Scottish independence: Yes camp hails 'momentum'

Lite Beer

Oh and none of you chose to comment on my clip showing Mark Carney stating the Bank of England will back the Scottish pound.

It was a very short clip. Do you have a link to one that lasts a little longer so we can listen in context?

.....I gave you the link.....some people are just never going to be happy.

Anyway....we are voting YES on Thursday so you can hear the currency agreement sometime after that.....probably after Cameron/Osborne lose a vote of confidence at Westminster.

This is all gonna make great telly!

• Like 2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was a 19 second clip. You pointed that out yourself in the post that you posted the link in. You told us to make sure we watched all 19 seconds. All I'm asking is for a video that is a bit longer with a little more context.

Edit for spelling

Edited by sustento
  • Like 1

It was a 19 second clip. You pointed that out yourself in the post that you posted the link in. You told us to make sure we watched all 19 seconds. All I'm asking is for a video that is a bit longer with a little more context.

Edit for spelling

No I don't....go searching if you like.

If there is a Yes then it would be in the interests of the rest of the Uk to strike the best possible deal for the remaining three parts of the Kingdom. Expect a big bill on the way out and no mercy in the separation negotiations after all the Westminster parliament holds all the cards and it is an acrimonius divorce.. That said good luck if it is a yes !

• Like 1

If there is a Yes then it would be in the interests of the rest of the Uk to strike the best possible deal for the remaining three parts of the Kingdom. Expect a big bill on the way out and no mercy in the separation negotiations after all the Westminster parliament holds all the cards and it is an acrimonius divorce.. That said good luck if it is a yes !

Westminster holds all of the debt and virtually none of the oil. Maybe we will show you some mercy.

• Like 1

Westminster holds all of the debt and virtually none of the oil. Maybe we will show you some mercy.

Fish. Not to forget the fish.

Also whiskey, tartan, finest tweed and Begby.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In 1959 after becoming independent from Great Britain, the British Virgin Islands simply adopted the US dollar, which they still use. Many countries have done that. Many create their own currency and then trade it 1:1 for USD to create some feeling of security for users of their currencies.

I don't have an opinion about the upcoming vote, but Scotland wouldn't find it difficult to adopt a major currency.

The British Virgin Islands is in the Caribbean, has a population of 27,000 and has no industry at all to speak of. Trying to compare them to Scotland is simply absurd cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

That said though Sus, Bermuda uses the USD and retains British law I think.

All I can remember is was extremely hot and humid there, especially around mid-afternoon.

The official currency of Bermuda is the Bermudan dollar which is pegged to the US Dollar. Their flag is the defaced Red Ensign.

You entirely missed the point, son. I said that many countries have either adopted the USD or used the USD to back their money by promising to trade their money 1:1 for USD.

In your own "unique" style, you have failed to refute anything I said.

This is on topic for an independent Scotland: What would it do for a currency? I gave one easy solution. Others are available. End of.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oh and none of you chose to comment on my clip showing Mark Carney stating the Bank of England will back the Scottish pound.

In that he states it quite clearly....even saying he knows many are hanging on his comments....well he said it....so do you believe him or the Tory government?

The Bank of England doesn't have to back the Scottish currency. Scotland can, on its own, simply promise to trade its new currency 1:1 for pounds or dollars and do fine with that as so many countries have done, at least with the USD.

Scotland doesn't need the Bank of England for anything.

As for the rest of all of this - debt, oil, income, taxes, jobs, etc., I don't know and don't have an opinion on the upcoming vote.

Smokie. Re 'English debt'

No, the money markets see 10% of it as Scotland's debt that is that, 132 billion I think, or 5 billion a year interest. Default on this and Scotland will be locked out of capital markets. it's important because as each bond matures it needs to be replaced by new borrowings. Oil revenue falls well short and right from day one there is a budget shortfall.

Pretty sure of all this, if you read today's newspapers you will see it is the Yank line too. Deutsche bank last week warned of similar.

As Salmond has said we will peg to the pound and pay our share..... No problem there.

I thought he said he wanted currency union, and will pay his share !

When listening to Salmond you have to understand his idea of reality and actual facts are vastly different, so don't expect his share to be much!

In order to join/stay in the EU which they want to do Scotland has to have a lender of last resort (a central bank) which is the function that the Bank of England performs for them at the moment. If rUK refuses a currency union the Scots will have to set up one of their own. It's not quite as simple as just pegging their money to someone else's.

It was a very short clip. Do you have a link to one that lasts a little longer so we can listen in context?

Anyway....we are voting YES on Thursday so you can hear the currency agreement sometime after that.....probably after Cameron/Osborne lose a vote of confidence at Westminster.

And what happens to Salmond the man that split the people of Scotland down the middle? surely you Scots are not going to worship him for doing that?

In order to join/stay in the EU which they want to do Scotland has to have a lender of last resort (a central bank) which is the function that the Bank of England performs for them at the moment. If rUK refuses a currency union the Scots will have to set up one of their own. It's not quite as simple as just pegging their money to someone else's.

I don't see Scotland as having to join the EU at all.....this has all to be debated later....between different parties vying for government and possibly a referendum later on this issue depending on the terms of any such agreement.

• Like 1

And what happens to Salmond the man that split the people of Scotland down the middle? surely you Scots are not going to worship him for doing that?

Good question.....perhaps his role will be over having taken Scotland this far....who can say at this point?

We're voting for independence now....I think still it will be close....but I reckon YES will swing it on Thursday.

That makes both sides YES and NO thinking the same,have a look at the odds given by the Bookies,they usually get the big forecast correct! and it's more than a 1 or 2 % margin!

You entirely missed the point, son. I said that many countries have either adopted the USD or used the USD to back their money by promising to trade their money 1:1 for USD.

This is on topic for an independent Scotland: What would it do for a currency? I gave one easy solution. Others are available. End of.

I didn't miss the point at all. You're trying to compare an island with a small population and a GDP of $800 million and no real industry with a country with a GDP of $130 billion and lots of industry and financial ties with the rest of the UK and saying that the same system would work in both.

BTW I'm not your son.

I don't see Scotland as having to join the EU at all.....this has all to be debated later....between different parties vying for government and possibly a referendum later on this issue depending on the terms of any such agreement.

I didn't say they had to but I thought that membership of the EU is one of their ambitions/goals?

We're voting for independence now....I think still it will be close....but I reckon YES will swing it on Thursday.

That makes both sides YES and NO thinking the same,have a look at the odds given by the Bookies,they usually get the big forecast correct! and it's more than a 1 or 2 % margin!

look at the no Facebook page poll....that is interesting.....

I didn't say they had to but I thought that membership of the EU is one of their ambitions/goals?

One of who's goals?

One of who's goals?

Scotland's.

look at the no Facebook page poll....that is interesting.....

By my Judgement! either Cameron or Salmond,once the Postmortems are over will get their marching orders, Politics being such a dirty business, there will probably be mumblings or gatherings of men in grey suits already!

One of who's goals?

Scotland's.

You don't see how ridiculous your replly is?

There is no political group called "Scotland".... No decision on EU membership can be made by an independent Scotland until we have a mandate to debate this issue.

I didn't miss the point at all. You're trying to compare an island with a small population and a GDP of $800 million and no real industry with a country with a GDP of $130 billion and lots of industry and financial ties with the rest of the UK and saying that the same system would work in both.

BTW I'm not your son.

Sorry. I should have said "sonny."

Countries using the US dollar exclusively
British Virgin Islands.
Caribbean Netherlands (from 1 January 2011)
East Timor (uses its own coins)
Ecuador (uses its own coins in addition to U.S. coins; Ecuador adopted the US dollar as its legal tender in 2000.) ...
El Salvador.
Marshall Islands.
Countries where the USD is either the official currency, or it can be used and interchanged with the countries' currencies.
British Virgin Islands
Ecuador
Panama
Bahamas
Turks and Caicos
Vietnam
Cambodia
Nicaragua
Belize

LINK

Of course it's about oil, do you think there would be this push for separation without the discovery of North Sea oil. As for it being exhausted, it's not only Westminster that is saying this, also Scotsman Ian Wood( see post 1253 ) who should know more about this subject than the politicians and their puppets, be they in London or Edinburgh. Then include the figures for the loss of the Edinburgh financial sector as explained by another Scottish economist in an earlier post.

But please do go ahead with your "YES" vote hopefully to be followed by a big Edinburgh party, it will provide some comic relief for the English before they prepare for the influx of jobs from north of the boarder.

Talking about jobs,on the BBC a SNP MP was on the Referendom News this morning,whinging about 40,000 Younsters a year are forced to leave Scotland to seek Jobs,you can bet your last English £Pound,39,000 of the Jobseekers will be heading for England! Just goes to show how out of touch and insular the SNP is.

Scottish waters hold 2/3rds of European oil already and some new discoveries are huge. As for Scots leaving to work it has been going on for generations - look all over the world for their influence.

Can I refer you to post 1253 regarding an interview with Scotsman IAN WOOd one of the most knowledgable figures in the North Sea oil industry, he does't seem to think there is much of a future in North Sea oil,In spite of his earlier figures being twisted by the Nationalist propaganda machine.

The Wood Group are an oilfield services company, not an oil company. Oil and gas reserve estimation is the remit of earth scientists such a geologists and geophysicists and not the people that provide the boats for them do conduct their reservoir studies.

Sir Ian Wood is just doing his bit for the benefit of those who gave him his gong. His family made their billions by selling their shares in Wood Group ages ago.

Notably, unlike the 'Scottish' banks, he has said absolutely nothing about moving the Wood Group global head office from Aberdeen in the result of a Yes vote.

BTW I'm not your son.

Sorry. I should have said "sonny."

Countries using the US dollar exclusively
British Virgin Islands.
Caribbean Netherlands (from 1 January 2011)
East Timor (uses its own coins)
Ecuador (uses its own coins in addition to U.S. coins; Ecuador adopted the US dollar as its legal tender in 2000.) ...
El Salvador.
Marshall Islands.
Countries where the USD is either the official currency, or it can be used and interchanged with the countries' currencies.
British Virgin Islands
Ecuador
Panama
Bahamas
Turks and Caicos
Vietnam
Cambodia
Nicaragua
Belize

LINK

They are all countries either in South America or who have connections with the US dollar. The finances and industry of Scotland and the rest of the UK are much more intertwined. Simplistic answers don't solve complex problems.

Why don't you just call me 'boy' Massa?

Edited by sustento