Man jailed for phoning and texting ex-girlfriend 21,807 times

Lite Beer

Man jailed for phoning and texting ex-girlfriend 21,807 times

French man who harassed woman demanding compensation for work on apartment admits behaviour was 'stupid'

A 33-year-old French man has been sent to prison after phoning and texting his ex-girlfriend 21,807 times, admitting that, with hindsight, "it was stupid".

The unnamed defendant, who had made the calls to demand the woman thank him for fixing up their flat, was given a 10-month sentence – six months of which was suspended – and a €1,000 (£793) fine.

He will also have to undergo psychiatric treatment and is barred from all contact with the woman he harassed, lawyers in the case told AFP.

Read More: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/05/man-jailed-phoning-texting-ex-21807-times

--The Guardian 2014-09-05

• Like 1

So if the guy does it, it's a criminal offense. But if the woman (after an awkward one night stand) does the same thing, it's just.....normal ? rolleyes.gif

Good to see they have now set a precedent though. As long as you don't call/text more than 21,806 times (within a 10 month period) you should be OK. Call or text one more than that though and you'll end up in jail ! All he wanted was for her to thank him for fixing her apartment (sounds like he spent $$ fixing up her place and then she broke up with him). Hmmmmm.

(She apparently did thank him, eventually, after a mediator was brought in, and he stopped like he said he would, but afterwards ended up going to jail anyways. (A bit loony in any event. An average of 73 calls per day ?)

I'd be the other way. If I thought she'd taken me for a ride like that, I'd be blocking her number(s) in case she suddenly decided she loved me again (and what a coincidence, the plumbing needs fixing too) !

• Like 2

Not sure what happened between the two before.

But calling 21,806 times surely indicates some mental? psychiatric? emotional? condition.

The man should have been examined, treated, advised, - in short, helped, not sent to prison.

Having said this let us have a closer look at the woman:

-she could have 'blocked' his number;

-she could have changed her number;

-she could have complained to the phone company;

failing to take these reasonable steps she IMHO is guilty of entrapment, provocation, intent to harm using the existing Laws.

Pity the Judges presiding over our lives are not all Solomons.

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 2

Not sure what happened between the two before.

But calling 21,806 times surely indicates some mental? psychiatric? emotional? condition.

The man should have been examined, treated, advised, - in short, helped, not sent to prison.

Having said this let us have a closer look at the woman:

-she could have 'blocked' his number;

-she could have changed her number;

-she could have complained to the phone company;

failing to take these reasonable steps she IMHO is guilty of entrapment, provocation, intent to harm using the existing Laws.

Pity the Judges presiding over our lives are not all Solomons.

Yes she could have done a lot of things but hard to be in her shoes during those moments. unfortunatly.

This sounds like the very definition of obsession, or perhaps insanity. Could be used as a clinical study. Talk about not having a life. Talk about not seeing the forest beyond the trees. Talk about allowing your life to spin completely out of your own control. Talk about a very small, unfocused, and undisciplined mind this guy had. What a wasted life. What a poor excuse for a worthy existence. Glad the guy got jail time. Maybe he can reflect on how he allowed himself to become this diminished, as a human being. How low does your self esteem have to be, for you to do this to hear someone say thank you? What a super freak. What a loser. What a waste of oxygen.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What is the legal limit for text and phone calls, to be specific. I suppose it is harassment...but at what time does obnoxiousness become illegal? 50 a day sounds bad enough....I would say 10 to 20 times?

I would say 1 text or phone call is obnoxiousness after you have been asked not to call or write anymore. The second call should be considered harassment and followed with jail time.

If begging and groveling perhaps 3 or 4 could be considered. Anymore should result in a whipping.

Edited by Jimbolai