Why I would rather live in Thailand than America

flyingsaucersarereal

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with your post is that you cant say that about all of America as its such a large country and the cities and country folk are very different.

When i used to live in NYC the wormen where hotter than Bangkok, Apart from rent food, transport was top class and not expensive.

The people living upstate NYC in the countryside where very friendly and would be only happy to help you or hear your story.

The weather in the summer was nice and not so humit as Thailand and if the winter got too cool there is also florida not to far away. ( i autually prefere to have 4 seasons)

Police state maybe but i never had a run in with any police the 5 years i was there, been searched three times by Thai police in my 3 years in Thailand.

Also when it comes to have a problem in Thailand are Thais really friendilier to Farang?

Please hit me back OP with a reply im interested in your respones or from others too!

I am originally from California and the price difference from America to Thailand makes living in Thailand a huge plus.

When I was living in California I was paying approx 2k per month on my rented home. That same home would be 260 dollars in Thailand.

When you work in a American job in America and are exposed to the American consumer you see how rude and inconsiderate they are.

Thai people definitely have some behavior traits I don't like but for the most part they are much calmer.

In America there are a lot of gang bangers and people that just want to shoot off rude comments for no reason.

Your right I haven't been everywhere but I have traveled to many places in America so I have a decent idea about what most places are like.

Thats Fair enough OP,

But just to add my view i had a American job and worked with many companies and people in the states and found them to be professional, polite, and pretty descent overall off course you find rude people but thats water off a ducks back and are usually people with little money or education. Find them everywhere like tuks tuks in Bangkok.

The rent depends on location in Cali no?

Gangbangers are everywhere a bit like Thai police or the taxi mafia.

Dude, America is a continent so stop calling yourself An American.

You are a USA citizen and subject to fbar, fatca, etc.

Only real Mexican illegal immigrants can call themselves real American. You are not an American, you are a tax payer, a ssn... . You are something between the wonderful Canada and the lone Star state. smile.png

"Only real Mexican illegal immigrants can call themselves real American."

Tell me how the Mexicans came to speak Spanish?

Not to go too far off topic but I've been downloading Mexican colour palettes for the coming exterior paint up of one of the village homes. Extraordinary inspiration. I also like tacos.

Wouldn't want to live there though.

Sorry. Carry on.

The problem with your post is that you cant say that about all of America as its such a large country and the cities and country folk are very different.

When i used to live in NYC the wormen where hotter than Bangkok, Apart from rent food, transport was top class and not expensive.

The people living upstate NYC in the countryside where very friendly and would be only happy to help you or hear your story.

The weather in the summer was nice and not so humit as Thailand and if the winter got too cool there is also florida not to far away. ( i autually prefere to have 4 seasons)

Police state maybe but i never had a run in with any police the 5 years i was there, been searched three times by Thai police in my 3 years in Thailand.

Also when it comes to have a problem in Thailand are Thais really friendilier to Farang?

Please hit me back OP with a reply im interested in your respones or from others too!

I am originally from California and the price difference from America to Thailand makes living in Thailand a huge plus.

When I was living in California I was paying approx 2k per month on my rented home. That same home would be 260 dollars in Thailand.

When you work in a American job in America and are exposed to the American consumer you see how rude and inconsiderate they are.

Thai people definitely have some behavior traits I don't like but for the most part they are much calmer.

In America there are a lot of gang bangers and people that just want to shoot off rude comments for no reason.

Your right I haven't been everywhere but I have traveled to many places in America so I have a decent idea about what most places are like.

Thats Fair enough OP,

But just to add my view i had a American job and worked with many companies and people in the states and found them to be professional, polite, and pretty descent overall off course you find rude people but thats water off a ducks back and are usually people with little money or education. Find them everywhere like tuks tuks in Bangkok.

The rent depends on location in Cali no?

Gangbangers are everywhere a bit like Thai police or the taxi mafia.

From Southern California but have lived in Florida, Idaho, Nevada was in the military so I have lived a lot of places.

Also lived in Japan for years.

Edited by flyingsaucersarereal

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I grew up in Westchester County, north of New York City.

Now you can't even do minor repairs on your own home. You need a village permit and the work has to be done by a licenced contractor at grossly inflated prices.

That's just one of the many reasons that I like it better here.

I grew up in Westchester County, north of New York City.

Now you can't even do minor repairs on your own home. You need a village permit and the work has to be done by a licenced contractor at grossly inflated prices.

That's just one of the many reasons that I like it better here.

Organised crime in local government. Has to be.

In America you have a choice which state to live in. If nothing else, winters are too cold in New York for me.

New York is well-known as a nanny state. In most states you can do your own building. I could draw my own plans, get my permit, and do my own building including electrical and plumbing. I'd just have to meet the same codes and pass the same inspections that a tradesman would. The building department and inspectors would help me if I had questions.

It's Thailand where the electrical system is allowed to fry you in your own home due to no proper ground. This dangerous electrical system is done by the pros and government approved, or some such nonsense.

CMhomeboy you have to be taking the piss, i know Westchester County and have work in management with a construction / renovation company that often did jobs at the weekend for friends that were tax free. Come on a lot of the construction staff in NY were illegally working.

Edited by thai20144

1. Cheaper living is the main reason for me. Being from San Francisco, USA, makes that especially attractive since "tech-boom #2" is in full swing in the whole SF Bay Area and it is now even more expensive to live here than NYC.

2. I love Thai food a lot more than American cuisine.

3. There are many gorgeous beaches in the Bay Area, but the water is too cold to swim in them.

That being said, I am still not sold on making Thailand a permanent location and still keep my apartment in the SF Bay Area, living there 1/2 the year and Bangkok for the rest of the time. I sometimes tire of always feeling "on the outside looking in" as I do with many of my Thai friends. It is too hot and humid for too long. Mexican food here sucks compared to what I could get in California and traffic is more of a nightmare in Bangkok than it is in SF (which is bad also).

I tried living in Mexico for 2 years and gave up my place in San Francisco which was a big mistake. When I finally realized I was not as happy in Mexico as I wanted to be, I packed up and tried to re-establish myself in San Francisco. It was very difficult going back and finding work. I had to add to that the painful realization that my rent would be much higher than before I left. That's why this time I haven't cut my roots in SF yet. I need to be a lot more certain Thailand is the place for me this time around.

I have also lived in the Northern California area before extremely expensive Marin and SF.

1. Cheaper living is the main reason for me. Being from San Francisco, USA, makes that especially attractive since "tech-boom #2" is in full swing in the whole SF Bay Area and it is now even more expensive to live here than NYC.

3. There are many gorgeous beaches in the Bay Area, but the water is too cold to swim in them.

That being said, I am still not sold on making Thailand a permanent location and still keep my apartment in the SF Bay Area, living there 1/2 the year and Bangkok for the rest of the time. I sometimes tire of always feeling "on the outside looking in" as I do with many of my Thai friends. It is too hot and humid for too long. Mexican food here sucks compared to what I could get in California and traffic is more of a nightmare in Bangkok than it is in SF (which is bad also).

I tried living in Mexico for 2 years and gave up my place in San Francisco which was a big mistake. When I finally realized I was not as happy in Mexico as I wanted to be, I packed up and tried to re-establish myself in San Francisco. It was very difficult going back and finding work. I had to add to that the painful realization that my rent would be much higher than before I left. That's why this time I haven't cut my roots in SF yet. I need to be a lot more certain Thailand is the place for me this time around.

I think the best choice if you can is too keep your place in San Fran and spent your time between 50/50 with Thailand, now thats freedom. Good Luck and remember what they say that variety is the spice of life.

It's what I do. Works well.

I am moving more and more towards keeping both places. That way I can still spend quality time with family and friends in the SF Bay Area and escape the hot/dry and rainy periods in Bangkok.

• Like 1

I think the best choice if you can is too keep your place in San Fran and spent your time between 50/50 with Thailand, now thats freedom. Good Luck and remember what they say that variety is the spice of life.

Well done Sir. Definitely a life many dream off, Hats off...

Edited by thai20144

whistling.gif I am from Massachusetts.

Last time I was in Boston in the winter was last this in February 2014.

I was there for 10 days for some financial stuff I had to do.

In that time the temperature averaged from zero to 15 below zero, and that was Fahrenheit.

In those 10 days there were three storms that closed the airport down for 24 to 48 hours each time.

They had at least a foot of snow during those 10 days in those 3 storms.

The trip including hotels and living expenses cost me $3500 for those 10 days.

Any other questions?

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

whistling.gif I am from Massachusetts.

Last time I was in Boston in the winter was last this in February 2014.

I was there for 10 days for some financial stuff I had to do.

In that time the temperature averaged from zero to 15 below zero, and that was Fahrenheit.

In those 10 days there were three storms that closed the airport down for 24 to 48 hours each time.

They had at least a foot of snow during those 10 days in those 3 storms.

The trip including hotels and living expenses cost me $3500 for those 10 days.

Any other questions?

Boston is only a small part of America that is not advertise too much, IMO Boston is not my cup of Tea. But have you ever taught of ever discovering your own country states? Thats my only Question?

Edited by thai20144
  • Like 2

I am moving more and more towards keeping both places. That way I can still spend quality time with family and friends in the SF Bay Area and escape the hot/dry and rainy periods in Bangkok.

If you can then that's fine. If it causes you to be under too much financial pressure then stay put in the US.

All my infrastructure is set up in the UK and Thailand from over a decade back. But I couldn't do it now with forex rates and inflation as they are.

In fact it's getting harder each year even without major projects or one off costs.

In America you have a choice which state to live in. If nothing else, winters are too cold in New York for me.

New York is well-known as a nanny state. In most states you can do your own building. I could draw my own plans, get my permit, and do my own building including electrical and plumbing. I'd just have to meet the same codes and pass the same inspections that a tradesman would. The building department and inspectors would help me if I had questions.

It's Thailand where the electrical system is allowed to fry you in your own home due to no proper ground. This dangerous electrical system is done by the pros and government approved, or some such nonsense.

Electrocution is the fifth leading cause of occupational injury death.

Conclusions: Electrocution continues to be a significant cause of occupational death. Workers need to be provided with safety training and employers, particularly smaller employers, persuaded of the need for safety training.

In Thailand? NO. In the USA.

http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/8/4/306.full

Neversure has never operated a business in Chicago. Building inspectors..... Professional...... Ya Professional thieves. Phase One of Operation Crooked Code led to the arrest and conviction of six people, including five City of Chicago employees and one private contractor. They were arrested on federal bribery charges for exchanging cash payments with an undercover cooperating witness relating to various zoning and building permit matters. http://chicagoinspectorgeneral.org/major-initiatives/crooked-code/

• Like 1

Only real Mexican illegal immigrants can call themselves real American. You are not an American, you are a tax payer, a ssn... . You are something between the wonderful Canada and the lone Star state. smile.png

Not to go too far off topic but I've been downloading Mexican colour palettes for the coming exterior paint up of one of the village homes. Extraordinary inspiration. I also like tacos.

Sorry. Carry on.

Tacos are the shit.

• Like 1

Sorry. Carry on.

Tacos are the shit.

I like those burrito things too.

• Like 1

To all dudes who call themselves proudly to be American, please there is no America country. It s like saying my country is Europe.

If you ask an European what is his country, he will not tell you Europe. If he says so he is a total moron.

In europe you have france, Italy, UK... Europe is not a country.

America is not a country, there are continents for Pete sake.! So US dudes here, you are not American. You are USA dudes.

Cappice ?

1Amer·i·can

noun \ə-ˈmer-ə-kən, -ˈmər-, -ˈme-rə-\

: a person born, raised, or living in the U.S.

I think you better go back to Italy and leave my fellow Americans in the USA.

I gotta think John F. Kennedy knew a bit more about America than you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MfXdfXsyNA

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man. Finally, whether you are citizens of America or citizens of the world, ask of us the same high standards of strength and sacrifice which we ask of you. With a good conscience our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help, but knowing that here on earth God's work must truly be our own.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

I like Thailand because there are not many Americans.

I like living in Thailand -- a Brit once told me that I was a nice guy, for an American.

I hear this often. Sort of a typical British sense of superiority. Their culture and society is perfect so the attitude is justified. Their women are great, the cuisine is amazing, and their contributions to contemporary society are vast. I assume it is often meant in jest. But, I doubt they realize how poor a joke it is.

Agreed... it's a sense of superiority, they wouldn't recognize it as a joke.

The famous British sense of humour didn't survive the loss of their Empire... since then there hasn't been much to laugh about.

• Like 1

4. Almost year round perfect weather. Here in Thailand the weather is much better then America for beach fun or riding motorcycles.

Agree with most of the O/P and as someone who left Chicago over 40 years ago and have seen snow only a few times first-hand since.

lake_shore_drive_108758595.jpg