Prosecutors decide not to indict Yingluck on the rice case

webfact

This is all about "face". After all the bluster and speculation it now transpires that there is no evidence. Solution: send it to a committee and it will be quietly forgotten.

I believe you are thinking of the last government, this is not going away quietly. I think you will see her acquitted of corruption but convicted of dereliction of duty. It should be fairly difficult to plead not guilty of corruption because you didn't know what was going on, then in a dereliction case, claim that you were right on top of things, knew exactly what was going on. I just don't see her escaping both charges. TIT though, so anything is possible.

• Like 2

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The headline could have more accurately read "not yet to indict". The evidence needs organising for a criminal case, and efforts need be made to fill evidential gaps. I don't find it surprising for the AG to opt for the joint AG-NACC committee approach.

I thought like you but you are right, they did not reject but posponed the indict while looking for more evidence. Journalism in Thailand is appalling.

This should not be unexpected.... So many have been cleared of all charges recently on both side that it would not surprise me if a deal was made so the Junta could move the country forward without any uprisings of the people.

The only thing I hope will not happen is that they let her brother come back without a lengthy prison sentence.

Let YL do her shopping trips and stay out of politics... Let Suthep study his new found religion as a monk and stay out of politics. Keep the peace and make so none of the old get a chance to form new parties or run in any future elections. Prison is not going to make YL feel guilty for losing the country billions of THB and for the lies she stated that all the rice was in inventory and all was of good quality. She has done her merits for this already. Thailand will never recoup the money lost for her deeds.

Actually, I kinda wish they'd let the big T come back. The folks out here in Isan firmly believe that when he comes back he'll pay off all their debts and everybody'll get rich. Really. That he'll pay off their debts. I want (sorta) him to come back so they'll see the truth.

But then, Thida & co. would be first in line to assassinate him if he tried to exert any actual authority.

The headline could have more accurately read "not yet to indict". The evidence needs organising for a criminal case, and efforts need be made to fill evidential gaps. I don't find it surprising for the AG to opt for the joint AG-NACC committee approach.

I thought like you but you are right, they did not reject but posponed the indict while looking for more evidence. Journalism in Thailand is appalling.

The journalists are not too bad, but the subeditors who write the headlines would do better to first read the stories.

"We need to show the court in detail how the accused committed the crimes. You cannot just say summarily that corruption took place at every stage if the scheme without elaborating. You need to tell the court how the corruption happened," he said.

Really? You can't just convict by screaming "corruption" loudly? You have to check whether or not it took place first? Huh....

Well ain't that something. They need to explain how it happened. Wow.

So, on the basis that one of the reasons for the coup was corruption in the rice scheme, can Thailand have its democracy back now?

Do you honestly believe Thailand had a democracy before the coup? Your defense that there was not widespread corruption in the rice scheme is what it is, but you and many others keep forgetting Yingluck is being charged with neglect of duty. I really dont believe it to hard to prove that she was negligent in her duty as the Chairperson of the rice commit or as the prime minister for that matter. Unless of course she changes her defense tactic and admits she was merely a puppet (clone) to her brother, and truly had no idea what was going on.

IMHO, right now the issue isn't about misconduct (neglect), which I don't think would interest the OAG, but about malfeasance, which is a criminal act.

I

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"We need to show the court in detail how the accused committed the crimes. You cannot just say summarily that corruption took place at every stage if the scheme without elaborating. You need to tell the court how the corruption happened," he said.

You can in the Supreme Court of TVF. coffee1.gif

Not with judge Fab4 presiding.

From the many articles about the real investigation into the warehouses, it is clear that some corruption occurred. Some missing, some of a lower quality than documented & some of dubious origin.

Personally I don't think YL was directly involved in personal enrichment from the scheme. Some 'friends of PTP' very likely did enrich themselves. YL saying that no corruption occurred is normal political BS and those who 'didn't find any corruption' would be very difficult to charge.

I'm not surprised at this news as pursuing a weak case would be worse than dropping it. I suspect that it will fade into oblivion.

The journalists are not too bad, but the subeditors who write the headlines would do better to first read the stories.

It's the translators. Thai-language journalism is not bad at all. Could be better, IMO, but doesn't have this kind of silly inaccuracy.

This should not be unexpected.... So many have been cleared of all charges recently on both side that it would not surprise me if a deal was made so the Junta could move the country forward without any uprisings of the people.

The only thing I hope will not happen is that they let her brother come back without a lengthy prison sentence.

Let YL do her shopping trips and stay out of politics... Let Suthep study his new found religion as a monk and stay out of politics. Keep the peace and make so none of the old get a chance to form new parties or run in any future elections. Prison is not going to make YL feel guilty for losing the country billions of THB and for the lies she stated that all the rice was in inventory and all was of good quality. She has done her merits for this already. Thailand will never recoup the money lost for her deeds.

Told you so a few weeks ago you naive TV hopefuls, a deal was made a long time ago. Next step: come back, we will "talk"

You can in the Supreme Court of TVF. coffee1.gif

speaking of evidence, I keep reading of 500B bhat of "damages to the state" but never did see what those damages were.

Any info? Otherwise, it seems like a lot of 'hand-waving' & 'trust me, it's true' by the NACC

Okay, the Nation is now using the headline "Attorney General declines to prosecute Yingluck - for now", whilst the Post is going with "OAG shunts Yingluck case to joint panel".

Article 272 provides no deadline for the completion of the further work of the joint OAG-NACC committee, but the OAG has specified 2 weeks in this instance. I find this a rather short period, which may suggest that the evidence as almost ready for the OAG to proceed with indictment.

Good because she didn't do anything, can't indict without evidence.

I think that is one of the problems ... She didn't do anything. Being head of the rice committee she should have been aware of the huge losses.

See, this is where I get confused:

Yingluck "should have been" aware of "huge losses" (monetary), didn't do anything about it and she is guilty in the eyes of the TVF Supreme Court.

OK, that's one way of looking at it, but

abhisit and suthep were aware of "huge losses" (of human lives), they did do something (revise the ROE's thus resulting in more deaths), yet they are not guilty in the eyes of the TVF Supreme Court.........................

How does that work again?

Edited by fab4

I think that is one of the problems ... She didn't do anything. Being head of the rice committee she should have been aware of the huge losses.

Yingluck "should have been" aware of "huge losses" (monetary), didn't do anything about it and she is guilty in the eyes of the TVF Supreme Court.

abhisit and suthep were aware of "huge losses" (of human lives), they did do something (revise the ROE's thus resulting in more deaths), yet they are not guilty in the eyes of the TVF Supreme Court.........................

That works when you compare apples and oranges.

• Like 1

Well it works if you consider what the events were - MIB & all. But that is off topic and should be debated in a relevant thread.

This is all about "face". After all the bluster and speculation it now transpires that there is no evidence. Solution: send it to a committee and it will be quietly forgotten.

There will be no further attempts to prosecute. She will also be free to run again. She put everything on the line by returning to LOS. Kudos, Prime Minister. There is hope for Thai democracy yet.

• Like 1

There will be no further attempts to prosecute. She will also be free to run again. She put everything on the line by returning to LOS. Kudos, Prime Minister. There is hope for Thai democracy yet.

1. They said they may still prosecute.

2. She is currently free to run again.

3. What does the General have to do with this?

4. There isn't much hope for democracy if Thaksin runs another puppet for election.

• Like 2