Minivan as camper/security shell....which one?

cheeryble

Bit of a convoluted story, sounds nutty (even to me) but bear with me.

I live in CM.

I have a long history of agoraphobia .....a fear of open places, big flat roads, airports, bridges, and the like.

It got worse on coming to Thailand then years ago and I've not left the country as it is not possible to go by plane.

So i've made the best of it, extended my boundaries, and can travel more or less around northern Thailand, sometimes challenging.

I've been by train to BKK several times, and been on some local trips by Skytrain, but it's kinda horrible.

I've had a couple of beers and managed to get on the BKK CNX flight, but don't seem to have broken the ice to make it properly possible.

So last week i kind of apologised to the missus that we can't go to nice places and what a shame it is for her.

She was wonderful, and said don't worry we can have a nice life, we can get a van, and if you feel bad you can go in the back for as long as necessary. Kinda close the curtains I guess. In fact i envisage some sort of comfortable seating in the back which can be somehow turned into a bed (I think for quite rare use as a bed).

Well not perfect but it might break the ice and let me go by motor to BKK the first time ever and when there can start getting around BKK better. then after I feel safe in more places maybe can start linking them by sky train.

Anyway...

A friend who happened to be a psychologist recommended that he'd owned two Toyota LiteAces in NZ and thought highly of them and not too big to park. But he thought they were never made here.

I in turn have seen a few but that's it, a few. One is a mobile coffee shop I think.

I think the Commuter size is unnecessary, but the LiteAce or perhaps better the size of a VW Kombi may be better.

Speaking of which, a Kombi can be a great little camper....are they very expensive now.....and are they a bot like driving an old truck and use a lot of gas too?

All cogent thoughts gratefully received.

ps one friend has mentioned he has done this more than once years ago in the US and delivery vans with no windows were cheaper then you just add a window or two if you want. That might suit.

First, sorry to hear you have agoraphobia, but it's good to hear that you're making progress and future-thinking.

VW no longer makes the Combi in a campervan configuration, sad to say. Mercedes is making a very nice campervan with all the modcons, but it's bound to be horrifically expensive.

The Toyota Commuter vans are the silver ones you see being used as people transports. They are reliable, and you sit higher than most cars, which makes driving them easier.

Just be cautious about sitting in a closed van with no windows open or without the a/c on. It will get brutally hot inside. I know that little kids and pets die in those situations across the world, but as an adult you'd probably only get really dehydrated - but it's not healthy.

Your wife sounds like an intelligent, supportive woman, as is mine. We are both lucky.

ummm... what is your question, Cherryble?

You ask fow what kind of vehicle is adequate?

If you don't need a van, why not look into a MU-7 or similar, grand Pajero?

Or is there something I missed?

Edited by manarak

thanks for the answers.

I think, maybe HiAce started off about the size of the old VW Kombi (I'm thinking of the old ones used for surfing etc, which perhaps also grew a bit with the later squarer versions), and I think that's a good size.

I'm thinking this size....but hey anythings possible.

Maybe even instead of....or as well as.....a bed it could have a fake lay-z-boy or two bolted in the back.

I had thought of a decent condition oldish one, but it occurs to me that as this is such an important thing for me and it would be great to feel really comfortable maybe I could really spend some money and get a quite luxurious version of something and it could earn it's keep being rented out or something.

Edited by cheeryble

thanks for the answers.

I think, maybe HiAce started off about the size of the old VW Kombi (I'm thinking of the old ones used for surfing etc, which perhaps also grew a bit with the later squarer versions), and I think that's a good size.

I'm thinking this size....but hey anythings possible.

Maybe even instead of....or as well as.....a bed it could have a fake lay-z-boy or two bolted in the back.

I had thought of a decent condition oldish one, but it occurs to me that as this is such an important thing for me and it would be great to feel really comfortable maybe I could really spend some money and get a quite luxurious version of something and it could earn it's keep being rented out or something.

Ok, now I understand better, you want a van that's not too big, i.e. a minivan.

What about the Honda Odyssey?

http://automobiles.honda.com/odyssey/

it has enough space to lay down at the back

Edited by manarak

Thanks for all the links....I'm not very good at digging on Thai sites.....highly informative.

I notice the types like the Nissan Urvan (may be very suitable and LPG too) and Foton with four rows look very reasonably priced by Thai standards.

I can only guess they really rack up the miles to several hundred thou working them daily, then sell just as they are at the turning point where major refurb will be necessary.

Because thinking about it....why would they sell them any sooner when they're capable of earning money.

So I guess I'd need to research this and see what IS available.

I guess this may not apply to the ones pointed out which are more like a people carrier car as they're more likely to be for private use.....but as ArthurWait said I think one would get used to the HiAce size and then you've got the advantage of space to really bunk down if you want. (And bunking down and relaxing in a place would help me a lot....the best possible think against agoraphobia is to remain in the feared situation for some time after one has relaxed.....and one always does relax in the end.)

I also noticed one or two already had high roofs which might be good.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by cheeryble

Purchase a second hand American Day van from Bangkok, they have curtains and a rear seat that can be folded flat into a bed

Small Mini Van/Camper ? w00t.gif

5.7 or 6 lt petrol engine, would have to plan your route well with lots of petrol stations on the way..... Plus a descent 10 year old one cost 1 million baht.sad.png

smaller engine one http://www.one2car.com/CHEVROLET_EXPRESS/C26140369

unless your thinking of a 20 year old one at 4 - 500,000 baht ?.

or go the other way 399,000 Brand New or 2 years old @ 245,000 baht + runs on LPG

http://showroom.one2car.com/carDetail.aspx?car_id=h06140642

Edit: also in the Mini Van type...... Toyota Sparky or Daihatsu Atrai-7

Edited by ignis

Ignis this is marvellous you're a source of inspiration.

To give SM89 credit he may come from that strange country where 6 litre engines are commonplace, though they horrify me :-), but I sure it's good to get the whole range and that's why your smaller recommendations are so interesting they actually ain't so bad at all, much cheaper, and brand names I never even heard of!

Yesterday perchance saw the later style of Kombi with a for sale sign on outside CMU.

I went for a peep inside but this one was a bit tatty around the gills though it said kreung di good engine.

Anyway thanks Ignis and all I continue this research.....I will visit an old Thai gym pal soon he's a

Thai Indian who has a used car lot he may know where vans are sold in CM.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by cheeryble