't buy...I avoid buying things where there is no price sign on the merchandise. In taxis I will not stand for no meter...I insist on the meter before getting into the cab... the one time the driver then didn't put it on, I started shouting very very loudly and he put it on. One motorcycle taxi wanted to charge me 100 baht for a 20baht ride...I gave him 20 baht, and went into my home.

With national parks, I show my driver's license....if they insist on the higher price I argue and hold the queue up....it is amazing how soon the price comes down...however in one park near Krabi they insisted on a high price and I refused to go in, despite having driven 50 or so km to get to the park.

I think that to many farangs simply pay up and bitch....but this is just enabling the overchargers....if everybody made a stand, the overcharging would stop.

A lot is about your attitude...and your size, I'm 2m tall and muscular, so not too many people want to mess with me.

I think overcharging is a common practice in many countries with tourists. I have been in Thailand for 6 years....I speak the language as well as a person learning it at age 55 can be...but I don't tolerate overcharging, if the price is too high I won't buy...I avoid buying things where there is no price sign on the merchandise. In taxis I will not stand for no meter...I insist on the meter before getting into the cab... the one time the driver then didn't put it on, I started shouting very very loudly and he put it on. One motorcycle taxi wanted to charge me 100 baht for a 20baht ride...I gave him 20 baht, and went into my home.

With national parks, I show my driver's license....if they insist on the higher price I argue and hold the queue up....it is amazing how soon the price comes down...however in one park near Krabi they insisted on a high price and I refused to go in, despite having driven 50 or so km to get to the park.

I think that to many farangs simply pay up and bitch....but this is just enabling the overchargers....if everybody made a stand, the overcharging would stop.

A lot is about your attitude...and your size, I'm 2m tall and muscular, so not too many people want to mess with me.

That is exactly the same thing I would write, only difference is, I am short, muscular, and built like a human manhole cover.

Good for you, I agree with your attitude. That said there are plenty of wonderful Thais who do not have dual pricing, but there are enough who do that makes the dual pricing issue so egregious.

There is a leather goods vendor at the local market. I asked him how much for a strap and he said, '300 THB', the next week I went back with my measurement and asked again, 'how much?' This time he told me, '500 THB'. I had to remind him of our first conservation!

Same with a metal clasp I wanted and subsequently found in Thonburi for 18 THB. The next time I was walking through the market the vendor stopped me to show me a clasp identical to the one I had, and his price was 160 THB. His big smile was beautiful BTW.

That is exactly the same thing I would write, only difference is, I am short, muscular, and built like a human manhole cover.

Good for you, I agree with your attitude. That said there are plenty of wonderful Thais who do not have dual pricing, but there are enough who do that makes the dual pricing issue so egregious.

There is a leather goods vendor at the local market. I asked him how much for a strap and he said, '300 THB', the next week I went back with my measurement and asked again, 'how much?' This time he told me, '500 THB'. I had to remind him of our first conservation!

Same with a metal clasp I wanted and subsequently found in Thonburi for 18 THB. The next time I was walking through the market the vendor stopped me to show me a clasp identical to the one I had, and his price was 160 THB. His big smile was beautiful BTW.

Totally agree with above posters, , a little Thai spoken goes a long way too.

As it is quite clear that many posters here don't actually understand the difference between 2 tier pricing and over-charging in Thailand any explanation they come up with has to be of limited value.

...... the idea of shouting "racism" is just risible - it shows that on top of 2-tier pricing they also don't understand racism....or business.

As its quite clear that you just recovered from a lobotomy operation and your brain is not working properly for a long time. We can forgive your stupidity, ignorance and sense of normal standards.

• 1 year later...

its not the act of doing this that's the problem, its the mindset that says its correct to do so.

I only spend what I need to in Thai because of this shit

I do my non grocery shopping in Singapore or hk for clothes or electronics

I don't care about the prices too much, the feeling of being ripped off annoys me more so I do most shopping in cities where everyone pays the same...

I'm sure more people are going to do this in future if Thai continue their racist zenophopic practices...

You've hit it on the head, how many Thais know or care ?

I doubt there would be any ' that's not right ' views.

No, they don't get it, most have never been anywhere else in the world to see otherwise. Like they don't see that calling foreign people by insulting names is wrong. Or that laughing and running away when you say hello is rude.

I've never been called an insulting name, farang is not intended to be an insult. It's how they identify that you are a white European Caucasian.

They should have two tier Farang pricing. Let the Brits in at a Thai price because they are so poor and charge the Americans double.

Britain Is Poorer Than Any US State: Yes, Even Mississippi

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2014/08/25/britain-is-poorer-than-any-us-state-yes-even-mississippi/