photo speeding ticket

chorizo

There is one on highway 11 southbound under the Mahidol rd. overpass almost every day. If they ever change the location I and many others will be getting a photo in the mail. It is common practice to slow when approaching the camera, which is mostly hidden behind a pillar, and then speed up after passing it.

• Like 1

Radar on #11 southbound lane under Don Chan underpass yesterday.... meanwhile, Police were conducting rego and compliance checks in northbound lanes. No probs for me either way but I hope they nabbed the F-wits doing ~ 100kmph who weaved across lanes with no indicators used.

These cameras are now threw out Thailand and I mean threw out..whistling.gifclap2.gif BTW the tickets goes against the owner of the vehicle and must paid before it can be register again.

Spello/correction: throughout. {Hope you don't mind me being picky}

I believe an unpaid fine doubles when attached to rego renewal.

• Like 1

There was a cop taking pictures at the Rin Com intersection around 11:30 this morning. I noticed that most of the Thais stayed behind the white lines. Several bikes in front, all ridden by western drivers. A few were obviously tourists, but there were a two locals that I recognized. The cop also snapped a photo of a Thai going through the red light.

I have had 3 in the past year.... a couple driving around BKK on one of the motorways and one on the main road from Lampang. Feels like being back in the UK!

The speed limit on parts of the superhighway to Lampang are ridiculous....50km/h..... that in itself is hazardous.

Fine turns up in post and is 400bht.

These cameras are now threw out Thailand and I mean threw out..whistling.gifclap2.gif BTW the tickets goes against the owner of the vehicle and must paid before it can be register again.

Spello/correction: throughout. {Hope you don't mind me being picky}

I believe an unpaid fine doubles when attached to rego renewal.

Gee, last time I did that, I got a Nasty Note and a suspension. Take care, you might upset someone.

Then I installed a plate flipper. Now I speed past these cameras with impunity, only flipping the plate back up as I cruise into towns or past police boxes.

I never knew such a thing existed....but "the google" confirms it. Learn something new every day.

It's a great unit. I bought one from this guy: http://www.speedflip.com/

Expensive, but great quality. Very smooth operation with servo motor. Some of the cheaper ones out there are junk that are operated by a solenoid and slap up and down.

I have a bike. You might need a front and rear set for an automobile. Bobby at speedflip will make a package deal for a group purchase of 10 or more. I was unable to stir up enough interest, but maybe somebody else can.

On those flippers you would need a front & rear here.

Actually I do not know if all cameras are the same but a year ago I had

a photo sent to me for speeding & it had both a front & rear shot

Front shot you could clearly see my face.

Was in Lampang & fine was 400 baht

I thought it might be funny instead of money order to send a picture of 400 baht but thought better of it whistling.gif

Thai/Western sense of humor is not the same laugh.png

Edited by mania

I thought it might be funny instead of money order to send a picture of 400 baht but thought better of it whistling.gif

Next time, wear a Thaksin Shinawatra mask over your face. Depending on the persuasion of whoever gets the picture at the department, the ticket will either be thrown away, or, you will be deported and blacklisted. I always smile and wave when I see the camera and am using my plate flipper. I think it's funny, but my wife assures me that it is only a matter of time . . . As you said: Thai/Western sense of humor is not the same.

Since they could clearly see you in your car, I wonder if you had been talking on the phone and had no seat belt on if they would have cited you for all three (and suspended your license for three strikes in one year)?

Edited by noendtoit

Speed tickets, speed Flip.? Why you need a speed Flip if you drive normal?

Or are a lot of people thinking they are above THE law in this country.

Pfffffff 400b for an speed ticket, do iT in your country and ask if you could pay 400b because you live most of THE time in Thailand.

Speed Flip, if they catch you with iT they must charge you directly 10.000b same as THE drivers without number plates

Next time, wear a Thaksin Shinawatra mask over your face. Depending on the persuasion of whoever gets the picture at the department, the ticket will either be thrown away, or, you will be deported and blacklisted. I always smile and wave when I see the camera and am using my plate flipper. I think it's funny, but my wife assures me that it is only a matter of time . . . As you said: Thai/Western sense of humor is not the same.

Since they could clearly see you in your car, I wonder if you had been talking on the phone and had no seat belt on if they would have cited you for all three (and suspended your license for three strikes in one year)?

I trust when they finally get you they throw the book at you.

Just sayin!

Used to know a guy in UK with a Superbike who swore by his plate flipper--not something I am prepared to risk in this country, though--they actually don't lend themselves to cars, with the front/rear installation, IMHO.

No one wants a ticket but, at 400Bht, it's affordable on occasions.

Speed tickets, speed Flip.? Why you need a speed Flip if you drive normal?

Or are a lot of people thinking they are above THE law in this country.

Pfffffff 400b for an speed ticket, do iT in your country and ask if you could pay 400b because you live most of THE time in Thailand.

Speed Flip, if they catch you with iT they must charge you directly 10.000b same as THE drivers without number plates

"Normal" and "legal" are not the same thing here. I have absolutely no worry whatsoever about being charged 10,000 baht for the plateflipper. I have spoken with many Thai police and have yet to find the one I did not get on well with. Everything is negotiable.

A step in the right direction.

Anything to deter drivers from being lunatics here is a blessing.

It will take a long time but have to start somewhere.

No. We dont need this place going the same way as the uk and australia with revenue raising cameras everywhere and nonsense low speed limits.

Id rather drive to common sense then have to stress about my speed all the time

Drivers will still be lunatics either way

Then I installed a plate flipper. Now I speed past these cameras with impunity, only flipping the plate back up as I cruise into towns or past police boxes.

I never knew such a thing existed....but "the google" confirms it. Learn something new every day.

They are great for motorbikes as you only need 1 and can make it yourself cheaply with a few parts while being less obvious

• Like 1

No. We dont need this place going the same way as the uk and australia with revenue raising cameras everywhere and nonsense low speed limits.

We? Please... speak for yourself. I'd like to see a radar trap in the middle of every block. And an enforced point system on licenses to stop these speeders While the speeders may not get into accidents themselves, they certainly exacerbate the insanity on the roads. Not all roads designed for speed. Certainly not Moon Muang or Huay Kaew. To drive from Hang Dong straight through town to Loco Elvis at 30kph over than the speed limit will get a person there about 3 minutes faster. 3 minutes! But doing so risks the lives of people who may not be in such a rush for something so important as a beer. Risk someone's life to save 3 minutes? For a beer?

What is the hurry?

Just because I may have the skills necessary to negotiate traffic faster or drag my knee going around a curve does not mean that it is safe to do so. It does, however, mean that I will be putting OTHER PEOPLE at risk if I do so.

I like riding fast. I like racing. But public streets aren't the place for it.

Edited by FolkGuitar

I trust when they finally get you they throw the book at you.

Just sayin!

Not likely. If you know how to play the game, everybody can finish happy. Of course it helps to speak Thai. It also helps to know the right people.

We? Please... speak for yourself. I'd like to see a radar trap in the middle of every block. And an enforced point system on licenses to stop these speeders While the speeders may not get into accidents themselves, they certainly exacerbate the insanity on the roads. Not all roads designed for speed. Certainly not Moon Muang or Huay Kaew. To drive from Hang Dong straight through town to Loco Elvis at 30kph over than the speed limit will get a person there about 3 minutes faster. 3 minutes! But doing so risks the lives of people who may not be in such a rush for something so important as a beer. Risk someone's life to save 3 minutes? For a beer?

What is the hurry?

Just because I may have the skills necessary to negotiate traffic faster or drag my knee going around a curve does not mean that it is safe to do so. It does, however, mean that I will be putting OTHER PEOPLE at risk if I do so.

If you like all the regulations and enforcement, perhaps you should return to wherever you came from so you can have it. Some of us came here to get away from all that. We prefer personal responsibility and live and let live. Of course it is not sensible to "open it up" going through a small village, but there is nothing morally wrong with it out on an open highway with little traffic, and this is often where these traps are placed.

• Like 1

What is the hurry?

If you like all the regulations and enforcement, perhaps you should return to wherever you came from so you can have it. Some of us came here to get away from all that. We prefer personal responsibility and live and let live.

No need. The laws are in effect here. Why did you come to a place that had the very laws you wish to disregard? That makes no sense at all. Perhaps you need to move to a place where there aren't such laws.

The laws are in effect to protect the general public from people too selfish to understand the results that their actions have on others. It's not a matter of 'personal responsibility.' That only involves your life. Reckless endangerment of speeding through town involves other lives.

I completely agree with you that you should be allowed to risk your life. You're just not allowed to risk other people's lives without their consent just for your own pleasure.

As my last line states, I like riding fast. I like racing. But public streets aren't the place for it.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 2

What is the hurry?

If you like all the regulations and enforcement, perhaps you should return to wherever you came from so you can have it. Some of us came here to get away from all that. We prefer personal responsibility and live and let live.

No need. The laws are in effect here. Why did you come to a place that had the very laws you wish to disregard? That makes no sense at all. Perhaps you need to move to a place where there aren't such laws.

The laws are in effect to protect the general public from people too selfish to understand the results that their actions have on others. It's not a matter of 'personal responsibility.' That only involves your life. Reckless endangerment of speeding through town involves other lives.

I completely agree with you that you should be allowed to risk your life. You're just not allowed to risk other people's lives without their consent just for your own pleasure.

As my last line states, I like riding fast. I like racing. But public streets aren't the place for it.

Easy answer. Where you come from they enforce the letter of the law, which is not always rational. Here it is more the spirit of the law. Personal responsibility is not limited to oneself. A member of society has a personal responsibility not to recklessly endanger or injure others, and I fully accept that responsibility. If I fail and I do injure somebody, the law will surely come into play and I will pay. I do not drive or ride recklessly, but where there is no harm or elevated risk to others, there is nothing wrong with riding over the often arbitrary limit -- or going through a stop sign or red light, when you can see a kilometer in every direction and there is nobody there. Acting selfishly is not acting responsibly.

"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools." Honor the spirit of the law here and you will not have any problems. That is not enough where you come from.

Some people would rather be spoon fed than think for themselves.

• Like 2

Easy answer. Where you come from they enforce the letter of the law, which is not always rational. Here it is more the spirit of the law. Personal responsibility is not limited to oneself. A member of society has a personal responsibility not to recklessly endanger or injure others, and I fully accept that responsibility. If I fail and I do injure somebody, the law will surely come into play and I will pay.

I guess the difference is in our own definition of 'personal responsibility...

You say "A member of society has a personal responsibility not to recklessly endanger or injure others, and I fully accept that responsibility. If I fail and I do injure somebody, the law will surely come into play and I will pay."

I say " A member of society has a personal responsibility not to recklessly endanger or injure others, and I fully accept that responsibility. Because I fully accept that responsibility, I won't risk injury to other people for my own pleasure.

I was in a shop once, and while walking around, accidentally knocked over and busted a $50 vase with my shoulder bag. I felt very badly about it. It certainly was my responsibility, so I paid the shop owner the $50. But even though I paid the full amount due for that error, and apologized profusely, the vase remained broken...

Paying for mistakes doesn't fix them.

Easy answer. Where you come from they enforce the letter of the law, which is not always rational. Here it is more the spirit of the law. Personal responsibility is not limited to oneself. A member of society has a personal responsibility not to recklessly endanger or injure others, and I fully accept that responsibility. If I fail and I do injure somebody, the law will surely come into play and I will pay.

I guess the difference is in our own definition of 'personal responsibility...

You say "A member of society has a personal responsibility not to recklessly endanger or injure others, and I fully accept that responsibility. If I fail and I do injure somebody, the law will surely come into play and I will pay."

I say " A member of society has a personal responsibility not to recklessly endanger or injure others, and I fully accept that responsibility. Because I fully accept that responsibility, I won't risk injury to other people for my own pleasure.

I was in a shop once, and while walking around, accidentally knocked over and busted a $50 vase with my shoulder bag. I felt very badly about it. It certainly was my responsibility, so I paid the shop owner the $50. But even though I paid the full amount due for that error, and apologized profusely, the vase remained broken...

Paying for mistakes doesn't fix them.

Well good for you. I'm sure the shop owner was very happy as she made a sale. Paying for our mistakes are the only way we have of balancing the scales. You go your way and I'll go mine. Cheers and g'day to you.

Note to self, never carry a large purse into a knickknack shop.

• Like 1