Pattaya officials given time to clean up beach, but military is watching

Rimmer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fail to see how all of these changes will increase tourism. People who visit Pattaya are not going there to enjoy fine beaches and scenery whatever they do to the beach it will never qualify. Pattaya will never lose it's reputation and will never attract family oriented tourism in any numbers. It is what it is. However in saying that the cleanup involving the removal of threats such as ladyboy hassle, bag snatchers etc is surely a good thing for all. I just don't see why the authorities would expect any huge increase in tourism as a result. In fact when they go too far (and they will) by getting rid of all the gogo bars and severely restricting beer bar activities there will be surely a dramatic decrease in visitors. These missing visitors will never be replaced with families, there are just too many nice alternative places to holiday.

Den

if you check out the reviews on the hotel booking sites you will see that many people do come to Pattaya for the beaches and many dont return because of the polluted state they are in, no complaints about the street workers tho, they arent threatening to anybody in general

By all means clean up the beach but I wonder if any attention could be paid to Jomtien: Huge, deep holes in the sidewalks, the holes so old 5 foot tall weeds are growing in them; when you are not falling in the gaping holes you are being hit in the head by all the signs blocking the sidewalks; Jomtien Second Road so dirty grass is growing in the street; sidewalks all poorly constructed and so filled with weeds its hard to see there are actually sidewalks; large stretch of Jomtien Second Road has street lights but they have never worked; 30 to 40 roaming stray dogs on southern part of Jomtien Beach Road; traffic lights poorly timed--sometimes turn from green to red before the second car gets thru the intersection; horrible ugly traffic barriers all over the city--some awful concrete and some awful metal and all placed haphazardly; inadequate, very unsafe U Turn lanes--most only wide enough for a motorcycle; awful, old trash cans everywhere most with no lids and never enough of them--why not replace them with ad sponsored new, more numerous ones?; bus stops on the streets but no buses--pity the tourist who stands there waiting in vain for a non-existent bus; no traffic enforcement anywhere--in 4 years I have never seen a car pulled over for any traffic infraction, just motorcycle riders with no helmet; I could go on and on but really everything you look at is so poorly done. And I know someone will write in and say if i dont like living here MOVE! I DO like living here but there's no harm in pointing out areas for improvement. Pattaya can do better.

I was reading through and was going to write something similar. If they want to improve the image of Pattaya/Jomtien..............YES............fix the holes in the sidewalk. Unbelievable that these gaping trenches have not hurt anyone. New paved block sidewalks a few years back poorly constructed that the water runoff washed out the foundation sand. I can't walk the sidewalk without going zig zag from sidewalk to the street, around cars, up steps by storefronts and back down again. Awful appearance to the city.

If they take the umbrellas away from Jomthien, you won't see me there. We usually go with 6-10 people, get a table, eat and drink while the kids go playing in the sea. Can't be arsed to have any picnic thingy.

Do you, really, take kids there and let them go that sewage, or just being a tricky troll?

Welcome to Thailand. No standards here. How about a stop sign on the other side of the intersection as a small example. No sense is nonsense.

What is a sidewalk ?

a) an obstacle course

B) a place for business

c) a place for hookers and perverts to barter

d) all of the above

By all means clean up the beach but I wonder if any attention could be paid to Jomtien: Huge, deep holes in the sidewalks, the holes so old 5 foot tall weeds are growing in them; when you are not falling in the gaping holes you are being hit in the head by all the signs blocking the sidewalks; Jomtien Second Road so dirty grass is growing in the street; sidewalks all poorly constructed and so filled with weeds its hard to see there are actually sidewalks; large stretch of Jomtien Second Road has street lights but they have never worked; 30 to 40 roaming stray dogs on southern part of Jomtien Beach Road; traffic lights poorly timed--sometimes turn from green to red before the second car gets thru the intersection; horrible ugly traffic barriers all over the city--some awful concrete and some awful metal and all placed haphazardly; inadequate, very unsafe U Turn lanes--most only wide enough for a motorcycle; awful, old trash cans everywhere most with no lids and never enough of them--why not replace them with ad sponsored new, more numerous ones?; bus stops on the streets but no buses--pity the tourist who stands there waiting in vain for a non-existent bus; no traffic enforcement anywhere--in 4 years I have never seen a car pulled over for any traffic infraction, just motorcycle riders with no helmet; I could go on and on but really everything you look at is so poorly done. And I know someone will write in and say if i dont like living here MOVE! I DO like living here but there's no harm in pointing out areas for improvement. Pattaya can do better.

I was reading through and was going to write something similar. If they want to improve the image of Pattaya/Jomtien..............YES............fix the holes in the sidewalk. Unbelievable that these gaping trenches have not hurt anyone. New paved block sidewalks a few years back poorly constructed that the water runoff washed out the foundation sand. I can't walk the sidewalk without going zig zag from sidewalk to the street, around cars, up steps by storefronts and back down again. Awful appearance to the city.

Phuket is probably a much deeper dump than Pattaya is. And Pattaya is a real cash cow for many BKK people, too.

A little more delicate to handle this place. And hopefully they just keep it as it is, but theft and robberies.

Phuket is not a deeper or worse dump than Pattaya. Apart from parts of Patong there are many fantastic areas of beauty and interest. But from the tone of your post I'm guessing you're mainly there for the slags as you want to keep it as it is except for the theft and robberies. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why it's good for the army to bulldoze beach bars and restaurants in Phuket but not Pattaya?

Phuket is the largest island in Thailand, Pattaya is a single City in Chonburi, perhaps it is better to compare Pattaya and Patong.

There aren't any Beach Bars in Pattaya to be bulldozed. There are some shack type paces the Beach vendors/ deck chair guys use, and of course many buildings between Tai and Bali Hai, non of which are bars that can be accessed from the sea area. Many are large restaurants built on steel pylons.

Surprised to see many claiming Pattaya will never be change, it certainly could and would have to if the effort was put into it.

But you know how it goes here, if it works, don't fix it!

• Like 1

Last night at sunset, myself and a friend took a walk on the beach side of Beach Road from Central Festival to Soi 13/4.

Rats in the sand were scampering about - in twos, threes and in literal families, as they dined on the waste left scattered about or conveniently placed in plastic baskets by the beach chair concessionaires.

The larger ones left designs in the sand, made by their fat tails, as they roamed freely and oblivious to our nearby presence.

Some local folks reclined on their straw mats, apparently unconcerned that these four-legged scavengers were within arms reach, or that their tom yam condiments may have inadvertently included rats droppings, urine and fleas.

Rats and other vermin are an unavoidable consequence of human habitation, as is the garbage that is a byproduct of our numbers.

Perhaps the TAT brochures that depict Pattaya and Jomtien as sun drenched destinations, should include disclaimers that the rats are indeed Pattaya cats, and that there is no need to be concerned by their numbers.

Speaking of rats.

I've watched the jet ski guys and the fat lady that oversees the scams (bottom of Soi 11) throw their garbage all over the beach.

Chicken bones, styrofoam containers, bottles, etc.

They just leave their "work" area a mess everyday.

The jets ski gang (deleted) and the rats have a symbiotic relationship.

(one word edited out by moderator)

• Like 1

If they take the umbrellas away from Jomthien, you won't see me there. We usually go with 6-10 people, get a table, eat and drink while the kids go playing in the sea. Can't be arsed to have any picnic thingy.

Don't you mean "while the kids go playing in the sewerage" coffee1.gif

The jet skis are there because they are offered.

They are a big mosquito pain in the ass and Thailand can do without them.

Rid of them all !!!!

There is a tight group of people even more powerful than the army.

Could one of them be offering the jet skis thugs protection?

On a good day, they probably scam 200,000 - 300,000 baht.

365 days a year = 73,000,000 - 109,500,000 Baht.

That's possible on Pattaya Beach alone. Add up all the other resorts. WOW!

I. In fact when they go too far (and they will) by getting rid of all the gogo bars and severely restricting beer bar activities there will be surely a dramatic decrease in visitors. These missing visitors will never be replaced with families, there are just too many nice alternative places to holiday.

Den

Unless you have some facts on the military getting rid of all the go-go bars: like a statement or previous example, it is an inaccurate exaggeration .

Edited by morrobay

Phuket is probably a much deeper dump than Pattaya is. And Pattaya is a real cash cow for many BKK people, too.

A little more delicate to handle this place. And hopefully they just keep it as it is, but theft and robberies.

Phuket is not a deeper or worse dump than Pattaya. Apart from parts of Patong there are many fantastic areas of beauty and interest. But from the tone of your post I'm guessing you're mainly there for the slags as you want to keep it as it is except for the theft and robberies. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why it's good for the army to bulldoze beach bars and restaurants in Phuket but not Pattaya?

Phuket is the largest island in Thailand, Pattaya is a single City in Chonburi, perhaps it is better to compare Pattaya and Patong.

There aren't any Beach Bars in Pattaya to be bulldozed. There are some shack type paces the Beach vendors/ deck chair guys use, and of course many buildings between Tai and Bali Hai, non of which are bars that can be accessed from the sea area. Many are large restaurants built on steel pylons.

Surprised to see many claiming Pattaya will never be change, it certainly could and would have to if the effort was put into it.

But you know how it goes here, if it works, don't fix it!

I for one, was sad to see the beach bars and restaurants in Phuket get demolished. Like Pattaya I never go to Patong as there's nothing there of interest to me. But places like Layan beach were nice and chilled, you could get a sunbed and parasol for shade. There were showers to rinse off after a swim and toilet facilities etc. Nothing nicer than a sundown beer or cocktail. Now there's no choice but to lay on the sand, no toilets, no cold water or lunch etc etc. I'm aware that Phuket is an island and Pattaya isn't (I lived there since 2001!) but if we compare Patong to Pattaya, Patong seems like a Salvation army resort! I know it's horses for course but I would rather stick needles in my eyes than live or even visit Pattaya but there again I'm settled and don't need the services of Russian street walkers - or any street walker come to that!

1/. Pattaya Beach is disgusting. If you do not believe me go to the Beach opposite Mike Department store in Beach Road at dusk and from the boardwalk look down onto the sand and see dozens of RATS scurrying around eating scraps left by those laying on the beach during the daytime. Suggest get rid of the real RATs the fourlegged ones that are a plague on the beach at dusk and during the night.

2./ Pattaya City rubbish removal is also disgusting and likely to cause a severe disease outbreak. The rubbish collectors instead of just picking up the trash bags and putting them into the compactor truck split the bags open in the road and do their own scavenging. By splitting the bags open there is putrid waste spilled all over the road the truck drives off leaving the mess on the road and forcing the pedestrians to walk through this waste or the shopowners to hose off this mess. Pattaya City needs to employ contracters who will just remove the rubbish and not scavenge in the middle of the road.

3./ Music outside bar beers and guest house style bars. Bar beers use the excuse of someones birthday to employ a DJ with the biggest and loudest boom box speakers with the base woofer turned up to the max this noise can be heard blocks away. This music is often til 3 am. The Bar beer or small bar does not have an entertainment licence whereas Ago go bars pay for a licence and their music is behind closed doors. Pattaya City need some noise control over these unlicensed bars.

Been said before, the only satisfactory solution has already been given here: The Solution

post-14882-0-15741900-1409976959_thumb.j

I fail to see how all of these changes will increase tourism. People who visit Pattaya are not going there to enjoy fine beaches and scenery whatever they do to the beach it will never qualify. Pattaya will never lose it's reputation and will never attract family oriented tourism in any numbers. It is what it is. However in saying that the cleanup involving the removal of threats such as ladyboy hassle, bag snatchers etc is surely a good thing for all. I just don't see why the authorities would expect any huge increase in tourism as a result. In fact when they go too far (and they will) by getting rid of all the gogo bars and severely restricting beer bar activities there will be surely a dramatic decrease in visitors. These missing visitors will never be replaced with families, there are just too many nice alternative places to holiday.

Den

You are very wrong. Once the all the human garbage is gone from Pattaya, both foreign and local trash, the transformation will only take a couple of years. The people who shunned Pattaya, will start visiting and the criminals, sex tourists and hoodlums will move out. There is no reason that Pattaya can't become like hua Hin in the future. Similar transformations has taken place in other countries. You are just a classic pessimist who don't believe that anything can be done or you are one of the undesirables who don't want any change. Braise yourself. Change is coming.

Den

Braise yourself. Change is coming.

Just a little sunbathing will suffice.

has anyone seen the video clip of the lady tourist sitting on a pattaya beach and then looks like an umbrella chair

hirer approaches her and tells her to leave the beach where he intimidates her by circling her and kicking sand on

her then taking her arm and physically removing her

seems he must own the beach

now looks like the video has been taken off but ncpo prayuth chan-ocha should view this and act 6n these standover

people

• Like 2

has anyone seen the video clip of the lady tourist sitting on a pattaya beach and then looks like an umbrella chair

hirer approaches her and tells her to leave the beach where he intimidates her by circling her and kicking sand on

now looks like the video has been taken off but ncpo prayuth chan-ocha should view this and act 6n these standover

people

I have seen it i do not know what is going on though

Den

You are very wrong. Once the all the human garbage is gone from Pattaya, both foreign and local trash, the transformation will only take a couple of years. The people who shunned Pattaya, will start visiting and the criminals, sex tourists and hoodlums will move out. There is no reason that Pattaya can't become like hua Hin in the future. Similar transformations has taken place in other countries. You are just a classic pessimist who don't believe that anything can be done or you are one of the undesirables who don't want any change. Braise yourself. Change is coming.

On the contrary, you see we want the people who shunned Pattaya to keep shunning it. :) Leave our ho's, pimps, ladyboys, yobs, sex tourists, lesbos, and sleazy pot-bellied farangs in speedos alone! They ain't trash! We don't WANT Hua Hin. Boo!

And did I hear A Prophecy? ;)

• Like 2

people

Do you mean this one? It happened at Koh larn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEZ7XicTTLs

• Like 1

I. In fact when they go too far (and they will) by getting rid of all the gogo bars and severely restricting beer bar activities there will be surely a dramatic decrease in visitors. These missing visitors will never be replaced with families, there are just too many nice alternative places to holiday.

Den

Unless you have some facts on the military getting rid of all the go-go bars: like a statement or previous example, it is an inaccurate exaggeration .

Soooo sorry I do apologize I forgot to add IMHO in there. I do hope TV still allows one to have an opinion. However it seems to be all about enforcement of existing laws and from what has been seen so far the military are the boys to do the enforcing no matter what the cost. Not sure exactly how legal strutting your stuff on stage in the nude is.

Den

Edited by denby45

people

Do you mean this one? It happened at Koh larn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEZ7XicTTLs

Within the last hour has gone onto Bangkok Post's website and has gone "viral" on Thailand Facebook.
  • Like 1

people

I have seen it i do not know what is going on though

Is this the video? Richard Barrow just tweeted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEZ7XicTTLs

• Like 1