The Fattening of Thailand

webfact

I take issue with the remark re: usually Thai food is considered healthy. Three of my friends and I have developed high blood pressure since moving here. My doctor said, stop eating soy sauce, fish sauce and using MSG. That means no more Thai food.

And oyster sauce, palm oil, coconut milk, shrimp, squid, etc, etc. Fish sauce is pure salt. Something many just don't need.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an athlete (when I was a lad), I learned very clearly that you cannot out exercise your diet. This means that no matter how much exercise you do, you cannot lose or control your weight if you do not control your diet. So, even if you live a sedentary lifestyle, if you eat in proportion and quality you will not get fat.

Here is a very interesting article on diet - with the word used to mean both 'what you eat' and 'eating certain foods or not eating others in an effort to lose weight', or dieting as a verb.

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/3/6098671/how-to-lose-weight-diet-studies-low-carb-low-fat

The human body can live without sugars but it cannot live without fats.

And different people have different metabolisms. Also, different peoples have different metabolisms. Caucasians tend to get fat around the middle, the belt line. As the great George Orwell wrote in Burmese Days (paraphrasing here) "Asians do not gain weight like westerners. Asians tend to swell up like a ripe fruit". Or something to that effect. I think it is accurate.

I have often wondered about the calorie / sugar / fat / salt or sodium content in Thai dishes. And I have never found a reliable site or source to refer to for this. If academics have looked at this material and published something I have not been able to find it.

Finally, I think a major factor in food consumption is 'satiation' and here Thais have had an advantage over other peoples. Thai food tastes great and most is a powerful taste. Most Thais can identify salty or sweet or sour in degrees that amaze me. But the point is... when food tastes great it is satisfying. And I think people eat less when the flavor is strong. Satisfied the body does not crave more.

Post script:

On another note, it would be nice to know why the vast majority of Thai women have perfect heart shaped behinds. That is a mystery worth exploring. I recall when I first realized it, some 20 + years ago, after about 2 weeks in country. I was astounded and started to count the number of large or unshapely bums I could spot in a day. Not many, and I am certain I had statistically significant samples.

It certainly is true you cant out-train bad diet. I always trained hard but got quite fat mainly because of alcohol and bad foods. I made a change and got lean, getting lean while exercising works better to keep muscle and of course its good for your general health. I would always advise exercise but not for weight-loss that comes mainly from your "diet" (not fad diet just food intake). For instance I am in the Netherlands biking country now (normally i do weigh-training back in Thailand) A 55km ride on a bike averaging around 19km doing some stops to buy fruits or other stuff would burn around 600 cals. That is almost less as 1 burger from one of the fast-food joints or just a few beers (i bet most of you can drink many beers in 3 hours). So that is almost nothing and it really is not feasible to bike 2 1/2 hours a day. I can do the same amount in an real intense session of 1 hour and 10 minutes on a rowing machine (far less pleasant but one of the most effective things to do) but doing the rowing machine every day.. no way. Same goes for biking far to time consuming.

So exercise has its place for general health.. energy and helping weight loss but the major part comes from what you eat and how much you eat. If you get it all right exercise and the right diet you will be rewarded with lots of energy and a strong body and a healthy body. But this takes time and you really do need to change. But most wont give up their alcohol or fast food.. so its a choice.

Just preparing your own foods helps a lot too then you are in control of what you put in it. My parents still cook most meals some meat some veggies and some potatoes (but not much as they are not that great). If you want to eat out all the time you loose control. Buying ready made stuff.. that is also asking for trouble. But knowing this all I bet most will still continue it. Does not mean I never eat bad stuff as long as I do it right most of the time its ok.

• Like 2

I'm currently working for the largest private school system in southeast Asia, and their physical education is limited to marching and occasionally sitting down to watch videos on proper marching. They have NO time off for lunch to run around and just be kids - the minute they're finished eating they are whisked back to class to get yelled at and hit with rulers. And the food is the worst kind of tripe imagineable. They DO, however, have a great snack bar where they can buy a multitude of processed sugar during the few minutes made available to them, and the Milo group comes by several times a year to give the kids free samples.

When I first came to Thailand 13 years ago, it was very rare to see an overweight Thai person.

If I saw an obese person approaching from a block away in Bangkok, I was pretty sure it was a foreigner and not a Thai.

Today, the obesity problem in Thailand is alarming.

I ask myself "what has changed?"

It is the availability of western junk food!

Mcc Donald's, KFC, chips, Pepsi,, Coke, french fries ..processed food with high fruitcose corn syrup.

The introduction of a western like diet has introduced a western like obesity problem.

I was about to make a similar point and whilst it's not universally true, I do think you see more overweight Thais in the Farang areas. Travelling around Issan, there are certainly FEWER overweight Thais by comparison. They still "graze" throughout their day and of course many, but not all of them do manual jobs which burn excess calories anyway.

Now I'm thinking that many of the Thai people in Phuket, Pattaya etc originate from Issan region, and are gaining weight now they've moved.

Clearly the babies of these migrants are being born in the Farang areas and are growing up eating as their parents do.

Doesn't this give "food for thought"? Pun intended smile.png

Edited by VBF

I think this is just a normal process as Thailand develops from an Emerging country to a more developed country. As people escape poverty they consume more sugar and meat and once they become more affluent and educated, people will become more health conscious and the overweight problem will be tackled. You see this in countries that have gone through this process like Singapore. And in Western developed countries you often see that less educated, poorer part of society tend to be more overweight.

The more affluent the people are the more they will spend on unhealthy food and get overweight or obese.

Look at the difference between Malaysia 44% obese, and Viet Nam or Cambodia, 10 to 12% obesity.

Malaysia being the richest country in the area Viet Nam or Cambodia the poorest.

America and Europe still have not found any remedy to the problem, although they are spending billions to educate the people as to what healthy eating is.

Sometimes, wealth doesn't help our health issues and I don't foresee any change for the future.

So by your reckoning only people with money are fat? Sorry but that's rubbish

How do you explain the obesity in poor people in the west then?

Compared to Thailand there are no poor people in the west. It is through parents ignorance and laziness who feed their families from Macky D and KFC every day instead of cooking a proper meal. When the kids say they are hungry they stuff a packet of crisps in their hands instead of something more healthy like fruit. They are not poor if they can afford to buy carry outs every day

Modernization ... Thailand has entered the global world of the obesity epidemic.

Where overweight issues are more of a health threat than hunger and starvation.

Rather than relying on tired old morality lectures from Grandma's era, perhaps start to get educated about how things really are different now?

I highly recommend this series.

The Men Who Made Us Fat

12 part series all on youtube.

Here is part one. The remainder available from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE-H__aIEFE&list=PLA0E2B2461B536A26&index=1&feature=plpp_video

After that, try, also multiple episodes.

The Men Who Made Us Thin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-_LoAm_etU

Yes, SUGAR is a big part of this. Used to be a luxury food. Now it's everyday, in large quantities, HIDDEN in all kinds of modern processed food (often you can't even taste it).

For Thailand it is not too late to avoid becoming the next BIG thing ... like Mexico, a middle wealth country that is incredibly obese. It is not only about the individual and not only about education. Changes in the FOOD INDUSTRY and involvement by government is absolutely necessary.

Best video on the case - thank you, Jingthing!!!

The more affluent the people are the more they will spend on unhealthy food and get overweight or obese.

Look at the difference between Malaysia 44% obese, and Viet Nam or Cambodia, 10 to 12% obesity.

Malaysia being the richest country in the area Viet Nam or Cambodia the poorest.

There is less obesity in poorer countries, but in wealthier countries there's a strong link is between poverty and obesity - you're most at risk if you're poor but in a rich country.

America and Europe still have not found any remedy to the problem, although they are spending billions to educate the people as to what healthy eating is.

I think people are starting to see that education was the cause of the problem. There has been a huge emphasis on reducing dietary fat when the emphasis should have been on reducing sugar.

The single best step you can take immediately to ward off obesity - stop drinking soft drinks and fruit juices.

Spot on! The fuss about fats has been used by the food industry to divert attention from the levels of sugar in almost all processed foods - and it is sugar that is driving obesity (and diabetes).

• Like 2

I'm currently working for the largest private school system in southeast Asia, and their physical education is limited to marching and occasionally sitting down to watch videos on proper marching. They have NO time off for lunch to run around and just be kids - the minute they're finished eating they are whisked back to class to get yelled at and hit with rulers. And the food is the worst kind of tripe imagineable. They DO, however, have a great snack bar where they can buy a multitude of processed sugar during the few minutes made available to them, and the Milo group comes by several times a year to give the kids free samples.

School?!? Sounds more like a military camp.

Yes, because so many youngsters now lead a sedentary lifestyle, couch potatoes, computer freaks, no exercise, eat high sugar, high carb, quite high fat. The looming obesity epidemic will overwhelm the health system and cause much personal suffering and tragedy. It should be high priority for the incoming govt.

I agree with everything you say but the carbs. Along with overeating and little exercise, it is high amounts of animal protein that is causing the problem here and everywhere else. Most foods are smothered with veg oil and then we have the introduction of fast food burger joints and all you can eat places which the big folk love.

And yes, only way to sort it is education. Eat predominantly veg/fruit and carbohydrates, little, if any, meat. Won't happen because it's boring and 7-11 doesn't do it!!

For those without a medical problem, there should be a fat tax ;)

Incredible! We've gone thru 77 posts now w/o one Occupy rant blaming McDonald's, KFC, Starbucks, and other global corporations for the problem! (But knock on wood, eh).

And so many posts spot on about the sugar & carbs in THAI food & Thai eating habits. The realization that it's much more about diet than exercise has also taken hold. Some members formerly lost in the darkness have come into the light. smile.png

What wonderful progress. Big difference from the threads on the same subject from a few years back.

Spread the word! Me, I have managed to convince a couple of Thais to stop eating sugar and even rice--believe it not. Both now look great. However, both had been unhappy w/ the way things were going w/ their weight & health. The best candidates for conversion are those whom you happen to hear complaining already. Ease into the subject of "change"--so terrifying--with the suggestion of just "trying." And give a good example yourself. Artificial sweetener (which can be "natural"--don't wanna press the hot button to hard here) can be helpful, BTW.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

Tax sugar. Tax it at 100% or 150%.

Sugar is the enemy.

Well, better let's tax stupidity in Thailand, more revenue and more funds to fight the sugar and food industry smile.png

There's just nothing so satisfying as calling Thais stupid and so affirming one's own superiority, eh.

I take issue with the remark re: usually Thai food is considered healthy. Three of my friends and I have developed high blood pressure since moving here. My doctor said, stop eating soy sauce, fish sauce and using MSG. That means no more Thai food.

No it doesn't.

Someone should make a decent movie...not The Shining; but 'The Fattening' Now that would be a horror one. Could be shot in Dunkin D+Nuts or the Colonels joints. Starring Christopher Lee as Dr Aspartame..or is he dead? One never knows. Might even be better than La Grande Bouffe.

• Like 1

Its the worlds reliance on Starchy carbs and Sugar to feed the population that is the problem. Farming and the eating of cereal crops began only around 3000 years ago, we are not evolved to live on that kind of diet. More protein is required as a replacement for the Mass of Carbohydrates. Unfortunately it takes 30 times the energy to get say 100kcal of protein than it does with Carbs and sugar. Its food for the masses

Go into any shop for a "Snack" 7-11 family Mart , try and buy something to eat that isn't loaded with Carbs or Sugar

• Like 1

It seems to many to be "common sense" that education is the key to preventing obesity.

But "common sense" is often superficial.

To prevent obesity, societies need to go further.

Prevention (starting with youth) is the key because accept it or not, moralize or not, once a person has become obese, statistically their odds of reversing that in the long term are objectively known to be quite small.

Is a ban on sugary drinks really necessary? Isn’t educating people to make healthy choices a better option?

While useful, education and improved access to healthy foods are simply not enough to turn around the obesity epidemic that threatens to cripple this nation. The current environment strongly promotes choices that contribute to obesity, and changes need to be made to the environment that make healthier choices the default rather than the exception.

http://www.massgeneral.org/about/newsarticle.aspx?id=3743

“Childhood obesity is a growing problem in New Zealand too and we need some serious money to deal with it. We know that more often than not fat children become fat adults,” says Celia Murphy, Executive Director of the Obesity Action Coalition.

“If we don’t get to work on preventing obesity in children now, many children will end up dying of obesity-related illnesses before their parents. Just talking about the problem isn’t going solve it, there needs to be commitment of money from the government.”
​...

Its role is to advocate for a wide range of initiatives including government policy, regulations and legislation that will positively influence obesity rates.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/GE0310/S00083/strategy-not-enough-to-prevent-childhood-obesity.htm

Sometimes, wealth doesn't help our health issues and I don't foresee any change for the future.

I haven't looked up the relevant data but I'd be very surprised if the percentage and degree of obesity in continental Europe is even remotely as bad as America.

It seems to many to be "common sense" that education is the key to preventing obesity.

But "common sense" is often superficial.

To prevent obesity, societies need to go further.

Prevention (starting with youth) is the key because accept it or not, moralize or not, once a person has become obese, statistically their odds of reversing that in the long term are objectively known to be quite small.

Is a ban on sugary drinks really necessary? Isn’t educating people to make healthy choices a better option?

While useful, education and improved access to healthy foods are simply not enough to turn around the obesity epidemic that threatens to cripple this nation. The current environment strongly promotes choices that contribute to obesity, and changes need to be made to the environment that make healthier choices the default rather than the exception.

http://www.massgeneral.org/about/newsarticle.aspx?id=3743

“Childhood obesity is a growing problem in New Zealand too and we need some serious money to deal with it. We know that more often than not fat children become fat adults,” says Celia Murphy, Executive Director of the Obesity Action Coalition.

“If we don’t get to work on preventing obesity in children now, many children will end up dying of obesity-related illnesses before their parents. Just talking about the problem isn’t going solve it, there needs to be commitment of money from the government.”

​...

Its role is to advocate for a wide range of initiatives including government policy, regulations and legislation that will positively influence obesity rates.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/GE0310/S00083/strategy-not-enough-to-prevent-childhood-obesity.htm

I rather have obese people walking around then living somewhere that prohibits people who are not obese to eat what they want. Its again a measure that hits everyone (like most bans) to supposedly help a weak group.

I am against that and will always be against banning of stuff. If they made it obese specific, like not allowing obese people to eat out in restaurants or buy certain items I could live with it. They are of course the group that needs to be helped. A ban should never hit those that are on healthy weight. (still find it bad to ban but if you have to ban like you want too make sure you only hit those that need the extra help)

Education still works.. just takes longer. Here now in The Netherlands i see far less obese children as in Thailand (young children) Seems education has worked here.

One thing that speaks against education is people who know what is good for them know they are overweight but don't change. They love to eat and food needs to taste good. I know of those people even in my family. I feel its their choice, though maybe obese should pay more health insurance and stuff like that. Or get a discount for those on a healthy weight.

If you want bans and action JT target those that are obese.. not those that are healthy.

The only exception is kids, they do need to be protected.

Nobody is talking about banning foods. w00t.gif

With one exception. As an ingredient TRANSFATS should not be legal in manufactured foods or chain restaurants.

Typical hysterical reaction / SCARE TACTICS / right wing moralistic argument about an imaginary perfect ideal of perfect choice for the individual totally IGNORING the corporate structures that are poisoning our populations in hidden insidious ways. Pumping the cheapest and most widely available foods with stuff almost guaranteed to make people sick. Not providing clear warning labels. You can educate all you like but if the FOOD ENVIRONMENT for the masses is the way that it is and doesn't improve and only government can FORCE the big food industry players to make it improve, that will be a small dent at most.

Also the best bang for the baht is in PREVENTION. Before more people become obese. Once people become obese, it becomes very hard and the long term success rates are low. Plus people have already had their health damaged.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Just in the 5 years I've been in Thailand, I've noticed an increase in overweight Thais.

As for the "experts" who are now saying that sugar is the culprit, IMO they are falling into the same trap that "experts" in the 70s and 80s did when they tried to vilify fat. It's not about one particular food group so much as it is the amount of calories and exercise.

Human beings are generalists when it comes to food. We can thrive on almost anything, which helps explain why our population keeps growing exponentially.