Replacing a lost or stolen drivers licence.

evadgib

Hi All,

The search function didn't throw up any answers therefore i'll post a question here:

Is it possible to replace lost or stolen Thai driving licences without having to re-sit a driving test & if so what is the procedure? My local DVLA don't seem to have a 'lost/stolen' procedure and are seemingly insisting on re-testing, which is time consuming (half day) and I suspect erroneous too.

(& NO I haven't lost mine!)

Thank you :)

First go to the police to declare it missing, and with that statement the DVLA will (or should) issue you a new one.

That was the procedure when I did it a couple years ago with no testing required. New DL is issued with same expiry dates as lost one. However things do change.

Would it be necessary to go to the original licence issuing office, or if one has moved upcountry, will any land transport office issue a new licence?

For me ( want a new plastic licence) instead of the paper lifetime licence issued to me 24 years ago with a picture of me as an outdated young handsome man!. It's a long way from Isaan to Pattaya!

I've had mine replaced twice. Luckily I had made a copy of the license so I took one copy to the police station for a report, 20 Baht, and then one plus police report to DMV. No problem. For everyone else out there, be sure and make a copy of BOTH sides of your license while you can!

That's what I thought, but by all accounts it didn't make any difference.

That is what I did the last time I lost mine.

When I got the replacements I scanned them into my computer and and when I went to renew them I have a copy of the lost ones.

Having said that I live in rural Thailand 65 km from Khampaeng Phet where life is a bit slower and the people are more helpful.

First go to the police to declare it missing, and with that statement the DVLA will (or should) issue you a new one.

Agree, I lost mine a couple of years ago. A kind policeman made the report of lost DL for 20 baht (standard fee for a police report) and the Traffic Office issued a new license immediately for a small fee to cover the cost of photo and plastic card; cannot remember, but I think I had to show passport and proof of address. smile.png

Very efficient quick procedure that costs 100 baht. Don't forget to tell the police the exact time you lost the licence. They always ask that with a completely straight face. The correct answer is that I am certain I lost it at 4.37pm and 28 seconds, officer, and they will write that down without blinking.

Agree, I lost mine a couple of years ago. A kind policeman made the report of lost DL for 20 baht (standard fee for a police report) and the Traffic Office issued a new license immediately for a small fee to cover the cost of photo and plastic card; cannot remember, but I think I had to show passport and proof of address. smile.png

Standard fee for a police report?

Standard fee for a police report?

Yes, where I live... thumbsup.gif

The best place on earth to lose anything.I lost my drivers licence and got it replaced the next day-------- all on computer at DLV,or whatever you call it and last year lost my Passport,Yellow Book,and motorbike green book,all in a plastic wallet. The yellow house book took me 5mins to renew and the green book went the next day and got that.Wish I had not reported the passport lost so quickly as they immediately cancelled it,but it was handed in to the Tourist police about a week later,but I still used it for my reporting for visa till my new one arrived,and did that all year on the 90 day report til I needed to get retirement transferred.No problems all the way through,giggle.gif

"I've had mine replaced twice. Luckily I had made a copy of the license so I took one copy to the police station for a report, 20 Baht, and then one plus police report to DMV."

Did you need a Residence letter, which you can only get with a non immigrant visa I think??

"I've had mine replaced twice. Luckily I had made a copy of the license so I took one copy to the police station for a report, 20 Baht, and then one plus police report to DMV."

Did you need a Residence letter, which you can only get with a non immigrant visa I think??

For replacement residence letter is not required, and no, you can get a residence letter with all kinds of visa, some even give it with visa exempt entry.

• Like 1