Number of foreign visitors to Thailand lower than expected so far this year

webfact

Number of foreign visitors lower than expected so far this year
By Digital Content

14098166371131.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 4 -- The Ministry of Tourism and Sports admitted that the number of foreign visitors to Thailand was lower than targeted this year, so it will increasingly promote tourism in the country next year.

Suwat Sidthilaw, permanent secretary, said that foreign visitors to Thailand this year should number 25.5 million and generate Bt1.8 trillion worth of national income.

It earlier targeted 28 million foreign visitors and Bt2 trillion in tourism-related national income.

He attributed the failure to meet the target to political problems earlier this year.

The ministry hoped that the national income from tourism should reach Bt2.2 trillion next year as targeted.

It will promote Thai tourism in all dimensions, supporting the meetings, incentives, conventions and exhibitions (MICE) sector and solve legal and other obstacles to tourism.

Nopparat Maythaveekulchai, president of the Thailand Convention & Exhibition Bureau (TCEB), said MICE visitors should number 880,000 and help generate Bt87.2 billion of national revenue this year.

The bureau would increase its promotion of Thailand as an outstanding destination for incentive trips and international conferences next year, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-09-04

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not true -- ask TAT. The decline was from illegal farangs teaching in Thailand no longer being counted in the numbers as tourists for border runs, and now the border Immigration official's have been told to be "understanding" -- which means "white people teachers yes, Filipinos and others 'no" Yeah, that's it! It's the farang's fault! Problem solved!

I swear Thais think no one else can read critically...

tongue.png

• Like 1

So TOT is going to focus on "all dimensions" of the MICE sector... a sector responsible for just over 4.8% of the revenue total this year. Brilliant. Unless it is a sector that "should" be responsible for 50% and they are going to make it perform to expectation, they are pissing up a rope again.

It's almost like they are trying to force foreigners to come here with their constant obsession about tourist numbers and mass tourism. What for? So they can be subjected to dual pricing? Haha

Anyway, we are all free to choose where we want to go, and the fact is, everyone I know living in various countries has been to Thailand. It's been done now let's move onto some new destinations and some more interesting news.

All countries that have big tourists industries regularly report tourist numbers. You only hear about it more here because it gets repeated on this forum. They aren't obsessed with tourist numbers. They just set targets and try to work towards those figures. Nothing at all wrong with that. I haven't heard of even one tourist that was forced to come here.

If it doesn't interest you, then no need to read about it and comment. It seems that it's you that is obsessed with the figures. In any case, sounds like you've been here so you'll be off somewhere more interesting. So thanks for visiting and goodbye.

Just the other week TAT made a statement that tourism is up by so many percent,

Now it's not reaching the target ?

And tomorrow?

It's hard to understand why TAT always struggles to tell the truth

That is correct. The number of tourists is up but not as much as they were expecting. Simple.

Perhaps tourists are scared of the recent implementation of draconian laws and ever changing rules and regulations. Tourists from so called 'free' countries don't like being told when to be in bed (curfew), having to carry their passports with them at all times, report to immigration everytime they change accomodation and being subject to random piss testing be it walking down the street at night or laying on the beach during the day.

Maybe you're not familiar with 'free' countries. If visiting many Western European countries (often regarded as free), you have to report to police, carry ID at all times (even if you're a citizen of that country) and can be stopped and search at any time, as many are. There isn't much difference at all, except that you seem to ignore the bad things that happen in 'free' countries. Just loom at the 'free' USA. They even tell their citizen where they can and can't go on holiday. You can also be jailed for life for small offences like smoking cannabis. Give me Thailand over 'free' America any day. America has some of the most draconian laws in the world.

With respect, you are sitting in a mousetrap here too. Don't think it cannot snap shut in any one of us for a multitude of reasons.

• Like 1

The ministry hoped that the national income from tourism should reach Bt2.2 trillion next year as targeted.

Without the Visa runners, it will probably go far down significantly.

Glass ball planning with hope and inaccurate data.

Immigration never seemed to understand that as visa runners chalk up more "tourist arrivals" other tourists researching places to go are influenced by the Pumped up arrival numbers. Same tourists researching for a vacation spot will be influenced by declining numbers. As for the Chinese, sooner or later they will start looking for a more prestigious location to brag to their friends about.

I have just returned from a short break in Cambodia, and as much as it was a nice change, I DEFINETLY could not

Live there, Rubbish and Litter everywhere, conditions of the roads were dismal..., quality of life would be less for sure.

For me anyway..

On a positive note, the Cambodians were very friendly and they spoke basic English....

Food was nice...

It is amazing the number of people who criticize Thailand and have no idea of life in

other countries other than there own.

The last timed I was there I had a guide who spoke English but didn't understand it. LOL.

Also they use American dollars.

And tomorrow?

That is correct. The number of tourists is up but not as much as they were expecting. Simple.

Seems like when I first came here or the second time they were setting targets of

15 and a half million and the same criticism they get here now was there then.

Seems like TAT is the national perennial whipping boy no matter what they say

or no matter how many tourists come to Thailand.

I am figuring on a large amount of them come high season. The ones who were

worried about the political instability made plans and went some where else.

There is no more political instability. (just whiners) People planning for the last

month or two know better and politics will not enter into their plans.

I know it is not a big increase but people in other countries are starting to be

able to afford to travel again.wai.gif

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 1

And tomorrow?

Up from previous month? And not as much as last year ?

You could get a job at TAT with your spins

I have just returned from a short break in Cambodia, and as much as it was a nice change, I DEFINETLY could not

Live there, Rubbish and Litter everywhere, conditions of the roads were dismal..., quality of life would be less for sure.

For me anyway..

On a positive note, the Cambodians were very friendly and they spoke basic English....

Food was nice...

It is amazing the number of people who criticize Thailand and have no idea of life in

other countries other than there own.

The last timed I was there I had a guide who spoke English but didn't understand it. LOL.

Also they use American dollars.

Sorry but you have lost me ???

And tomorrow?

Bunch of idiots.... like so many other "official" authorities in Thailand coffee1.gif

For a country full of xenophobes, they are sure complaining a lot

XENOPHOBES? No! It's Thainess ! It was mandated back in 1939.

Read the 12 mandates by dictator Phibunsongkhram, military man who seized power, sent the king into exile and appointed himself as Prime Minister. He is the one who so expeditiously open the door of the country to the Japanese army that made itself at home for 2 years.

In one of the edicts, he specifies how Thais should be leery of foreigners, etc.